• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
G-reg said this in ADHD's thread. It's not like ADHD and M2K played Ganon dittos, and Game 3 is the only game of their set that seems suspect imo. But if M2K decides to get hit by his own choosing or carelessness then why should ADHD be blamed at the same time? If anything M2K is the only one that deserves to be banned, and sticking ADHD with him only serves to make everybody else scared, but usually ends up making people angrier.

The burden of proof will never be upon MLG, they are private, so basically within their authority, their decisions are not restricted to the law of the courtroom. However, if indeed profit is the may goal of MLG, which I'm guessing is a safe assumption, making the (what some people would say) irrational decision to at least let ADHD back into the competition is the right choice. He's is one of USA's premier brawl players that can compete for the title as best in the world and taking him out would definitely hurt more than help imho. Diddy Kong players are also one of the more impressive players to watch from a third prespective when they link their banana combos (until they peanut camp but that's besides the point).

In Economics, one assumes that people make marginal rational decisions, but is that the case? No, in fact not even most of the time. But the world goes round, and nobody has ended the world yet. So it comes more down to utility, do you feel its worth it for Brawl to remain on the circuit? I'd say yes, but I'm biased, but if you want another community added to MLG Smash can be it. It takes more than one try to establish a solid community, and if anything MLG Dallas would be the second chance. Regardless a random like me gets no real say, but even the average joe on SWF feels something MLG.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
The burden of proof will never be upon MLG, they are private, so basically within their authority, their decisions are not restricted to the law of the courtroom. However, if indeed profit is the may goal of MLG, which I'm guessing is a safe assumption, making the (what some people would say) irrational decision to at least let ADHD back into the competition is the right choice. He's is one of USA's premier brawl players that can compete for the title as best in the world and taking him out would definitely hurt more than help imho. Diddy Kong players are also one of the more impressive players to watch from a third prespective when they link their banana combos (until they peanut camp but that's besides the point).

In Economics, one assumes that people make marginal rational decisions, but is that the case? No, in fact not even most of the time. But the world goes round, and nobody has ended the world yet. So it comes more down to utility, do you feel its worth it for Brawl to remain on the circuit? I'd say yes, but I'm biased, but if you want another community added to MLG Smash can be it. It takes more than one try to establish a solid community, and if anything MLG Dallas would be the second chance. Regardless a random like me gets no real say, but even the average joe on SWF feels something MLG.
As far as we can tell, Brawl is losing MLG money. Turnout has been unsatisfactory and these scandals of late help nothing. If you were an MLG sponsor that contributed thousands of dollars into the prize pot, how would you feel about Brawl? Personally, I'd be pretty pissed and I'd be threatening to end my sponsorship deal with MLG unless they drop Brawl.

We should be concerned with MLG being disappointed or angry with us, not the other way around. Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do anything now. Even if Dallas caps, I highly doubt MLG is continuing with Brawl.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
As far as we can tell, Brawl is losing MLG money. Turnout has been unsatisfactory and these scandals of late help nothing. If you were an MLG sponsor that contributed thousands of dollars into the prize pot, how would you feel about Brawl? Personally, I'd be pretty pissed and I'd be threatening to end my sponsorship deal with MLG unless they drop Brawl.

We should be concerned with MLG being disappointed or angry with us, not the other way around. Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do anything now. Even if Dallas caps, I highly doubt MLG is continuing with Brawl.

Can you go away lol? you do know the original cap was 128 for brawl right? GO away not like capping would = the moeny they spend to advertisse MLG.

-Cross-

Smash Ace

True, but I'm hoping that MLG feels it is worth it to keep an initially losing proposition (in terms of profit or maturity or whatever may be the case) in order to tap into the power of the wide demographic know as Smash. In the end, it's just an opinion and possibly a foolish wish.

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems like the only thing MLG can take from M2K is his word. He was trying his hardest, but I can see where they think he was fixing it.

-M2K wants to split with ADHD
-M2K "fixes" it so ADHD wins and therefore has a better shot.
-M2K gets more money because ADHD> Rich Brown.

Thats their logic from my pov.

ADHD shouldn't be banned. But frankly, it boils down to MLG's interpretation of the situation. It really doesn't matter what we think in the end, because its their event so they can do whatever they please.

And lol @ Ally's sig. HIDE YOU KIDS HIDE YO WIFE.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion

It's Nintendo's fault for not letting them live stream to be honest.... nobody wants to watch a f***king live blog... I mean seriously?

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Can you go away lol? you do know the original cap was 128 for brawl right? GO away not like capping would = the moeny they spend to advertisse MLG.
Yes, but the cap can be raised if the turnout exceeds the expected amount, which is what happened with Halo, GoW (at first, at least), Madden, WoW has been consistent, Tekken has had an amazing community, same with SC2. MLG definitely expected Brawl to exceed the cap amount by a lot, but unfortunately.... Brawl didn't represent. And this scandal does not help things at all. Also, when you add that Brawl is the only game without a live stream due to Nintendo's gayness..... =/

If Brawl does get dropped, which I hope it won't, I can definitely see SF replacing it. The SF community has been waiting for this chance.... and they will definitely represent.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure they were just trying Brawl out this time around to see if it was worth it.

And of course capping doesn't make up for the money they spend. It's just a number to signify how popular a game is. The sponsors want exposure. That's why they're paying all this money. Not capping means, in their eyes, the game isn't popular and isn't going to bring them the kind of exposure they want. Bad press is obviously not good for the game either.

From the perspective of a bunch of businessmen who are trying to run this as a business venture, what do you think they'll decide?

tsl

Smash Apprentice
If Brawl does get dropped, which I hope it won't, I can definitely see SF replacing it. The SF community has been waiting for this chance.... and they will definitely represent.
I may be wrong on this, but I believe Capcom officially sponsors EVO to host SF and won't have anything to do with MLG.

AllyKnight

You're all wrong, Dude unlike any other friggin game, we have tournaments WEEKLY IN SOOO MANY REGIONS, WE SPEND WAYYY MRE THAN ANY OR ALMOST ANY COMMUNITY, MLG NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT TOO. AND YOU TOO.

Of course we can't cap.

also WoW and SC2 are new, and I dont think they have 128 players in bracket

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Can you contribute to the conversation without being condescending?

inb4hypocrisy

tsl

Smash Apprentice
You're all wrong, Dude unlike any other friggin game, we have tournaments WEEKLY IN SOOO MANY REGIONS, WE SPEND WAYYY MRE THAN ANY OR ALMOST ANY COMMUNITY, MLG NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT TOO. AND YOU TOO.

Of course we can't cap.

You bring up strong points, but honestly, they don't mean jack**** in the business world. When you're running a business, all you care about are the numbers. Brawl didn't deliver. It's as simple as that.

Games like StarCraft already have established professional communities and don't need to prove themselves.

And ... Do you know how long a 128-man StarCraft bracket would take to complete? @.@

Can you contribute to the conversation without being condescending?

inb4hypocrisy
Well, his username is Mad Ally ...

solecalibur

Smash Master
Just to be correct there are qualifiers (area score) in WoW before you enter your area team in WoW , Blizzard doesn't need to over run with anyone that has the money to travel to enter on computers....just gearing up and lose so quickly to the actual legit teams (and games take like 15 minutes per game in a set)

and Sc2 = lol zerg hype =3

edit - On topic , I actually figured this "truth" wouldn't come out , like the vegas thing as there was so many different prespectives of the story and there was no real truth in any of the stories

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
But Ally, MLG does not give two ****s whether or not you have weekly tournaments. If you guys want to stay in MLG, you need to cap. Whatever the cap for WoW and SC2 is, they always cap. And Brawl is newer to MLG than WoW, so that part makes no sense.

Also, SC2 will probably always cap, it's that good of a game.

You guys need to figure it out, which is more important, your weekly tournaments, or MLG. If you think you can stay on without MLG, which you have been before, then no worries. But things don't look good.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Im almost 100% sure that Tekken never capped.
If im wrong, be sure to tell me.

And saying WoW takes like 15 minutes per game is a joke. You have no idea what you are talking about. Arenas last a few MINUTES and sets could be over in an easy 10 minutes. They could easily accept almost double as many teams as they allow now. Honestly the teams spend more time gearing up in Dalaran then they do in the arena.

AllyKnight

if anything gotta go, is tekken, I know what SC2 is, I love that game I'd play it if my comp was better LOL. But yeah I'm just saying, don't be surprised if capping doesn't happen, We brought more hype than any game at MLG except problably Halo but I don't pay attention to that game. Smash should stay. But aight.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Tekken is most likely gonna get dropped =/ , still interesting seeing other fighters make MLG

and I forgot about the qualifier in WoW and how it cost $30 to enter.... I forgot I entered once

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You guys need to figure it out, which is more important, your weekly tournaments, or MLG. If you think you can stay on without MLG, which you have been before, then no worries. But things don't look good.
lol
would anyone actually say mlg to this?
except like M2K, lol

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Im almost 100% sure that Tekken never capped.
If im wrong, be sure to tell me.
I don't think it did, but it's steadily increasing, and the live stream is watched insanely, which is a very important thing to note. The lack of a Brawl live stream is HUGE.....

But it's either Tekken or Brawl, leaning on Tekken to be dropped. Or maybe even both 0.0

Brawl should stay though.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
M2k: " Wyatt, i know im going to lose to you, when you win can you please give me some money? this game is my job."
ADHD: " No"
M2k: " please?"
ADHD: " We will talk about it after the tourney"
MLG: " yo, You guys are banned because of what you just said."

Is that basically how it went down?

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't think it did, but it's steadily increasing, and the live stream is watched insanely, which is a very important thing to note. The lack of a Brawl live stream is HUGE.....

But it's either Tekken or Brawl, leaning on Tekken to be dropped. Or maybe even both 0.0

Brawl should stay though.
Unless the cap for Tekken is insanely low, im pretty sure it never capped or even came close. The stream being watched, while nice, definitely isnt "huge". Atleast not nearly as huge as people actually showing up to the event.

I don't see how brawl would be dropped before Tekken was.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
If I'm correct, Tekken is endorsed by Sony for MLG AND the game gets players from around the world so far at every MLG. Smash hasn't brought that kind of hype...yet.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I just hope MLG doesn't drop Brawl because of this. It's a big lesson I feel the whole community will learn from and won't happen again.

Jem.

Smash Master
Hopefully you two can still go, hoping for the best for ya guys. Jason you need to get someone to listen to the voicemail on whatever phone you used for MLG information. Ray Lau from MLG left you a voicemail. (I'm pretty confident he's the pro player manager?) Sundance said Ray called though.

MLG_Sundance Sundance DiGiovanni

@hMJem he should reach out to Ray. Ray left him a voicemail earlier.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Ally went to every MLG and he's not American........

international hype technically

although said hype is lost when ally practically lives in america (to my knowledge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom