• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
yet pit has the fastest glide lol. it is weird that MK can glide longer even when pit is faster but i gues that would involve weight.

also, please don't say you are gonna consider scrooging as stalling. that's like the only way pit can safely recover with his WOI on like every high and top tier character and to take away our ability to go to the safer side of the stage would just be cruel and destroy so many of our match ups and that would just be dumb. i mean i only switch sides of the stage when i can't get up on the other side because while pit is safe on the ledge, he has plenty to worry about when coming back against good aerial characters and if you take away the ability to go lower than they can it is just outright unfair. i mean do what you want with MK, he doesn't rely on being able to switch which ledge he comes up on but for pit (and hell even ROB and charizard if you wanna get technical about it) the ability to switch sides is essential to our gameplay. especially pit because WOI has the speed to out do most characters on the stage so we can gett there and get up before they can punish us. seriously scrooging, unless you are MK, is completely vital to my character's gameplay and greatly assists several others. it's not like they are stalling because there are conditions that force you to get up eventually (like the lgl, pit's wing fatigue for using WOI to soon after using the last WOI, ROB's fuel, the ability to edgeguard charizard due to his slow glide, etc...)

seriously, it's not a broken tactic by any means, they have to come up, and that can be punished. plus you already have a lgl, there is no reason to limit our ability to go under the stage. and i will argue this point forever and ever if people try to take away the one truly safe recovery option i have (and it has weaknesses. like tjolt from pika, rob's lazer and gyro, diddy's banana, any projectile really)

edit:
forgot to list some examples of stalling. here goes:

dk's planking- it has no offensive capabilities unless he is edgeguarding. it's only purpose is too run the timer.

IDC- the ultimate stalling technique when mastered. can't be touched or even seen.

Chaingrabs past 250%- why do we allow them to go to 300% anyways? that is such a ridiculously high percent. hell 200% should be fine but ill say 250% just to not be declared unreasonable. seriously there is no infinite in this game that can't kill by 250% even against snake so why do we give them that extra 50% to run the timer?

character's techniques that only repeat but do no damage and have no way to be stopped- isn't it possible to something like that with jiggly puff when they use sing near the edge where she can just keep them asleep and run the timer indefinately? stuff like that the opponent has no control over (unlike HA which apparently the opponent controls) so things that are proven to do nothing but run the timer should be banned or limited in the amount of times it can be done in a row.

not undoing character glitches (i.e. character freezing or imobility glitches)- if the opponent is made immobile (like the diddy kong uthrow thing) the opponent should only get 1 minute to wait before they do something to them. i say this because characters with ability to rack up hella damage to punish something like but need time to set up should totally get the opportunity to humiliate the opponent for it (for example diddy is frozen in uthrow, snake needs time to set up a wargasm to punish it hard and humiliatingly)

inescapable wall locks past 250%- some wall locks may not be infinite as the wall may disapear like if you had a lazer lock at PS 1 but to do it past 250% (or atm 300%) (although why no1 was dead before they got locked within the time it takes to lazer lock to 250 would be beyond me) would be stalling

how's that?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would never ban scrooging. Same as air camping to me with wario, but we are never going to ban that because Scrooging is just positioning, not doing anything wrong with stalling, as infiniting/CGing passed 300% are.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
so? it's still excessive and i don't believe that by the time DK was dthrown to 250% that he wouldn't die from DDD's bthrow no matter what stage he is on that is legal and if he did it was with UP B brake and thus he would be *insert any of DDD's aerials and moves here* bait for the kill. it is excessive after the throw stales to allow it to go on for that long

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
As far as I know, Ike can also get under the stage in Halberd.

Is Jigglypuff allowed to stay really high in the air for long periods? Most characters can reach her up there.

NNID
Budget_Player
Also, BPC, please stop. The point of us NOT saying **** to the public is so that we don't get scrutinized while discussing rules. That is the same reason why people can't see the BBR in the first place, so that every thread doesn't become "Why they shouldn't be doing X." We are all watching the public (At least Chibo, TChase, and I are) and we understand what the public wants and we will bring it up to each other accordingly. Re-****ing-lax.
In case you weren't paying attention, this was one of my largest critiques to the BBR as well. I'm just worried that without public scrutiny, the discussions may devolve. Looking at the people involved, I know for a fact that at least one is a moron when it comes to stage discussion (you know who you are :glare:) and another showed himself as kind of clueless earlier in the thread. If hiding from reasonable scrutiny is a goal, then fair enough, but I will always criticize it when the thought processes involved in decision-making are hidden from the public like this. As said, at least with the BBR, we knew that they couldn't really have that much of an effect. Now the effects are tangible when you guys make a faulty logical leap, and that is exactly what I want to prevent..

Tesh

Smash Hero
Reading MK-biased comments is annoying as hell.
you know its true, no one really cares if Sonic or Wario get a good CP. Its all about how MK will make things even worse in this metagame. And he will. The rulesets are designed to keep him somewhat fair at top level play. Fear of him ****** on Norfair (while a bit misplaced perhaps) is one of the top reasons it isn't legal.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
you know its true, no one really cares if Sonic or Wario get a good CP. Its all about how MK will make things even worse in this metagame. And he will. The rulesets are designed to keep him somewhat fair at top level play. Fear of him ****** on Norfair (while a bit misplaced perhaps) is one of the top reasons it isn't legal.
Do you really think TOs legalize/ban stages because they help certain (kinds of) characters?
As a TO, I think that would be a stupid way to decide them.

Stages are or are not suitable for competition, and that's it.
Some characters struggle with certain stage features, others are buffed by them, Metaknight just happens to be good anywhere.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You'd be surprised. Picto was legal for so long so the flat stage crew could have a CP against MK. You think if it was pro-MK AND random as hell that it would have lasted that long? Not a CHANCE.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What Raziek said, officials from the BRC and BBR have at times mentioned that it was kept in as a good anti MK cp. With time I think Ps2 can take that place though, as it has many of the same features without the competitive drawbacks.

Honestly though, Norfair might be fine otherwise, but people won't want to allow MK gliding under smashville x5 and then getting tornadoed into lava when there is only 1 platform available. Its a strong MK CP in almost every matchup that is near even for him. It doesn't really matter that Sonic or Wario or GnW might like it vs him if it solidifies an advantage over Diddy, Snake, Falco etc.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
>I think that would be a stupid way to decide them.

And it's always been like that...
GGs

.... it solidifies an advantage over Diddy, Snake, Falco etc.
Have you ever taught of it as if they usually SUCK against any kind of stage change instead of MK ****** people outside the flat stages?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yes, but giving MK more stages where he can destroy his "evenish" matchups isn't good for the metagame. Objectively it might be fair to leave a decent stage in, but everyone that likes the stage gets ***** my MK regardless.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You'd be surprised. Picto was legal for so long so the flat stage crew could have a CP against MK. You think if it was pro-MK AND random as hell that it would have lasted that long? Not a CHANCE.
In this type of thought: I wonder why Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are then both legal with 1 stage ban if they both assist MK with many of his partially even matchups.

{{As in it makes sure MK has at least one stage he has at least a +1 or +2 for any matchup}}

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Let's try it again: Can people PLEASE stop bringing MK to stage discussion?

He being good has nothing to do with stages -read as it's not stage fault-. If he's the only problem with legality, if he breaks the stage or even the system, is not because the stage/system is broken, but because character is.
However, considering metagame does not overcentralize upon him, I wouldn't consider it deserves a ban -trying not to start a MK ban discussion-.

have people ever wondered what could happen if instead of making rules randomly trying to fit, we can build a ruleset globally good (for most characters), and then start limiting/changing certain issues with it?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Finally fully caught up

Be thankful I am not within 200 miles of you.
LOL... I don't wanna be around you when you're pissed & drunk xD

The problem is, people pay an entry fee to play a tournament by the rules as they are written. If someone gets disqualified for breaking a rule that was not written, they deserve a full refund. You cant just make up rules on the spot after the entrant AND the TO both agreed to it when the money swapped hands.
While that is problematic, the TO theoretically is allowed to screw people over. Not that that was the exact case but look at pound 5.

As for the stalling compilation:

Jigglypuff's rising pound under the stage can be a potential stall.

And one question. Some one already kind of mentioned this but does the HA stall still work if the opponent is outside a certain range, causing Sonic's HA to move downward?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
norfair is a good cp for a lot of characters against a lot of other characters. hell norfair is good for pit vs mk so im all for it. of course that's not the only reason im for it, others do good there to (wario, jiggz, hell iirc it's link's best stage, it has a lot of potential to do good)

Soooo

Can anyone list me all the problems there are/you have with Jungle Japes? Like who is too OP in this stage and why, what strategies if there are are too good, etc.

I just wanna know what people think about this stage.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Apparently, it's just DK and Falco.

DK gets super armored Spinning Kongs from the left and right platforms, which I don't even think a lot of people see as a problem, anyway.

Falco gets Phantasm gayness from pretty much any position on the stage.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
- Umm... I know certain people object to the Inhale gimmick Kirby/Dedede have on the left side, but that doesn't seem all that bad.

- Some people have objected to the campiness.

- Some people object to the Klaptrap. Dunno why, he's a pretty cool little guy and he comes on a schedule.

- Some people object to Metaknight, but that's everywhere.

I love the stage, TBH. Olimar can camp the right platform pretty hard.

EDIT: Wow, this thread moves faster than I thought it did. Sorry. ^^;

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No one cares because it's not a better stage than brinstar or RC for him, and DK and falco would like to take MK there over the other way around.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
But again, as AZ said, there might be a new form of stalling that we don't know about and somebody abuses it and wins a tournament with it because we didn't have a vague rule like that. Considering we already basically say "You can't stall and X, Y, and Z are stalling" it is literally covering more options.
Let the tactic be abused, so then there is proof it warrants the ban.

So who wants to help us compile all known examples of stalling?
This will probably cause some discussion, like for:
-MK getting stuck under the stage in Halberd. It isn't infinite stalling because eventually the stage lifts off again. But it is a good stall for what? 2-2.5 minutes
-MK glide stall on Halberd (does it work on any other stages?)
-Scrooging...is this stalling? Yumm that could be a fun one
-What else? Infinites/Chaingrabs are already covered under the 300% rule.

-As of now I'm going to say Sonic's HA isn't a true stall since the opponent controls where he goes (unless I'm proven otherwise)
MK gliding against a wall is camping, not stalling.

Scrooging is camping, not stalling.

Jigglypuff's rising pound under the stage can be a potential stall.
No, that's camping.

Norfair is the best stage for:
-Jiggs
-Link
-Ganon
...Seriously, that's 3 of the 4 worst chars in the game.
Samus likes it too.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Marth can infinitely grab them. It's a grab release infinite. There's no escaping once they get grabbed unless the player doing the grab release messes up.

or they can escape when the opponent gets a free attack afterwords.

actually it is. I've seen it be done before and its brain dead easy to do lol

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Marth has to either dash-grab Ness or Lucas I believe on the ground-release (the other he has a walking chain-release on iirc, or he might have to dash-grab both....)

Which is just as much an infinite as D3's chain-grab is an infinite.

It's not because well
the stage ends.

Don't get grabbed.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
While Marth has to stand in place, the chain grab moves him forward due to the distance Ness ground releases at.

Also Fox benefits from Japes.

But the fact that a stage benefits a character is irrelevant in the legality of a stage anyways.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
japes only benefits fox for camping purposes. his killing sucks there though.

pit loves japes.

nah but really the only thing that is hard about japes is fighting falco without a reflector imo. MK rocks everywhere sure but a lot of character's do better against him there than vice versa

also people can complain about klap trap but as stated it occurs at an incredibly specific schedule so honestly he is 100% avoidable.

Top Bottom