• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
You can actually grab lucario out of a forward roll with a boost grab, just saying.

Lucario cant camp Snake that well, my friend basically use aurasphere to **** up my recovery/landing. Lucario can combo Snake very well so he's better off being aggresive.

Or he can space dem f-smashes, which are very annoying.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah, Lucario boards say that Snake is his worst matchup, btw Mizu, have you played against Zero? I think ppl say hes like the best Lucario in NC.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Zero! ....Zero......Zero?

Sounds familiar, but no I have not.
I mean I've only been to 2 tourneys throughout my entire brawl career.....yea...I know..I need a lot mo' experience, and play lots of friendlies.

Hey...Yumewomiteru...I'm gonna frined requset you , would you mind accepting it. TY.

-Ran

Smash Master
Lucario vs Snake is almost even. Slight nod to Snake due to his ability to kill Lucario just as he becomes full strength.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Oh okay, thats making more sense, cuz i was getting worried that my friend's Lucario is doing very well against my Snake.

@ Mizu, yea go ahead lol, I just remember Zero as the 1st guy I played at my 1st tournament. I went to PLUR's down in NC over the summer, the NC smash community got me into the competitive scene. Yeah idk how good Zero is actually, I got wrecked but I sucked *** back then.

Ehhh, I'm too lazy to tell about Lucario. I'll just tell the P.O.V of ph1ny
General info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ryu View Post
Snake can be really ********.

Grenade cooking, mines, long ranging tilts, he's a camp fest. Grenades aren't that bad unless he cooks them, if he cooks, just shield if he doesn't go ahead and grab the grenade and throw it back at him. Also, Aura sphere>Mines.

Snake dashing may be a good surprise, however; it has no priority, he can be knocked out of it easy. If you didn't beat it, it's probably because you were hit by the dash attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melomaniacal View Post
Snake is ridiculous. His tilts are absolutely stupid. Everything about him is absolutely stupid. He has incredible range on nearly all of his attacks, his tilts are stronger and more ranged than many smashes, and he doesn't die too easily. Honestly, I hate Snake. A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
At high percents: IMPORTANT. Snake has advantage at high percents. Why? he can out camp you, and has safe(er) killing options. He can chuck grenades and there's not much you can do about it.
What to avoid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigrid Fiinikkusu View Post
Snaaaaake... *Shudder*

This match can be pretty even for Lucario or you can get slaughtered. From my experience, you don't want to attack a grounded Snake with aerials. His u-tilt has more range than it should and his f-tilt outranges ours. However you don't just want to try and projectile spam him, you have to have a balance of approaching and retreating if you want to win. The only time you want to even think about using aerials is when the snake is in the air or above, otherwise forget it.

You can use BAS to try and get some damage in, but a good snake will just shield it most of the time. Also you'd be better of avoiding Snakes nades rather then throwing them back at him unless he just immediately throws it without waiting. This is a tough match for Lucario that can easily go either way. The only thing we have on snake is that we have a better roll , aerials. Fsmash is too slow to use against Snake most of the time unless he's recovering. It's better to use Lucarios Ftilt and even dtilt if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melomaniacal View Post
Be ready for the uptilt when you start getting into killing percentages, and DI accordingly. I wouldn't even bother approaching on the ground because of his broken ftilt/jab. Some Snakes like doing their little dthrow/tech chase chaingrab, and if they're inexperienced against Lucario, they won't know that Lucario rolls too far. I've only encountered this once or twice, but it's good to know. If he dthrows you, roll away. Should have plenty of time to retaliate.

His grenade game is stupid. Keep an eye out for grenade cooking, and always watch where he throws them (this goes for all his explosives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
This matchup looks a lot worse on paper but it's still pretty bad imo. He can out camp you when Lucario is at lower percents and when Lucario is at higher percents it's still hard to camp a good Snake. Approaching is tough in this matchup since he has Utilt, Jab, Ftilt and Grab that can be used pretty well OoS. His Nades are also kind of a ***** to deal with. Don't get predictable with your rolls and NEVER roll towards him. Snake can and will punish your rolls, he can even punish retreating rolls with your dash attack. Snakes complain about how they can't really tech chase us with their Dthrow since we roll so far, that is a plus for us. Snake's Dthrow still does 12% and he can still hit us with a Ftilt or Dash Attack if we get predictable.

Sorry if I didn't quote it anyway you know who posted it, it says there. All I know is that this Match up is 60:40 Snake

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I've gotten a bit used to lucario. I don't find his f-smash too threatening unless I let go of shield too early, since it has a long start up time. Spacing wise, it's not too hard to shield on rxn; just don't play too fast and you won't run into it.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
The problem with his f-smash is that it outranges your f-tilt, so you have to be wairy of using it too liberally, for ex. If you try to ftilt lucario, he can just walk back a little bit to avoid both hits, and f-smash you in the endling lag of your f-tilt. Also f-smash beats dash attack and dacus, so yeah, like you said don't charge into him.

Tan, you should come over sometimes and play Nafiun's Lucario, maybe you know the matchup better than I do and can do well against him. But I'm not doing so well against him so I think I'm not doing something right...

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
yeah, I agree with you on this one Nappy, ppl say Snake is Lucario's worst matchup, but I feel like I have a better chance with Falco, and thats like an almost even matchup.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
What should I do against a MK that short hops and air-dodges to catch grenades?

My best guess is... cook them?

Not sure which match-up.

When MK does tornado, throw a nade at him
Level 1 of MK Skill
-Likes to tornado often, even at a distance
-Punish with Grenades

Level 2 of MK Skill
-They learned that trying to tornado at a distance gets them punished, so instead they do it up close
-You pull grenades on them and you both blow up.

Level 3 of MK Skill
-MK finallly got smart and started waiting for you to mess up and not have a grenade out.
-Counter... There is none if MK is punishing your mistakes instead with Tornado now.

Ally does that against M2K you know that right and about MK:

MK is a fun fun match up for Snake. D-tilt gets really annoying since it can shield poke Snake and it's very hard to evade tornado. MK's air games are the way opposite of Snake, It's high priority, fast, excellent burr... The only thing that you can count on is playing evasively and defensively, you need to camp and dodge MK with grenades and mindgaming against MK will be kinda hard. You need to spam nades because this is what keeps you alive against him and f-tilt would be your best bet than U-tilt. I don't use U-tilts in this match up because it's most likely punishable since it has 37 frames or 34 and most of MK's moves could punish it. JUST PLAY DEFENSIVE AND PLAY SMART, space hard no matter how hard it is and of course avoid going up to the air and stay on the ground. MK has verrryyy good platform control so better go to FD and your obiously best stage Halberd which is ironically MK's homestage (lol) MK is a flashy roller so better get ready. Just remember the things you have to becareful about the match up:
- Yourself
- MK
- Tornado
- Shuttle loop
- Your recovery
- Getting into the air
Stay away against MK at all times to keep caution against him, again to rephrase nade, nade MK. Whenever (As in if you find time) IF you found an open spot of MK, punish him hard. MK can kill/gimp you while you are recovering easily with Shuttle loop so prepare extreme DI.

That's all, correct some mistakes if there

-Ran

Smash Master
What should I do against a MK that short hops and air-dodges to catch grenades?

My best guess is... cook them?
You can strip grenades. You can cook them. You can do more complex things with your grenades such as short hop dropping them. The point of a grenade is to have it denying access to an area of a map for a short time. The damage is nice, but that is the true roll of it. Really, there's no one in the game that should be capable of using your grenades better than you. You just need to practice with them more.

So what is the best match-up against snake?
I'd have to say D3. Due to his massive grab range, there really isn't anything Snake can do except out play one by a terrific margin. As I've told Nappy, the reason that tournaments don't come down to this is because most high level D3s get taken out by high/moderate level MKs.

Hey, how about Olimar? Olimar can like spam stuff and more stuff and his air games are.... Olimar is a pain 45:55 Olimar, that's what I think and Olimar is lastly ugly

-Ran

Smash Master
Olimar feels near even to me. You cannot camp Olimar, you need to get up and personal with him or else you're going to lose. Instead of spot dodging against him, jab which will prevent anything from hitting you. Down throw ***** Olimar, and you will get him with it. Sure there's some nasty stuff Olimar can do at early percents to Snake, but Snake can do the same stuff once he's up close.

Lol I get it now, so you need to gimp and kill him of course. It's like doing the texas wedgie <3

FU^InSmash

Smash Cadet
DDD is always a good match-up against my friend who is really good and plays almost exactly like Ally does. (well thats in my own opinion) but his Snake is very beastly and can do crazy **** and i cant find a good character to beat him as. I used to use Marth because i could spike him and stuff but he is able to avoid the spike most the time and when i go to attack he just drops nades on me and ****. then as soon as i am at about 110% he up tilts and is able to kill me. I am a good Marth but Marth vs Snake always seems like a bad match up. he has a response to every move i can do. I try to counter but he grabs too much, I try to spot dodge but then he jabs or he over tilts me. i like DDD for his chain grab and his good aerials but still snake is able to beat him out it seems. for some reason Zelda is a better match up for Snakes then ppl think tho. I have beaten many snakes against my Zelda who were pretty decent. Also have tried Falco against Snake but that works till he is up to about 250% and I still haven't killed him. Someone please find the best match up so i can practice with that character to beat my friends Snake and for the tourny i got in about 2 weeks. Thanks

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
As a Snake main, I have to say the the DDD matchup is a *****, esp when your opponent sometimes messes up the cg so that you can get out with a grenade drop, but then when you do that, he rolls behind you and grab all over again. I used to do well against my DDD maining friend, but now he knows the matchup so well that its near impossible for me to win.

As a Falco main, I have to say that I love fighting against Snake, if you get the chaingrab and do a walking chaingrab u should be able to cg him w/o him being able to pull a grenade. And his options is so limited on landing (airdodge, nade reversal land, bair), you can punish with grab/ fsmash or usmash most of the time. And when you get him at high percentage, bair and uair are good killers, esp if he air dodges the uair then you can just follow w/ ff bair.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
DDD and marth are annoying. DDD, his CG, his weight, and his bair are annoying. I try to camp as much as possible. Marth, I don't have too much experience against a GOOD marth. A smart marth can juggle snake - wait for the airdodge and punish with uair. I personally think DDD is the worst though, since I haven't played a good marth or oli.

BloodySnake

Smash Rookie
Personally I think Mario is the most annoying...
Kept getting hit by my own missiles... :(
That, or other Snakes...

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Whats the best thing to do when DDD cg's you? What I always did was either mash b or spot dodge so if he mess up the timing I can get out. But now he got smart and every time I try to do it he would roll behind me and cg me back across the stage again.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Whats the best thing to do when DDD cg's you? What I always did was either mash b or spot dodge so if he mess up the timing I can get out. But now he got smart and every time I try to do it he would roll behind me and cg me back across the stage again.
I mash B too. I would employ the screaming tech, but DDD's CG is much more simpler than IC's. Maybe I'll just scream for the hell of it. It'll catch'em off guard, haha.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Both are what I generally do, but once DDD figures it out your going to take a ton of damage from him rolling behind you and grabbing you again, and no, the nade wont blow up as youll be cg'ed far away from it.

DDD is hard but luckily, I'm also battling a DDD I hope this one is serious because if I don't (I'm serious about this) I'm going to suicide and kill my self then lose just like what I always do when this happens

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Well lets think here, can you buffer a grenade pull with the 10 buffer frames?
Cuz if thats the case then instead of mashing, you can press b once and hold it.
If it doesn't work you have enough time to do it again when he dthrows you again.
If it does work and he tries to chaingrab he will be blown up by the nade
If he fsmashes or rolls behind you you can react by rolling away.

The trick is that DDD's rolls are pretty quick, so you have to press b during the buffer frames and then react with a roll when he rolls. Or you can just input the grenade to roll everytime he d-throws you, but then if he predicts it he can regrab you again.

Thoughts?

-Ran

Smash Master
The only thing you should be attempting to buffer when you're getting chain grabbed by D3 is a Grenade. That's the safest option. If you're spamming shield/roll/spotdodge, a good D3 is going to use this to get easy tilts/dash attacks, or any other read that they feel like doing. The only thing that has a logistical chance of coming out due to player error at a competitive level is going to be a grenade. Anything else is a waste of effort.

D3 misses a grab. You spot dodge. He grabs you.
D3 misses a grab. You roll backwards. He dash grabs you.
D3 misses a grab. You roll behind him. He pivot grabs.
D3 misses a grab. You air dodge. He grabs you.
D3 intentionally misses a grab. You do any of the above aside from rolling behind him, and you eat a dash attack, or up tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom