• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

Jupz

Smash Master
Interesting new video Shmot.

OMG that link is a lifesaver too.

This is an amazing thread you've put together.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
against mk you mostly be saving your c4 in case you get knocked slightly offstage, else mk will chase and gimp you. thats my view on the matter at least.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Thankyou Ankoku. If it isn't too hard, could you upload Brood (Olimar) vs Shuu (Snake) Losers Finals please?
Thanks in advance, and don't worry if its too much hassle.
Will do. Made a mistake, apparently Shuu went Meta Knight for game 1, but Snake for the other two. Also, there's a bunch of new vids up on that list now. Translations:
Friendlies - Ikeda (Zero Suit Samus) vs Naruki (Lucario)
Friendlies - Ikeda (Zero Suit Samus) vs Metabii (Kirby)
3v3 Grand Finals - Round 5 - Kakera (Ice Climbers) vs Brood (Olimar)
3v3 Grand Finals - Round 4 - Kakera (Ice Climbers) vs Yui (Meta Knight)
3v3 Grand Finals - Round 3 - Kakera (Ice Climbers) vs Shuu (Snake)
3v3 Grand Finals - Round 2 - Shige (Diddy Kong) vs Shuu (Snake)
3v3 Grand Finals - Round 1 - Plus (Meta Knight) vs Shuu (Snake)
3v3 3rd Place Finals - Round 3 - Smasher (Toon Link) vs Coral (Peach)
3v3 3rd Place Finals - Round 2 - Smasher (Toon Link) vs Tamanyaso (Meta Knight)
3v3 3rd Place Finals - Round 1 - Smasher (Toon Link) vs Kein (Mr. Game & Watch)
3v3 Semifinals 2 - Round 4 - Kakera (Ice Climbers) vs Coral (Peach)
3v3 Semifinals 2 - Round 3 - Kakera (Ice Climbers) vs Kein (Mr. Game & Watch)
3v3 Semifinals 2 - Round 2 - Plus (Meta Knight) vs Kein (Mr. Game & Watch)
3v3 Semifinals 2 - Round 1 - Plus (Meta Knight) vs Tamanyaso (Meta Knight)
3v3 Semifinals 1 - Round 4 - Brood (Olimar) vs Earth (Sheik)
3v3 Semifinals 1 - Round 3 - Brood (Olimar) vs Nagahari (Diddy Kong)
3v3 Semifinals 1 - Round 2 - Brood (Olimar) vs Smasher (Toon Link)
3v3 Semifinals 1 - Round 2 - Shuu (Meta Knight) vs Smasher (Toon Link)

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUjNUsthjoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngXe32r6frs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm_KunyU1pM

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
against mk you mostly be saving your c4 in case you get knocked slightly offstage, else mk will chase and gimp you. thats my view on the matter at least.
He's right. I'd pretty much not use C4 until you're at like 75% or so (very important against Falco if he CG -> dairs you and you don't tech or DI the dair)

Although I might add, you have a really good handle of using Nikita, considering that move isn't really explored in the US snake metagame (generally because we think it's really situational most of the time). I might have to add though that you might wanna grab more, I'm not saying fish for grabs but you have that dumb port priority to help use grenades, and you had some windows of opportunity that you could've gotten a grab.

Nice grenade camping though, very hardcore pressure.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure if you mean to be directing that at shmot, but the Snake player in the vid is Shuu.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Whoopsy, yeah that was for Shuu I guess.

Also relooking at the list of videos, Naruki's probably one of the better Lucarios I've seen from the bunch given, although I'd have to tell him to use less AA -> FP, and more A -> grab instead, or mixing it up more. If he's the best, then Lucario's metagame is pretty underdeveloped in Japan, although I'll admit he probably has some potential.

Attila_

BRoomer
I'm not sure if you mean to be directing that at shmot, but the Snake player in the vid is Shuu.
this made me lol somewhat. although i am training with this style of metagame and it is influencing my play quite a bit. nikita is actually quite handy.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
They really need to learn to DI, in the Kakera vs. Yui Match, I saw he lost a stock extremely early to a quick uncharged F-smash. Also, one the last stock the could have survived the up smash with some DI as well, because Kakera did not charge the Up Smash.

Tell them mofos the learn some DI skills.

swordgard

Smash Hero
They really need to learn to DI, in the Kakera vs. Yui Match, I saw he lost a stock extremely early to a quick uncharged F-smash. Also, one the last stock the could have survived the up smash with some DI as well, because Kakera did not charge the Up Smash.

Tell them mofos the learn some DI skills.

Rolling on the floor laughing.

Some people are not looking at what they should be looking!

Attila_

BRoomer
there is an ok wario called 'lever' (rebaa) but he's nothing special, and while their we're a few zeldas about, i dont remember any of their names.

Attila_

BRoomer
rain didnt make the finals/semis this tourney, so no videos were taken of him. ill verse him in friendlies at some point and get some.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
That approach backwards with grenade tactic shouldn't work vs. MK because all the MK has to do is stay on the floor and keep running to read the roll of the snake to the grab.

That is of course if the Snake just rolls away.

Attila_

BRoomer
mk still cant really safely approach on the ground, else he could be met with a bair oos or similar. not to mention the snake wont necessarily roll in the first place. and its not like this is all the snake does, either.

it is mainly a scare tactic to stop a spam of tornado.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Bair oos won't beat dtilt. Nor would it beat me just WALKING SLIGHTLY AWAY if I see you shield drop. And the moment a good MK catches a Snake bairing... he's in trouble. A L O T of trouble.

MK can dtilt your shield once and dash grab and Snakes only option is to roll/spot dodge. ONLY OPTION.

Snake can't approach MK. This approaching backwards thing is only really effective in restricting MK's [mostly aerial] movements, but who cares, because MK is awesome on the ledge and can afford to run to it once in that situation. MK's main (maybe only?) grounded fears in the match up are ftilt, nades and grabs... I've said it already, but facing backwards removes one of MK's entire fears, with the other two being relatively easy to beat with good spacing...

And if someone tries trolling one more time saying MK can't outspace snake's nades Ima rage.

Attila_

BRoomer
no one is saying that mk cant deal with backwards nades, but it does limit his options. not claiming it to be a match breaking discovery or anything, in fact, as i stated earlier, it is mostly a means of dealing with competent tornado spam.

gallax

Smash Hero
all the mk had to do was dtilt shuu when he approached backwards. it really isnt that good of a strategy to approach with. the best time to use the "backwards" nade tactic is when you know the mk is going to use a tornado or hit you when falling back on stage(but even with good spacing you should be able to avoid the nade)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
And if someone tries trolling one more time saying MK can't outspace snake's nades Ima rage.
Where were you when literally everyone was saying that way back in the first MK ban thread? I was literally the only person who said that you could, and here I was having just come off from arguing with M2K about who's dtilt had more range, snake or mk's? (I said MK)

Granted I was anti-ban, but I figured it didn't do anyone any good to pretend MUs were better then they are.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The list is the translation of the videos on the playlist that shmot linked a few pages back.

Attila_

BRoomer
all the video links ive littered throughout the thread have also been added to the op. checking there for vids is the easiest way to find them.

hopefully ill be going to my mates house for smash next weekend. with my capture card in hand this time ;)

cenel

Smash Apprentice
Those ice climbers are amazinga O_O. Btw OP how can shuu be best snake in Japan he seems really inferior compared to Souther. Are you 100% sure Shuu is the best snake in japan?

Attila_

BRoomer
Those ice climbers are amazinga O_O. Btw OP how can shuu be best snake in Japan he seems really inferior compared to Souther. Are you 100% sure Shuu is the best snake in japan?
i asked around and this was the opinion of EVERYONE. theyve probably played in the past and Shuu won the ditto. i shouldve asked that too O_o

Souther is aggressive, so perhaps it makes him look like a better player. Shuu is slow and calculating... but very little is actually going to hit him (unless youre kakera).

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Do they have any catch phrases over there?

Like when someone has good DI do they say "Thats that Tokyo DI!"
Got anything like that going on?

Attila_

BRoomer
i dont really remember anything as such... just saying things are awesome (うまい), and they would say 低い (lit. meaning shallow, low) when the DI was horrible. didnt notice anything special.

although there was one guy who people claimed invented laser camping and fleeing with illusions with falco. this made me lol quite considerably. they called it the 'Fujita technique' or something like that...

O_o

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I thought laser camping would have been invented in like Smash64 or Melee. I find that funny.

They need better catchphrases, our slang talk metagame is far superior, and everyone knows thats what's important.

Cross.

Smash Ace
shmot said:
one of the main things i noticed straight away is how many underused characters are actually used in japan.
Japan is the king of not sleeping on any character, it has always been that way in every fighter they play. You see them do crazy stuff with some characters you thought couldnt win no matter what.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Japan is the king of not sleeping on any character, it has always been that way in every fighter they play. You see them do crazy stuff with some characters you thought couldnt win no matter what.
Yes, but its not like they can completely change the tier lists from what they use.

Top Bottom