• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I'm assuming he means you hit with the tip? I suppose, it is disjointed and may poss have more horizontal range than uptilt, I pull it out very occasionally in matches, mostly using it for edge guarding.

That means all of Snake's tilts are disjointed. I really don't get why some people say Snake is broken and should be banned from tourneys? Snake has glaring disadvantages like his recovery, his air games, fall speed, being combo'ed easily and I made the best and worst stages for Snake according to Best to worst and I got this from the other character boards, though it's incomplete:

Halberd +6
Smashville +5
FD +2
Corneria +1
Castle siege +1
Green greens +1
PS 1 +1
Battlefield +0
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) +0
Luigi's mansion +0
Brinstar +0
Frigrate +0
Distant Planet +0
Onett +0
Pictochat +0
Port town +0
Big blue +0
Skyworld +0
Yoshi's island (melee) +0
Bridge of Eldin +0
Pirate ship +0
Mushroom kingdom +0
Lylat +0
PS 2 -1
Norfair -1
Delfino Plaza -2
Rainbow Cruise -3
Japes -3

.decoy

Smash Ace
that is a random list..i think a lot of them are matchup dependent as well
like brinstar as + 0. i could see that being a very good stage for snake in certain matchups

It's incomplete and I'm not sure about it :( and I'm following the other character boards

colddegree

Smash Cadet
How do get back to the stage against a zelda, when she just spams din fire, and then spikes, or uairs me for the kill?

I'm having a bit of a hard time dealing with Diddy's bananas. How do you deal with them?

How so? Are they throwing them at you as you land, from a distance?

If they are throwing them as you land learn to time an airdodge for just as you land, you'll pick up the banana this way. You can even buffer a throw as soon as you land also.

If they are throwing them at a distance I say try to PS the throw when you see it being thrown or dash attack approach them occasionally. You'll pick up the banana as they throw it at you.

I know there are more variations to it than that, but those are the 2 scenarios that come to mind.

colddegree

Smash Cadet
but wont ff to ad lead me into recovering with my up b low? i'll end up getting spiked

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
but wont ff to ad lead me into recovering with my up b low? i'll end up getting spiked
Recover high with your cypher 1st so that your over the stage, then fast fall. If she hits you out then DI up so that you will be high and closer to the stage. I like to use my second jump right before the cypher so I get the boost from it, that make it less punishible. If you do end up too low, I suggest cyphering away from the stage and C4 yourself so you get in a better position to recover and less chance of you getting spiked/lightning kicked.

colddegree

Smash Cadet
oh ok thnx
and to beserker, to prevent getting naner lock try shield dropping a nade before approaching.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Tell me if I'm right or not: with Snake when your cyphering straight up, if you get shield grabbed you get grabbed and can air release into a C4 recovery. But if you get running grabbed the cypher will hit your opponent and you will be forced to ground release and would not have the time to bomb jump.

.decoy

Smash Ace
they don't have to running grab you to do the ground release.
you just have to be grabbed at the right point...they kinda grab the actual cypter and you get *****.
if they grab your body then yeah you can c4 recover. i dont think running or standing/shield grabbing has much to do with it.

Does Snake make the best setup on Halberd, because I don't see any match ups against Halberd and most of the match ups say "Ban: Halberd" (Except Kirby's) and are there moves that can punish MK at least because MK's moves are flashy (Except F-smash)

Griffsports

Smash Rookie
I have a question, is there a video tutorial for snake C4 recovery ecause i can't seem to get it right D:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just make sure you're still on your cypher when you push down-b, then you won't be able to fast fall it and miss the c4. (You can technically do it when you're just falling normally, it's just a lot harder to not fastfall) Then don't let go of down and just blow it up as soon as you can. (If you don't have the timing down, you can just keep mashing the b button until it blows up and that'll work just fine too.)

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Kind of a stupid question. Would cypher be considered a projectile when Snake lets go? I think there's no viable application for this, but it was just out of curiosity.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Kind of a stupid question. Would cypher be considered a projectile when Snake lets go? I think there's no viable application for this, but it was just out of curiosity.
Yes, its a projectile, not sure if you can reflect it though, it does have the special properties of going through stages. I remember seeing a vid where the cypher hit someone wicked high up and KOed him off the top.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I found a use for it the other day. We were playing duelist pro, and one of my friends thought it was funny to sit on top and just plant dsmash mines on the corner and fsmash us through the corners, etc. So i started aiming all my cyphers at him lol.

I found a use for it the other day. We were playing duelist pro, and one of my friends thought it was funny to sit on top and just plant dsmash mines on the corner and fsmash us through the corners, etc. So i started aiming all my cyphers at him lol.
I would have tried to C4 myself back up there then started doing a little one on one xD How did it go with the cyphers?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It went pretty good. I actually knocked him into his own mine once XD

And he would just do it for like thirty seconds or something after he came back and then he'd come down and fight with everyone else. But it still worked :D

I have a very important question for the Snake boards that I need answered.

Why is today the last day for Ken Neth to smash ever?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Ken Neth is going to Belgium for two years and he will be very busy there and no time for smash. When he comes back the metagame will be changed too much so he thinks now would be a good time to quit.

*tears are falling on my keyboard as I'm typing this :cry:*

2 years? I bet the next SSB when be release by that year so what's wrong with too much updates of Snake's metagame?

I was playing with lvl 9 CPU Olimar since I had nothing to do then when I dash attacked to him towards the edge, I went off the ledge for some unknown reason then I did a nair. How did that happen?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
2 years? I bet the next SSB when be release by that year so what's wrong with too much updates of Snake's metagame?

I was playing with lvl 9 CPU Olimar since I had nothing to do then when I dash attacked to him towards the edge, I went off the ledge for some unknown reason then I did a nair. How did that happen?
You DASC'ed him,

heres an explaination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54mPByImY0

So this is how it happens, not sure, maybe?
S- Snake E- Snake does dash attack
X- Enemy O- Enemy shields
U- Enemies shield gets hit
H- Snake is in mid-air

1.)_ _ _ _ _S_ _X

2.)_ _ _ _ _ E_ _O

3.)_ _ _ _ _ _E_ _O

4.)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ EU

5.)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _X H

So the dash attack has to be done at the very last second against the shield for it to work then the advantages you can do to it is that you can follow-up attacks. Thanks :)

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Yes, its a projectile, not sure if you can reflect it though, it does have the special properties of going through stages. I remember seeing a vid where the cypher hit someone wicked high up and KOed him off the top.
Thanks for your answer. It is not reflectable. Pretty interesting, but viability is very limited.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Nikita is best used when your opponent is trying to recover to hopefully mess up their recovery (or even gimp him if you nikita ness/lucas's up b)

Also if you get hit high up you can nikita and drop it immediately to have a falling projectile cover you as you try to land.

Other than that there isn't that much use to it.

Whenever I play against my brother who plays as Link, he times his arrows and neutralizes my thrown grenades. How do I deal with it?

Whenever I play against my brother who plays as Link, he times his arrows and neutralizes my thrown grenades. How do I deal with it?
A few solutions.

1) Strong toss so it rolls along the ground. Arrows should just arc over it.
2) Mid Toss so it goes in the air. Avoids arrows by coming in from above.
3) SH and throw. Again, avoids arrows by coming in from above.
4)Forego camping -> Ftilt -> edgeguard -> end of stock. Recommended only for those that are pro. :laugh:

About number 1, can't he used uncharged bow?
It'll be harder to do so. The arrow cancels with the grenade when thrown from standing height becuase the arrow travels at that height for a long time. By strong tossing it along the ground it avoids the arrows main arc. Arrows do not come down until the very end. So it should work. But I'm not sure, I really do not try to camp often against Link. I'm just showing a few variations to how you can toss/throw them to get better results. Best to try them all to see which works best. Really, most link's just throw the boomerang against me which mess up with the grenades more so than arrows. That's why forego camping often.

When Link's dair hits Snake's cypher, will Snake not get hit and you'll just hear a sword sound and will Link bounce off the cypher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom