• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
its a good stage for Snake, but it also depends on your opponent, rather than asking if a stage is good for snake its better to ask if its good for snake against a certain char.

If Snake or even if ALL of the characters in brawl get grabbed by ICs, it's the end one stock out

-Ran

Smash Master
Ok, how about against DK?
Battlefield is horrible against DK. I've played against high level DK's enough [Cyphus] to know that stage is not fun. With Snake, you want to take DK to levels like FD, Halbred, Pictochat, Smashville, and PS1. You want to have plenty of room to avoid his exceedingly long range, and to set up traps. DK is a monster in the air with his Uair and Bair, and a stage like Battlefield gives him access to all of his tools.

Against Ice Climbers, you want to utilize stages that have transitions such as Delfino, PS1, or a stage that is constantly tilting such as Lylat. If you get grab, there's a chance that due to the transitional state of these stages that the grab will be forced out by the game. More so, you can time your approaches with the stage changes to make them barely punishable.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I've played alot of good dk's and imo battlefield can work, I mean sure I agree with what you said about his tools and stuff, but on the other hand if you plant a c4 on one of the side platforms and get dk off that side, all you have to do is ledgehog his upb to force him onto the stage, and then ledgejump and explode the c4. it makes for an excellent kill setup that is hard to avoid, if at all, for dk.

picto can be good as long as you mega camp him and remember that dk can do an ivicible upb across the stage on picto.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Umm.... camp alot. Space well, DI his fsmash forward, nikita when hes trying to recover, pivot grabs, etc.

What problems are you having with him?

How da eff do you play the Luigi matchup.
... Not really sure myself, but I'll just share my experiences. If you shield a SH Fair, angle your shield up to prevent getting shield poked by a Nair that is more than likely going to come your way. Even on a slightly deminshed shield, once Fair hits Nair can poke.

If you get hit by the DownB, DI out of it as soon as you can, so you avoid the final hit. Tech if you can, Luigi cannot really punish you if you DI out soon enough.

If you cannot pull nades due to Luigi spamming fire balls on the ground, I say don't try to pull nades, just PS them and walk to him.

Again, Utilt really beats out all of his aerial approaches. If you see them trying to space Bair a few times in a row, Utilt it.

DON'T GET SHOYRUKENED.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
spam ftilt, because of shield slide he wont be able to punish it if he shields it, it also clanks with fireballs so there's no need to even shield them, and I assume it will beat luigi cyclone too. ftilt will be your best friend here.

basically through use of ftilt you will force him to come at you through to air, which is even worse for weeg because utilt will **** all of his aerial approachs, and he cant really bait utilt at all because of his super slow air speed.

If ur next to him, dont spotdoge, shield or roll away, or u well get shoyrukened
good advice yes, but luigi shouldnt really even be next to you anyway.

.decoy

Smash Ace
also never get jab->upb 'd.
pretty simple to avoid, but it happens and sucks.
again though, like luke said, he shouldn't really be next to you. which means he can't jab you.

How safe is a grenade grab that is retreating? I've been getting tired of having problems reacting to people that want to try to dash grab me, and I think that if I feel they are about to do that, I should retreat with the grenade before grabing.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Not bad I guess, you should be able to grab him if he wiffs his grab, but keep in mind that pivot grabbing has moar range so its better.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Why do Snakes never use D-tilt for KOs?

It has the same start up as U-tilt and is usually always fresh. Has amazing range as well. To me, it seems like a pretty decent Nado breaker too. Since you are crouching and it can be used out of crouch, which is a good tactic against nado. It's pretty powerful as well.

As G-reg says, it's u-tilts little brother. So why doesn't it get used much at all? Just curious.

xMPDx

Smash Cadet
Why do Snakes never use D-tilt for KOs?

It has the same start up as U-tilt and is usually always fresh. Has amazing range as well. To me, it seems like a pretty decent Nado breaker too. Since you are crouching and it can be used out of crouch, which is a good tactic against nado. It's pretty powerful as well.

As G-reg says, it's u-tilts little brother. So why doesn't it get used much at all? Just curious.
Still its pretty good against some characters for edge guard.

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you don't do it from a crouch it can be very surprising. But I'd rather have a grenade there and a mortar soaring above me than dtilt camp the edge. >.>

.decoy

Smash Ace
i sometimes find it useful in the snake ditto to hit people cyphering just out of grab range.

also it seems deecent against falcos that phantasm low across the stage (utilt is easier as its faster, but dtilt works too).

its not bad oos because it comes out so fast, and i think it can be useful in some situations where people usually just mash ftilt.

Question

About Falco, I don't get it....... A lot of Falcos said that Falco can CAMP Snake when we can duck under lasers. They can't do anything about it right? And who has the true favor among Snake and Falco? Is it even? I don't see the problem with lasers just duck. But, can someone please summarize about the MU?

.decoy

Smash Ace
if you duck you can't really do much exceppt approach.
if you do that they will phantasm across the stage when you get close enough.
then you'll be down %, keep approaching.

some little things about the MU (there is a whole thread about it, soyeah. go there):

falco is stupidly easy to dthrow techchase. do it.

at kill %s, i like to utilt them out of their phantasm. a lot of falcos seem to feel invincible when doing it. it is true that you can only do it in certain situations (distance between startup and utilt is the factor there), but learn where that is and judge if it is an opportunity.

also i know the CG on falco and get immense satisfaction out of banning japes, them CP'ing FD and then me getting to CG them across the stage. fantastic really. then you can dthrow at the end and techchase.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I need to learn to do the grab release chaingrabs...

also if snake dtilts its really easy for falco to shieldgrab it, if you are going to craw approach use ftilt instead.

also falco can actually hit crouching snake with lasers if he does ledge hop lasers.

But they don't use it that much right?

If they try doing phantasm you can just time a jab or u-tilt right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom