• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

osby

Smash Obsessed
So I watched Across the Spider-Verse. Despite having a few gripes with it, I still found it breathtaking. While the animation and music were just as good as the first movie and there were more strong character moments imo, I think the best thing about it was how it used different universes thematically:

Specifically, for both Gwen and Miles, leaving their universe symbolizes leaving their family behind.

Gwen's part is more obvious, as she runs away from her home universe. However, throughout the movie, we keep seeing glimpses that this didn't make her happy. She has to keep secrets from people she loves just like before and she's constantly split between doing her job and caring for others even though she doesn't see a difference between them. Running away didn't solve anything, no matter how far she goes from her universe, she can't leave her love for his father behind. When she leaves her universe at the end, Gwen doesn't follow anyone else. She knows what she has to do: saving Miles, rather than running away to him.

Miles, when we first see him, takes his family for granted. He loves them, for sure, but they're also something that he actively needs to get around for doing things he wants, like going to his dream college or superheroing. Being a part of the Spider society allows him to be with Gwen, sure, but it's also somewhere his family literally doesn't exist. Only after learning how Miguel sees his father as expandable that he realizes just how insignificant his whole world can be in the eyes of other people. It's just like moving away from your parents and learning that everything you valued before is just a small part of the world. In the end, when he tries to return, Miles is much more aware of what actually matters to him - who makes up his entire universe.

I think it's pretty amazing how well interwoven Miles and Gwen's character arcs are and how effectively the movie starts and ends through them. It's easy to use the multiverse concept as just a way to add funny shout-outs (which this movie had a lot of) but the writers went beyond that to give us a story that spans so many worlds but manages to keep it all centered around very human, small drama about feeling lost in a big world and connecting with others - quite fitting for two teenagers coming of age.

I can't wait to see how the next movie concludes the story, especially with Miles' confrontation with Prowler Miles.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Ten years ago today the Killer Instinct reboot game was announced. Still one of my most favorite fighting games of all time.

Now gimme Killer Instinct 4 at tomorrow's Xbox Showcase.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Spider-Verse, I know this is beating the dead horse but here's my take on Gwen:

She's definitely not not-queer. Until/if the canon disconfirms it, I'm headcanoning her as trans.

Like, a pride flag alone could have been just a sign of the creative team being cool but her arc with her father? Where she runs away from her father because he can't accept her identity that she'd been keeping a secret and refuses to even entertain the idea of listening to her side of the story, only to understand that Gwen is the still same person he loves all along? You'll be hard-pressed to find a less subtle metaphor about a coming out.

I'm cis so I may be missing some stuff Gwen being trans not only would disturb nothing but further adds to her depiction in the movie, imo.

osby

Smash Obsessed

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm so happy that Disney doesn't own the film rights to Spider-Man and probably won't anytime soon. We'd never get anything like Spider-Verse under them
or the gay romcom Venom duology (soon to become a trilogy) and the cinematic masterpiece known as Morbius

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Pixar's Elemental
View attachment 373177

Really wonder why nobody on the writing team seemed to realize that the movie's society being strongly opposed to race mixing might not be the best idea for a children's movie. Guess the people who decried Turning Red for being unrelatable have a movie for their ideal view of the world
I will say that I am glad people are waking up to how bad Zootopia's allegory was.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I saw Transformers: Rise of the Beasts today - it was all right, though the last half hour or so was great (at least as far as my inner child was concerned - Beast Wars, or "Beasties" as it was called in Canada, was the Transformers show that I grew up on).

A lot of the movie felt like it was made in the stretch from 2012-2015 and it was only released now (two characters seemed VERY similar to Ultron and Iron Man in terms of design, and they brought back everyone's favourite movie climax combo - the skybeam and the army of faceless CGI monsters), but I'd still say it's the third-best Transformers movie that I've seen. (Bumblebee's number one, and the original live action one is number 2 - I haven't seen the animated one that introduced Unicron) It was a breezy two hours, and there were only a few humans (as opposed to it being extremely human-focused to the detriment of the Transformers) who were generally well written.

Next week is The Flash, and I'm not sure how that's going to go. (I'm a little concerned about the sheer number of cameos that I've heard about, especially when it sounds like they're actively going out of their way to ignore the actors who actually played the Flash on TV, and I'm worried that it's going to feel like Space Jam: A New Legacy where they're more concerned with showing off what properties they have rather than actually making a movie) Still, I'm definitely up for seeing an older version of Michael Keaton's Batman; hopefully he's handled well. (I'm not sure how good DC's track record has been with bringing back older Batman actors - they got Kevin Conroy to play Bruce Wayne in the CW's version of Crisis On Infinite Earths, and by my understanding, it did not go well) At the very least, the return of this theme will be exciting:

Hopefully they bring this song back, at least - you'd think they would, but Space Jam: A New Legacy didn't have the Space Jam theme, and that felt like it should have been a no-brainer to include.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Frankly if these are what it takes to cockblock Disney from getting their filthy paws all over Spider-Verse I'll take it
tbf Venom slaps…either that or I’m blinded by the funny interactions between them and literally all of Mrs. Chen

on a different Spidey note, somebody tried and failed to replicate this funny Spider-Verse spoiler moment

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Pixar's Elemental
View attachment 373177

Really wonder why nobody on the writing team seemed to realize that the movie's society being strongly opposed to race mixing might not be the best idea for a children's movie. Guess the people who decried Turning Red for being unrelatable have a movie for their ideal view of the world
This movie as it is being advertised seems like "Romeo and Juliet, but because Corporate wanted zootopia money, we made it racist for some reason'

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The gaming convention I'm going to next month has posted the modern game tournaments info (Ultimate & Street Fighter 6) but still no info on the classic games tournaments.

They need to get onto that.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm good. I'm just gonna get my own I reckon since I keep getting hacked ones online.
Alright let me know if you need any of them! I got them in ultra balls. I also don’t need most of the other legends in this if you need them.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Pixar's Elemental

I haven't seen it but I'm guessing the plot of the movie is that the protagonists' relationship challenges social expectations and that its the people against their relationship in the wrong.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Top Bottom