• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This goes out to everyone learning Underused Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I just feel most comfortable with Bowser, and he's amazingly fun to play. Not a matter of proving to the world Bowser is viable but it's pretty satisfying to win with him.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I main Yoshi. He's an awesome character and I absolutely love how he plays in Brawl. I was at one point really considering using a much more tournament viable character like G&W just because I felt Yoshi wouldn't cut it once I start going to tournaments, but I know that victory with Yoshi would be so much sweeter. Thanks for giving me and all the other people who use underused characters some hope.

*claps*
I'm glad that I was able to give you some inspiration ;). That's cool that you use Yoshi, get em in a DIINOOOOO COMMBOO :D.

I use Yoshi, and I always have, but I really don't like how he has been nerfed again.... I'm not gonna give up on him though. Although I made G&W my secondary so that I wouldn't get destroyed by Falco...
Another Dino mainer eh? Sweet stuff. I don't blame you for using a secondary to take on tournament characters, but remember- although it is a harder path, you can train your Yoshi to deal with Falco. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors with Yoshi. :3.

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
That's awesome that you use Peach :). She is amazing, and SO fun to use. She's so fast to! It's awesome. :3
She's so the fastest character in the game. >.>

My list.

- Ice Climbers
- Mr. Game and Watch
- Toon Link
- Peach
- Lucas

Edit: rofl I left Pit out.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
As a Link mainer and constantly having alot of trouble with Falcos and the occasional Pit it gets really frustrating ..it almost makes me want to main a different character but my love for Link just won't let me do it ..thank you for this inspiring piece, that one day, i may laugh after being 'chaingrabbed to spiked' by a falco ::slices wrist::

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I just feel most comfortable with Bowser, and he's amazingly fun to play. Not a matter of proving to the world Bowser is viable but it's pretty satisfying to win with him.

As long as you play Bowser and show people up with him, you'll be getting second looks from people going 'wha?!" ;P. I'm glad you like using Bowser. B00Z3R IZ CUT3!

Edit- Lol me and P and N totally quoted the same person at once.

Amide

Smash Lord
I'll admit, I am one of those 'tier titans.' Maybe I should go back to using TL though, he was fun. But I'll admit, beating a friend with my MK is cool, but it's 10 times as good to won with Jiggs.

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
As long as you play Bowser and show people up with him, you'll be getting second looks from people going 'wha?!" ;P. I'm glad you like using Bowser. B00Z3R IZ CUT3!

I think the disadvantages over Ice Climbers are..

- Jigglypuff
- Olimar
- Toon Link
- Game and Watch
- Pit
- Ice Climbers (lol)
- Kirby
- META KNIGHT!! -stares at Kawaii Bunny from afar and sits there-

Edit: Ew not Falco.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I'll admit, I am one of those 'tier titans.' Maybe I should go back to using TL though, he was fun. But I'll admit, beating a friend with my MK is cool, but it's 10 times as good to won with Jiggs.
And you see, these are the posts that I like to see. Even though you are a tier titan, you to understand that it is such a fulfilling thing to win using something outside of the metagame as of now. And it's not a totally bad thing to be a tier titan! I mean without tier titans we don't have a metagame for entrepreneurs to work on! I respect you for open mindness to Entrepreneurs, and for the fact that you to admit it would be fun being one as well. :)

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I would define an underused character personally as follows- "Any character whom is winning few to no tournaments at this current time, and/or who has major difficulty (if the possibility even exists) of placing top 8 or higher at a medium to large scale tournament event."

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman

That's Glorious Lord Bowser to you.

Any of the following titles are also appropriate.

His Grouchiness
King Bowser
Lord Bowser
Mr. Bowser
The Great Bowser
The Glory that Is the Great Evil Lord Bowser
His Gnarliness
His Filthiness
His Rancidness
His Awfulness
His Massiveness
His Chunkiness

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
i main oli, but i do so b/c he fits my playing style....although people who main snake or MK exclusively because they're the best characters in the game make me sick to my stomach

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I chose my mains before the game even came out (Kirby, Metaknight, Ice Climbers, Ness, Diddy Kong)

Three of those mains have characters that are so frustrating to beat. And Snake beats all of them, Zelda has always been a pain because I main close range characters, and Game and Watch is also tough. I know it's gonna take alot of time, but I know if I keep fighting them I'll learn to overcome them. It's just that my main main (Kirby) is so short ranged it's gonna be even harder for him to learn how to fight them.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
The most important thing to remember out of this speech is that THE METAGAME IS YOUNG. I almost gave up on Falcon, but now I'm active on the boards (as are many other members. There's been a Falcon Renaissance). One of the reasons why Falcon is sometimes considered the worse is because he is so underplayed. Nobody has used him to his potential. That goes for all underused characters. If nobody bothered to play them, they'll never get better. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if you say this early in the game "that character sucks, I won't use him." He sucks BECAUSE few people use him and try to unlock his potential. As the OP says, look at Snake.

However, it never hurts to have secondaries. I'm going to pick up ROB and Wario so I'll have more options. However, Falcon will be my main.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
And I believe in you! Hats off to you for showing everyone what's up with your underused mains, I admire your selfless efforts towards the smash community, and your main.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Remember, everyone, even you Kidd 01...

Some day entrepreneurs can become so great that they influence others to play that character, and help that character become a tier titan. No one played Snake to a high level before PsychoMidget. Ikki was the very first to use Dedede's chain grab. Without VirtualVoid's guides, many people would have a hard time figuring out the Ice Climbers.

What matters is that we always remember who the original entrepreneurs were before those certain characters became great, and that we appreciate them.

As for me, I really feel I am bringing out Sheik's unbelievably high potential. For me to beat Snake players with ease? It's very satisfying. She does have certain disadvantages, but you are right Kidd 01: I am finding ways to conquer them.

It was only recently that I considered counter picking instead... but this thread has turned me around for the better.

Metaknight, my Sheik is coming for you!!

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Well...I've been maining Ness since N64 and I fall in love with him in every game. I guess I'm the greatest entrepreneur.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Right, never forget the original entrepreneurs...as a Peach main, although this is Brawl and not Melee, I will never forget Mike.G aka BikeLee aka Evil Peach 18 aka Peach IRL aka MICHAEL GORDON! aka Mike.GMONEY! who selflessly went out of his way to pick up Peach in melee when nobody had any faith in her. And look what happened! Peachs went IN SEASON baby. IN SEASON.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Wow, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised no one has come in here yet whining about 'playing to win' and 'scrubs'. 5 pages and no pessimism? That's an achievement in and of itself. :laugh:

As a Link main, but more importantly as a player trying to get the metagame to evolve, I agree entirely. It's very easy to take the low road and just main a 'high tier' character (which technically don't exist yet, but whatever), but if everyone does that this early on, there will be no metagame evolution, and the game will stagnate (worse than it is now, at any rate). The 'Entrepreneurs' really do deserve some credit for maining characters this early in the game that are at a disadvantage; people who take those kinds of risks are the people that make or break the scene, so kudos to everyone here.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yeah, you're right Jack, it is surprising.

I think it leaves us all in good spirits that, because of Brawl's young age, players are willing to sympathize with less-recognized characters and bring out their potential.

D

Deleted member

I main Sonic sometimes and he is really low (not like i care) it is getting real old getting beat by Wario, Meta Knight, and Snake though.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I really respect and admire all the entrepeneurs out there. When in history has the easy way ever been more rewarding than the hard way?

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I WILL make Peach regain her former glory.

She has the potential. I just need to forget everything I learned in Melee. XD

Also, I've got a pretty decent Squirtle at this point, so I just need to work on my Ivysaur and Charizard.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Wow, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised no one has come in here yet whining about 'playing to win' and 'scrubs'. 5 pages and no pessimism? That's an achievement in and of itself. :laugh:

As a Link main, but more importantly as a player trying to get the metagame to evolve, I agree entirely. It's very easy to take the low road and just main a 'high tier' character (which technically don't exist yet, but whatever), but if everyone does that this early on, there will be no metagame evolution, and the game will stagnate (worse than it is now, at any rate). The 'Entrepreneurs' really do deserve some credit for maining characters this early in the game that are at a disadvantage; people who take those kinds of risks are the people that make or break the scene, so kudos to everyone here.
That's a cool way of looking at it. Aside from all of the audacity to main disadvantageous characters, it's the entrepeneurs who will most likely keep the game progessing. Man, what else does this thread have to offer?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I'm all about playing to win ( I have Sirlin's book, "Playing to Win"), but it's too early in Brawl's metagame to just stick with 5 or so characters. In Melee, yes, you have reason to go with Marth/Fox/Falco if you go to a tourney. They are time-tested and good. Right now, entrepreneurs are playing to learn and playing to discover, along with playing to win.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Great read Kidd. This thread is definitely sticky worthy. I main Ike and secondary ZSS, but primarily use Marth for tournaments. Ever since the game came out I was determined to use Ike. Then, a couple of days later I started using ZSS and fell in love with her playstyle. However, over the past couple of months I've stopped using her because I had trouble using her well so I gave up. However, you've inspired me to pick her up again and for that I thank you. You have my upmost gratitude and I will make my Zamus a force to be reckoned with.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Great read Kidd. This thread is definitely sticky worthy. I main Ike and secondary ZSS, but primarily use Marth for tournaments. Ever since the game came out I was determined to use Ike. Then, a couple of days later I started using ZSS and fell in love with her playstyle. However, over the past couple of months I've stopped using her because I had trouble using her well so I gave up. However, you've inspired me to pick her up again and for that I thank you. You have my upmost gratitude and I will make my Zamus a force to be reckoned with.
Oh wow, thanks for the sticky mention! I really appreciate that, I really do. :). I'm so glad though that you've considered going back to your old main also-I don’t see many Zamus players running about. Can’t wait to see how you influence the Zamus community. ;D

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I main Sonic sometimes and he is really low (not like i care) it is getting real old getting beat by Wario, Meta Knight, and Snake though.
Wario actually isn't that hard to beat with Sonic. Yes his dair is really annoying, and his aerials in general can give you problems, but he has absolutely no answer for a well timed side B. It eats through every single one of his attacks, and actually combos into three of your aerials (uair, nair, and fair). Edgeguarding him is also fairly easy since it's really always: second jumpl, bike, jump off bike, up B. So what do you do? Hit him when he jumps off the bike, or earlier. Or if he tries to get the ledge with his up B a lot, just leave a spring over the edge, dair to get back down, and edgehog him

Oh, and if he takes his bike out on the stage, don't let him get rid of it. And if he does eat the bike (the fastest way to get rid of it), you should either be getting a free side B combo...or recovering because there's no way in hell that he's going to have time to do that while you're on the stage.

It's stuff like this that's required to make the metagame evolve at all, only right now we need to put the primary focus on strategies against Metaknight and Snake.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
He's particularly popular on the West Coast, I've noticed. But we must give thanks to the original Wario players who decided to step outside the norm and make this character too good. Even Wario had an Entrepreneur play him at one point, as I said in my speech. :)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Sonic is by far the most misunderstood, looked down upon character in the game. Nobody respects Sonic at all and write him off as sucky. I'm starting to look into tournaments, I'm gonna do Sonic some justice. I don't know how I'll do, maybe I'm not qualified to do this. Oh what the heck, someone's gotta step up anyway in my area where top tiers run everything. If anything i got Ice Climbers to back me up (Why are they so darn adorable, I can't drop them arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!).

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, thanks for the sticky mention! I really appreciate that, I really do. :). I'm so glad though that you've considered going back to your old main also-I don’t see many Zamus players running about. Can’t wait to see how you influence the Zamus community. ;D
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before, but I've always have secondaried her because I was already set on Ike being my main in Brawl. It's just that when I wasn't doing well with Zamus against characters such as Snake and Meta, I gave up on playing her. However, now I think that I will pick her up again and only use her for a while in order to bring out her potential. Who knows she might even wind up being my main. She, as well as all of the other characters in this game, deserved to be used to the fullest in order to obtain that hidden potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom