• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like I probably liked Team Yell more if they were more antagonistic.

And I would have liked Team Star a lot more if they were depicted more as sympathetic bad guys instead of the game going into apologetics for what was essentially a gang.

Heck maybe I'd even like Rose more if it turned out the whole energy crisis thing was a cover up for a world domination scheme that could've explained why he was so impatient.

I'd say that I think they're scared to make antagonists who are actually villains but then the made (Teal Mask)The Loyal Three who were implied to have killed a man so I don't even know anymore.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That YouTuber (or whatever she is) Sssniperwolf is casually doxxing other content creators for wanting to be credited in her videos…

why tho? It’d be better and more normal to just give them their credit

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’d really like it if the next evil team was a villainous organization again. Getting tired of these punks who are just misunderstood kids.

Which is ironic, because ten years ago the fandom was sick of evil organizations and wanted more small-time thugs. Funny how things change.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Nothing really spooky month related but i drew some zelda stuff im nostalgic for!
For example i drew the noble Sword (i made it yellow cause the sprite is yellow!
A Bubble, a Classic non one eye Bat, a Buzz Blob, A Tree Stump and whos that behind the stump?
also some items i guess!
1697299635739.jpeg

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really hope they never do a pokemon region based on either Germany or the American South because there are some... things... that it would simultaneously feel weird if they acknowledged and also weird if they didn't acknowledge.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pokemon fans: POP QUIZ!

What is Marnie's defining personality?
Friendly stoicism.

The sad thing is that Team Yell was only Sword/Shield's second worse evil team. At least people remember them.

Unlike Macro Cosmos, who just exist to drag the game's pace to a screeching halt for a game of hide-and-seek.
This. They're not an even an evil team or "fake" evil team.

Oleana just ordered them to stall a bunch of kids for what she probably thought was some kind of grand scheme that Rose was cooking up. Rose didn't even ask her to sick her Pokemon or a bunch of his employees on them, making the whole gauntlet fight feel even less dramatic or impactful.

I’d really like it if the next evil team was a villainous organization again. Getting tired of these punks who are just misunderstood kids.

Which is ironic, because ten years ago the fandom was sick of evil organizations and wanted more small-time thugs. Funny how things change.
I think the lesson here is, if you try the same thing too many times without changing it up, a lot of people are either gonna get tired of more of the same, or your later ideas for them just might not turn out as good as the first few time(s) you tried it.

Team Skull was not only a change of pace, but was also done incredibly well. Team Yell felt like an attempt to replicate their success, but the fact that all they did was annoy the player and Hop, not even serving as tragic villains of any kind, made them fall flat.

I can't speak for Team Star, as I'm not that far into ScarVio's campaign yet.

They’re never gonna top Team Skull so they need to stop trying :101:
Also this. Team Skull ultimately can't be beaten.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I really hope they never do a pokemon region based on either Germany or the American South because there are some... things... that it would simultaneously feel weird if they acknowledged and also weird if they didn't acknowledge.
As a german i have to heavily disagree! like 90% of german rep in media is either A Strereo type, The Evil Dudes or Both!
It would be fun to see a rep of modern GErmany (Which is a very nice Country BTW)
Again im literally owning my semi Nice Live to germans social systems!

Also i mean America is literally founded by violently taking life and that wasnt a topic in unova so i dunno!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, we had an America region without any reference to the violence against indigenous peoples or the Civil Rights movement. Several Japan regions without any reference to WW2.

Countries are more than just the bad parts of their history, Y’know.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, we had an America region without any reference to the violence against indigenous peoples or the Civil Rights movement. Several Japan regions without any reference to WW2.

Countries are more than just the bad parts of their history, Y’know.
OK but like.... these are pretty big things. I actually don't know how to feel about Unova in retrospect when I think about it through that lens and the fact that they've never acknowledged their own problematic history in games based on their own home country very heavily feels... wrong... we all have sins and we can't ignore them, lest we repeat those mistakes and end up in a worse world.

osby

Smash Obsessed
OK but like.... these are pretty big things. I actually don't know how to feel about Unova in retrospect when I think about it through that lens and the fact that they've never acknowledged their own problematic history in games based on their own home country very heavily feels... wrong... we all have sins and we can't ignore them, lest we repeat those mistakes and end up in a worse world.
You know Pokemon is not set in the real world, right?

Noipoi

Howdy!
IMG_6670.jpeg

It’s a fictional world with electric mice and dragons that shoot their babies like missiles.

In-universe, their history is different than ours. They didn’t have the same struggles we did.

In reality, I don’t want a ****in lecture on slavery in my Pokémon game dude. I play games like this to get away from the ugliness of reality. And where would it go? Do they stop you after your fifth badge to make sure you understand the Trail of Tears?

It’s a kids game, for children to have fun and pretend that they have magical pets. And don’t get me wrong, kids should be educated on this stuff. But this is not the time or place.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So exploring or referencing German culture or the very fact that the country exists is bad because of everything about WW2? Something that ended well over 70 years ago?

Ever heard of moving forward with life?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 379228

It’s a fictional world with electric mice and dragons that shoot their babies like missiles.

In-universe, their history is different than ours. They didn’t have the same struggles we did.

In reality, I don’t want a ****in lecture on slavery in my Pokémon game dude. I play games like this to get away from the ugliness of reality. And where would it go? Do they stop you after your fifth badge to make sure you understand the Trail of Tears?

It’s a kids game, for children to have fun and pretend that they have magical pets. And don’t get me wrong, kids should be educated on this stuff. But this is not the time or place.
If they're gonna keep basing the regions, events, people, and even the fictional monsters themselves heavily on real world culture and events then kind of yeah... they're gonna have to find a way to acknowledge the ugly bits in an effective way and not just pretend everything is happy. If they wanted to avoid this entirely then maybe they never should have gone down the route of basing things on reality to begin with.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If they're gonna keep basing the regions, events, people, and even the fictional monsters themselves heavily on real world culture and events then kind of yeah... they're gonna have to find a way to acknowledge the ugly bits in an effective way and not just pretend everything is happy. If they wanted to avoid this entirely then maybe they never should have gone down the route of basing things on reality to begin with.
Well they do mention the in-universe wars and violence and inequalities that did take place in their world's history.

Y'know, because they had a different history. Because it's an alternate take on Earth.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
In Black and White 3, Cheren loses his Gym due to him saying several slurs to Lenora. Cheren's response is as follows:

"But Ryme uses the word, why can't I? My freedom of speech, I thought this was Unova. The Wokémob is disabling me!"

He then proceeds to start a podcast that can be seen throught the route tunnels. He's also the villian.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why are you fine with the Pokemon world having vastly different cultures, ecology, geography, technology and even cosmology from our world but you draw the line at the lack of slavery and genocide?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why are you fine with the Pokemon world having vastly different cultures, ecology, geography, technology and even cosmology from our world but you draw the line at the lack of slavery and genocide?
everything in pokemon is based on something from the real world. they need to stop ignoring the bad things if they're taking that route.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Again, are we really trusting GameFreak to handle that well?

Remember, it took this company over a decade to discover black people, then even longer to actually make them playable, and then REMOVED the option for no reason, and then another decade to even get afrotextured hairstyles.

Like let's be real here.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
everything in pokemon is based on something from the real world. they need to stop ignoring the bad things if they're taking that route.
Okay, fine.

GameFreak is now going to take some time away from the fun adventure to talk to you, the player, about real world atrocities.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Except maybe they don't?

Every country has done absolutely some horrific things at some point in history. You don't see Pokemon making huge references (if any) about the brutalities or the gradual pushing out of Native Americans from their former territories during the founding of the United States or literally anything about Japan's Unit 731, do you?

Just because the base a few things in reality doesn't mean they have to base literally everything in reality.

...Do you really want a Pokemon game to teach kids about stuff like the Holocaust, Snake?

And if not that, then would you really want horrible stuff from history to be the focus of a Pokemon game's setting or story?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In Pokemon Sun and Moon, you'll find a place called the Thrifty Megamart on one of the islands. It's full of all sorts of goods and NPCs seem to sing its praises. But one NPC comments wondering how it's able to get its prices so low...

The next island over, you'll find another Thrifty Megamart, but this time it's destroyed. Locals will tell you it was destroyed by Tapu Bulu in a fit of rage.

The messaging here is kind of subtle but I'm sure you can figure out what's being said.
The message is that Tapu Bulu is a filthy communist. /j

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Even then, Pokemon has had some messaging throughiut their games.

• Mafia is evil
  • Mafia is evil and also depressed
  • Take care of the planet to prevent catastrophic events
  • You can't turn back time and space. Live in the now.
  • Slavery is bad and everyone should have a choice in what they do
  • Genocide is bad.
  • Billionare Class is evil and uses the impovershed to achieve their means
  • Billionare Class is evil 2 but we ****ed up the messaging
  • The school system's broken and fails to protect children. Also take care of your kids instead of getting yourself killed.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Every country has done absolutely some horrific things at some point in history. You don't see Pokemon making huge references (if any) about the brutalities or the gradual pushing out of Native Americans from their former territories during the founding of the United States or literally anything about Japan's Unit 731, do you?
I assume that's what people have been wanting when they've been asking for a "Legends Unova" game.

...Do you really want a Pokemon game to teach kids about stuff like the Holocaust, Snake?

And if not that, then would you really want horrible stuff from history to be the focus of a Pokemon game's setting or story?
I don't know how they could deliberately based a games setting on a place where the biggest atrocity in human history ever happened and then deliberatley choose to focus only on the chocolate, sauerkraut, lederhosen, and Flula. Same with the american south (only you have even less to distract you from the history of slavery since everything there is pretty much designed to remind people of it), and retrospectively Unova and the four Japanese regions. It feels like deliberate ignorance to explore those themes without acknowledging the pretty big elephant in the room.

Top Bottom