• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Don't ftilt grab.

Also, mix up your running patterns with shielding in the middle of them to fake people out. It works wonders and more often than not, it lands you a free ftilt or grab.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Snake beats Olimar, just Dthrow techchase alot and he dies early and all that good stuff.

You can still approach on him even though his camp is gay.
you cant camp him and he pivot grabs every approach you have easily

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Don't ftilt grab.

Also, mix up your running patterns with shielding in the middle of them to fake people out. It works wonders and more often than not, it lands you a free ftilt or grab.
off a trip you can do a bunch of things

if it doesn't trip don't (this is at the guy askin questions, not you)

JOE!

Smash Hero
Exactly how big is the explosion for the C4 (DownB)?

I was up against Fatal, and his C4 was on the middle of the first arrow (from the center) on the right side of FD, Im about to grab the ledge as bowser (dunno if bowser's own size makes a difference), and he sets it off, which actually hits me, KOing me from there.

Does it really extend beyond the "explosion" that you see? o.O

IxxI

Smash Fence
Exactly how big is the explosion for the C4 (DownB)?

I was up against Fatal, and his C4 was on the middle of the first arrow (from the center) on the right side of FD, Im about to grab the ledge as bowser (dunno if bowser's own size makes a difference), and he sets it off, which actually hits me, KOing me from there.

Does it really extend beyond the "explosion" that you see? o.O
LOL.
Practically every attack extends beyond what it looks like.
Except maybe the mortar, haha.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Can someone explain the proper way to do dair techchase? Like should I FH or SH dair, and which characters does it work on?

-Ran

Smash Master
It's most effective on a platform, or when you have them tech chased at the edge of the map. It works the best on characters that have poor back rolls that get caught up another character, or they are simply massive hit boxes. In order to do it, you utilize a short hop. Really it's not something that you're going to use every stock, or even in every set. Continuing the chase, doing an f-Tilt, or a more reliable U-Tilt tends to be the better option.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I beg to differ Ran.

If your opponent does a normal getup, an attack getup, or either roll getup at the edge - you can basically guarantee yourself the dair (char. dependent... people like Spamus avoid this >:)

*Box Kills So Far: 4*
^ keeping track of this from now on.

:023:

-Ran

Smash Master
Lighter characters can SDI out of the attack at percentages that you would use it to kill with.

-Ran

Smash Master
And the quality of the opponent.

Though as I said before, since I rarely use Dair, it's a shock and won't get SDI'ed.

Princz15

Smash Apprentice
Snake dittos....

help im horrible at them. I learned pretty much all the matchups in the book but dittos... im so ****ing horrible at them...

What to do? i get 2 stocked by this other snake player all the time. after watching some rpay i noticed that he always reads my DI and pivot grabs me or wait for my roll when i dont even have a rolling habit but in snake dittos they come out so much more often... i know it sound weird but yeah

can someone help? i always have higher port i know that gives me slight advantage...

Princz15

Smash Apprentice
yea i was just going to say nvm i see the match up thread. Thanks alot black_heretic Syx

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I noticed that fighting a Kirby.

So there goes like what, 1/3 of the cast + 2-3 other chars?
I find that my opponents get-up attack about 75% of the time, do u know which characters it would work on from a get-up attack? I'm pretty sure it doesnt work on Ike since his sword sweep is pretty high

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I've never really tried it on a get up attack, but I'm pretty sure you'd want to shield the attack first and then immediately after he's hit your shield you'd short hop a dair. I think characters get a couple frames of invinsibility at the start of their get up attack (correct me if I'm wrong) or at least it seems like it.

SuSa

It depends how the character gets up.... Samus hits above her and so it won't work, while it will work on characters like Link who do swipes.

The extra invincibility from the startup attack (if even true) doesn't matter if they aren't hitting you out of dair.

Although shielding first IS smarter.

SuSa

Wasn't Snake's airdodge faster than all of his aerials?
Yes, but you cannot fastfall during an airdodge. Read below.

So is that the same as what to DI with?

I've been DI'ing with Dair forever.
Your misusing the term DI. Momentum Cancel is what you mean.

Bair is better for vertical knockback, air dodge for horizontal.

However I've noticed air dodging is easy to punish, because if you need to - you can't fastfall (eg: avoiding a spike/aerial)

Then I was right in thinking with the air dodge. I just don't have the reaction time to figure out, ok I'm going horizontal, I need to air dodge; or vertical, I should use the aerial and FF it. It's just easier for me to react to the Dair when need be. What situation would case you to be in range of someone's spike or aerial attack when momentum canceling? If your MCing then it's to safe your butt from getting KOed off screen, typically too far for someone to hit you out of the aerial, or do you mean when you both explode and receive the same trajectory, then they are close enough?

SuSa

Your given example is one of several scenarios.

They aren't all very likely, but they do happen. (Main one being projectiles, that bair sometimes cancels out)

I just prefer bair over airdodge.

One is also trajectory like Jigglypuff's dsmash (forward, but slightly down) where fastfalling will put you dangerously close to dying - but may help you survive another 4-5%

Projectile example:
Pit's arrows. If you airdodge, he just charges and waits for you to end. If you bair - he'll probably shoot it. (In most/some cases cancelling the bair) then shoot another. If you airdodge, you signed up for arrow spam to possible death...)

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Did you guys know that Snake can wavedash?

True facts

P.S. this isn't spam, go **** around on a platform and you'll find it

NNID
Budget_Player

True facts

Vids/proof plox

So... mines. I really fail at mines. Whenever an opponent dies, I go charge up and set a mine. The opponent shys away from it and it disappears before it can do me any good. Setting it in the match leads to me getting attacked, except in situations where I'd rather go mortar slide to limit my opponent's offstage options. >.<
What do I do? How do I use mines correctly?

SuSa

True facts

lolwut.

No seriously.... lolwut?

i thought dair was best when hit vertically... when did this change?

@heretic: ???
Dair was never better, I was simply misinformed. Dair "was better" because it automatically fastfalls. You can fastfall on frame 1 of any aerial though, so the only real important thing was how fast the move ended. And Bair ends the soonest, making it the best.

Vids/proof plox

So... mines. I really fail at mines. Whenever an opponent dies, I go charge up and set a mine. The opponent shys away from it and it disappears before it can do me any good. Setting it in the match leads to me getting attacked, except in situations where I'd rather go mortar slide to limit my opponent's offstage options. >.<
What do I do? How do I use mines correctly?
I sorta fail at them. I normally place them on platforms, or to punish a predicted recovery. (Fox/Falco/Wolf usually, a few others though) so mortarslide > let mortar go > put mine where you think they'll recover to (usually about a roll's distance from the edge) > continue edgeguarding like usual if they haven't recovered.

I learned that to punish Falco from a Japanese Snake Oo. lol

nevershootme

Smash Master
to use a mine properly, you set it and forget it (set it on platforms is useful), then you lure your opponent when you have the opening into the mine for the extra damage... it "disappears" cuz the camera is off screen, the mine also disappears if you die before 25 second timer pops and it fades away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom