• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also another big part of Mario RPG’s legacy was its impact on Peach’s smash moveset. A decent portion of it is derived directly from that game. Which furthered helped to push peach away from always being a damsel.

Yet another reason why having that rpg legacy in smash in a bigger way would be nice.

StormC

Smash Hero
SMRPG's briskness is its strength, I think. Later Mario RPGs often got bogged down in bactracking, minigames, and other stuff like that. But I can understand it seeming simple if you're coming to it for the first time decades later. That said, yes, the Geno hype is completely outsized to the actual character.

SMRPG used to be my favorite Mario RPG but I think the TTYD remake has closed the gap considerably. Not sure which I like better now.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Man I am ****ing awful at Bayonetta
Not sure if you mean the Bayonetta games (I'm guessing the first game) or the character in Smash Bros., but if it's the first one, they're pretty tough at first - I remember hearing "Oh, what a day!" a lot in my first playthrough as I got Stone awards. As you get upgrades (Bat Within helps a LOT), accessories, and a better understanding of the timing of enemy attacks, it gets easier.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Not sure if you mean the Bayonetta games (I'm guessing the first game) or the character in Smash Bros., but if it's the first one, they're pretty tough at first - I remember hearing "Oh, what a day!" a lot in my first playthrough as I got Stone awards. As you get upgrades (Bat Within helps a LOT), accessories, and a better understanding of the timing of enemy attacks, it gets easier.
I'm playing the first game and just finished going through the prologue and first chapter again (I made it to chapter 4 but chapter 2 and 3 kicked my ass)

I'm a bit better than I was before, I got a few upgrades to my moveset and I have a bit more health but I can't get the dodge timing right for some enemies. It's fun though and I do plan on sticking with it to the end

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A bunch of Fortnite skins (including all the Pirates of the Caribbean ones) got updated Lego styles.

One of them is my personal favorite so of course I’m sharing it here:

IMG_7469.jpeg

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Fortnite x Pirates of the Caribbean starts July 19.

Earlier the mini pass featuring Jack Sparrow was listed early. It is not available now though and no one can make any progress on it. Anyone who bought it when it was available may keep Jack Sparrow.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we ever get a new real Nintendo leaker again, it won't be by the end of this year.
Honestly like usual, there’s just going to be some random 4chan post that was right that we find after the fact.
This does support the theory it’s being made by ILCA. They picked up a fair bit of alpha dream workers, which would explain why it’s not all of them. If it is ILCA then people well realize they can make good and creative games, and that Pokemon or something else was holding the back with BDSP.
Daisy better show up in Brothership
Speaking of characters showing up:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
How about Gameboy/Toy style lego zelda set next! Imagine my boi in lego!
And the one i care much less about too!
Also Piggy ganon, and octorok and....
Honestly my only hope for zelda figures lies with lego! Considering how terrible jakks and sanei are at their job!

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Mario & Luigi Brothership does look really amazing, love the visual style they've gone with and the gameplay is very reminiscent of the past entries.

Hopefully if It sells well we get a remake of Partners In Time, I feel that one while being my favourite is in need of some QoL features and tweaks.

Already told this to Noipoi Noipoi , but this reveal alongside MvC2 releasing on modern consoles meant a lot to me because these were my childhood Mario RPG titles. Sure I became fond of Super Mario RPG when I was a teen and It officially released in Europe and I did enjoy what I played of Origami King... But Mario & Luigi is the spin-off series which I grew up with the most, so the fact It is returning does mean way more to me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Mario & Luigi Brothership does look really amazing, love the visual style they've gone with and the gameplay is very reminiscent of the past entries.

Hopefully if It sells well we get a remake of Partners In Time, I feel that one while being my favourite is in need of some QoL features and tweaks.

Already told this to Noipoi Noipoi , but this reveal alongside MvC2 releasing on modern consoles meant a lot to me because these were my childhood Mario RPG titles. Sure I became fond of Super Mario RPG when I was a teen and It officially released in Europe and I did enjoy what I played of Origami King... But Mario & Luigi is the spin-off series which I grew up with the most, so the fact It is returning does mean way more to me.
I just still can't believe that every direct since last June featured the revival of a Mario RPG series. It's incredible.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm still wondering if Starlow's going to reappear in Brothership as well.

She's been a series mainstay since her debut in Bowser's Inside Story, but at the same time, it's been a long time since we last got a brand new Mario & Luigi game at all.
Keep her luigi bullying ass gone

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It’s the same reason most 90s Nintendo games that have sort of fell to the wayside got so hyped up back in the day. Nostalgic older gamers mythologize it and make it the stuff of legend, and younger gamers who have no access to it take them at their word.

By the time they actually play it, it’s definitely fun, but it’s probably not blowing their minds like they thought it would.

Geno’s cool but I have no idea how he got so big in Smash speculation.
You’re mostly right except I did enjoy the game as much as I thought I would.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You’re mostly right except I did enjoy the game as much as I thought I would.
Well that’s radical. I’m not saying these are hard and fast rules, just explaining why some people end up having this reaction whenever old games get remakes or remasters.

If it really did resonate with you on that level, that’s great.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
So Mario RPG? It's fun, but even for Mario RPG standards it's surprisingly short and simple. The areas are tiny, not really much dungeon exploring, the fights are really fast if you know the proper strat, and the story is flying by fast. I get that it's meant to be a "baby's first RPG" but can the game like slow down a bit?

On the flipside... the game has a lot of charm and again, it's fun. And having 3 party members and a more tradional stat system in battle makes the game a little more strategic(?) than the other Mario RPGs.

But in terms of comparing it to other Mario RPGs.. I don't think this comes close to being the best like so many people said it was. I'm enjoying my time here but I'm gaining a better appreciation on how the other Mario RPGs built off it.

I also don't see the Geno hype. Good party member in battle tho.
It’s the same reason most 90s Nintendo games that have sort of fell to the wayside got so hyped up back in the day. Nostalgic older gamers mythologize it and make it the stuff of legend, and younger gamers who have no access to it take them at their word.

By the time they actually play it, it’s definitely fun, but it’s probably not blowing their minds like they thought it would.

Geno’s cool but I have no idea how he got so big in Smash speculation.
I do think that the remake does make the game extremely easier than the original, ngl.

Mostly with the new mechanic of hitting all enemies at once when you time your attacks right.
I agree with most of the arguments MightyP has doh, It is a good game... But It shows that It is the first Mario RPG and far from the best one when the Mario & Luigi titles for example exist.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I do think that the remake does make the game extremely easier than the original, ngl.

Mostly with the new mechanic of hitting all enemies at once when you time your attacks right.
I agree with most of the arguments MightyP has doh, It is a good game... But It shows that It is the first Mario RPG and far from the best one when the Mario & Luigi titles for example exist.
Tbh this may be the reason too. Even for Mario RPG standards this game is super easy, like I haven't hit a game over or had a difficult fight yet

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Tbh this may be the reason too. Even for Mario RPG standards this game is super easy, like I haven't hit a game over or had a difficult fight yet
Yeah, I feel the game was written and designed with the original SNES difficulty in mind. So by making It extremely easy, you have the problem of players rushing extremely fast throught the story. Even my little cousins beat the game in almost a whole day.

Don't get me wrong doh, It is still designed to be a "kids first RPG" in mind. The original was literally made because FF6 bombed in the USA and Square wanted to appeal to younger demographics.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
With no Paris game in sight, it's really looking like that the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series is truly dead.

And I'm not hopeful for a Mario/Sonic crossover fans really want happening either.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Finally leak season is back!

They’ve seemingly been posting and deleting things, so definitely fake.

But I am glad someone went out of their way to actually make images again. Those are always fun. There’s more on the account page too if interested.

Top Bottom