• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt utilt beat every single appraoch kirby has (except a stone from above, which is hardly a viable appraoch)?

-Ran

Smash Master
It's close. They have enough mobility to fake approach bair to create a whiffed Up Tilt. Shield is your best option against an incoming Kirby that is aerial, then you punish during their lag.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Kirby's bair ***** Snake off stage, if hes near you when you need to cypher, be prepared to take a ton of damage. an alternative is to just C4 yourself instead of cyphering, but watch your DI as he can footstool you or spike you if you fly to close to him.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Kirby actually can't dair you out of your cypher because of the heavy armor on Snake's cypher, his bair will be used more for gimping you.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Actually I hear that Kirby can camp really well if he takes your power, as he can ledge camp pretty well with his 5 jumps and b-reversal.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
He can just blow up you mines with the nades. And against an experienced player against Snake its hard to hit with the C4, as they will usually know where it is, and if they forget they can be wary of it and shield/airdodge on reaction. Also, When you detonate a C4 on a shielding kirby, be gets a good slide from the shield knockback. Once a kirby like slide towards me and fsmashed me, it was totally unexpected, just something to watch out for.

BloodySnake

Smash Rookie
I found out that most people don't notice if you plant C4 in mid air, especially if they're preoccupied. I managed to surprise my friend by sticking C4 on him in mid air. Twice.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
idk, maybe its because I play Snake, but I only get hit by C4 like once a set, I always keep good track of where it is. I sort of trained my ears so that I can recognize the sound of it dropping.

BloodySnake

Smash Rookie
Same here. That's when I look to see where he is and never approach that spot (C4 has a lag after it's been dropped). Also, I think that due to reverse psychology, you should drop C4 in an unsuspicious location, such as randomly in the middle of the floor. They'll expect that the C4 is in some mobile or otherwise helpful place, and walk into it. You can guess what happens next.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
idk, the thing is, if you just avoid the spot where the C4 is, your opponent can pick up on that and predict where you will go and hit you out of it, one of my fav moves is to b-throw someone near a mine, and usually they try to jump to avoid the mine, and I just nair the exact place they will land. Best thing to do is to walk near it and just shield when Snake blows it up.

And if you just avoid where Snake is as he is landing, you are doing him a favor by giving him a free landing, you WANT to be under him so you can pwn him on landing, as his options are very limited (bair, airdodge, b-reversal).

And yeah, its good to mix up where you place your C4, but against someone who plays against Snake alot, don't be surprised if he doesn't get hit by your C4 even once.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I find now-a-days one of the best uses for C4 is to edgeguard. SH C4 > jump > react. They may try to airdodge through the C4, recover higher, etc. It just puts some pressure on recovering whether you decide to explode the C4 or not.

-Ran

Smash Master
Sometimes it is better to put the C4 in an obvious place, so everyone can see it. On Lylat, I always put it on the center platform. Almost everytime someone crosses the platform, they either air dodge or shield. It puts fear into their approach, slowing down their game.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
FH C4 is better, SH C4 falls to low to be that useful. Fatal has this nice trick where he FH/DJ reverse C4 into bair, it works too well.

What the... I battled someone, I planted a C4 we battled for a long time while the C4 was still there, he was trying to go away from me, he went towards the C4? Booom! What the heck was that? Didn't he know?

Random C4 explosions are very entertaining in my opinion. Espically when it ends up causing someone's death :laugh: Even if it happens to me my own stock :urg:

I do have a question. Does anyone know what causes the DI of the C4 to be so great, or so little? Everytime I DI the C4 in recovery, my trajectory angle changes so much. From vertical, I might go off at a 10 degree difference, or as much as a 30 degree angle. I am holding perpendicular the whole time, I am just not sure what causes it to change so much.

Did that answer my question O_O?
I thought you were telling a story of something entertaining you saw happen. If you didn't know, the C4 simply expired. After 26-27 seconds of being planted, but not detonated, the C4 will simply explode on its own.

I got gayed really hard one time when this happened. A Snake I was playing when I was pit got stuck under FD and tried to C4 recovery, but instead placed the C4 on the side of the stage. He died, we played a bit longer, I got stuck where he did when using UpB, the C4 he placed earlier just happened to explode at that point right there. Insta-death by stage spike -_- Of all the remote places to put a C4 and I happen to be there when it explodes.

Never C4 recover near the stage but in cases of teching, the only thing is "Good luck dude"

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
A couple of times I timed things right to throw people at the C4 just as the timer expires, once as Falco I threw a Snake on his own C4 just as it blew up soooo satisfying. I dont keep track of the time, but I do have a feel for it, although it would be a good idea and mindgames to look at the timer and calculate when its going to explode, lrn2subtract27?

Also, the DI of the C4 depends on where the C4 is relative to you. If your like on top of it you will be sent at like a 30 degree angle, if its bit to your side (say you want to DI left you want the C4 to be right of you) you can get as much as a 60 degree angle from the C4.

tl;dr move moar horizontally before blowing up the C4.

EDIT: If your forced to C4 recovery near the stage, reverse the C4 so that it doesn't get stuck on the stage, and make sure you DI AWAY from the stage or you will get footstooled by a good opponent.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I thought you were telling a story of something entertaining you saw happen. If you didn't know, the C4 simply expired. After 26-27 seconds of being planted, but not detonated, the C4 will simply explode on its own.

I got gayed really hard one time when this happened. A Snake I was playing when I was pit got stuck under FD and tried to C4 recovery, but instead placed the C4 on the side of the stage. He died, we played a bit longer, I got stuck where he did when using UpB, the C4 he placed earlier just happened to explode at that point right there. Insta-death by stage spike -_- Of all the remote places to put a C4 and I happen to be there when it explodes.
Hi Yumewomiteru!
Anyway, I never get ***** by my own C4 because.....well I almost never leave it on the stage longer than probably about....15-18 second range.
:)
Also, I <3 when detonates itself @ 27 sec. and help you get out of CG or help separate the ICs. LOL :chuckle::chuckle:

Turazrok

Smash Master
If you shield drop a nade, then pick it back up, can you do aerials without chucking it?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Theres a few ways to do it.

1) Z-drop it then immediately do an aerial, you will pick up the nade with the aerial if you do it right.

2) When you use down-b to blow up your C4 (NAO!), if you buffer any aerial you will do the aerial with the nade still in hand.

3) If you use your cypher with a nade in hand and you use an aerial out of it you will do the aerial with the nade still in hand.

Theres prob other ways but thats all I know.

Or the simple shield drop, then do an aerial right in that very spot you shield dropped. That is actually the easiest way to do it.

When your on the second part of Castle Seige.....which statue is more advantageous to break for camping/spacing?
The one on the right? (by which I mean the shorter one).
I find it is better to avoid camping at the bottom, and rather camp the top. You avoid getting deathed by walk-off sides.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
nah, its always better to be under someone than above, (unless your playing against like DDD/Falco/Pikachu who can maybe cg walkoff you). Besides, Snake has a pretty powerful backthrow, so you can get a walkoff throw in too.

If you want to camp, just throw **** at the statues, eventurally they will break, plus you refresh your moves just by hitting them. But keep in mind that they are helpful too as they can also stop other chars (Falco, Fox, Link, TL) from camping you.

Wow I need to get off smashboards and start doing hmwk.

I'm doing my research while doing this. I was about to tell my teacher that SSBB would be my research but she said "What the heck is an SSBB" man that stinkzzz anyway question:

How do you deal with stupid air campers?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Oooooo thats a tough one....

I say nade camp alot, and watch them closely to see if you can pick up a pattern, then predict where they will go and bair/uar/nair that spot and hope you hit them. And if you get the opportunity place a mine somewhere, that limits the spot they can land.

But yeah air camping Snake is a legit strategy, especially if your Wario... and especially on Brinstar (Ban that stage against air campers).

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah, the way I see it is every Snake have a way to mix up their grenade game to make it uniquely theirs. Rather than me telling you how you should use nades, I think it would be better for you to learn everything you could about nades (short lob, long lob, explosion timing, b-reversal, etc) and items (z-dropping, air dodge-dropping, insta throw, etc.). Read up on the guide on the tricks you can do with grenades, I can link you if you want when I get less lazy, watch some vids of how some pro Snakes use their nades. Then just develope your own style with it. And if you see some flaws in your nade camping game (throwing nades too far, blowing yourself up too much, your opponent is throwing it back to you, etc), then find ways to correct it and refine your nade camping.

I find grenade and explosive camping to be extremely fun with Snake, I think you will too the more you play around with them. :)

lol I cant even remember what your question is after typing all that.

You know what, I'm kinda thinking seriously about making a new guide for Snake. Abit Rusty's is getting old so what do you think?

-Ran

Smash Master
You don't have any tournament experience to write anything that would be meaningful. Nappy and I are currently working on a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom