• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
With Super Mario Bros. Wonder on the horizon, here's the level count in the series:

Super Mario Bros. - 32
Super Mario Bros. Special - 32
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels - 52
Super Mario Bros. 2 - 20
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 90 (+38 in GBA version)
Super Mario Land - 12
Super Mario World - 73
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 32
New Super Mario Bros. - 85
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 84
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 85 (+30 DLC)
New Super Mario Bros. U - 82
New Super Luigi U - 82

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which character do you think it'll be?

I'm thinking of either Balloon Boy or the Puppet themselves.
It’s obviously Matthew Patrick

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The DLC was enjoyable. I really liked Mustard and Peony. I still think Calyrex is... pretty ugly, but it was kinda cute at the same time.

Base game though?

I liked SwSH, thought the DLC was mediocre, and love my team to death. I completed the entire pokedex even though the process of doing that was... exhausting... Only mainline game I played all the way through (unless you count Let's Go or Legends Arceus) because I don't want to go back to random encounters and ScaVio seams too... broken... I'll always hold Shield in a special place. Even if Rillaboom is a traitor to everyone and the story is kinda ********.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We need more licensed platformers based on current and legacy cartoon characters. Can that just be a thing companies do again instead of them doing mobile phone rpgs and endless runners?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We need more licensed platformers based on current and legacy cartoon characters. Can that just be a thing companies do again instead of them doing mobile phone rpgs and endless runners?
I agree we need more, but I feel the market has shifted so much that not being mobile esque effectively kills ideas simply because they aren’t well, mobile (or Fortnite collabs)

Though in all honesty, some cartoons don’t need to be platformers. Example: Adventure Time I think works better as a Zelda style top down game (like Secrets of the Nameless Kingdom)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I agree we need more, but I feel the market has shifted so much that not being mobile esque effectively kills ideas simply because they aren’t well, mobile (or Fortnite collabs)

Though in all honesty, some cartoons don’t need to be platformers. Example: Adventure Time I think works better as a Zelda style top down game (like Secrets of the Nameless Kingdom)
Fair assessment. But some would work really well and it would give the genre a nice boost outside of the indie market.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's time for Ice Climber in the Nintendo Game of the Week Thread.

The game isn't very good.
If Ice Climber has 1000 fans, I’m one of those fans.
If Ice Climber has 100 fans, I’m still one of those fans.
If Ice Climber has 1 fan, I’m that fan.
If Ice Climber has no fans, I don’t exist.

It’s good for the first couple of levels, I mainly like it just because I love the Ice Climbers in Smash tbh. The jump physics definitely suck past level 2, that and those dang moving clouds in the 3rd level. Ice Climber: Uprising when?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Remember. Everyone isn't tired of superheroes.

It's the MCU they're tired of.

***** GONNA BE WILD!!!! WHOO!!!!

Superhero fatigue my ***!!!!
To be fair, Invincible is also somewhat of a gorey superhero deconstruction.

Really wish DC got it's **** together and James Gunn didn't some in and rattle it's CU with bullets from his... James Gun.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be fair, Invincible is also somewhat of a gorey superhero deconstruction.
It's also being its own thing rather then copying the formula we normally see. That helps too.

That's been the problem. It's been the MCU, not superheroes as a whole. There's so much you can do with the genre in terms of direction and tone.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's so strange that as soon as these companies get bought by megaconglometates they actually end up making fewer games despite the opposite always being promised apon the acquisition.
very few exceptions within the list
Man I just LOVE monopolies

View attachment 379238
glad a company like Sega don’t wanna be involved in this game
Nintendo playing the long game, everyone else buys themselves out of business leaving Nintendo the sole survivor.
Sony should be real grateful that they can constantly survive off of Spider-Man (both games and movies) and 3rd parties games now that Microsoft owns Activision to gain more money off of everyone and stuff
TIL that Kevin Afghani is 26 years old

Charles Martinet was 36 when he got the job.
and he now has a Wikipedia page

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I am officially 'done' with Sword until I tackle the Battle Tower....

Thank ****. Now I can play a good Pokemon game.
I genuinely hate how dirty they did the UK.

There was so much potential for a cool UK based region and they **** it up royally,

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's also being its own thing rather then copying the formula we normally see. That helps too.

That's been the problem. It's been the MCU, not superheroes as a whole. There's so much you can do with the genre in terms of direction and tone.
It’s understandable to wanna just blame the MCU, but the DCEU (soon to be DCU) and SSU plays just as much blame if there has to be any. It really only involves the movies and shows from Marvel and DC within their cinematic universes (and in DC’s case, just a couple of their animated shows). Arguably the comics play a role in being a fault as well since a lot of the Marvel and DC stuff has been an issue.

Spider-Verse and Elseworlds media, as well as the video game genre, has been lucky in comparison for those 2 companies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Viacom owns him. Put him in Nick Brawl.
Paramount (since ViacomCBS isn’t the name anymore) likely doesn’t care about such things, and leaves that to Nickelodeon…who should also find a way to force that damn Mountain to give me iCarly 2021 back those greedy *****

Top Bottom