• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
That's not enough to consider Marth a terrible MU for ness. A bad MU maybe but not terrible.

Because MK has transcendent priority and beats him in the air too and yet people are suggesting MK is still a better MU for ness.
Laser priority is really bad for aerials.
Ness's fair > MK's aerials head to head.

zmx

Smash Lord
So why doesn't this apply to Marth as well? His aerials have enough range when spaced properly to beat out this laser priority?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Wait, can any character SDI Snake's F-tilt like that? If so, why don't we see more top players doing it?

zmx

Smash Lord
Wait, can any character SDI Snake's F-tilt like that? If so, why don't we see more top players doing it?
This is what I was implying with my question. I've never seen a top player do this consistently. Or at all really. So it's either a ness only thing or people just don't know how to do it. This is very surprising consider how good Ftilt is for snake.

If you know how, care to explain NickRiddle?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes, every character can SDI snake's ftilt like that. You don't see it too often because people don't put the effort into learning how to sdi properly + it takes higher than average reaction time (very doable though). Top level players do it if you look close enough, but not consistently.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
So why doesn't this apply to Marth as well? His aerials have enough range when spaced properly to beat out this laser priority?
Because MK players are stupid when fighting Ness, and they're more scared to edgeguard.
Have you seen what MK does to Marth off-stage?
MKs are scared of PKT2 half the time, so Ness recovers.

Because you have to predict the move. It's faster than human reaction time. Out of GR, you KNOW it's coming.

This is what I was implying with my question. I've never seen a top player do this consistently. Or at all really. So it's either a ness only thing or people just don't know how to do it. This is very surprising consider how good Ftilt is for snake.

If you know how, care to explain NickRiddle?
You... SDI behind him... with both sticks.
Really guys? If you know a move is coming, you can SDI it better as the window is small.
If Snake just f-titls... it's like 4 or 6 frames.
If he does it out of GR, it's grab frames + pummel frames + break-out frames.
It's easier to predict.

smh

Chuee

Smash Hero
Ness can SDI the ftilt, but it's only if he releases towards snake. Then snake gets a free grab.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yes, every character can SDI snake's ftilt like that. You don't see it too often because people don't put the effort into learning how to sdi properly + it takes higher than average reaction time (very doable though). Top level players do it if you look close enough, but not consistently.
this mostly.

its a lot easier to sdi something when you know its coming out of a grab release as opposed to reacting to in in the fast pace of a match.

a better question would be, why do people still let falco spike them offstage after a chaingrab and why do people still get hit by the full jab combo out of squirtles grab release.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
this mostly.

its a lot easier to sdi something when you know its coming out of a grab release as opposed to reacting to in in the fast pace of a match.

a better question would be, why do people still let falco spike them offstage after a chaingrab and why do people still get hit by the full jab combo out of squirtles grab release.
Personally, I SDI up and uair Falco for the spike, and I get a combo off of it.
I like it better. :awesome:

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Ness can SDI the ftilt, but it's only if he releases towards snake. Then snake gets a free grab.
This ^. It's not as simple as nickriddle makes it seem. If Shaky really did that so many times then when he di close to MVD(preparing to sdi the hit), MVD should have just uptilted him instead of ftilt or regrab as chuee stated.

The fact that players can think and mix things up make all the theory stuff not 100% correct.

It's best to di away most of the time and take the ftilt damage if yer caught in a grab or else u get regrabbed or uptilted. Most of us are diing away to avoid the uptilt. Scary move. Also, I may be wrong but I think to sdi behind the snake as ness or lucas you have to be below a certain percent.

Tesh

Smash Hero
This ^. It's not as simple as nickriddle makes it seem. If Shaky really did that so many times then when he di close to MVD(preparing to sdi the hit), MVD should have just uptilted him instead of ftilt or regrab as chuee stated.

The fact that players can think and mix things up make all the theory stuff not 100% correct.

It's best to di away most of the time and take the ftilt damage if yer caught in a grab or else u get regrabbed or uptilted. Most of us are diing away to avoid the uptilt. Scary move. Also, I may be wrong but I think to sdi behind the snake as ness or lucas you have to be below a certain percent.
I'm pretty sure you can't avoid the uptilt regardless of how you DI. Its frame 7 and the range is way too godly for the different release distances to matter. For Ftilt 1 and Uptilt, the best DI is towards Snake's back because it lets you punish Ftilt and its the best way to survive uptilt. I think Lucas releases farther than Ness but...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Also, I may be wrong but I think to sdi behind the snake as ness or lucas you have to be below a certain percent.
It's almost completely distance-based. The amount you can SDI is based on how much hitlag there is on the attack, which is slightly affected by damage and percent but not enough to make a gigantic difference. As for the act of doing it, it's not very difficult as long as you see it coming and time it (I've also gotten it on accident many times when immediately hitting shield and up-toward just to preemptively DI), but SDIing the hit properly on reaction isn't very reasonable.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
There's also the fact that if you get hit by Jab1 from Snake, you should just expect the ftilt1 (cause it's always coming lol) and start SDIing on reaction

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's not that difficult to SDI behind snake's ftilt (or at least for Ike). Sometimes I even do it on accident.

Mostly people should prepare to at least DI when they know they are in danger. When you know you misspaced, after a committed dodge like spotdodge or roll, or if your attacks didn't hit your opponent.

SDI is added knowledge of what your opponent is likely to punish you with depending on both of your spacing, although my natural direction to SDI is up and away.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
FOW probably trained really hard in the MU to get past SK92 in his own local region.

Chuee

Smash Hero
MU inexperience?

Just wondering, but FOW really dominated though so it's kinda hard to believe.

Gonna be hype at Apex
Nah, Larry knows the MU, he's beaten Shaky a few times and beat FOW solidly at Genesis. Though, Larry seemed a bit off then.

zmx

Smash Lord
DEHF seemed really off that tourny. Watch his mikehaze match. This is the guy that DOMINATED him with falco in the past. Whereas when he picked falco against his marth this tourny it was like he just picked up the character a few weeks ago.....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Would also explain why he lost to mr concon.

i had biglou explain the falco luigi matchup to me one time. dehf shouldnt be losing that.

zmx

Smash Lord
Just saw the match and it was funny when he didn't edge hog ness. I think it was out of respect/honor as he screwed up his recovery or something.

Fow returned the favor by spiking him the first chance he got a few seconds later.

Lol.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is no honor when money is on the line. I'd take any chance given to me. I'd consider it disrespectful for holding back on not punishing a mistake made.

zmx

Smash Lord
I wholeheartedly agree with you. That's why I was surprised DEHF did that.

Edit:

However say I nearly SDed and had my foe refused to take the free edge hog kill knowing it was because of a dumb technical error. I certainly WOULD return the favor if a similar situation came up in the set. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't. But then again when put on the spot I might change my mind.

Top Bottom