• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last time, there are less competetive players in my place and most of the people here are tekeners >=( and just be creative with nades. Duh..

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I personally like doing light toss to insta-throw down to insta-throw forward. Or grenade pull, wait, sheild drop and pickup, normal toss a second grenade, then insta-throw 1st nade.

And upthrow grenade to uptilt is too sexy.

Well since you emphasized it again .decoy, I think reading all the things discussed about DDD will make it better and what does qft mean? Pls no one dares emphasizing the competitive thing about DDD. Why?

1. Not much people use DDD
2. I only played against my friends who use DDD
3. Seriously, lots of people don't play DDD

Because most or all DDD's don't really know DDD competitively. Don't blame me, blame the place I live in :p

DON'T TRY EMPHASIZING IT AGAIN!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
You must like in the West then, cuz we EC got a ton of DDD's. A good DDD is a pain in the ***. It's like playing Boss Battles, you gotta slowly chip away at his life, and then you have to somehow land a killing move on him.

Like srsly, yesterday I was playing against my friend's DDD as Falco, he literally survived like over 2 mins at 200%, and I lost an entire stock trying to get the kill. And thats with Falco, Snake is like 5 times worse, your lucky you dont feel the pain of facing a good Dedede.

I know it's painful :( but happily, I suffer 100 spams of Pikimins each weekend and a Friday and I suffer being electrocuted, getting burned, getting hit by 100 lbs trash, getting blue bruises and getting poisoned and you know who does that right?

Ehhh... No none of them. I just stink against Olimar :p no matter how dumb the Olimar is. I would probably get 2 stocked by it or 1 stocked but if I win, I dunno

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah, I haven't really played against a great olimar, played against a couple of decent ones though, I find that sidestep to tilts works wonders, as well as running sidestep approach. Or I can just switch to my other main Falco, but yeah I prob do need to play against a good olimar to learn that matchup.

Olimar is a pain :p

Btw, this is my opinion about Snake's moves:

S tier:
Grenades
Mines
F- tilt
U-tilt

A tier:
D-smash
Neutral A
D-tilt
D-throw

B tier:
F-throw
U-smash
B-air
B-throw

C tier:
U-throw
F-air
U-air
D-air

D-tier:
N-air (Not a fan of this move)
Remote rocket
Box taunt

This is just my opinion, feel free to make your own :ohwell:

.decoy

Smash Ace
ok i don't know if you noticed (berserker) but people posting in this forum are asking questions directly related to competition. they want to know how to get BETTER. saying that you haven't played competitively is fine; but then it's not really on you to answer questions about competitive play.

for example, just because there aren't a lot of ddd's around you don't mean one ddd won't **** you if you don't know the matchup. i've been knocked out of tournaments before because i didn't know a matchup (diddykong, first one i ever played in my life). there was only one there that entire tournament, and i played him. oh i also lost to ally in winners. yeah. anyway, posting about the difficulty of a matchup without having experience with said matchup is questionable at best.

also c'mon man. a list of how good snakes moves are? there are situational uses for most of them. just because you don't like n-air doesn't mean its bad. i mean really. saying that ftilt has many uses is one thing. but saying a move is worse than another cause you don't like it. uair is the best move to kill a grab released wario (assuming its fresh). there is no better move in that situation. what does it matter if its 'c-tier'?

seriously though im not trying to "flame" you or anything; i apologize if what i say offends you. i also know that is not much consolation for offense. but i do feel that this is important. i'm just saying that this is not a social thread. posting opinions is fine. people post about what they think is better or worse all the time. but its constructive, can be critiqued and adds towards a bank of knowledge. giving advice and then saying well i have no experience so this might not really help actually doesn't really help a lot of people.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Olimar is a pain :p

Btw, this is my opinion about Snake's moves:

S tier:
Grenades
Mines
F- tilt
U-tilt

A tier:
D-smash
Neutral A
D-tilt
D-throw

B tier:
F-throw
U-smash
B-air
B-throw

C tier:
U-throw
F-air
U-air
D-air

D-tier:
N-air (Not a fan of this move)
Remote rocket
Box taunt

This is just my opinion, feel free to make your own :ohwell:
Nair and remote rocket are amazing. Nair is probably one of his best aerials. Rocket can gimp luigi and ike and some other people.

That's just my opinion and you can make your own anyway and decoy, it's okay anyway :) I'm not the mean type of person at least :p and decoy, the moves our just my opinion you can make your own and good point this ain't a social thread anyway O_O

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Nair is good if the opponent can't SDI, like me. I can't react and mash enough. At best, I get out of the last 2 hits. Nikita = failed b-reverse for me. Also, MU experience is crucial for every character. I was knocked out of a tourney b/c I wasn't used to the Kirbs MU, even though it's 60:40 Snake's favor. Last thursday I played a mini-friendly tourney and got knock off playing my first wario. I was eating aerials and didn't know wario's spacing.

Related Question:
Haha, when recovering, he would occasionally jump back with wario's bite. I didn't know what the hell he was doing, so I stopped any attempts at a gimp, thinking it could be a suicide or some type of gimp. I asked him why he used bite offstage... He said he just likes to mess with people... That offstage bite when recovering doesn't have any REAL uses right? Also, in hindsight, I should've lobbed a nade so that Wario would undergo swallowing animation and die :p

mofo_

Smash Ace
its a mindgame trick by the warios. it tricks you because you don't know what the hell he's doing, so you'll stop any attempts at a gimp, thinking it could be a suicide or some type of gimp.

anyways....what are the all characters we can air release chain grab?
ganondorf
sheik (i heard you could do air release right at the ledge and go into a fair spike)
falco
MK
bowser
DK? Diddy? Wario? idk bout those last 3, it kinda looks like you could.

you can air release chain grab these guys while on the moving platform on Smashville..
sheik being the easiest as all you do is just stand there...the rest you kinda have to move forward

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I have trouble landing grabs with Snake. Almost always the grab is too short to shield grab, so I can't get the dthrow. Any tips to land them easier?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I have trouble landing grabs with Snake. Almost always the grab is too short to shield grab, so I can't get the dthrow. Any tips to land them easier?
If your opponent likes to airdodge land, grab or pivot grab them on landing. And if you know what attack they will use to land with, either shield grab it, or grab from the landing lag, or space a pivot grab so that you avoid their hitbox and grab them.

You can get grabs easier when your opponent is at a killing percentage, because they will be more defensive and try to shield your attacks.

@ Mofo, Susa made a thread about snake's grab releases on this board, I'd find it for you but im too lazy.

mofo_

Smash Ace
oh wow sweet .that means we can easily chain grab ganondorf, MK, falco, sheik, squirtle and bowser on the moving platform on SV. :D

I built up my snake game to counter my friend's marth and i have finally gotten to the point where i can beat him 2/3 times when we play in neutral stage except battlefield. As soon as i get in the air he just doesn't let me get back down. Can anyone give me some tip on how to get back to the stage better. I've tried doing the drop c4 and explode it as a defensive measure but that u tilt is fast and im have a hard time countering it. And in an off track question to SUSA did you really d throw chase a ROB to 430 in a tournament?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Haha you picked a bad char to counter marth, as marth does very well against snake, MK's a better choice.

-Ran

Smash Master
I built up my snake game to counter my friend's marth and i have finally gotten to the point where i can beat him 2/3 times when we play in neutral stage except battlefield. As soon as i get in the air he just doesn't let me get back down. Can anyone give me some tip on how to get back to the stage better. I've tried doing the drop c4 and explode it as a defensive measure but that u tilt is fast and im have a hard time countering it. And in an off track question to SUSA did you really d throw chase a ROB to 430 in a tournament?
Go with MK if you want to hard counter Marth. You beat everything he has on the ground with forward tilt. All he's left with is fast fall fair and mind games. The Snake vs Marth match up is pretty even, but if you're campy with shield + grenades there's not much Marth can do.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Go with MK if you want to hard counter Marth. You beat everything he has on the ground with forward tilt. All he's left with is fast fall fair and mind games. The Snake vs Marth match up is pretty even, but if you're campy with shield + grenades there's not much Marth can do.
Except break you shield.

-Ran

Smash Master
Most shield breaks come out of a B-reversal "retreat." If you're keeping a grenade out, the grenade would explode you out of the broken state before you can be punished.

Yeah but I enjoy playing as Snake. I haven't played against a good enough MK to hate MK but I've used him enough to know that he is by far the cheapest in the game. I also hate marth for the fact that with 3 moves:Fair, SD and DS he is essential the same character and he wears a tiara. If all of us wanted the best match ups we would all play MK and that would be no fun for anyone. Snake is great as i usually play defensive , like to play heavy characters and love the mortar slide and u tilting for the win. Seriously the u tilt is maybe the greatest move in the game. I love how my friend react when it hits them "WTf he wasn't anywhere near me"

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Utilt isn't that great, its easy to see coming, it doesn't kill that early, it's kinda slow, it can be punished pretty badly, yeah...

Yumewomiteru: Utilt isn't that great, its easy to see coming, it doesn't kill that early, it's kinda slow, it can be punished pretty badly, yeah...
[/I]

Slander and lies. I guess if you get shielded it is pretty punishable but as for seeing it coming and it being slow what are you talking about. There is a reason people say it is broken. If you are talking about people know it is coming because it is snake only reliable killing move then why do people get killed by MK's d smash and up b. I dont know the frame data for the u tilt i know it is pretty fast. And I don't need to explain "it doesnt kill early"

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
G&W is very easy to techchase, if you know he will get up and up b, then grab him during the vulnerable frames of his get up.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Well see even if you expect something else you can still react to a get up.

Ex:
you expect a roll forward so you run forward, opponent getups, pivot grab
expect a get up attack and shields, opponent getups. sheild grab
expect a roll backwards so you turn around, opponet getups, turnaround grab
expect your opponent to wait and do nothing so you wait, opponent get ups, grab
expect a get up.... grab

LAWL

Tech Chasing in general is difficult due to the frame window involved. G&W is eaiser as far as it goes with Tech Chasing compared to many others. His rolls are short and compact around snake's range unlike lucario. They are also slower than many others. His Get-up attack faces away from Snake therefore increasing the reaction window to that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom