• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
There's more to countries and their culture than the tragedies that happened in them, and as much as these tragedies are important to remember and teach ppl about, paring their entire history down to those moments feels incredibly reductionist and borderline offensive.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I assume that's what people have been wanting when they've been asking for a "Legends Unova" game.

WHY?

I don't know how they could deliberately based a games setting on a place where the biggest atrocity in human history ever happened and then deliberatley choose to focus only on the chocolate, sauerkraut, lederhosen, and Flula. Same with the american south (only you have even less to distract you from the history of slavery since everything there is pretty much designed to remind people of it), and retrospectively Unova and the four Japanese regions. It feels like deliberate ignorance to explore those themes without acknowledging the pretty big elephant in the room.
I'll repeat what several others have been saying here:

Because it's not real life history.

Pokemon bases it's regions on real world countries and their culture. Not their history. Not everything about any of the Pokemon regions is 100% accurate to the real life one each one is based off of. Otherwise, you might as well just say they're the actual real life countries.

There's a reason for that. It's fictional. The regions of the Pokemon games do have similar cultures to real life cultures, but not fully identical ones. These regions have their own histories, not reflective of those in real life. And while the games have had more serious storylines and villains like Cyrus, Ghetsis and Lusamine which have tackled some serious subjects, Pokemon has never been the place for subjects that dark.

Pokemon games are meant to be about fun adventures and bonding with Pocket Monsters who can kick ass. Not a history lesson focused on reality's worst atrocities and crimes. And I don't think the franchise would be half as enjoyable or charming if they were.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
On a final note, doesn't Pokemon world basically have a post-scarcity economy?

Because that would solve a lot of problems in the modern world before they even became a big deal. Just saying.
The Pokémon world was always meant to be a little utopian, at least compared to the problems we face. Thanks to Pokémon we’ve made incredible advancements in technology and the like.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The Pokémon world was always meant to be a little utopian, at least compared to the problems we face. Thanks to Pokémon we’ve made incredible advancements in technology and the like.
Like all the lore behind all regions was that all conflicts were due to Pokemon and all resolutions are because of Pokemon. The regions are all based on real world locations but they intergrate Pokemon into history by... making up their own, and I will say they do a great job at that (aside from Galar...)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would watch a prequel of how Jack became the Pumpkin King.

I remember there was a GBA game taking place before the events of the movie.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I certainly think so. It gives me DHMIS vibes.

Just gonna leave this here if anyone wants to check it out.
SMG4, Meta Runners, Sunset Paradise, Murder Drones, and now Digital Circus…the Glitch squad never miss

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know, Kevin Afghani's rendition of Mario and Luigi sounds very similar to Charles Martinet's rendition, almost exactly the same. Almost. there's just a slight difference in pitch but otherwise i can barely tell the difference.

i think in most cases when replacing vo's, that's what they should go for, a close enough sound alike. looking at you, Crisis Core Reunion. FF7R i can somewhat forgive since the voice direction is better than CCR at least

StormC

Smash Hero
you know, Kevin Afghani's rendition of Mario and Luigi sounds very similar to Charles Martinet's rendition, almost exactly the same. Almost. there's just a slight difference in pitch but otherwise i can barely tell the difference.

i think in most cases when replacing vo's, that's what they should go for, a close enough sound alike. looking at you, Crisis Core Reunion. FF7R i can somewhat forgive since the voice direction is better than CCR at least
It sounds closer to his earlier work in the N64/GameCube era, which makes sense cuz that was decades ago.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Really wish one of the people I follow online and creator of the iconic Transfem Sonic mod wasn't getting really angry at people about the bugs in Sonic Superstars. She's usually pretty chill but now, people must be being really mean to her for her to be throwing the tantrum she's throwing. Why can't people just wait for the game to come out and then be happy to play the new game once it's out.

I really want Sonic Superstars to be a win. I can't bare it if this is another game everyone else hates because I know I'm gonna end up liking it.

Shroob

Sup?
Really wish one of the people I follow online and creator of the iconic Transfem Sonic mod wasn't getting really angry at people about the bugs in Sonic Superstars. She's usually pretty chill but now, people must be being really mean to her for her to be throwing the tantrum she's throwing. Why can't people just wait for the game to come out and then be happy to play the new game once it's out.

I really want Sonic Superstars to be a win. I can't bare it if this is another game everyone else hates because I know I'm gonna end up liking it.
Snake, are we letting the public's perception of a funni game dictate our own emotions again?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
IMG_0429.jpeg

all the gaming acquisitions made within the past 5 years…yet Nintendo has still made more games yearly than both Sony and Microsoft have

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not sure if this is considered a hot take, but I don't really like Dedede's redesign for Return to Dreamland Deluxe and Forgotten Land that much.

It feels like more of a downgrade design-wise, like it's trying to emulate his appearance from the Crystal Shards, just with higher resolution. And it makes him look considerably less expressive, more goofy, and a little too bird-like. It's mostly a nitpick, but I'm honestly really hoping they go back to what's more or less his original design (you can't tell me that either the current design nor Kirby 64 Dedede look more like his original sprites or artwork than his later 3D models or anime design do) design for future games.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So far I've played Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, and the first Magical Quest game.

Castle of Illusion feels like the tie in to the lost Disney Afternoon show we never got. World of Illusion feels like a tie in to everything we did get (down to Pete being the villain). Magical Quest 1 is a bit more creative but it’s still just ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom