• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Well, since I still have some time before I go back from grandpa's and I am in the mood to write a lot of stuff, I will share with ya'll my review of the new Transformers movie which I saw yesterday with a partner from my high school days.

I have a lot of good memories of the Transformers franchise, from watching the Transformers Cybertron/Energon anime while collecting some of the figures with my cousins or watching the G1 cartoon on reruns to asking and getting for Christmas the awesome Transformers 1 figure of Optimus Prime with lights and sounds. So yeah, I could consider myself a Transformers fan, although the last movies besides Bumblebee have been really weak and problematic.

So, how does Rise Of The Beasts stand? Well, I personally quite enjoyed It. Maybe not as much as I was wishing to, but still a fun time.

There's a lot of stuff to like in the movie, Unicron and the Terrorcons are decent villains and seeing the former in live action for the first time was really badass. The CGI is really good for the most part and It makes the action scenes feel awesome and incredible. Arcee was also handled waaaay better than in the Bay movies and she had really cool scenes. The highlight for me were the Maximals, who all felt really accurate to the personalities from the Beast Wars cartoon and had some of the best scenes in the movie.

With all that said, there were two things which didn't sit right with me: the humour and some bits of Optimus Prime himself.

Starting with the former, I found the humour to be too juvenile at times, not as well balanced as in movies such as Night At The Museum 2 or Across The Spider-Verse which also aimed at wider audiences. At times It also felt as if they ruined the flow of some scenes, specially Bumblebee's death. I personally would have took out the jokes from said scenes and the movie would improve a lot.

As for Prime, we sadly are still with the killer from the Bay movies, although this time he has some way better scenes and there's some justification as to why he does kill the main villain. I hope that for the sequels they tone that down, not because I find It too violent but either because I am more a fan of the Optimus Prime from G1 and the Unicron anime trilogy who has a gentle side and fights for the well-being of the people surrounding him.

All in all, while flawed, I found a lot of stuff to enjoy on this movie. I would give It a 6.5/10, not great but still a fun time.

Also, I've been rewatching Night At The Museum 2 and I feel the movie's score should go higher to a 7/10.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, I just noticed; things like the last State of Play from Playstation, the last Xbox Showcase and recently, the Summer Games Fest have said to have sucked. That said, if I recall correctly, most of those games had realistic games. Aside from other possible reasons why they may have sucked, do you think realistic games, which apparently were a big thing, are losing their appeal? Just a thought.
If that was the case, games with realistic graphics wouldn't have sold well in the first place but a lot of them do.

It's more likely that the online spaces we, as Smash fans, tend to hang out in are more Nintendo-focused and tend to be distanced towards high-end graphics AAA titles made primarily for Xbox and PlayStation at best. There were legit critics you can make about those showcases but I'm sure different parts of the internet have other complaints (for example, maybe they thought they needed more realistic games lol).

Let's not forget that Nintendo Directs usually feature a lot of games with stylistic art directions and people love to complain about them, too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If that was the case, games with realistic graphics wouldn't have sold well in the first place but a lot of them do.

It's more likely that the online spaces we, as Smash fans, tend to hang out in are more Nintendo-focused and tend to be distanced towards high-end graphics AAA titles made primarily for Xbox and PlayStation at best. There were legit critics you can make about those showcases but I'm sure different parts of the internet have other complaints (for example, maybe they thought they needed more realistic games lol).

Let's not forget that Nintendo Directs usually feature a lot of games with stylistic art directions and people love to complain about them, too.
I don't think I was talking about Smash fans. I was talking about some others too.

As for the last part, people love to complain about everything, so there is that. I should have mentioned there were other complaints to be had, though.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I don't think we'll get a schedule for phase six anytime soon due to the writers guild strike.
Whilst I am aware that the WGA are still ongoing with their strike which had affected a number of films and tv shows especially with several of the MCU projects that were meant to be in pre-production from the Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, Wonder Man etc had to be postponed.

I still think there will be some form of news regarding to their future projects at San Diego Comic-con next month along with first trailers for their Disney+ shows such as the second season of Loki etc.

Also welcome back, @Jotadé!

On Elemental, I will say this:

Pixar is in their flop era. Not as in quality, but as in financially, they're losing money. Lightyear was a financial bomb, and before that their last couple of movies have been direct to D+, which is also in their flop era (losing millions of subs). They're losing tons of employees to layoffs which usually mean financial trouble, so if Elemental flops, Pixar might as well be done as a brand.
A part of it lines up with this:

It will certainly be a massive task for Bob Iger to steer Disney and its brands back in the right direction and to clean up the mess Chapek had caused.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I was talking about Smash fans. I was talking about some others too.

As for the last part, people love to complain about everything, so there is that. I should have mentioned there were other complaints to be had, though.
Sure but there is definitely a disconnect between different groups. For example, Nintendo fans seem to react a lot better to the new Prince of Persia announcement than PlayStations fans - presumably due to the art style and 2D nature of the game being more up to their alley. It's easy to imagine that the second group won't criticize a game for being too realistic.

I just think the bulk of the "too many realistic games" criticism (if there is any, in the first place) would come from people who already have a bias against them.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure but there is definitely a disconnect between different groups. For example, Nintendo fans seem to react a lot better to the new Prince of Persia announcement than PlayStations fans - presumably due to the art style and 2D nature of the game being more up to their alley. It's easy to imagine that the second group won't criticize a game for being too realistic.

I just think the bulk of the
What I guess I am trying to say, is that realistic games like FPS games have more or less dominated the gaming world before, though I could be wrong. Whether or not that is still true, it is surprising that those kinds of games did not save the events by themselves.

But still, it depends on the watcher, as you said, the type of fan, so there is that.

EDIT: I mean, colorful games also have made a comback in recent years, so there is also that.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What I guess I am trying to say, is that realistic games like FPS games have more or less dominated the gaming world before, though I could be wrong. Whether or not that is still true, it is surprising that those kinds of games did not save the events by themselves.

But still, it depends on the watcher, as you said, the type of fan, so there is that.

EDIT: I mean, colorful games also have made a comback in recent years, so there is also that.
I'm not sure if I agree that colorful, stylistic games ever went anywhere in the first place but it's not that surprising that putting a bunch of realistic games doesn't save a presentation when most of them do. That's not an important factor (though you might argue that there were no big graphical leaps that wow people).

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Whilst I am aware that the WGA are still ongoing with their strike which had affected a number of films and tv shows especially with several of the MCU projects that were meant to be in pre-production from the Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, Wonder Man etc had to be postponed.
Huh, I was under the impression that Thunderbolts was already in post, since it's supposed to come out next year. Really shows that Disney's prioritizing quantity over quality with Marvel these days.

I'm pretty much done with the MCU now and I specifically feel underwhelmed by the lineup for the Thunderbolts team that they showed, but I do feel bad for the people who have to make a film in such a short time.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not sure if I agree that colorful, stylistic games ever went anywhere in the first place but it's not that surprising that putting a bunch of realistic games doesn't save a presentation when most of them do. That's not an important factor (though you might argue that there were no big graphical leaps that wow people).
I know it is not an important factor. Anyway, it is getting hard to describe, but while the colorful games did not go anywhere, many seemed to be into at least FPS games in the 2010s and late 2000s. Then came games like the N. Sane Trilogy, and well, that is what I meant by comeback, basically.

Look, I do not want this to be any more complicated. I was just sharing my thoughts in my initial post on the matter, and @Jotadé already corrected me before you did, so let's just please end this now.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I know it is not an important factor. Anyway, it is getting hard to describe, but while the colorful games did not go anywhere, many seemed to be into at least FPS games in the 2010s and late 2000s. Then came games like the N. Sane Trilogy, and well, that is what I meant by comeback, basically.

Look, I do not want this to be any more complicated. I was just sharing my thoughts in my initial post on the matter, and @Jotadé already corrected me before you did, so please do not get on my case for this.
I don't think he's trying to attack you over this.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can safely say that Disney has a breach in their ship. With Nintendo, Universal Studios and Illumination waking them up, it will take a while to patch up the damages. IF they see what's causing it in the first place before its too late.
1000007788.jpg

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The stuff with Playstation is that a lot of the games were either CG trailers and/or not really as big of a deal as Sony made them out to be. SGF was just poorly paced garbage with Geoff Keighley being dumb as usual.

They had good games for sure, but Geoff wants you to sit through 1 hour and 45 minutes of trailers being interrupted by **** we already know (Nic Cage in DBD), overly long interviews with people coming on stage and just a slew of generic looking games that also run like ass.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The stuff with Playstation is that a lot of the games were either CG trailers and/or not really as big of a deal as Sony made them out to be. SGF was just poorly paced garbage with Geoff Keighley being dumb as usual.

They had good games for sure, but Geoff wants you to sit through 1 hour and 45 minutes of trailers being interrupted by **** we already know (Nic Cage in DBD), overly long interviews with people coming on stage and just a slew of generic looking games that also run like ass.
Yes, that is true. Honestly, though, when I made that initial post about those events, I was just trying to talk about the games themselves, at least for SGF, and yeah, I wasn't talking about, but not ruling out anything else.

D

Deleted member

One hour until the Xbox Showcase

Any hopes?
I don't know what to expect, although I would love to see a new Gears Of War or revival of an old IP as I've read from some people on Discord.

We could also get some cool news for multiplatform games.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Y’all heard about the 16 year old Smash player who was told to kill themselves by adults due to maining and winning with Steve? At this point Nintendo might be better off staying away from the competitive side of Smash Bros tbh

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Y’all heard about the 16 year old Smash player who was told to kill themselves by adults due to maining and winning with Steve? At this point Nintendo might be better off staying away from the competitive side of Smash Bros tbh
I stopped paying attention to the comp sceme after all the allegations, but this does not surprise me one bit.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Isn't the whole point of gaslighting the victim not realizing it's gaslighting?
Yeah it is
Wait
I think i need to change my wording
Wait
IMG_20210922_174720.jpg

Would you believe every word he said to you while he gaslit you or would you call BS at every word?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Surprised you didn't put Sea Of Thieves, as that one tends to be a common one at Xbox presentations.

I liked their Pirates Of The Caribbean collab, would love a Monkey Island one.
Literally the only reason I did not include Sea Of Thieves is because it could be filed under Game Update Galore and potentially Collab Content.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Didn't even know that was a thing.
For what it's worth, it's here.

I think I'll just look up recaps later; if past Xbox presentations around this time of year are any indication, there will likely only be one game that I'm interested in, maybe two at best. (plus, in an odd coincidence, I've been meaning to play Halo 1, so I'll do that instead)

Top Bottom