• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just dislike the TO Discretion thing because that allows them to do whatever they want to the ruleset just because they feel like it, online or at the venue of a tournament.

Hell, down here, some tournament banned Meta Knight on the premise that "he's stupid," and nothing more.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
That you know of.
Except I havent seen a tourney B+ replay desynch partway through because some wiseass decided to increase one character's ftilt by 1% or something

So it's either they were too subtle to get caught (and thus, too subtle to have a non-negligible effect on the matches) or it just didnt happen

wiseass isnt censored?

this post has been edited repeatedly

ylyl

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Again, it's more about the fact that it can happen and it does change the game, even though it's very minor.

Hell, tripping does that too, and it's banned. Why not prevent this altogether by banning all manipulations?

MK26

Smash Master
we ban all game-altering manipulations

as long as a hack doesnt change the way the game is played, and as long as it doesnt affect the players' ability to play, then its fair game
you try to hack to increase your character's ledge range, if you dont play on your wii during the tourney and dont get caught, it probably doesnt matter
you get caught, you get permabanned and ostracized from the community for being desperate enough to try to cheat at a videogame

simple as that

youre suggesting we dont implement a perfectly fine rule because soembody might try to break it...

also @browny below: bbr =/= brc

Browny

Smash Hater
Delux knows whats up

Although I can answer the question for you. The brc wont state the rules explicitly, because that will result in HA being legal. They refuse to accept that a mid-tier character can have a tactic which destroys top/high tiers. Because in their so-called 'wisdom', they deem sonic a bad character, anything he does to break certain matchups ON CERTAIN STAGES ONLY, is therefore overpowered and bannable.

If they state HS is banned, that leaves the door wide open for scrooging to be banned, or even... Banning sonic.

:phone:

Browny

Smash Hater
No mk26, the brc is FULL of personal bias. I mean... Its the exact case. They are arguing why sonic should be limited because they think its unfair.

It DOES NOT break any written rules, its 100% character bias.

:phone:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
MK26, are you saying that damage and knockback increases are not game altering?

MK26

Smash Master
posting this in a new post because it deserves it:

imo banning ha stall has a precedent in banning melee peach bomber / jiggs pound stall
use it for recovery if you want but be reasonable about it

is it character bias that caused the mbr to ban a stall in a position where the opponent couldnt reasonable expect to stop it?

@espy: no, im saying that if you change the damage or kb of a move, and a replay of the match is made, it will desynch and you will get caught

if you dont play on your own wii you will get no benefit from cheating and still risk being caught

imo nobody would go through the trouble of learning psa/good ol' hex hacks just to cheat at vbrawl

im not saying let it happen, im saying if someone wants to try, let him, then catch him, put a notice out on swf that he's a cheat, and BAM he's never going to a smashboards-run tourney ever again

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And if they get away with it, that's okay?
Better to prevent it 100%.

Again, the fact that the possibility is there is what the problem is. The possibility only exists BECAUSE the BBR-RC allow it to exist by allowing hacks.

But whatever.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Except you can't stall effectively with HA, MK.
And directional input is irrelevant.

MK26

Smash Master
but you said you could do it for 6 minutes straight
im pretty sure that doing anything without touching the ground for 6 minutes will either seriously strain your ability to stay under the ledge grab limit or be considered stalling

(and what i meant by directional input was banning b without touching side-b/up-b/down-b)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If T-Block is correct about the opponent being able to manipulate Sonic's HA based on position, then it doesn't matter if they can stall for six minutes, because the opponent has control over their trajectory.

And I see nothing wrong with trying to recover for 6 minutes.
I saw ESAM run away from Ice Climbers and cling to ledges like his life depended on it for half of a match. Looked like the same thing to me. He was just trying to get into a good position on stage, and couldn't because of constant ledge pressure.

Suddenly, Sonic can't do the same thing?

Besides, recovering for 6 minutes sums up most characters' match up with Meta Knight. :p

T-block

B2B TST
As far as I can see from my somewhat limited testing today, Final Destination is the only place where Sonic's HA could be problematic. It might be due to the shape of the bottom of the stage (combination of geography and opponent's location?).

I know now that it is certainly not a threat on BF/SV/PS1 though.

MK26

Smash Master
back to the melee analogy: i dont think anybody ever defended peach bomber stalling by saying that he was just using it to recover
afaik thats a pretty subjective rule that hasnt gone challenged in 10 years so...
i think the same logic applies here

@t-block: maybe HA acts differently whether it bounces off walls or ceilings?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
MK: If you're trying to recover with Peach Bomber, wouldn't you be rising?
As in, getting closer to the ledge so that your opponent can harm you?

And can't that be done on parts of the level that are easy to access for characters?

T-block

B2B TST
back to the melee analogy: i dont think anybody ever defended peach bomber stalling by saying that he was just using it to recover
afaik thats a pretty subjective rule that hasnt gone challenged in 10 years so...
i think the same logic applies here

@t-block: maybe HA acts differently whether it bounces off walls or ceilings?
Appeal to tradition? Just because it's gone unchallenged doesn't make it right. In any case, no one was against Peach Bomber being used to gain height, or to stall recovery once or twice. Issues arose when it was being used to stall the match. We can apply the same logic here, except that now it seems like HA can't even be used to stall the match lol

Nah, walls/ceiling shouldn't matter... I didn't see any distinction from my testing.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Wait wait wait.... Noone knew that The opponent can control where Sonic goes while he's using HA under the stage?
I found this out Day 1 of brawl... Infact. When I was still playing Wi-Fi there were Sonic's who tried using this same tactic so I just jumped as high as I could so Sonic could eventually HA Downwards instead of trying to home in on Me.

T-block

B2B TST
Wait wait wait.... Noone knew that The opponent can control where Sonic goes while he's using HA under the stage?
I found this out Day 1 of brawl... Infact. When I was still playing Wi-Fi there were Sonic's who tried using this same tactic so I just jumped as high as I could so Sonic could eventually HA Downwards instead of trying to home in on Me.
Except this doesn't work lol. You're mis-remembering.

The opponent's position only matters horizontally.

Scatz

Smash Champion
IIRC, couldn't Sonic keep the HA going if he was close enough to the stage so that the second he moves, he bounces into the stage?

MK26

Smash Master
@espy: you can move up, or you can pause a tiny bit so that you stay at roughly the same level each time you use the bomber
and the problem arises from doing so in a position below where your opponent can expect to recover if he jumps down to attack you
or even to keep yourself alive (say, under FoD) until the end of the match from a position where you otherwise would not have a chance to recover

"stop stalling"
"but i'm recovering, not stalling"
"you keep falling back down to where you were"
"im not that good at recovering"

subjective rule? yes. worked fine? yes. can be modified to work fine in brawl? i think so.

@t-block: kinda an appeal to tradition, but not 'since it's gone unchallenged, it must be right'...if the arguments that applied to peach bomber/pound stall apply to HA 'stall', then theres no reason not to remove the quotation marks and ban the tactic (which appears to only be the case on fd now?)

facing towards edge/facing inward?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Peach Bomber can only move in one direction to recover. It's easier to make the judgment call in that case.

T-block

B2B TST
IIRC, couldn't Sonic keep the HA going if he was close enough to the stage so that the second he moves, he bounces into the stage?
Nope. After he collides with the stage, he moves left, right, or not at all before he can use HA again (up to 1/5 of Battlefield I'd say).

@espy: you can move up, or you can pause a tiny bit so that you stay at roughly the same level each time you use the bomber
and the problem arises from doing so in a position below where your opponent can expect to recover if he jumps down to attack you
or even to keep yourself alive (say, under FoD) until the end of the match from a position where you otherwise would not have a chance to recover

"stop stalling"

subjective rule? yes. worked fine? yes. can be modified to work fine in brawl? i think so.

@t-block: kinda an appeal to tradition, but not 'since it's gone unchallenged, it must be right'...if the arguments that applied to peach bomber/pound stall apply to HA 'stall', then theres no reason to remove the quotation marks and ban the tactic (which appears to only be the case on fd now?)

Direction facing does not matter.

Not sure what we're arguing anymore... I think we can treat Sonic's HA like a Melee Peach Bomber that cannot be used to stall the match. Even on FD, it looks like he will pop out of one side eventually even if your opponent were trying to keep you under for some reason (oddly enough, when I moved to the left side on FD, Sonic tended to pop out the right side =\).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The argument was null once TO discretion was mentioned, T-Block. :(
So we're arguing for no real reason.

MK26

Smash Master

"stop stalling"

@t-block: kinda an appeal to tradition, but not 'since it's gone unchallenged, it must be right'...if the arguments that applied to peach bomber/pound stall apply to HA 'stall', then theres no reason not to remove the quotation marks and ban the tactic (which appears to only be the case on fd now?)

note the 'if'...judging by what im hearing from t-block, it can't actually be used to stall (against a knowing opponent on any stage but fd, and due to randomness on fd)...and thus isnt a stall...and thus shouldnt be banned

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'll direct the Lab to make it a testing priority if you guys feel it warrants it in determining if a ban is merited.

T-block

B2B TST
Nothing wrong with that =x I find this all pretty interesting.

note the 'if'...judging by what im hearing from t-block, it can't actually be used to stall (against a knowing opponent on any stage but fd, and due to randomness on fd)...and thus isnt a stall...and thus shouldnt be banned
Then yes, I'd agree. Those are my conclusions from all this at the moment.

I'll direct the Lab to make it a testing priority if you guys feel it warrants it in determining if a ban is merited.
I'm making a thread right now actually.

DeLux

it would be faster if you started discussing it on skype as well :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well yeah, it's interesting, T-Block.
But I came with the intention to change a ruling, not to chat.

DeLux

This is the huge normative issue that I see with the rulesset. Sometimes it can't be avoided and TO discretion as a form of arbitration has to exist within the construct of the rules. However, to intentionally place it when the goal is to remove bias from region to region, TO to TO, person to person, it's an issue on a normative level.

Trent

Smash Champion
So. Pictochat is banned, yet Rainbow Cruise is legal.
Why does MK get so many counter picks, but Sonic gets none? :(

Also, all the effort I put into learning a stage is now obsolete, is there a specific post that states why Pictochat is banned? I don't feel like surfing through pages of text.

Top Bottom