• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vids/proof plox

So... mines. I really fail at mines. Whenever an opponent dies, I go charge up and set a mine. The opponent shys away from it and it disappears before it can do me any good. Setting it in the match leads to me getting attacked, except in situations where I'd rather go mortar slide to limit my opponent's offstage options. >.<
What do I do? How do I use mines correctly?
Mines don't always have to hit the target. Simply having it there will limit people's options by making them wary of it. A mine between you and the opponent can stall the match a bit giving you time to relax a bit and try some nade camping.

Consider placement of the mines. Near the edge and platforms are good options.

For the most part just know where you place them and try to play around them.

I think Susa has a vid or thread on mines somewhere... I would be surprised if he didn't have anything on mines.

Stage thread (outdated) and my Snake Video Guides (mostly outdated and need to be re-done one of these days. More organized, better editing, etc.)
I think all those videos you made still have Havokk references, but I wouldn't call it outdated xD

What problems did you run into with the stage thread? I know it hasn't been updated in a long time.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I use my C4 aggressively far more then defensively. It seems to work. lol

@Crystal

Couldn't be bothered to update it anymore, discussion was relatively slow, and making the pictures was getting annoying.

Also new things have been found, some things have been proven misinformed (How to DI), and others aren't "entirely" true. So I'd call them outdated. Still useful, just outdated.

C4's to me are more of a timing purpose to fool the opponent and apply pressure to avoid the area if u can.

what's worthy to use on C4 in early percent is to plant on platform, toss them into the area and detonate,
Also they are extremely useful when you are offstage occasionally. Person is on stage and you use the C4 offstage in recovery and there goes the flying steak for a KO. Right Susa :laugh:

SuSa

I blame WiiFail for that.

I inputted a jump and I stood there.... -_-

\john

Also you stuck me once and I didn't think it stuck. Just thought the noise went off (I do this more often now to "fake lay" a c4 on stages where it's hard to see anyways. Makes them avoid the area when nothing is there. Then when I can I SH drop a c4 and hope they don't notice. XD then they avoid one area when it's in another area.)

I blame WiiFail for that.

I inputted a jump and I stood there.

\john
Either way, C4 kills are extremely entertaining when the opposition is at high percents. 'Now' > screaming a half a second later in a star KO.

I had more wiifails then you did. Offstage surprise and aerial input and that with snake = death. Early death.

napZzz

Smash Hero
theres only a few really good snakes imo to judge from each region aside from voice. But *** snaek doesn't yell nao! thats the best part about snake :(

Nic64

Smash Lord
I think I've only seen one japanese snake game, it was a ditto, and they literally nade camped each other to death, I think they may have used tilts 2-3 times the entire game but it was almost all explosives o_O

oh, I saw another one vs MK with the same thing, no utilt kills, all grenades, WTF

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I think I've only seen one japanese snake game, it was a ditto, and they literally nade camped each other to death, I think they may have used tilts 2-3 times the entire game but it was almost all explosives o_O

oh, I saw another one vs MK with the same thing, no utilt kills, all grenades, WTF
I don't think it was this one was it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GerrzdVWjDo

Cause that match was sweeeett. When your in a ditto match and your moves cancels each other out, it's not about who can spam the next tilt faster. It's about who has better nade skills lol

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Why do people keep thinking that nades are useful in dittos? Nades. Don't. Work. In. Snake. Dittos.

Of course, throwing the situational nade here and there works, but nade camping or relying on nades in any way is NOT the correct way to play the ditto.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Why do people keep thinking that nades are useful in dittos? Nades. Don't. Work. In. Snake. Dittos.

Of course, throwing the situational nade here and there works, but nade camping or relying on nades in any way is NOT the correct way to play the ditto.
It's for approaches. And what's to say your opponent is not as good as handling multiple nade situations as you. You have to try everything to get an advantage. Its not just about port #s. Look at the link I posted. Souther wasn't as good as handling the multiple nades at first which cuased 9B to **** him on the 1st life.

-Ran

Smash Master

I fully agree with you. I only use a nade to cover a risky move when I'm in a ditto. I typically get up close, and just out CQC them.

yellowroy

Smash Ace

lol your right but some people don't understand since they were watching those scrubby japanese snakes.

Panix

Smash Ace
Ehh, I like having ditto's with snakes and saying in the beginning of the match "bet you I can out camp you ;)" and then seeing whos the better camper.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I hate camping in snake dittos.

I like to play with aggression and it really seems to work well for me. I play kind of similar to the first half of this video. I stopped trying after the first half of his second stock, cause I felt bad LOL. It was just some random noob at a tourney a couple months back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpeJ_9rWmQ

Question regarding the DI. I've been noticing some problems with my DI of the C4. Typically when you don't DI it you'll go fairly straight up. Whenever I try to DI, I get 2 different trajectories. I typically go up either slightly left or right (30 degrees I'd say), or I go far to the left or right (60 degrees?). What is causing this?

After the C4 detonation input, I push immediatly to the left or right. But that gets the 2 different trajectories, and when I dont' get the one I want it really messes up when I am trying to tech under the stage as my DI doesn't always push me under the stage, just slight closer to it.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It depends on where you are in relation to the c4 when it blows up.

So if you don't DI you'll be right above it and you'll go straight up. Then the further you can get horizontally before the c4 blows up, the greater the angle you'll be sent at. At least that's what I feel happens, it's completely habit to me now. So I don't really ever think of it like that; I could possibly be wrong.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Maybe the way you are looking at ?!?

I have another question: When I see vids of Ally there are to things I recognized - He NEVER uses the Nikita or Dtilt. So my Question (Because I use them...) is there any situation where a Nikita or Dtilt ist the best option you have ?

I use Dtilt when I crawl to my oppenant or just to mix up and hold the uptilt fresh. Sometimes I really play much with crawl, it's an annoying technique and confuses often you oppenant.
The Nikita I use sometimes to hit a recovering oppenant or when I recover very high and fall, then I drop a nikita to prevent juggling (I also use nades and C4 to mix it up).

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the way you are looking at ?!?

I have another question: When I see vids of Ally there are to things I recognized - He NEVER uses the Nikita or Dtilt. So my Question (Because I use them...) is there any situation where a Nikita or Dtilt ist the best option you have ?

I use Dtilt when I crawl to my oppenant or just to mix up and hold the uptilt fresh. Sometimes I really play much with crawl, it's an annoying technique and confuses often you oppenant.
The Nikita I use sometimes to hit a recovering oppenant or when I recover very high and fall, then I drop a nikita to prevent juggling (I also use nades and C4 to mix it up).
Ally has used nikita but very rarely. Usually it's done when you are reallly high up in the air so that you can nikita, cancel the missile, and still have time to spotdodge or breversal before getting hit.

As for the dtilt, Ally always fights up close and he approaches by powershields so I don't feel liek he ever needs to crawl to someone to dtilt when he can run and powershield up to ftilt/utilt or grab.

I still fail to see why Snake dittos are hateful. Everyone mentions the camping and such, but I have only ever seen it used in the Japanese vids. It's not like a Falco ditto. That is for sure more annoying to play through.

It depends on where you are in relation to the c4 when it blows up.

So if you don't DI you'll be right above it and you'll go straight up. Then the further you can get horizontally before the c4 blows up, the greater the angle you'll be sent at. At least that's what I feel happens, it's completely habit to me now. So I don't really ever think of it like that; I could possibly be wrong.
That might explain the problems I am having. I always try to straighten out the Cypher at the peak of it's height before using the C4. So typically that would place me directly in line with the C4 not to far to the left or right of it.

SuSa

Yes, it can.

You can regrab if you are frame perfect and the MK doesn't uair. (Otherwise you trade hits) and if you're off by a single frame, the MK gets out. So dash attack is the most reliable.

Also MK breaks different if he breaks off close enough to the edge of the stage. We may be able to dash attack off-stage or maybe even jump off stage and RAR bair! just throwing that out there. (Marth can spike MK, but only if spaced and MK goes offstage. I had this happen to me in tourney..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom