• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallax

Smash Hero
if you are able to run right under marth and shield a fair/dancing blades then you my friend have found yourself a free grab. this usually happens when marth double jumps or you hit him upwards with like an utilt or something. and marths ftilt is crappy. easy to punish with a dash attack.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Shocking new development!
maybe

Of course you silly little pyros know that when wario eats your grenades he explodes and is pretty immobile for a while, and I'm not sure but I think there may be a hitbox with the animation.

Well, if the Wario lets the grenade hit him, but eats it before it bounces too high he still gets the explodey I-ate-a-grenade animation but there's ANOTHER explosion where the grenade would've landed when it would normally have exploded. I haven't done much testing so I'm not sure of things like if Kirby and D3 can do it too or whether or not you can pick up the "grenade" or anything like that, but it blew my mind when it happened. I also didn't think to check and see if he still took the damage from eating it, we only played around with it for a few minutes before moving on.

It's situational but you should still watch out for it because if it happens you're gonna want to punish the downtime of him eating it with something or other then you'll be eating your own grenade (just like he did lawl).

If this was already known, +1 postcount sorry.

EDIT: No video footage as I'm incapable, if someone else wants to do it then feel free.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
just to make things clear for those of you who dont know, when wario eats a nade and does his explodey I-ate-a-grenade animation, there is a hitbox that is mega powerful and can kill snake at 80% or something crazy like that, so when trying to punish be very careful that you dont get hit by it.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I'm having trouble getting past D3's CG lately. I mix up my game a lot with grenades, c4, etc, but no matter what D3 I play they still seem to find holes in my strategy. When I'm playing on a flat stage like FD, what are my best options to keep myself from getting grabbed? I utilize platforms really well on stages like BF, but that's much easier than holding down the flat portion of the stage. Suggestions?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Try to avoid f-tilting too much, or even jab-ftilt, because Dedede can shield it even if he gets jabbed. so jab to grab or jab to reset spacing works well. Stay out of Dedede's grab range and camp, if he tries to rush at you while your pulling a grenade run towards him and grenade grab. Personally I prefer to stage on the short side of the stage, near the ledge, so that even if I get grabbed there isnt enough room to chain grab me much. Any I find that I can usually recover pretty well by just upb to recover high.

LaIotun

Smash Apprentice

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
what the best secondarie for snake? and would be captain falcon(YESZ) or marth ok?
Snake's "bad" matchups are: Olimar, King Dedede, ZSS, MK, ROB?, Falco, Snake, Marth, with Olimar being the worst.

Falcon is really bad in brawl <.< Marth would be a good pick because he counters Olimar and Falco, and does well against Snake.

Other suggestions are: MK (duh), Falco, Peach

new question! (but still my old one wasnt answered ._.): best move to momentum cancel? and whats the best whey to ledgehog? thx
Bair, according to http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242407
And just grab the ledge to edgehog http://www.mattstow.com/articles/circular_arrows/circular_arrows.png

What is the timing for a boost grab? Do you hit grab at the very beginning, middle, or end of the dash attack?
Actually, the correct method is different for vertical survival verses horizontal survival:
Vertical: Bair and Fast Fall
Horizontal: Uair, Fast Fall, then second jump.
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244091

The Boost grab timing is at the very beginning of the dash attack, dash attack and then immediately grab. You can also grab by doing dash attack -> shield. While your at it, learn Boost Pivot Grab too.

ROB isn't a bad match up, generally it's 50:50 or relatively 55:45 Snake's favor. Falco is hard but Snake still has the upper hand and it says there in the ZSS boards that it's 45:55 Snake, don't see anything disadvantageous about ZSS and Yeah, Snake himself is hard because he is you. ZSS has great air games but Snake controls the stage better which makes it difficult for ZSS. Marth is I think the hardest but not sure, like what Susa said Marth can touch the stage (as in not run on the stage) blah I forgot, not sure if Marth is the hardest ask her I mean him (confused =() But this is getting out of topic, they're all good doubles anyway but Snake with another Snake is too risky.

(Also Wario is a pretty hard match up for Snake but the match up is not at all 60:40 Wario it's just 50:50)

LaIotun

Smash Apprentice
Snake's "bad" matchups are: Olimar, King Dedede, ZSS, MK, ROB?, Falco, Snake, Marth, with Olimar being the worst.

Falcon is really bad in brawl <.< Marth would be a good pick because he counters Olimar and Falco, and does well against Snake.

Other suggestions are: MK (duh), Falco, Peach

Actually, the correct method is different for vertical survival verses horizontal survival:
Vertical: Bair and Fast Fall
Horizontal: Uair, Fast Fall, then second jump.
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244091

The Boost grab timing is at the very beginning of the dash attack, dash attack and then immediately grab. You can also grab by doing dash attack -> shield. While your at it, learn Boost Pivot Grab too.
Eh, forgot about that thread, but what does fast falling horizontally do?
A post in there says it's like an arc?
And could you explain to me the Boost Pivot Grab?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I put bad in quotation marks because I dont necesarily mean bad I mean for Snake relative to the rest of the cast.

And I might have being wrong about ZSS.

.decoy

Smash Ace
if youre not deeply into the physics of smash, just take it as it is and understand that people who put more time into research than you did just that and understand how it works. and it does work. so just do it. uair, ffall, jump, live.

boost pivot grab is the same as a boost grab except you cancel the dash attack with a pivot grab. you'll know you do it cause snake slides before his grab. honestly tho snakes pivot grab is so jacked you can often just use that.

Masky

Smash Master
Most of the time you don't want to fast fall your momentum cancel aerial if you're sent horizontally, since that will generally make you be sent even more at a horizontal angle than into the corner of the blastzone (which you want)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Most of the time you don't want to fast fall your momentum cancel aerial if you're sent horizontally, since that will generally make you be sent even more at a horizontal angle than into the corner of the blastzone (which you want)
Noo... Susa said you fastfall. Listen to Susa.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
How do you pro sankes (mostly Ally) come up w/ so many different grenade patterns???
does just come naturally? if so how did u all learn them at first?

I mean I know few but you guys make it seem like its easy to come with them.
(the reason I say this is i've played sanke for about 4 months now and i've realized different/multiple grenade patterns really come into play when "grenade camping")

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yo Razer's grenade/explosives game is 10x better than Ally's.

I'm not a pro Snake by any means, but I just learn a few tricks in training mode, and then during matches I start with a trick, then improvise over the course of the match. For example if I pulled a grenade for wavebounce recovery, I can reuse it by picking it up, throwing it, or insta-throw it. Like, know the timing of the grenade, so you can lob grenades with a long fuse and throw/instathrow grenades with a short fuse.

I always thought grenade usage was pretty much make it up as you go. You get a few basic ideas down to help you get a feel of what to use them for in the correct situation.

Light tossing a grenade against really aerial people makes a few match-ups easier. Wario, MK, etc. Normal toss if you manage to cook it right and they start air camping you. Hard Toss against short characters as it's easier to hit them when they are grounded compared to chucking with a cstick. Little things like that.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I am more of a guy who bounces his grenades, or sets them down and uses them as walls. Plus, I like to carry them and do air dodged explosions or just grenade wave bounce away stripping the nade and shortoss then run away. I am just weird.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I like doing tricks from a grenade stance, like face away from them in grenade stance, then instant bair oos as they try to grab me or smthing.

You can do anything with grenades since it has a good blast radius and they can become items once it's used or it's shield dropped. Grenades asides from Snake's tilts makes Snake a strong character but C. Falcon's D taunt is just too awesome

.decoy

Smash Ace
why he wouldn't dtilt it just for the sake of using a less-used move i couldn't say but...i think anyone else probably should.

you could argue uptilt is faster but yeah. i think dtilt is the way to go.

D- tilt comes in handy against small characters like MK and yeah, it seems less used though and it's like the inferior version of the u-tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom