• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
In light of Vegas, DC, and now the responses we're seeing in this thread, it is obvious that the Brawl community is simply not mature enough to handle a professional environment like MLG.
well **** you coulda fooled me there sonski

Gnes

Smash Master
In light of Vegas, DC, and now the responses we're seeing in this thread, it is obvious that the Brawl community is simply not mature enough to handle a professional environment like MLG. When tens of thousands of dollars in prize money are on the line and corporate sponsors are involved, professionalism and ethics become very important.

The fact that every player involved in the Vegas fiasco is openly discussing what occurred there is enough to show that this community has some serious ethical problems. The majority of the players involved are sponsored, and yet they are openly sharing stories about pre-determined splits, match fixing, and bribes as if there's nothing ethically wrong with these actions.

How these players do not realize that openly discussing such events in front of the eyes of professional sponsors is outright embarrassing and damaging to our community's reputation is beyond me.

MLG is trying to get professional gaming recognized as a legitimate sport. You never see players in professional athletic sports openly discussing bribes and match fixing. At most, all you hear is rumors. What do you think MLG's sponsors will think of Brawl players participating in such unethical behavior? Sponsors are the only reason MLG exists. They are MLG's primary source of funding. If anything is happening that could jeopardize MLG's sponsorship funding, they must take immediate action against it. In light of Brawl's poor turnout and this scandal, I don't see MLG continuing to host Brawl even if Dallas caps.
This This this this this
Couldn't have said it better

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Why do you think the Brawl community has such a poor reputation with other competitive gaming communities?
we can never agree on metaknight obvi-- rule set is also usually under fire if not that then its some other petty fighting

its what pre teens do best in this day in age its quite the rage1!1

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Guess you've never heard of this game called Poker. I heard that it has some sponsors and has just a LITTLE bit of fixing involved.... still thought of as a sport.

Invalid point is quite invalid.
I did say "professional athletic sports," and as far as I can tell, poker is not an athletic sport.

I do get the point you are making though. Splitting is the only thing that is accepted in poker. If any professional players were to openly discuss throwing chips to help other players win, pre-determined distributing of winnings, and other such actions, it would be considered colluding, they'd be banned from tournaments, and they'd probably lose their sponsorship deals.

Just saying.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Why do you think the Brawl community has such a poor reputation with other competitive gaming communities?
Because it's not a traditional fighting game. It's not brawl but the smash series. Let's be real this game has a 10 year history debating back to smash 64. If you compare to street fighter they have evo smash doesn't have that. They reason it has a poor reputation isn't the people it's the game. The community in SF is no different for brawl same with Marvel. Tekken may be different but who cares about Tekken ?

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I did say "professional athletic sports," and as far as I can tell, poker is not an athletic sport.

I do get the point you are making though. Splitting is the only thing that is accepted in poker. If any professional players were to openly discuss throwing chips to help other players win, pre-determined distributing of winnings, and other such actions, it would be considered colluding, they'd be banned from tournaments, and they'd probably lose their sponsorship deals.

Just saying.
Brawl has more in common with poker than it does baseball.... I believe that video games can be a sport but it sure isn't athletic..

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe this post is 100% true, I think he's just aiming it so he or ADHD might have a chance to get back in for Dallas.

I do believe M2K legit bribed ADHD cuz he felt he couldn't beat Rich Brown (or he wouldn't beat ADHD), so he said I'll throw the match for 300 dollars, and ADHD just said let's play it out and we'll see.

I'm not sure if ADHD agreed to it or not, but I'm pretty sure M2K was pretty pathetic cuz he couldn't believe in himself and wanted easy money.

Don't go into a debate over the proper defintions of jargons please. I can see this going for a proper definition of sports here soon. I am lurking this thread for other reasons and do not want to see that lol

ADHD

Smash Hero
I was debating splitting but then I said, "Let's just see what happens," and then I won. I just wanted to talk about the split later. It wasn't my fault that he sandbagged, he merely thought I'd have a better chance against Rich Brown right afterwards. He specifically told me that I had a better shot vs. Rich Brown, and that he thought he would lose--but I didn't agree with that. Then, after I won the tourney, I told him that I'd give him 300 dollars whenever I would see him next. I've split multiple times in the past as a previous tradition, and I have no reason to degrade myself just so I can advance in bracket. I have probably the best record against Mew2king besides anyone else in this Brawl community.

This needs to be re-said.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
M2K did the right thing in saying what he had to say.

It would be worse if he didn't and rumors were just flying around.

He knows what he did and knows the consequences.

Now I guess we sit back and watch Rich Brown take home Dallas.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Any more talk of boycotting MLG (extremely dumb obviously) will result in a custom, three point infraction. I haven't dished out any infractions yet because technically, it's not against the rules, but it is now.
I disagree with you. Therefore disagreeing with me is against the rules from here on out.
Good **** pierce. Boycott mlg.

On topic, m2k signed an agreement, broke that agreement. MLG is well within their rights to do what they're doing, and I'm surprised they're paying he and adhd. That said, I do have sympathy for m2k, it's too bad he got called out on something thats not against the rules at most smash tournaments. But really, read the rules bro.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
In light of Vegas, DC, and now the responses we're seeing in this thread, it is obvious that the Brawl community is simply not mature enough to handle a professional environment like MLG. When tens of thousands of dollars in prize money are on the line and corporate sponsors are involved, professionalism and ethics become very important.

The fact that every player involved in the Vegas fiasco is openly discussing what occurred there is enough to show that this community has some serious ethical problems. The majority of the players involved are sponsored, and yet they are openly sharing stories about pre-determined splits, match fixing, and bribes as if there's nothing ethically wrong with these actions.

How these players do not realize that openly discussing such events in front of the eyes of professional sponsors is outright embarrassing and damaging to our community's reputation is beyond me.

MLG is trying to get professional gaming recognized as a legitimate sport. You never see players in professional athletic sports openly discussing bribes and match fixing. At most, all you hear is rumors. What do you think MLG's sponsors will think of Brawl players participating in such unethical behavior? Sponsors are the only reason MLG exists. They are MLG's primary source of funding. If anything is happening that could jeopardize MLG's sponsorship funding, they must take immediate action against it. In light of Brawl's poor turnout and this scandal, I don't see MLG continuing to host Brawl even if Dallas caps.
This This this this this
Couldn't have said it better
Just emphasizing how true this is.

OverLade

Smash Hero
It would be nice if Jason and ADHD knew about this before MLG went and released a huge article on it. They broke the rules, sure w/e, but an opportunity to be reasonable heard before everything was released/blew out of proportion would have been fair.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
M2K... I say this from the bottom of my heart.

I think you need to quit Smash and seriously concentrate on your future... meaning life outside of games. You must be under horrible pressure to do something like this. Maybe you did it before.... just now you got caught. I know you must enjoy the money, who wouldn't.....? But ask yourself... is money more important than your reputation- how people view you... respect you? Think about it. :(

gallax

Smash Hero
It would be nice if Jason and ADHD knew about this before MLG went and released a huge article on it. They broke the rules, sure w/e, but an opportunity to be reasonable heard before everything was released/blew out of proportion would have been fair.

We were talking about it in the bbr first. M2k had a chance to fix it before MLG decided this.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
**** somebody brought up MGC Vegas.... =/

Guys, M2K and ADHD deserve to be banned. The truth hurts, but that's it right there. As a Halo/Melee player, I was pumped to see the Smash community join us in MLG, beyond pumped actually. But this is flat out embarrassing, and coming from players like M2K and ADHD.... not just some relatively unknown players is just.... horrible.

I don't understand why all of this wasn't kept secret, and why the Smash community has endless johns. M2K, you're a legendary player and all, but I don't give a **** about your controller, a **** about your Diddy match up. You have a CONTRACT with MLG. How could you think violating your contract isn't against the rules? Play your best, if you were going to lose then you would've lost normally anyway. Then if you need $300 from ADHD after the tournament is over, then ask him for it then, I don't understand why you would have a pre-existing agreement. ****ing ********.

And how can people in a community be in support of this? Don't you guys understand how horrible this looks? Hell, the Halo community half hates each other sometimes and they look miles better right now.

Jeez.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Lol @ people who keep quoting this one line from my post:

And of course, not quoting the line directly after it:

Sure, some of it is unfounded, but is ALL of it? I don't think so.
No one cares about why you think other communities hate us. The fact of the matter is, they hate us. Again, I'm sure much of it is unjustified, but is ALL of it? Can you be absolutely sure of that? That they hate us for NO completely rational reason whatsoever? No, I don't you can.

Saffy

Smash Ace

T~T Beautiful. GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL.

Tommy ILY, COME VISIT MO.

Elliot, I'm sorry for not being soo educated about gaming though I've been playing for 15 years. Since I do not know anything about smash and never get to go tournaments, so I guess I do not have a say in it. But I still will express my thoughts and feelings since I am a somebody.... I hope ... Though Honestly he shouldn't be complaining about losing because of a controller. If I say my stomach was hurting really bad, or I had a panic attack which has happened before, everyone tells me to stop making excuses and shut up. It's alike in ways, but mine is affecting my whole body where I can't control my muscles and I can't think at all, and i burst out in tears... it's pretty bad. But I don't make those excuses. Jason wouldn't be seen as immature if he always didn't complain and make excuses about his controllers and other things. There are alot of people who have it way harder... Maybe MLG would treat him like an adult if he showed he was one and respected them. How he first repsonded with all the immature writing, that really is giving us a bad example... This should be a lesson to him. This should be a lesson for all you.
I'm not trying to make him sound like a bad guy, Jason is mad cool! but he should of thought out his actions out a bit better.

But I do know about controllers, as I do play better in some than others. Some are better than others, but his must of been somewhat good if he could get to 3rd with it. ... :awesome:

Lol @ people who keep quoting this one line from my post:

And of course, not quoting the line directly after it:

No one cares about why you think other communities hate us. The fact of the matter is, they hate us. Again, I'm sure much of it is unjustified, but is ALL of it? Can you be absolutely sure of that? That they hate us for NO completely rational reason whatsoever? No, I don't you can.
That is scholary research at its finest lol Everyone quotes what they need to provide for their beliefs to ignore the rest of the waffle lol

ADHD

Smash Hero
**** somebody brought up MGC Vegas.... =/

Guys, M2K and ADHD deserve to be banned. The truth hurts, but that's it right there. As a Halo/Melee player, I was pumped to see the Smash community join us in MLG, beyond pumped actually. But this is flat out embarrassing, and coming from players like M2K and ADHD.... not just some relatively unknown players is just.... horrible.

I don't understand why all of this wasn't kept secret, and why the Smash community has endless johns. M2K, you're a legendary player and all, but I don't give a **** about your controller, a **** about your Diddy match up. You have a CONTRACT with MLG. How could you think violating your contract isn't against the rules? Play your best, if you were going to lose then you would've lost normally anyway. Then if you need $300 from ADHD after the tournament is over, then ask him for it then, I don't understand why you would have a pre-existing agreement. ****ing ********.

And how can people in a community be in support of this? Don't you guys understand how horrible this looks? Hell, the Halo community half hates each other sometimes and they look miles better right now.

Jeez.

I understand your point, but the pre-existing "violation" wasn't even pre-existing in the first place. It was AFTER the tournament that I established the money being dealt with. ALSO, Mew2king was the one to make most of this information public by telling numerous, numerous people directly after the tournament about this "deal."

Space Jam

Smash Apprentice
I just have one quick question left I suppose. (Although I'm sure from this question many more will spawn so what I just said was basically useless, derp.)

If you say that "throwing a match" or "forfeiting on purpose" is against the rules, why is it so?

I'm an old school Halo player, and I can see where that could become a serious issue when teams are involved. However, what happens when it's only on a individual basis? It's up to the individual whether or not they want to keep playing.

Is this the same as if M2K were to throw his 2nd round for no reason? Would he still get banned from the next event?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
This thread is slowly devolving into another argument.
What did you really expect from it?
Also, I went on SRK and they're tearing us apart. This is just my opinion, but I think its pretty harsh to ban both adhd and m2k. They shouldn't be stopped from going to Dallas. They should be sent straight to losers bracket or have their DC points taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom