• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter how long exactly ~3 is a good enough indicator Unless someone wants to do frame data for an explosion of a grenade. All you really need to know is that if you press the "Special" button and a short while later the screen is lit up with BOOM!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Check again, just to be sure.

anyways, I was wondering.. do any of you like to run up and spot dodge as an approach? I don't, but I saw Ally doing it some vs M2K and was wondering if it is actually viable.. I much prefer running shield, but IDK.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
someone should make a thread listing all the characters and the stages to cp/ban/strike when facing them tht way snake players could know a thing or 2 about their opponent.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
someone should make a thread listing all the characters and the stages to cp/ban/strike when facing them tht way snake players could know a thing or 2 about their opponent.
I tried that. (Stage Discussion) but it failed - was too much work for me.

However just a simple list:

Character - Counterpicks \ Ban

That wouldn't be to hard, but people would need to discuss and prove their points.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
as a whole, the Snake boards suck for big projects like that, we don't have a complete matchup thread, we have a tiny video thread, and our most active threads that aren't the Q&A are about Ally/other top players

as nice as it would be to have a character stage ban/CP list, I doubt any of us care enough to go through the large amount of work required to do it

SuSa

Or if we did - it'd all be 1-2 people.

We need to be more of a family...all in favor of a Social thread - say aye?

Apparently Social threads are now being allowed so long as they follow certain rules (which I will copy-pasta and enforce).....

I feel getting closer to each other (lol) my spark some interest in helping each other out as a community of knowledge, rather then "hey guys did you know (half end up knowing, half end up going OH COOL!)"

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
we have like 6 frequent posters and then a few randoms here and there and then the people who only come on to talk about snake pros

but a social thread would probably lead to a few laughs so aye

Nic64

Smash Lord
hay guys did you know that snake's tilts have invisible hit boxes and are way overpowered?

and yeah maybe a social thread may help keep interest in this board, I forget to come here very often because there's usually not that much discussion going on here...the deadness of the board leads to it being more dead ._. and I was just wondering yesterday what had happened to the stage discussion thread lol

Nic64

Smash Lord
I still haven't played MGS4, no PS3 yet, I just watched all of it on youtube <_<

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
We already know how to do it - and it was found by Sheiks ages ago.

im so sorry for asking the question that was answered bellow me, i got ADHD. I would love a social thread i would love to disques strategy and things with you guys and get to now each other.Sounds good to me! I would love someone to explain some of these thing in a way for me to understand or a vid, like changing momentum. Thanks guys an good work active snakes !

Also here is a vid of me plying like 8 months ago i was playing snake for two days before thise,i have never played a samus on bral before xyro. And xyro like a top samus player so yeah lol.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmSSnN-1rcI

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
I have a general consensus question. Who here has tap jump on/off? What's the best option for snake?

I'm sure this question has been asked countless times before but I just wanna know whats good for my snake by hearing other peoples opinions.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
In favor of a social thread. I lurk here more than I post. I've never been to a legit tourney due to transportations, so I feel as though I have no authority to give my opinion. That and I know I'm not that experienced - matchups. I've given up on the AiB Snake forums. Hopefully there will be more activity in my area to give me experience.

RATED

Smash Lord
I know there's a matchup thread but how do u guys deal with olimars, peach and toon link? those are the 3 are the most hard to me to deal. I do good against ddds but I can't deal with those.

SuSa

Do nothing but grenades/ftilt/utilt vs Peach. Utilt her aerial approaches, ftilt (to cancel) her turnips and to stop her ground approaches, and use grenades wisely to force an approach.

It becomes extremely hard on the Peach if you do so.

TL:

TL vs Snake is... strange.. if you can powershield and avoid the spam enough - you'll win. If you can't, you're going to lose. So learn to powershield.

For Olimar:

I can't beat Olimar if I can't outcamp him. So I'd be bad to give advice on this matchup. <_<

RATED

Smash Lord
Do nothing but grenades/ftilt/utilt vs Peach. Utilt her aerial approaches, ftilt (to cancel) her turnips and to stop her ground approaches, and use grenades wisely to force an approach.

It becomes extremely hard on the Peach if you do so.

TL:

TL vs Snake is... strange.. if you can powershield and avoid the spam enough - you'll win. If you can't, you're going to lose. So learn to powershield.

For Olimar:

I can't beat Olimar if I can't outcamp him. So I'd be bad to give advice on this matchup. <_<
thanks for the advice , I will be looking forward and I will be trying to find info about the Snake vs Olimar matchup. so If I found something useful I post here to help u " Susa" btw ur nick in spanish sounds very weird :)

Nic64

Smash Lord
this is 100% regurgitation, I don't have any good IRL experience against olimar(and the matchup is just ******** online), but here are some things that I've heard

olimar's grab doesn't have armor like other grabs, you can ftilt it and outprioritize it/clank with it like it was a normal attack

olimar's tech roll is retardedly awful, if you can recognize his get up attack well you can basically kill him with one grab(good luck getting it lmao)

from what I've heard, olimar supposedly can't really camp snake, you can DACUS through his spam and approach while he's still in the air(and if he's not short hop tossing his pikmin you'll probably outcamp him). this...goes pretty contrary to my experience but maybe I'm doing it wrong

if you can knock him off the ledge lay a mine or drop a nade and hog, if he's in position to up B above you then he has to get hit by the explosion

all things considered I still think olimar is probably worse than DDD but like I said, I need more experience...

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Screw the dtech chases against olimar. You have to try for gimps. When he's doing his stupid hop throws of pikmin, rush and grab him. Go for forward and back throws. As soon as you throw kill his pikmin before he can downb to recover them so his tether will be shorter. And then either bair or nikita to get him farther from the stage.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Quick question before I'm off for a while,

What's the correct way to pseudo-stick/B-stick Snake's 'nades, C4?
Copied from the very first post of this forum. Please search the thread and forum first please. If you have a bit of trouble with the C4 b-reversal - I tend to do a hadouken motion. It works okay for me...
V
"How do I wavebounce/pseudo b-stick/change my momentum with grenades/c4?
When moving in the air, pull a grenade/drop c4 and immediately after tap the joystick in the direction of snake's back.

*If done right, it will completely change snake's momentum to where he's moving in the opposite direction with the same speed."

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Thx, for the notice, even reading through the five pages didn't work at all if I misread the first post, funny how I tried not to make that error.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
Ehh, I'm a little scared to ask for fear of getting my question shot down, but here goes:
What would you suggest to someone who's trying to pick up and possibly main Snake?
I've got the basics down. Mortarsliding, grenade-countering, etc. I even read the whole "Into The Fray" Snake guide.
I just can't seem to win a match with him, though... I'm trying to get good with him, but I just don't know where to start.

gallax

Smash Hero
my advice would be the following:

1.) practice practice and practice
2.) learn to ftilt in any situation.
3.) learn to SH nair
4.) learn how to use grenades effectively and most of their tricks
5.) learn to jab and jab combo and jab>grab

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, galax1117!

So... More nairs, ftilts, and nades?
Awright, online here I come!
Giggity.
Now to find a 1v1 opponent...

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
you can't SH nair, only FH or DJ nair

jab isn't guaranteed on most characters, use jab -> ftilt/grab instead

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
you can't SH nair, only FH or DJ nair

jab isn't guaranteed on most characters, use jab -> ftilt/grab instead
Ahh yes, that explains why I was getting beat up so much trying to SH nair...
ftilt then grab? Okay, got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom