• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I haven't looked at any new videos yet, probably won't until tonight. The videos I did add were old favorites of mine.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly, mine shouldn't be up there. I really wasn't paying much attention to the match. >_> I'll try to get a much, much better, quicker, **** match against a decent opponent sometime if you take it down. :3

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok, why was my "infamous" video of me on Brinstar as Wario taken down, yet Ficiton and Futile's clips from November 2008 are still up? I would think the older clips would be deleted first, unless they were directly superior than the newer clips.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
IMO unless it's extraordinarily good, I think all the matches from before January should be removed, just to keep it fresh.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Honestly, mine shouldn't be up there. I really wasn't paying much attention to the match. >_> I'll try to get a much, much better, quicker, **** match against a decent opponent sometime if you take it down. :3
Okay I'll take it down, but I would like to have your replacement. You do some things I don't see other Olimars doing.

Ok, why was my "infamous" video of me on Brinstar as Wario taken down, yet Ficiton and Futile's clips from November 2008 are still up? I would think the older clips would be deleted first, unless they were directly superior than the newer clips.
To be blunt, your video was taken down because all I saw was you jumping around while Snake blew himself up. And there were counter measures the Snake could have taken, but didn't, thus showing he didn't have good knowledge of the matchup and/or stage. If you think the video should be up there for the few good moments in there, then I might as well have combo videos again.

What you did was excellent. It won you the match, and probably couldn't have been done better on your part. But for the purposes of this thread, both combatants have to be extra good, otherwise I would have videos of pros owning noobs. Razer certainly isn't a noob, but I felt like he was unfamiliar to the situation in that match. That's why I took off your video.

IMO unless it's extraordinarily good, I think all the matches from before January should be removed, just to keep it fresh.
I have to agree, not to mention that it will encourage people to throw up more vids.
You can't define extraordinarily good though, and I don't see how old vids would discourage people from putting up new ones. I will say that there are some videos still on the list I would like to take down, but I'm keeping them because the character section would be bare otherwise. I'm willing to take those down as soon as I see better matches to replace them with.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I looked at all the new videos and I added some, but there were two I'm unsure about. I'd like to ask the community their opinion about them.

omni wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_N9d207Dus&feature=channel_page

NC-Echo's Olimar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaE_S9_bzCE

Although Omni shows some good spacing and mindgames, I keep comparing him to JJ's match I recently put up, and it doesn't seem as good. It could be just the stage though.

In NC-Echo's video he does very well, but I question the ability of his opponent. For instance, the Pikachu repeatedly falls for chaingrabs when he could dodge by double jumping.

EDIT: There's another thing I hope you can help me with. I'm looking for the best videos of omegablackmage (G&W), Ankoku (Sheik), Darkmusician (Zelda), and Undrdog (Pit). I know there are some worthy videos from those players somewhere.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I looked at all the new videos and I added some, but there were two I'm unsure about. I'd like to ask the community their opinion about them.

omni wolf

NC-Echo's Olimar

Although Omni shows some good spacing and mindgames, I keep comparing him to JJ's match I recently put up, and it doesn't seem as good. It could be just the stage though.

In NC-Echo's video he does very well, but I question the ability of his opponent. For instance, the Pikachu repeatedly falls for chaingrabs when he could dodge by double jumping.
Omni's video while it may not show off anything spectacular shows how the match-up should be played on a stage that is not often seen. It would be good for wolf mains to see so that they know what to do with if they choose to go there or are taken there.

As for my video: While I agree I did catch him with the grab probably more than I should have; there were some strategies employed by both players in the video that would be good for players of both characters to know especially since the match-up is considered pretty close.

JCav

Smash Lord
ok well omni has a very good wolf and jj also has a great wolf, i dont think i could pick between the two..

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Obviously Razer didn't play perfectly. I didn't either. I actually got HIT, which I should be able to avoid lol.

And no Snake does not have any good options on that stage. Trust me, Usmash doesn't work, Planting C4's and mines doesn't work, tossing and even bouncing greneades off the stage doesn't work.

Flying Aerials of any kind do not work, and obviously his ground game doesn't work since I am in the air.

Snake doesn't have any counter measures vs Wario on that stage. Which is why I picked it. :)

That video showcases how to play "gay" with Wario. It shows the character's ability to run well like that, something that might be useful if, say, he wants to beat a MK player badly. But now a lot of people are gonna miss the video, and have to wait for me to record another match like that which might not make it up here if you don't particularly like it.

If the community wants my video back up, why not just honor their request? Either way you look at it, There's more harm in not showing the video than there is showing it.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
First a clarification, I think DMG played well, I'm not arguing that. My problem is with Razer. Yes, no one can play perfectly, but after looking at the video for the third time, I can only describe his play in that match as sub-par.

He suicided on all three stocks, and repeatedly was damaged by his own explosives and lava. The Wario was only using one strategy, but he wasn't able to counter it when I believe he could have. He just had to be patient and force Wario to come to him.

Let me explain what I mean. There are four platforms on Brinstar, and it's possible for Snake to apply pressure to all of them relatively safely. He can lay a mine on the top middle platform, stand to defend one of the side platforms, wait for the lava to cover the bottom platform, and toss grenades or use missiles to attack the last platform. Now the lava doesn't come too often, but grenades are quick to throw and missiles can be disengaged, and as a precaution he can lay a C4 below and slightly in front of the platform he's on.

I didn't see Razer even attempt to control the whole stage in any variation. He kept tossing grenades and jumping straight to Wario, thus only ever controlling two out of the four areas at a time. Maybe it still would have been difficult for Razer even if he did what I suggest, but what he was doing made it easy for DMG.

EDIT: A response to DMG's edit. I'm perfectly willing to show a video that people see as cheap. I'd put up a video of planking even, so long as the opponent had an inkling of the best ways to counter it. I feel that Razer didn't even have an idea of what to do against DMG.

TP

Smash Master
I agree with DMG in this debate, especially concerning the "There's more harm in not showing the video than there is showing it" part.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SNAKE CANNOT JUST SIT THERE/WAIT FOR ME TO APPROACH WHEN I HAVE A % LEAD. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION lol. He would lose if I have the % lead. Standing there is almost worse than at least trying to hit me and damaging yourself in the process.

When would he have the time to plant a Mine on the top platform? From any point on the stage, I can jump and hit him if he decides to do so. Even if he got a mine up there, I can use my bike and have it land on the mine while it bounces off stage. Same thing for the C4, it explodes after a certain amount of time and I don't mind waiting that long for it to go off. If he tries to blow it up on purpose I can dodge it.

If he stands on one of the side platforms, I can stand on the bottom platform close to him and he is at a disadvantage.

Trust me, I've had months to think of ways Snake can beat Wario on this stage, and realistically he cannot.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Okay you're right. I only wanted someone to prove a point about the video instead of just telling me it's cool. You've done that, so now I'll put it back.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Snake can't control all of Brinstar, XD. Grenades and missiles are not going to bother a Wario on the other side of the screen.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You can't define extraordinarily good though, and I don't see how old vids would discourage people from putting up new ones. I will say that there are some videos still on the list I would like to take down, but I'm keeping them because the character section would be bare otherwise. I'm willing to take those down as soon as I see better matches to replace them with.
Im saying that if somebody stumbles past this thread, and sees that there are no vids up there for sonic, it will push them a little bit harder to look up good sonic vids to post here. and if not that, it will encourage people to actaully record themselves and try to fill that void themselves.

omni wolf

NC-Echo's Olimar

EDIT: There's another thing I hope you can help me with. I'm looking for the best videos of omegablackmage (G&W), Ankoku (Sheik), Darkmusician (Zelda), and Undrdog (Pit). I know there are some worthy videos from those players somewhere.
1. omnis wolf is a beast, and that match had to have been an incredibly solid game to beat the best pikachu player going right now. even if it wasnt flashy it was tight and on point and worthy of the spot
2. i dont think ankokus really plays brawl anymore, and i dont think he has any connections to brawl whatsoever past keeping up his tourney ranking thread. if you want to find a beast sheik, I suggest either light, who is from i believe texas, or mah boi armada, who just won a large scale European tourney with sheik only
3. there are other people who play Gdub and pit as well. Although i legit cant think of any zelda players besides darkmusician and ninjalink.
Snake can't control all of Brinstar, XD. Grenades and missiles are not going to bother a Wario on the other side of the screen.
you supposed to be the Reflex Wonder. how are you so late to the convo son?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
1. omnis wolf is a beast, and that match had to have been an incredibly solid game to beat the best pikachu player going right now. even if it wasnt flashy it was tight and on point and worthy of the spot
Just take a look at Omni's Wolf, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSzCvoxDDug&feature=related) and compare it to JJ's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrouY_DG_qk or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O49PkrNJmxg&feature=channel_page). Can you honestly say Omni's Wolf is a beast compared to JJ's considering Omni's is against someone that doesn't even play Diddy and JJ's is against two of the top Diddys in the nation at the moment.

This is supposed to be a place for the best videos of each character, not some Wolf beating somebody notable who probably doesn't even know the matchup that well and SDs in the process...If beating someone notable is all that matters, might as well put JJ beating Ally up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzS8V8G2Xqk&feature=channel_page). Just kidding, JJ's errors detract too much from the match...although there were some nice moments.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Im saying that if somebody stumbles past this thread, and sees that there are no vids up there for sonic, it will push them a little bit harder to look up good sonic vids to post here. and if not that, it will encourage people to actaully record themselves and try to fill that void themselves.
People will find videos no matter what I do. I consider this thread to be a "best of all time" list, not the "latest and greatest." The people who have stayed with this thread have seen the old and will see the new videos, but if I follow your suggestion, any newcomers will miss out on great old videos, and for what? To encourage people to find videos that will probably be submitted eventually anyway?

2. i dont think ankokus really plays brawl anymore, and i dont think he has any connections to brawl whatsoever past keeping up his tourney ranking thread. if you want to find a beast sheik, I suggest either light, who is from i believe texas, or mah boi armada, who just won a large scale European tourney with sheik only
3. there are other people who play Gdub and pit as well. Although i legit cant think of any zelda players besides darkmusician and ninjalink.
Ankoku does still play brawl. There are some recent tournament vids of him. But if you can find good sheik vids from other players that's fine. I was only listing notable players off the top of my head.

Concerning Omni's Wolf, as far as I can tell, few think his match is Wolf's best. It's a decent match and you can learn from it, but you can also learn from watching terrible players. I don't see this match withstanding the test of time, or even standing up to the vids already on the list. People will still be able to find it by going to the Wolf boards.

I am putting up Echo's Olimar. The only real mistake I can find from the Pikachu is his vulnerability to chaingrabs, otherwise he did alright.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
re: the luigi vid- zhao vs mal (me)
i chose marth out of desperation because i've never played a serious luigi until zhao. i have very little practice with marth and i chose him because my main (ddd) got destroyed in our first game. zhao is legit though, i'm not knocking him. but my marth sux.
my ddd can now match up against his weegee, i have a little more experiance playing him and now i don't get *****.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I find good lulz that my vid made it over Boss's Luigi vs. Chu XD. I guess they got tired of putting Boss **** up there ;)

I hope I can get some good ones this summer at Only in Niagara, even though I'll probably get boned.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
ahhhh so much hate on me goin on.

No matter where you go someone is gonna disagree with you. I beat alot of good players. so does JJ anyone who dosent think were good is stupid. JJ's videos are flashier than mine and that's what defines good now a days. I camp and i win. JJ is more aggressive and flashy I excel in matches he fails in and vice versa. What you people say Is a good match i call a normal wolf match and what you say is trash i say is an achievement.

If you don't like the video just say i dont like it. don't insult people :)

so im gonna leave it on this can any of you guys beat anther?

P.S. Thank you daKid for nominating me :)
*unsubscribes

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
im guessing they can only nominate on person for each character...
A person can have more then one character, I just didn't put yours up because I thought Zhao's was better.

ahhhh so much hate on me goin on.

No matter where you go someone is gonna disagree with you. I beat alot of good players. so does JJ anyone who dosent think were good is stupid. JJ's videos are flashier than mine and that's what defines good now a days. I camp and i win. JJ is more aggressive and flashy I excel in matches he fails in and vice versa. What you people say Is a good match i call a normal wolf match and what you say is trash i say is an achievement.

If you don't like the video just say i dont like it. don't insult people :)

so im gonna leave it on this can any of you guys beat anther?

P.S. Thank you daKid for nominating me :)
*unsubscribes
I hope you don't think I was insulting you. And I didn't think your match was too campy.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
imo there shouldn't be any 08 vids the metagame has changed too much
I'll only take down a 2008 video if you tell me how it's outdated and give me an example of a video showing discoveries that should drastically change how the matchup is played. If you don't like older videos, you don't have to watch them. All the videos are dated for that purpose.

Metagame is a nebulous term. All you need to be a good player are the basics like spacing, prediction, and valuation. Things that players have done well even early on.

Especially when two of the nominated falcons don't even play anymore.
Whether a player is still playing or not has no effect on how good their match is.

Coffee™

I need it....
Why do you still have up a video with a malformed ID and one that is private. Noone can see them so why bother?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'm going to look for alternate links to the videos before taking them down. They've been left there to serve as a reminder to me, and hopefully so someone sees it who knows where to find it.

Top Bottom