• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Has Sky done anything great in the past 6 months? I mean like top 15 at a national or top 5 consistent results in his region (hard to compare MW to his region so anything close to that is still good enough)

I realize too that he doesnt just main wario as well.

Im gunna edit main post soon with criteria requirements for movements soon, and I dont mean just placements like I just did above.

When I ask these questions I also expect other info like who he beat, etc...
Me and sky tied for 2nd highest placing warios at apex.

Sky is just really good.

I don't know who he beat at Apex, or how he placed.. but I do know he beat some fairly good people to make it out of pools.
I saw him beat domo. Not sure who else was in his pool. As for placing, see above.

Let me say this. I did not get "gayed' out of pools. My DI was atrocious vs False which lead me to lose the set. I'm not taking anything away from his win cause he is a very good and underrated snake imo, but i'm just saying. I got nair'd WAY too much. He outplayed me.

Also, i 3 stocked seibrik's mk and beat his d3 and didn't get out of pools :bee::bee::bee:

Also, the wario list IMO (dont care about order) It's me/reflex/malc/kryst/sky (why do people sleep on this gay niq?)
Im hurt.

Malcolm forfeited out of his round 1 pool at apex. Not really fair to move me down then place him above me IMO. Although I have been pretty inactive lately (aside from apex), I do plan on being more active this semester (Last semester of college was killer, barely had free time).

But yeah, reflex was the highest placing wario at apex and me and sky were tied for 2nd highest.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
But I still disagree NR. Are u saying that a playstyle can't be better than another?

This is good tho.

I think the way someone is judged needs to be stated here.
Some people obviously just want singles results.

I say Kryst states the criteria since he is in charge.

The results only thing is so effy cuz many players don't use only one character.
Example, Delux only uses Ice-climbers I think while Esam uses Pika and ice-climbers.
It is impossible to say if one play-style is better outright than any other.
Some work better on some people/characters, others work on other people/characters.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Hmm NR I understand what u are saying but I disagree. New tactics are discovered.
Generally speaking an 2012 snake play style(if anything new has been discovered) is better than an 08 one right?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I defend myself when you feel the need to slander me while defending yourself.

I do not insult you.

I think you are good. I think you have a different playstyle than I do. is it better?

i dont know

but just for an example for you to see what you're saying to me.

I do better v logic than you do by far.

does that mean I'm better?

how narrow minded does that sound?

There are so many factors into why that is the case, that "player v player" data, can not be used to accurately judge who is better.

That is what tournaments are for.

Flayl

Smash Hero
if you could find like 5 shared opponents (different matchups) that would be enough IMO

just 1 is inui logic tho

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
The only things I do far as criteria go is look at the player themselves, know if I heard of them or not from this thread, this board, the community, or in tournament personally, and then if I don't know I ask or it figure it out.

From there on criteria is

Placement + Tournament Size
Regional Differences + Ruleset
Character Matchup Difficulty
The Person themself, their ability matched up against opponents they've beaten.

So Jaytown86 gets 1st out of 86, beats 4 really good players (I'm thinking at least God Kai level, at most Poltergust level, in terms of dominance), uses :snake:, and the rest of his matches are pretty low level or mid level players.

1st out of a lot of entrants = medium influence
Each good player = medium influence
Each pro player (Ally level and above) = important
Character choice = light influence (changes to medium influence if said user uses G or H tier and the opponent uses C or above)

Thats how I look at it in my mind right now, there's no set criteria other than the fact that there is no EXCLUSIVE one shot way of getting on the top 5. I don't care if you place 1st at every local, you're not getting anything above 3rd unless you're beating good players that otherwise go OoR :x'

Likewise, beat up M2K or ESAM in MMs all dai long, but keep getting that 33rd bro and stay free to bracket.

JTsm

Smash Master
Shoutouts to Salem and DRN(Izaya :awesome: ) For beasting at Apex!! :bee:

Did Salem vs NickRiddle ever got recorded?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
PF why couldn't it be that maybe u are better at the olimar matchup than me. What is wrong with that. U living close to logic and getting to play him more helps. But that is still what helped u be the smasher u are. I don't think that is being narrow minded. I never said that is the only factor. I said it can help decide.

Me and u have placed the same in singles recently(not doubles...that's my thing baby ;) )
So why do u think I'm better than u. I don't get it? Based off of results me and u should be = in your mind. U must be looking at other factors right?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
PF why couldn't it be that maybe u are better at the olimar matchup than me. What is wrong with that. U living close to logic and getting to play him more helps. But that is still what helped u be the smasher u are. I don't think that is being narrow minded. I never said that is the only factor. I said it can help decide.

Me and u have placed the same in singles recently(not doubles...that's my thing baby ;) )
So why do u think I'm better than u. I don't get it? Based off of results me and u should be = in your mind. U must be looking at other factors right?
I'll sum up the reasoning:

:018:

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master

That's what I mean. Maybe you are better at the pikachu MU than I am.

We like different things. Our playstyles are not optimizing the character. I like to be grounded. I have a solid ground game. You like to jump alot.

Our playstyles could be more effective against one type of player.

You can have doubles lol.

I thought you were at xanadu, when you had the hype from beating esam and things, but we've been placing the same, so I am not so sure anymore.

It's honestly just speculation now.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Just see it as more room for your character to grow and call it a day. It's like this with a lot of other top 2 for other characters.

Coney

Smash Master
are we really arguing against the use of results to establish who is better than who LMFAO

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU USE

results are, as far as i'm aware, the only exhibits we can scrutinize, the only objective evidence for a player being beyond another. there are, of course, exceptions...players get bracket ****ed, have bad days, run into unpredictable matchups, whatever. but on the whole, great players outplace good players, period

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea but when yer using nonviable tourney characters(for singles) lol luck is heavily involved. Getting certain matchups are almost unwinnable at high level play. With that fact I think it is unfair to only look at tourney results. Also, I'll say again not everyone uses only one character. But people have their opinions and I understand what yall are saying. I just disagree

And please don't say that is my choice to pick him. Before someone responds to that I focus on doubles. I just play singles to see how far I can place and sometimes singles is fun :)

Coney

Smash Master
i get what you're saying but...

if there are two captain falcons

they are both accepting that their godawful character choice is going to hinder them

they are both equally likely to run into ****ty matchups pretty much across the board

again, **** happens and luck plays a factor (this is true for ANY character, my main character's presence in bracket is literally riding the bracket until i am forced to fight a ****ty matchup twice), but on the whole, if you consistently compare the two players, the better of the two will show a trend of success

if one consistently gets lucky, it's not luck anymore

unless it's me with gordos :colorful:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
i get what you're saying but...

if there are two captain falcons

they are both accepting that their godawful character choice is going to hinder them

they are both equally likely to run into ****ty matchups pretty much across the board

again, **** happens and luck plays a factor (this is true for ANY character, my main character's presence in bracket is literally riding the bracket until i am forced to fight a ****ty matchup twice), but on the whole, if you consistently compare the two players, the better of the two will show a trend of success

if one consistently gets lucky, it's not luck anymore

unless it's me with gordos :colorful:
Your character is gay.

Also, isn't luck isn't involved in playing non-viable characters, unless you're doing random seeding. Even then, you should always keep tabs on your opposition at a tournament. I know the mains, secondaries and tertiaries of almost any person I'm at the same tournament as. It keeps me prepared for when I possibly have to face them in doubles, pools and/or singles bracket. Not to say I'm gonna beat X person in tournament, but I know what I'm up against character-wise.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Wow @ these lists for wario. Intense.

How can I even be in the top 3? I didn't beat anyone @ Apex or do anything. I got DQ'd from doubles and forfeitted singles. I havent done anything @ a tournament in a long time either. Let the ppl who did work be recognized. Reflex Sky Bassem top 3 in w/e order. If other ppl want to be above them...find time to attend nationals and prove yourself. After those 3 its a toss up.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yea but when yer using nonviable tourney characters(for singles) lol luck is heavily involved. Getting certain matchups are almost unwinnable at high level play. With that fact I think it is unfair to only look at tourney results. Also, I'll say again not everyone uses only one character. But people have their opinions and I understand what yall are saying. I just disagree

And please don't say that is my choice to pick him. Before someone responds to that I focus on doubles. I just play singles to see how far I can place and sometimes singles is fun :)
when I say results are the only thing that matter I mean it with who you play in tournament already taken into account. If someone gets 2nd at a local beating 4 complete random scrubs and losing to m2k and then someone gets next to beating someone actually good then I'd say the person who got next to last has better results than the person who got 2nd

bassem6

Smash Lord
Wow @ these lists for wario. Intense.

How can I even be in the top 3? I didn't beat anyone @ Apex or do anything. I got DQ'd from doubles and forfeitted singles. I havent done anything @ a tournament in a long time either. Let the ppl who did work be recognized. Reflex Sky Bassem top 3 in w/e order. If other ppl want to be above them...find time to attend nationals and prove yourself. After those 3 its a toss up.
Why did you forfeit singles at apex malc :(? Only 3 wario mains even made it out of both pools. We needed you for that character rep bro haha.

Inb4 wario4midtier

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Over exaggeration is godlike in here.

Can we move on?

I'd like to know one thing as a subject changer; does any person here know ANY freakin' Pits that are doing work in US/CAN/MEX?
If your counting mexico as well ~ED~ does work in mexico. He even has some games of him beating TKD.

Judo777

Smash Master
Hmmm not sure where I stand on that. I'll admit that you can get outplayed on the character select screen (be careful though with how you say that). But if that's the case then you can't necessarily attribute that to a players skill. If for instance Mekos chooses to play Lucas, and the other player picks a CG char, then yes Mekos is getting outplayed but he is also in a sense handicapping himself intentionally, (by not choosing a better character EVEN if he is best with Lucas). So in a sense he is not playing at his maximum capability so you can't really say he is less skilled because he is choosing to handicap himself (which btw every low/mid tier main IS doing, I realize Sheik is my best charact [most time put into her] but my Snake isn't far behind and if I chose to main him I could do much better). He is going almost even or doing well with a huge handicap.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
when I say results are the only thing that matter I mean it with who you play in tournament already taken into account. If someone gets 2nd at a local beating 4 complete random scrubs and losing to m2k and then someone gets next to beating someone actually good then I'd say the person who got next to last has better results than the person who got 2nd
Ahh I agree with this.

mikeray4

Smash Ace
I'm the 4th best mario because I've won the 4th most amount of money using him

Infern $218.7
Ally $162
Blaise $71.8
Mikeray $62.2
Boss $37.5

copied from John#'s

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Why did you forfeit singles at apex malc :(? Only 3 wario mains even made it out of both pools. We needed you for that character rep bro haha.

Inb4 wario4midtier
Tbh it was 10 or 11PM when my pool finished (due to me being late partially) and I thought we were gonna do 2nd round pools that night. I heard them say wake up @ 9AM, figured second round wouldn't even end til 1 or 2 and decided I'd rather hang out with my friends who I rarely get to see. I woke up the next day to find out 2nd round pools hadn't even gone on yet, but after declaring my forfeit like that..it would be soooo grimy to try and get back in and it wasn't a big deal to me anyway.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Tbh it was 10 or 11PM when my pool finished I heard them say wake up @ 9AM, figured second round wouldn't even end til 1 or 2 and decided I'd rather hang out with my friends who I rarely get to see.
Sounds about right on why I forfeited pools as well after being unable to practice that whole day.

falln

Smash Ace
Hmmm not sure where I stand on that. I'll admit that you can get outplayed on the character select screen (be careful though with how you say that). But if that's the case then you can't necessarily attribute that to a players skill. If for instance Mekos chooses to play Lucas, and the other player picks a CG char, then yes Mekos is getting outplayed but he is also in a sense handicapping himself intentionally, (by not choosing a better character EVEN if he is best with Lucas). So in a sense he is not playing at his maximum capability so you can't really say he is less skilled because he is choosing to handicap himself (which btw every low/mid tier main IS doing, I realize Sheik is my best charact [most time put into her] but my Snake isn't far behind and if I chose to main him I could do much better). He is going almost even or doing well with a huge handicap.
i disagree with this idea entirely. you don't get to say that you're handicapping yourself unless you've been like dominating with meta or w/e and then choose to switch to worse characters for the hell of it. if you're maining a low/mid tier character with a lower potential for skilled play (lucas is going to have less possible options than meta knight at most if not all circumstances), it's arrogant to say that you're simply choosing not to showcase how skilled you are because you're using a bad character

allshort17

Smash Ace
Some Wario's who can also be #4 or 5 are Waymas, Jnig, and Croi. I don't know all their results, but they are active and have probably beaten enough notable players to be considered.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
If your counting mexico as well ~ED~ does work in mexico. He even has some games of him beating TKD.
Ed! Cool. We'll talk.

Agreed, ED has been the best Pit in Mexico for sometime now...
That's good, I wish we had more results threads to look at but I feel like he should be on there before any other new Pits get on if this is the case. Cuz like we (pits) are still leveling up.

I'm the 4th best mario because I've won the 4th most amount of money using him

Infern $218.7
Ally $162
Blaise $71.8
Mikeray $62.2
Boss $37.5

copied from John#'s
Some Wario's who can also be #4 or 5 are Waymas, Jnig, and Croi. I don't know all their results, but they are active and have probably beaten enough notable players to be considered.

Money earned isn't an... indicator. Or anything in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom