• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey guys I will update this when I get back to my house. I've been in Dallas for about a week playing Smash lol.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I really liked the jiggs vid. Neither character has a projectile so 'too agressive' is an odd comment to make.

If I had to guess I would say the 2 players are regular opponents & both of them know how to play the match-up.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I really liked the jiggs vid. Neither character has a projectile so 'too agressive' is an odd comment to make.

If I had to guess I would say the 2 players are regular opponents & both of them know how to play the match-up.
No, if the Marth is ever ahead on percent, he should never get close. Just retreating Fair, and Jiggs can't do much. How is it hard to understand that projectile-less characters camp in this game too?

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
i love this thread and check it all the time. normally i dont disagree with what gets put up here. but i just saw that ROB vid against Ally...was that put up just because Ally was in it?? not only did the ROB lose both rounds in the set, but Ally seemed to be in control throughout. no disrespect to holy nightmare...but, really?
Well, it's hard because Ally and Holy play all the time. So not only does Ally know the matchup well, but he has a good read on Holy's style too. Holy showed a lot of game in those vids, as well as several different strategies, including ledge camping and boxing. Holy also displayed solid technical ability with his DI and defense, and smart play with things such as dealing with Snake's DThrow. As for him not winning either match, Ally made some amazing plays to get out of the second match alive, especially near the end, and Holy did have a couple of silly mistakes that really hurt him. You don't need to win a match to showcase a great video.

Throwback

Smash Lord
No, if the Marth is ever ahead on percent, he should never get close. Just retreating Fair, and Jiggs can't do much. How is it hard to understand that projectile-less characters camp in this game too?
Not hard to understand. The stage does end at some point though, so retreating fair isn't the be-all and end all - at some point marth is going to have to stand his ground.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Not hard to understand. The stage does end at some point though, so retreating fair isn't the be-all and end all - at some point marth is going to have to stand his ground.
Not really. Marth can stand his ground by fairing, DB'ing, fair>nairing, or simply jump to the ledge and ledgecamp with uairs. Eventually an attack is going to hit Jiggly for attempting to get close and hit Marth, and at that moment Marth'll just head back to the center of the stage.

Throwback

Smash Lord
The point being that Marth has to attack at some point, and in the vid posted the jiggly was good enough to take advantage when he did. I really don't see how an awesomely played jiggs like that wouldn't be considered. That's my opinion.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I am looking at this Jiggs vs Marth video, and honestly my first impression was to not put it up. I'm going back over it again to count the airdodges and shielding count.

Edit: 3 Airdodges, 1 Shield (maybe two if you count near the end where he gets back on stage and does a spotdodge, shield might have come out when he did that), 4 Spotdodges (not really an important thing to look at but I had free time so I did lol.)

As Marth, against Jigglypuff he has such a strong defensive game that I honestly did not see utilized very much or very well. I'm not saying I would have liked to see him camp more or play "gayer", but I really cannot recommend this when I saw him use Dair and Fsmash more than he tried to airdodge or play it safe with a retreating or delayed Fair. Most of what I saw was Marth Fair nearly instantly in a short hop and then follow it up with another quick Fair without fast falling much. That and Fsmash and Shield breaker lol.

I'm not gonna say that Marth is terrible (who knows, he could have been sandbagging cause it's Jigglypuff or against someone he knows, or maybe he doesn't understand this particular matchup but knows the others much better, maybe he had a bad day, etc), but it seems clear to me he doesn't know the matchup, or at least in that video did not show me that he understood it.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
The point being that Marth has to attack at some point, and in the vid posted the jiggly was good enough to take advantage when he did. I really don't see how an awesomely played jiggs like that wouldn't be considered. That's my opinion.
Marth has to go on the offensive even when ahead? You are in the wrong game sir.

Also, what DMG said.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's hard because Ally and Holy play all the time. So not only does Ally know the matchup well, but he has a good read on Holy's style too. Holy showed a lot of game in those vids, as well as several different strategies, including ledge camping and boxing. Holy also displayed solid technical ability with his DI and defense, and smart play with things such as dealing with Snake's DThrow. As for him not winning either match, Ally made some amazing plays to get out of the second match alive, especially near the end, and Holy did have a couple of silly mistakes that really hurt him. You don't need to win a match to showcase a great video.
Sure, i get that. I also know that holy is normally a bad*** ROB. But in the end holy was outplayed in that particular set. I bet he would even concede that those matches arent reflective of ROBs full potential.

this is a slippery slope that puts into question the integrity of the thread. The title of the thread says the BEST vids of each character. Personally, i think the best implies full use of a particular character's metagame, in combination with exemplary player strategy and skill, that are executed to achieve the ultimate goal--victory. A vid like this, i think, cheapens the quality of THE BEST.

Is it a great video, sure. The best?? I don't think so.

I got to get to work, but when i get back ill try looking for a ROB nom.

Brado

Smash Lord
I've just watched the nominated video for the Samus player n00b. He played very well in that match, and was able to comeback from Falco's gayness pretty easily, and showed knwoledge of the match-up. He seemed to have a counter for everything, and he was very good at punishing any mistakes.

This should definately be included in the best Samus videos.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I am looking at this Jiggs vs Marth video, and honestly my first impression was to not put it up. I'm going back over it again to count the airdodges and shielding count.

Edit: 3 Airdodges, 1 Shield (maybe two if you count near the end where he gets back on stage and does a spotdodge, shield might have come out when he did that), 4 Spotdodges (not really an important thing to look at but I had free time so I did lol.)

As Marth, against Jigglypuff he has such a strong defensive game that I honestly did not see utilized very much or very well. I'm not saying I would have liked to see him camp more or play "gayer", but I really cannot recommend this when I saw him use Dair and Fsmash more than he tried to airdodge or play it safe with a retreating or delayed Fair. Most of what I saw was Marth Fair nearly instantly in a short hop and then follow it up with another quick Fair without fast falling much. That and Fsmash and Shield breaker lol.

I'm not gonna say that Marth is terrible (who knows, he could have been sandbagging cause it's Jigglypuff or against someone he knows, or maybe he doesn't understand this particular matchup but knows the others much better, maybe he had a bad day, etc), but it seems clear to me he doesn't know the matchup, or at least in that video did not show me that he understood it.

the marth and i are roommates.

he knows the match up very well.

it may have been a bad game, i felt i was reading well and being more unpredictable/unreadable than usual.

and we dont camp to much in friendlys. that is all this match is.

but I HAVE YET TO SEE A GOOD JIGS VID.

also the marth places higher than me at lik 90% of the tourneys we go to.

Legit tourneys too.

SHOW ME A BETTER JIGS VID?

Framerate

Smash Lord
I've got a jigs video of me 3 stocking a G&W on the way if anyone is interested.

Long story short, I have really really bad luck with recording videos, but hopefully this will work. I just have to get it from a friend.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I've got a jigs video of me 3 stocking a G&W on the way if anyone is interested.

Long story short, I have really really bad luck with recording videos, but hopefully this will work. I just have to get it from a friend.
Listen to this man. He breaks shields and rests Ally and doesn't afraid of anything.

Miles.

Smash Champion

is the gw legit?

thats pretty crazy, i think GW is a harder matchup than MK.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I like Rockan. He's a really smart TL player. Reminds me a lot of Santi. Not sure when a great video will be up of him yet, though.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
the marth and i are roommates.

he knows the match up very well.

it may have been a bad game, i felt i was reading well and being more unpredictable/unreadable than usual.

and we dont camp to much in friendlys. that is all this match is.

but I HAVE YET TO SEE A GOOD JIGS VID.

also the marth places higher than me at lik 90% of the tourneys we go to.

Legit tourneys too.

SHOW ME A BETTER JIGS VID?
Bolded the issue. Even if he knows it, he wasn't playing it righ because as you siad, it was a frinedly w/ your roommate. It's supposed to be an accurate representation of the MU, and it fails there.

is the gw legit?

thats pretty crazy, i think GW is a harder matchup than MK.
LOL no kidding? MK doesn't consistently kill at 60%, and have lots of moves that deal 20%.

Meow is amazing, but, that ICs sucked, like hard. NO GRABS, and jumping offstage to edgeguard Jiggs? No blizzard (Thier bset move VS Jiggs), no ice block, no squall?

Really, I hope that IC player was having an off day, because I am dissappoint.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
Not to knock Rockan, but this vid isn't the best rep; his opponent continuously DI'd into combos, and didn't even airdodge when he could.
i agree his opponent was subpar, but you have to admit that rockan played a textbook toonlink. he spammed when he needed to, approached when he needed to, he rarely if ever missed a quickdraw. The vid i think is an excellent showcase of toonlink's metagame, which when utilized at full capacity--as the end result of the video shows--completely decimates. The only other TL ive seen that can execute this cleanly is santi. So i still think this vid should at least be considered.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I support the Rockan one. The opponents sucked, especially in the DI area, but he played great and showed what Tink can do nicely. Put it up please.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Alright I will begin updates in about 15 minutes. Sorry for the long delay, like Zac posted earlier I was on vacation for almost a week and just got back lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
accurately depicting the matchup shouldnt be a qualification, otherwise, all vids with mk as the opponent should be losses, and none of ganons vids should be wins.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
accurately depicting the matchup shouldnt be a qualification, otherwise, all vids with mk as the opponent should be losses, and none of ganons vids should be wins.
More often than not, high-level players tend to be exceptions to the rule. Once you reach a certain level of play, you can give yourself a very good chance of winning a disadvantageous matchup, even if the opposing player is really good as well.

I will add my support for the Zudenka video for Yoshi. Unlike the last one featuring the dinosaur, the opponent appears to have a relatively equal skill.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm gonna go ahead and add the Mr. R video even though the MK IMO was pretty trash. I mean, a Marth putting on 100% first stock without getting hit against MK is quite frankly unrealistic for high level play.

Also, his Grab release ---> Dancing Blade first hit ---> First hit of Nair ---> Usmash that he pulled off around 1:52 onward is NOT guaranteed. Just wanted to point that out.

Edit: ALSO I HAVE DECIDED TO CHANGE THINGS UP A BIT WHEN IT COMES TO NOMINATING VIDEOS AND WHEN I UPDATE THIS. FROM NOW ON, I WILL UPDATE THIS ON A WEEKLY BASIS. EVERY VIDEO YOU GUYS NOMINATE, UNLESS I DEEM THEM UNWORTHY, WILL GO UP AT THE END OF THE WEEK.

MONDAY IS THE START OF THE WEEK, SUNDAY IS THE END. VIDEOS POSTED ON SUNDAY ON OR BEFORE 11:59 P.M. GMT -6 WILL GO UP FOR THAT WEEK PERIOD WITH THE PREVIOUS VIDEOS. VIDEOS POSTED ON OR AFTER 12:00 A.M. GMT -6 MONDAY WILL BE UPDATED THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME FORGETTING VIDEOS THAT ARE POSTED ON EARLIER DAYS OF THE WEEK, I WILL KEEP UP WITH THIS THREAD AS IT PROGRESSES AND COPY THE NECESSARY INFORMATION FOR THOSE VIDEOS UNTIL IT IS TIME TO UPDATE.

AT THAT POINT, I WILL PUT A *NEW* MARK NEXT TO THOSE VIDEOS FOR THAT WEEK. THIS WILL LET YOU GUYS SEE WHAT VIDEOS I HAVE UPDATED FOR THAT PERIOD OF TIME. AFTER THAT WEEK IS UP, I TAKE THAT TAG OFF AND USE IT FOR THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS TO COME. IF YOU WANT A VIDEO DOWN/WANNA DISCUSS A VIDEO, IT'S BEST TO DO IT WHILE THE VIDEO STILL HAS THE *NEW* MARK SINCE THOSE WILL BE EASY TO SPOT.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The one I just added? I kinda added it only because of the proficiency the Marth showed (I didn't see much from the MK, wasn't impressed at all compared to the Marth).

That particular video would be a rare exception of something I would allow. Realistically, I think most of us understand the MK wasn't doing so hot/didn't show that he knew the matchup as well as Mr. R did.

If enough of you feel the video should be taken down the certainly I'll take it down.

Top Bottom