• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This goes out to everyone learning Underused Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

otg

Smash Master
*huge wall of text* Not interested.

Yes, top tiers will see more play in tournaments. Why? You have a higher chance of making more money/winning if you use them. You want to take a risk and use Luigi, or Falcon or any low tier than go ahead. I wouldn't count on winning anything in the near future though.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

Yes, top tiers will see more play in tournaments. Why? You have a higher chance of making more money/winning if you use them. You want to take a risk and use Luigi, or Falcon or any low tier than go ahead. I wouldn't count on winning anything in the near future though.
Man, that took long enough. Here's a protip:

Not interested? Then don't post.

Austin55

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to drop Snake because of how overrated he is, but I liked the Metal Gear series (and Snake as a character) enough to main him anyway. However, since Captain Falcon was my main in the earlier games, I use him as my secondary. Captain Falcon and Snake are my favorite video game characters ever. It's only ironic that I play with the best and worst characters in the game. It doesn't take too much effort to learn a new playstyle, since most characters just repeat the same patterns over and over again while they fight. Since this is the case, just use the characters you like, or characters from games that you like.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
its so poetic at the end...
anyway, your philosophy is something that I have been trying to tell people! Lower tier for the win! And I main Link. Woo! Go lesser used characters! Pikachu for the win!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

You know, they said the same thing about Falco in melee's early life.

And Jigglypuff.

And pretty much everyone other than Shiek.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Now now, no need to fret. :). OTG is obviously a Tier Titan, and prefers using what works as of right now to win tournaments. And like I said before that's logical, why choose a character that MAY win, over a character that you know as of right now WILL? He is right in the sense that for a while our character development will be slower. We won't be winning in the short run, but my God, we'll win in the long run. Keep those Luigis and Yoshi's handy people, it's gonna be a bumpy ride...but weren't the best Roller Coasters the bumpiest? :D

<3 Kidd

otg

Smash Master
uhh .. no you're actually all wrong. I main Luigi in Brawl. He's the most fun for me. If I entered a tournament I might place well, but chances are very high that I will get beaten by a Snake or Metaknight at some point down the line.

Oh and SonicWave, you are very wrong about that:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_previous_tier_lists

As you can see, the first tier list had Sheik, Fox and Falco as the top three. There was even a slogan F/F/S when used to discuss the top tiers. The God Tiers have already been discovered in Brawl, all thats left is to see how everyone else gets placed. I'm sure certain low tiers who will move up as the metagame develops (I'm looking at you Link), but you can't deny, Snake and Metaknight are god tier, and they will remain that way for awhile.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
TC, you make it seem as if though a person that mains a high tier character is heartless. Anyways, I agree with what you're saying (aside from the whole Tier Titans bc).

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
uhh .. no you're actually all wrong. I main Luigi in Brawl. He's the most fun for me. If I entered a tournament I might place well, but chances are very high that I will get beaten by a Snake or Metaknight at some point down the line.

As you can see, the first tier list had Sheik, Fox and Falco as the top three. There was even a slogan F/F/S when used to discuss the top tiers. The God Tiers have already been discovered in Brawl, all thats left is to see how everyone else gets placed. I'm sure certain low tiers who will move up as the metagame develops (I'm looking at you Link), but you can't deny, Snake and Metaknight are god tier, and they will remain that way for awhile.

Tell you what, we got some things that we can agree on for sure. I do agree with you that as of right now, Snake and Metaknight are considered very good characters. And I mean why shouldn't they be? They're winning just about everything! They are two characters that play extremely well. I also agree with you that they will be that way for quite awhile-having cemented a serious impression in the competitive community already, chances are they probably aren't leaving anytime soon, if at all. Now bear with me and excuse my ignorance as my facts aren't always straight, but allow me to say the following things if you please.

1. It took somebody to discover Snake and Metaknight were good. If people can discover Snake and MK, they can discover other people! Why as of recently (recently being as of say...around a month I'd estimate) Wario is even starting to join the competitive scene, and DK is being considered a Snake counter!

2. I humbly disagree on your statement that Snake and Metaknight are God Tier. Like all characters they do have weaknesses that can be taken advantage of. And they are very much beatable.

3. I agree that other characters will fall into place on the tier list once it is made...but it is very early into the game...I have a feeling Snake and Meta will always remain EXTREMELY high, but part of me has a hunch that down the road they may not be as high as they are now. This metagame is early and constantly changing. And as such good characters are confirmed but the Good character ROSTER is not. There are still potential tournament characters out there.

That is all! :D <3 to all

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
1. It took somebody to discover Snake and Metaknight were good. If people can discover Snake and MK, they can discover other people! Why as of recently (recently being as of say...around a month I'd estimate) Wario is even starting to join the competitive scene, and DK is being considered a Snake counter!

2. I humbly disagree on your statement that Snake and Metaknight are God Tier. Like all characters they do have weaknesses that can be taken advantage of. And they are very much beatable.

3. I agree that other characters will fall into place on the tier list once it is made...but it is very early into the game...I have a feeling Snake and Meta will always remain EXTREMELY high, but part of me has a hunch that down the road they may not be as high as they are now. This metagame is early and constantly changing. And as such good characters are confirmed but the Good character ROSTER is not. There are still potential tournament characters out there.

1) MK and Snake were pretty much unanimously amazing from day 1. The whole DK and Wario thing you mentioned is certainly true though.

2) All characters can be beaten (unless we have one of the infinite matches going). God Tier doesn't mean that MK and Snake are "un-beatable", it means they are superior to most of the rest of the roster in many ways.

3) Sheik was Top Tier in Melee from the beginning. She didn't fall much...at all. Snake and Meta Knight will not likely drop below higher high tier. Both MK and Snake will remain high.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
1) MK and Snake were pretty much unanimously amazing from day 1. The whole DK and Wario thing you mentioned is certainly true though.

2) All characters can be beaten (unless we have one of the infinite matches going). God Tier doesn't mean that MK and Snake are "un-beatable", it means they are superior to most of the rest of the roster in many ways.

3) Sheik was Top Tier in Melee from the beginning. She didn't fall much...at all. Snake and Meta Knight will not likely drop below higher high tier. Both MK and Snake will remain high.

Yikes, I'm turning this into a Tier list thread lol ^^;. At any rate, Rhubarbo, I suppose I'll agree with you one number 1, seeing as I cannot tell you on who actually first started using MK or Snake. Your unanimous main statement is correct. I agree there now. As for number 2, I'm very glad you said that as that is something I personally highly support myself, so thank you for saying that. As for 3, your prediction is accurate based on the timeflow in SSBM. Of course I never said they'd drop from High, I merely stated that it is possible that perhaps they themselves may fall a tad on the higher high tier. Only time can tell though :).

I'm mainly happy that you and I both agree that all characters can be beaten. Thank you for posting that, and kudos to you for believing in that philosophy. :).

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Please try not to argue in this thread. Kidd's just expressing his thoughts on how people shouldn't stop playing certain characters just because their metagame isn't as developed as say, Snake's. He wants people to realize that if nobody plays the characters that are considered "bad" for competitive play, then they will remain that way simply because of the fact that their potential isn't being reached.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Good read its true what you are saying. And it did take a little while to figure out that Snake and MK were good, just look at the first few pages of the tier list discussion thread

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
You caught all 151 pokemans and put them in your sig. Too good.

Btw thanks to everyone for their kind support to this thread. I'm glad my words have been able to touch individuals :).

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
You caught all 151 pokemans and put them in your sig. Too good.

Btw thanks to everyone for their kind support to this thread. I'm glad my words have been able to touch individuals :).
I think everyone is just appreciative because there's a lot of optimism and hope in this thread. It's definitely a welcome change of pace, especially for people like me who main "low-tier" characters.

Demon_Fox

Smash Apprentice
This thread is just awesome. I'm a Fox, CF and Bowser main (occasionally DDD), so I pretty much know what you're talking about and can understand and share your feelings. Truest point of all of them is 5): Defeating a MK or a DDD with the Captain is much more satisfying and first of all formidably more challenging than just picking a top/high tier character and doing what everyone else does.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
haha I joined my first tournament a couple of days ago using my main, Jigglypuff, and I didn't do so well the first set... After a while, I went to Snake and I got back in the game, but was ***** by a Samus player later on.

I now realize that I'm sticking to my Jigglypuff, so thank you for this inspiring thread :)

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
This thread is a good example of heart-of-the-cards syndrome. Telling yourself "I can do this! I believe!" does not lessen DDD's ability to infinite grab you to death, nor does it reduce Snake's ridiculous priority.

Your categories of "Tier Titans" and "Entrepreneurs" are misnomers. The appropriate titles would be "Winners" and "Losers", respectively.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

And Mario was in high tier, above Peach, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, ect, who all proved better than him.

Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff were also considerably low. So no, it's not unheard of for low characters to break into high tier (it already happened with Captain Falcon). And if you look at the fourth through seventh tier list, you'll notice Falco (who was originally thought to be the third best character in the game), dropping to 5th, and staying there. Shiek also dropped from First to third in the last tier list transition. Ice climbers was as low as 18th and managed to move up to 7th, jumping over 11 characters between tier lists 5 and 8 (the current one).

You're also wrong about your list of Viable characters. You forgot Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.

So yeah, it's not guaranteed that Snake and Metaknight will be the top forever. Yeah, they'll be high, but it's not unprecedented for a high tier character to surpass a top tier one, or for a character to make a large tier jump.

This thread is a good example of heart-of-the-cards syndrome. Telling yourself "I can do this! I believe!" does not lessen DDD's ability to infinite grab you to death
However, spacing does.
nor does it reduce Snake's ridiculous priority.
But camping does.
Your categories of "Tier Titans" and "Entrepreneurs" are misnomers. The appropriate titles would be "Winners" and "Losers", respectively.
B Rank (53-96 pts) <Standard>
7 Wario (6 top8, 3 top4, 3 wins) - 85 - 13
8 Lucario (2 top8, 2 top4, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 83.375 - 4
9 Marth (6 top8, 6 top4, 1 win) - 83.375
10 Mr. Game & Watch (2 top8, 5 top4, 1 top2) - 76.25 - 8
11 Pit (3 top8, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 75.1875 - 10
12Donkey Kong (2 top8, 1 top4, 3 wins) - 54.15625 - 14

I believe you are in the latter good sir.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
This thread is a good example of heart-of-the-cards syndrome. Telling yourself "I can do this! I believe!" does not lessen DDD's ability to infinite grab you to death, nor does it reduce Snake's ridiculous priority.

If this thread was made in 2006 for SSBM, I would understand where you are coming from.

However, this is not Melee. Tier lists gaps do not mean certain death. Furthermore, we have found good characters yes, but we haven't found the full good character ROSTER. This is a new game, this is a new metagame we are in. Due to Brawl's youth, why would you be surprised if new characters came into play? I am not ignoring Snake's ridiculiousness, nor am I ignoring D3's infinites. The fact of the matter is you can beat these characters, and you don't have to be Snake or D3 to pull it off.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Hell, I beat Snakes and DDD's with Sonic. Metaknights give me problems, but that's what secondaries are for (and stage counterpicks.)

otg

Smash Master
And Mario was in high tier, above Peach, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, ect, who all proved better than him.

Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff were also considerably low. So no, it's not unheard of for low characters to break into high tier (it already happened with Captain Falcon). And if you look at the fourth through seventh tier list, you'll notice Falco (who was originally thought to be the third best character in the game), dropping to 5th, and staying there. Shiek also dropped from First to third in the last tier list transition. Ice climbers was as low as 18th and managed to move up to 7th, jumping over 11 characters between tier lists 5 and 8 (the current one).

You're also wrong about your list of Viable characters. You forgot Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.

So yeah, it's not guaranteed that Snake and Metaknight will be the top forever. Yeah, they'll be high, but it's not unprecedented for a high tier character to surpass a top tier one, or for a character to make a large tier jump.
Dude, I didn't say anything about Jiggly and Falcon. Of course the tiers will change as the metagame advances, thats EXACTLY what I said. I was more pointing out that the Top characters ARE found early on, and they DID stay that way for the most part. The only thing that changed amongst the top tiers from the first tier list and the last is switching Fox and Sheik's places. Expect to see similar results in Brawl.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh gosh Kidd, you're gonna make me start picking up low tiers with that kind of talk. Incredible, long-overdue thread. Mad props you beast. You better **** my Marth at this tournament lol.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Guys...I don't want an argument for tiers in here...all I wanted was to encourage people who are using underused characters and are losing with them to keep on pulling through...that they can get good with their character and pwn in tournaments if they wanted to. Anyone can win this early in the game. No match is impossible, and that's the point I'm emphasizing here. You can win with whoever you want to use. Using Yoshi in Brawl doesn't condemn your Smash career. Some match ups are harder than others but it's never impossible...I just want people who are looking to do something different to understand that...is that too much to ask? ;_;

Edit- Thanks for the support Dr.PP, and yeah you better watch out, Peach is coming for you. ;3.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
GoldenGlove way to kill the spirit of this thread.

Kidd 01 deserves all of our respect for this!

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Most definitely. His viewpoints are spot on, as well as inspirational. He's trying to encourage people in the community, not argue with them lol.

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
PKKKKKKKKKK STAAARRRSTTTTTTOOOOOORMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

NESS FTW!

Lol Ive always mained ness, so ive gotten used to the whole "Lol ness u n00b" And i manage to always beat them :D at least at my school lol :/ but this made me more determined *salutes* I will be STRONGER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom