• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Me as a kid playing the funny game where Mario is made of paper (the butterfly and the vampire are finally getting married)

View attachment 392450

As a kid, this game absolutely blew my mind.

The thing is...the story still holds up today, it's arguably the best story ever told in a Mario game, and while that's not a high bar to clear on it's own...it's also a remarkably powerful story all in it's own right.

Heck, even some of the Chapter stories, especially 4 and 7, stand out for being some insanely well-written and emotional storytelling. Super game and TTYD had the best stories out of all of the Mario spin-offs by far.

I still think Super would've done better if it had the gameplay of the Thousand Year Door...But the story alone makes the game worthwhile to play.

Shroob

Sup?
Has anyone been seeing this little thing pop up in their recs lately?

I know Vinny apparently played a game featuring it but I never watched that VOD

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
"I'm gonna do nothing today"

"Holy **** I'm bored"
Literally me.

Doing a lot of large amount of work in one day makes me want to relax for a few hours or possibly even most of the following day.

But then I feel like I'm doing nothing productive when I really should be.

The dilemma is real.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
On the topic of games that made me cry, I'm not sure if any made me do so but some did hit hard emotionally.
  • Of course there's SPM's ending. I regret having goldfish brain and skipping the dialogue in between chapters
  • On Paper Mario, Bobby's death in Origami King hurt too, cause I was so used to Bob-Omb partners coming back. But nope, this time it was permanent, and the game played it super straight too despite how silly it looked when you think about it, so props to them for that.
  • Wind Waker's ending. The king's final speech about how Link and Tetra were the future, how he regrets getting children involved with his boomer squabble with Ganon, him wanting to go above the surface but he realizes it's best to be a part of history instead. I may have cried here but it's been a while.
  • Celeste's Farewell chapter. Hit me like a truck, and it's gonna hit even harder for me for reasons I already explained week or so ago.
  • DQ: Veronica's Death in DQ11. Also made Serena my favorite character in that game and unga bunga busted, but then part 3 undoes all that. I wish she stayed dead
  • Mario Galaxy. Top tier ending, Galaxy 2 was so weak story wise. What a letdown
  • Pokemon Black and White. Top tier ending.
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon. Top Tier ending and I almost cried.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield. I can't believe I dropped $90 on it and I almost cried.
  • KH 358 days. iykyk.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
On the topic of games that made me cry, I'm not sure if any made me do so but some did hit hard emotionally.
  • Of course there's SPM's ending. I regret having goldfish brain and skipping the dialogue in between chapters
  • On Paper Mario, Bobby's death in Origami King hurt too, cause I was so used to Bob-Omb partners coming back. But nope, this time it was permanent, and the game played it super straight too despite how silly it looked when you think about it, so props to them for that.
  • Wind Waker's ending. The king's final speech about how Link and Tetra were the future, how he regrets getting children involved with his boomer squabble with Ganon, him wanting to go above the surface but he realizes it's best to be a part of history instead. I may have cried here but it's been a while.
  • Celeste's Farewell chapter. Hit me like a truck, and it's gonna hit even harder for me for reasons I already explained week or so ago.
  • DQ: Veronica's Death in DQ11. Also made Serena like my favorite character in that game and unga bunga busted, but then part 3 undoes all that. I wish she stayed dead
  • Mario Galaxy. Top tier ending, Galaxy 2 was so weak story wise. What a letdown
  • Pokemon Black and White. Top tier ending.
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon. Top Tier ending and I almost cried.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield. I can't believe I dropped $90 on it and I almost cried.
  • KH 358 days. iykyk.
1721018052327.png

Got a laugh out of me

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh how could I forget, OneShot. I actually cried playing this game. My dog passed away like a day before (I had to put her down), so I played it as a pick me up. Went into it blind, my only knowledge was MooMew64 (I hope you're doing well wherever you are) and they liked the game.

Anyways, the game was so adorable that I genuinely cried. It was a flurry of emotions and such but at the end of the day it gave me a huge boost of positivity. It didn't completely offset the death of my dog but at the same time it genuinely lifted my spirits on an otherwise ****ty week.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Undertale, NieR Automata, Omori and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 absolutely made me cry.

Those are just off the top of my head, There are absolutely some others that I am not thinking of ATM

EDIT: Got pretty close with Yakuza 3 now that I am thinking about it

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't remember the first game that ever made me cry.

But either growing up or later going into my teenage years, it was probably Super Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Super Paper Mario and Undertale that hit me the hardest emotionally. Many parts of Shovel Knight (all four campaigns) also hit pretty hard.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Games that made me cry:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team and Explorers: Yeah the ending where you leave your partner to go back to the human world always hits hard

FFXV: The ending and the bit with the campfire at the end of the journey is so good, the game was rife with issues but damn I enjoyed the road trip with The Lads a bunch and that ending was beautiful "Walk tall... My friends" Would be nice if we got all the DLC they had planned instead of turning it into a book but lol Square gonna Square. That **** was gonna be peak. #ArdynWasRight

Persona 3: The ending is peak. ****ing beautiful. Passing away peacefully after everything, the messages about living life to the full. Just peak.

Fire Emblem Awakening: When Lucina reveals her true identity to Chrom properly and they embrace with Chrom fully understanding the whole situation in a mature manner. He puts everything together and tells her she deserved so much more than a sword and a world of troubles. Also when Lucina holds Robin/You at sword point after Validar mind controls you, especially if you've chosen to marry her or are her parent hits extremely hard as she has to reconcile going through with killing her partner/other parent.

Yakuza 0: Majima walking away from Makoto and disappearing into the crowd in the ending after everything he went through for her knowing she's now safe with her doctor (who goes on to become her husband with Majima telling him to do so) ****ed me up and then they twist the knife after the credits when he had her watch fixed for her and left it where she'd go to remember her dead brother whilst she's going over everything that happened to her and and all the people who helped her and noting that she never even learned Majima's name

Yakuza Kiwami 2: Majima back at it again this time with his reunion with Makoto in the Majima Saga. He gets to hear her thank him for what he did even though she doesn't know it's him that she's giving a massage to and he makes note that her watch he fixed for her has a new strap. When leaving he's asked about the experience and he says "Ya worked out some knots I've had for 18 years" which is a gut punch. And then Majima learns she's leaving the country from her co-worker so he gets her an anonymous gift which is a new strap for her watch which is like the one she used to have and Makoto learns this when she's on the plane with her family and sees the gift he got her with her saying "I have no regrets, not anymore"

Yakuza 6: Kiryu fakes his death at the end of the game so the kids at the orphanage he ran between Yakuza 3 to Yakuza 6 + Haruka and her husband and son can stay safe with the game matching him walking away with Haruka's son taking his first steps. It's like the end of an era and a massive sacrifice on Kiryu's part that he throws every part of his life away for the sake of the kids he's helped raise.

Yakuza Like a Dragon: Once again the ending does it. Masato Arakawa gets stabbed by Japanese Ben Shapiro Kume and dies in Ichiban's arm after Ichi also lost his father. Ichi takes the hits extremely well and goes to their memorial and stands looking up at the sky on a bridge afterwards saying "Once you're at rock bottom,the only place to go is up. There's no shame in being at the bottom, all that matters is how you decide how to climb out of the darkness. There's always a ray of hope up there." Which yeah that's ****ing amazing. Bless you Ichiban Kasuga.

Like a Dragon Gaiden: That ending killed me ten times over. Kiryu gets a video of two of the kids from the orphanage talking to him because they found a hidden camera at his grave and think he's watching them. Kiryu proceeds to breakdown for the first time ever as he realises that all of the kids he raised are doing good in the world, they're all still growing up just fine without him and realises that maybe he needed them more than they needed him. Then he gets shown a photo of a drawing from Haruka's son and **** man the waterworks went. Last time Kiryu saw that kid he couldn't speak or walk. Now he's grown so much he can read and write but he still can't get to actually see them grow but he knows that everyone is doing fine.

LaD Infinite Wealth: This ***** got me three times. First one is a substory: Oh wow this crazy guy is running around chucking ice over himself what an idiot, yeah we'll help I guess? Oh this is because he wants to make it snow for his terminally ill and bedridden wife who can die any day now. We'll come back to this later when we find a solution. Hey what the **** is the manbaby patriarch from Kiwami 2 and Y:LaD doing here? Oh god we're using diapers to make fake snow so the dude's wife can see snow one last time. And she does and passes away shortly after. This has the grown ass Yakuza Patriarch wearing a diaper btw, what the **** RGG. Second is one of Kiryu's memoirs. Hey a new generation of Pocket Circuit, awesome, Kiryu had a great time racing these in 0 and K1 and he got to see PCF in Y6 all grown up with a family and still being awesome. Cool memories. So we help the new Pocket Circuit Fighter out with some good advice and then help him out when he goes and tries to help some of the Pocket Circuit kids out with some thugs. Kiryu goes to walk away when the original Pocket Circuit Fighter shows up, he's the boss of the whole Pocket Circuit company thing which is going really well now. New PCF and Old PCF talk about the former having new conviction and he mentions that Kiryu gave him advice which has Old PCF reminisce about him and bring out the one picture they used for Baka Mitai in Kiwami 1 and says Kiryu is his best friend and that he wants to race again some day Third is the ending Kiryu finally gets his name back and he gets to finally, finally, finally reunite with Haruka after 8 years. He's also chosen to fight the cancer instead of giving in to death after years and years of not actually caring about his own life.

Yakuza/LaD is so ****ing good at making you cry it's insane.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok so I do wanna harp on this a bit because man what happened here. I can't remember anything about Galaxy's 2 story aside from Rosalina coming back cause they took her out the game for some reason. Ik it's a Mario game but man what a downgrade story wise.

But I also think Galaxy 1 is the better game overall so maybe I'm biased.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m not sure which game was the first to make me cry, but when thinking of or humming/singing certain songs from some games I do start to feel like tearing up (though I don’t actually cry, if any tears come out at all), like some emotion in my chest that can interrupt me a bit. Could be nostalgia, but the songs are emotional ones themselves.

Examples:

-Pollyanna, Eight Melodies and Bein’ Friends from Mother (whether it be the vocal songs from the Mother album or the Smash Bros. remixes). Maybe also Love Theme/Mom’s Home Town from Mother 3 and Smiles and Tears from EarthBound, perhaps Onett’s theme as well

-Super Paper Mario’s credits music

-Undertale’s “Undertale” music (the song that plays in New Home)

I can’t think of any others besides some nostalgic ones that make me feel some emotion, but perhaps not quite as much. Maybe Clock Town from Majora’s Mask, for example, or Lost Woods/Saria’s Song (I guess these would be mostly happy though, like some weird happy-sad mix which I guess is what nostalgia is). I think there was an unused and restored song from Pokêmon Red which also made me feel some emotion when I heard it on YouTube, I guess due to how it sounded.

Minecraft music of course also makes me feel some emotion sometimes, but I’m not sure if it’s ever made me cry xD. Of course, there’s no sad moments in the game (besides losing my stuff in lava >:’C), so it’d pretty much just be due to nostalgia.

Has anyone been seeing this little thing pop up in their recs lately?

I know Vinny apparently played a game featuring it but I never watched that VOD
I don’t think I’ve seen that specifically, but I have seen that “Car” creature in a couple or so short videos on Twitter. Whoever made it has their own account for it iirc. Seems slightly creepy but is just funny.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I’m not sure which game was the first to make me cry, but when thinking of or humming/singing certain songs from some games I do start to feel like tearing up (though I don’t actually cry, if any tears come out at all), like some emotion in my chest that can interrupt me a bit. Could be nostalgia, but the songs are emotional ones themselves.

Examples:

-Pollyanna, Eight Melodies and Bein’ Friends from Mother (whether it be the vocal songs from the Mother album or the Smash Bros. remixes). Maybe also Love Theme/Mom’s Home Town from Mother 3 and Smiles and Tears from EarthBound, perhaps Onett’s theme as well

-Super Paper Mario’s credits music

-Undertale’s “Undertale” music (the song that plays in New Home)

I can’t think of any others besides some nostalgic ones that make me feel some emotion, but perhaps not quite as much. Maybe Clock Town from Majora’s Mask, for example. I think there was an unused and restored song from Pokêmon Red which also made me feel some emotion when I heard it on YouTube, I guess due to how it sounded.

Minecraft music of course also makes me feel some emotion sometimes, but I’m not sure if it’s ever made me cry xD. Of course, there’s no sad moments in the game (besides losing my stuff in lava >:’C), so it’d pretty much just be due to nostalgia.

I don’t think I’ve seen that specifically, but I have seen that “Car” creature in a couple or so short videos on Twitter. Whoever made it has their own account for it iirc. Seems slightly creepy but is just funny.
From what I've seen

This Car thingie is somehow tied to that one FNF song that like, exploded recently since the creator of said song is the creator of Car, but that's all I know

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
List of games that have made me cry:

- None. Because I'm dead inside.

- Okay Hollow Knight got me pretty close. Because I'm dead inside.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The games that I remember making me cry are Nier Automata because I realized what was happening in Ending E which got me super emotional, Ace Attorney as a whole probably because I just started T blockers when I was replaying the entire series which made everything click better including Big Top Turnabout, though AAI2-4 made me weep the most, look forward to replaying it lmao. And finally, The House In Fata Morgana. That game was exactly what I needed when my depression hit a new peak, it's such a beautiful story and the final chapter just had me unable to do anything but sob because the writers of that game are expert emotional manipulators

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh another fantastic one is Asura's Wrath's true ending (which is dlc because Crapcom Era lmao).

Liam O'Brien's absolute best performance all around and his delivery in the ending is some of the finest there is and holy **** it hits like Asura punched you. "My wrath... Is finally... Gone..." He says as the main theme of the game plays and Asura's eyes go back to normal just before he dies having killed God. ****ing phenomenal, would cry again.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don’t even know if any of those Hoyoverse games are good.

I was talking to this girl once and she mentioned she loved Genshin. Is it a good game or does she have bad taste?
Its basically a botw clone with heavy gacha mechanics to progress in the game! So Both?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Games that made me cry?

One of the Ace Attorney games. Not gonna say which one cause people will make fun of me

Sonic Frontiers. The cutscene where Tails tells Sonic he wants to go his own path and Sonic gives his blessing made me ugly cry because I'm super attached to their character dynamic

Pokémon Sun and Moon's ending, Ultra ruined it

That's all I can think of right now. Media rarely makes me cry. Even Undertale didn't make me cry even though it's one of my favorite games of all time

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
One of the Ace Attorney games. Not gonna say which one cause people will make fun of me
Awww come on, we won't judge. Not out loud anyway, I admitted Big Top got me emptional on my replay

also Pink Yoshi made me check out Lost World again and uhhh
Screenshot_2024-07-15-11-18-51-948_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_2024-07-15-11-19-08-973_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

yeesh, these lines are pretty awful cause of Mike Pollock a few days ago

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Games that made me cry?

deep despairing sigh

I cried at the Sonic Forces ending theme.

Awww come on, we won't judge. Not out loud anyway, I admitted Big Top got me emptional on my replay

also Pink Yoshi made me check out Lost World again and uhhh
View attachment 392453View attachment 392454

yeesh, these lines are pretty awful cause of Mike Pollock a few days ago
I did remember Mike Pollock did something bad recently but I seem to have forgotten. Either way it's truly unfortunate cuz Lost World is one of Eggman's best appearances. "I'm a complicated guy"

But I hope you enjoy what you're seeing from SLW. Peak Sonic as far as I'm concerned

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Games that made me cry?

deep despairing sigh

I cried at the Sonic Forces ending theme.

I did remember Mike Pollock did something bad recently but I seem to have forgotten. Either way it's truly unfortunate cuz Lost World is one of Eggman's best appearances. "I'm a complicated guy"

But I hope you enjoy what you're seeing from SLW. Peak Sonic as far as I'm concerned
He called the deaths of countless Palestinians for nearly a century collateral damage again

Oh I'm afraid my opinion has lessened lmao. Except for the Zelda DLC, that **** was gorgeous to look at. For the first part anyway

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
He called the deaths of countless Palestinians for nearly a century collateral damage again

Oh I'm afraid my opinion has lessened lmao. Except for the Zelda DLC, that **** was gorgeous to look at. For the first part anyway
Oh my god...damn. That's AWFUL. Yeah, screw that guy.

And no worries. Sonic Lost World is such a different, in-its-own-element Sonic game that it's bound to not appeal to all tastes. Lots of people probably vibe with the boost gameplay a LOT more.

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
I don't cry at games too easily which made the drama club confidant and nanoko in Persona 4 surprise me a lot - I was ****ing bawling when the drama club girls deadbeat dad passed on

Also, me when Persona 3 hits me with the

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I cried the first time I finished Kingdom Hearts II.

Drawn To Life the Next Chapter also made me cry.

On the other side of the emotional spectrum, Jak 3 made me cry from laughing so much with the reveal of the precursors.

I feel like there are other games but none come to mind.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Unemployed
Man this sucks I wanna do something
Gets a job
Man this sucks I wanna stay home doing nothing

Such is the way of things :drshrug:
Its fun being an adult, isnt it

Why not? Some **** in Ace Attorney hits hard. THe Great Ace Attorny for example, there is a part, which is a spoiler, that hit WAY to hard for.me

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Zeena: exists
Sonic fans who don't hate her: SHE'S THICC!!! MOMMY!!! draws her with huge badonkadonks
Me, an intellectual: She's baby. All she wants is to just vibe and do her fashionable thing. I feel like if not for the whole Sonic, Eggman thing causing chaos she'd be the nicest of the D6 by far, just this sweet gal who loves fashion and make-up and is a really sweet friend to those she cares about when a hedgehog isn't messing around on her world causing problems. She deserves better.

I'm talking entirely about Games-verse Zeena rather than IDW-verse Zeena. THAT Zeena is a maniac lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Zeena: exists
Sonic fans who don't hate her: SHE'S THICC!!! MOMMY!!! draws her with huge badonkadonks
Me, an intellectual: She's baby. All she wants is to just vibe and do her fashionable thing. I feel like if not for the whole Sonic, Eggman thing causing chaos she'd be the nicest of the D6 by far, just this sweet gal who loves fashion and make-up and is a really sweet friend to those she cares about when a hedgehog isn't messing around on her world causing problems. She deserves better.

I'm talking entirely about Games-verse Zeena rather than IDW-verse Zeena. THAT Zeena is a maniac lol
I don't want to be mean but she would be Regina George
Nah, I know Dormammu when I see him
Oh no Dormammu is gonna burn us with his fire!

The fire:

Top Bottom