• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Trent

Smash Champion
Eh, I see where they're coming from in banning Pictochat. It's just annoying to lose a CP, even if I don't choose the stage all the time. It was nice for an opponent to ban it against me when I didn't wanna take him there. ;)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
sonic's HA is anything but broken, but sorry espy, the people don't wanna give a character with so many disadvantages in so many MUs something that can make a differance in the MU, they are trying not give characters that were accepted as bad something that makes them good against characters that are already labeled good. they are biased to favor them in this case and that's just the way it's gonna be. however you could indeed just argue that it is equally gay to the DDD infi- oh wait. DDD's considered a good character they won't do anything to change his metagame my bad. silly me for thinking there is not character bias

at any rate though this is a small issue and i gotta say good job on at least making changes, however don't make the next topic you guys discuss sonic's HA, just leave it as legal for now (since the wording completely allows it, don't try to cover your loophole with clever wording that isn't in the rules) and instead discuss the unbanning of japes and norfair, the 7 stage starter list, and 2 stage bans. then you can discuss whatever the hell small random tactics you want.

Trent

Smash Champion
I do feel like clarification needs to be on Sonic's Homing Attack Stall. You should put it in the rule set, if it's legal or not, and not let it open to interpretation, if it's such a hot button topic.

Also, was there going to be a clarification on intentionally losing a pool's match as well as a bracket match?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That was quite alot to read.
I'll be honest though, Espy is...pretty much correct.
Why anyone would DQ the sonic user for using the HA is pretty much stupid.

Furthermore to clarify, in all the testing I have done, I have not found ANYTHING that determines Sonic's "bounce" direction after the HA. I've tested many different distances and it just appears to be entirely random.

By the way, BRC is trolling SO SO HARD with the stagelist.
Seriously, its like I am back in NY.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
can't you just get close enough to sonic under the stage so that his homing attack has to hit you and then just tech the hit for those of you without glide? that makes him unable to recover as he is then to far away from the stage to not just shoot straight down not to mention he wouldn't even come close to recovering from the on FD if some1 did that to him. or does he just bounce off the wall still?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
By the way, BRC is trolling SO SO HARD with the stagelist.
Seriously, its like I am back in NY.
The stagelist that is going to be used at, as of now, at least half the tournaments in a given weekend is a troll?

Maybe you (or others) are the troll's for suggesting a stagelist that only yourself likes and that no tournament host, much less a majority of tournament hosts, would ever agree to.

Browny

Smash Hater
Finally home.... ugh im not reading through all this. I dont even care if the topic has moved from this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287269

Take a look at those poll results. From 6 months ago. and not a single thing was changed AS PER USUAL.
If anyone wants to argue the definition of stalling and legality of HA, maybe go through that.

Now, the first issue.

What is the benefit of leaving the stalling rule deliberately vague to not cover homing attack. Why does a ruleset even exist, if it is entirely up to the discretion of the TO. Its not fair that a player can enter a tournament where the rules do not ban HA, yet a TO can disqualify a player for using a perfectly legitimate and beatable technique. Picking metaknight is more broken than this technique. Seriously.

SECONDLY

Browny from 2010 said:
Consider the two situations, a character like Marth on the stage while MK sits on the edge spamming uair etc and him vs a sonic using HA under the stage. In both situations, the MK/Sonic have put themselves in a highly advantageous position where attempting to hit them is very risky. Marth can quite easily go after both characters and hit them but still risks a possible gimp if he messes up. So Marth has 2 options, attack them or leave them. This leaves 4 situations;

1. MK planking/scrooging - Marth does nothing
2. MK planking/scrooging - Marth attacks
3. HA under the stage - Marth does nothing
4. HA under the stage - Marth attacks

As it stands, 1 and 2 are perfectly legal while 3-4 are banworthy by a TO. Now what I want to know is how 1 and 3 are different. So different in fact, that one tactic is legal while one gives you an outright DQ. Can anyone here prove that for as long as Marth refuses to attack in situation 1 and MK keeps on planking with his aerials, this is not stalling on the MK’s behalf? I’m afraid the answer to this question cannot be situation 2 (as in Marth is creating the stall, not MK) because in that case, that would render situation 4 legal. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the two. The argument that HA under the stage is done without intent of fighting and purely running down the clock is void for as long as situation 1 is legal, they are the same.
In summary, HA under the stage IS NOT STALLING IF PLANKING IS LEGAL. Since planking is legal, HA under the stage should be 100% legal and no TO can ban it.

All the BRC has to say is 1 single solitary sentence in a sub-paragraph to the stalling rule:
Sonic using HA under the stage is banned
Sonic using HA under the stage is legal

AND ALL THE WORLDS PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
But...that's not true. planking has had limits imposed on it. Cuz it directly affects gameplay and matchups. So does HA. I mean, this doesn't really affect my characters...but i feel if one is able to just HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA that it really is degenerating gameplay and there should be consequences after a certain point.

Browny

Smash Hater
define "problem"

was it causing tournament to be dominated by MK's abusing this tactic? Id call that a problem.

Problem as in potential issue. Something one we could acknowledge that could be problematic in the future, implying that it isn't problematic at the moment.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I just dislike the TO Discretion thing because that allows them to do whatever they want to the ruleset just because they feel like it, online or at the venue of a tournament.

Hell, down here, some tournament banned Meta Knight on the premise that "he's stupid," and nothing more.
I don't really see a problem with this

in fact in the highly unlikely event that MK ever is banned nationally I'd like it to be worded like that in the official ruleset

"Meta Knight is banned because he's stupid."

Browny

Smash Hater
The problem is, people pay an entry fee to play a tournament by the rules as they are written. If someone gets disqualified for breaking a rule that was not written, they deserve a full refund. You cant just make up rules on the spot after the entrant AND the TO both agreed to it when the money swapped hands.

etecoon

Smash Hero
actually I was talking about that, if the TO just randomly said

I would rupture a lung laughing maniacally

I guess I can see where it would be a problem AFTER the money is collected...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
>_> This stalling stuff is ********. If it is determined by your opponent's position, they will be forced to go to the edge and help you up. If it isn't, there is no ****ing way you are going to be under there for 6 minutes. Espy, you are being ridiculous.

You guys are saying that we are biased against bad characters? Hell yeah, that is totally why we have a lower LGL on the best character in the game and why infinites characters like PT and Yoshi have are legal. You guys are ******** and you are basically complaining for no reason. Oh, so we banned Pictochat which OBVIOUSLY means we are eliminating CPs for characters while maintaining MKs CPs. If every stage was MKs best stage and other stages were terrible for MK but not competitively sound, THEY WOULDN'T BE LEGAL! We are currently discussing stages, so chill your ****ing grill. If we don't add them, we don't add them based on the conclusion it isn't competitively viable.

So please, relax. We aren't just back there going "Lololol this is hilarious everybody will get so mad and MK is amazing!" Hell, Pictochat benefits at least 4 people back there (Chibo with Rob, myself with Pika/ICs, and AZ with Diddy, Technical Chase with D3), so us banning it wasn't a matter of personal preference, but a matter of what is right/wrong.

Trent

Smash Champion
>_> This stalling stuff is ********. If it is determined by your opponent's position, they will be forced to go to the edge and help you up. If it isn't, there is no ****ing way you are going to be under there for 6 minutes. Espy, you are being ridiculous.

You guys are saying that we are biased against bad characters? Hell yeah, that is totally why we have a lower LGL on the best character in the game and why infinites characters like PT and Yoshi have are legal. You guys are ******** and you are basically complaining for no reason. Oh, so we banned Pictochat which OBVIOUSLY means we are eliminating CPs for characters while maintaining MKs CPs. If every stage was MKs best stage and other stages were terrible for MK but not competitively sound, THEY WOULDN'T BE LEGAL! We are currently discussing stages, so chill your ****ing grill. If we don't add them, we don't add them based on the conclusion it isn't competitively viable.

So please, relax. We aren't just back there going "Lololol this is hilarious everybody will get so mad and MK is amazing!" Hell, Pictochat benefits at least 4 people back there (Chibo with Rob, myself with Pika/ICs, and AZ with Diddy, Technical Chase with D3), so us banning it wasn't a matter of personal preference, but a matter of what is right/wrong.
I like this post.

However, As of right now, I just want clarification. Is HA stall banned, y/n?

etecoon

Smash Hero
people will always turn it into an MK thing until either

A) MK is banned

B) RC and or brinstar are banned

I don't see either happening any time soon but pretty much any time you take any stage out of the game and it isn't MK's best or second best stage, people will immediately act like it was intentionally done to make MK stronger regardless of how it affects everyone else

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I like this post.

However, As of right now, I just want clarification. Is HA stall banned, y/n?
If it is controlled by the player on stage, they will get them off from the bottom anyway since they are (probably) losing and want to fight. If that is the case, the point is moot.

If that isn't the case, it honestly depends. We can't say "You can do it for 30 seconds and you must land" because 1) How do you know the randomness won't force you to stay down there for more than 30 seconds, and 2) people will just go back under every 30 seconds and say "But I didn't break any rules!"

It honestly is the TO's choice at that point, only if where they go is truly random. So, the answer to your question is: maybe.

Delux, can you have people in the Smash Lab test it please?

Trent

Smash Champion
People have tested it in the past, but it should probably be looked at again. I just know HA the bottom of the stage is sometimes a good way to keep yourself from SDing, or a way to recover if you find yourself underneath the stage.

Hopefully someone won't get DQed for using it as above.

Top Bottom