• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
how do u fight pikachus? theres this pikachu i faced a while bak and his CG was too good....he fthrowd me till i got to the ledge and then he kept doin dthrow...i couldnt pull i nade out cuz it just fell through and wouldnt land on the stage....and tht was my first pikachu btw.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Drop to double jump air dodge is ideally the best thing because you can time it so you have invincibility all the way until you land. Also if the opponent punishes you, they can only punish your landing lag which means you would have your second jump back. Idk what release means but I guess you're saying, press jump on the ledge and then double jump again and air dodge right? Not as "safe" as the first one because you won't have your second jump if they punish you in the air, but every tech has its uses.

I'm not really sure Yume. Airdoding back up onto the stage compared to ledge jumping -> air dodge really serve a lot of different functions.

If you pull away from the ledge and air dodge back up you ideally get further away from the ledge upon landing. If you FF from the ledge and air dodge back up you hardly get away where away from the ledge.

But, if you ledge jump -> air dodge, I want to say you are actually invicible the whole time except for maybe a short 5 frame period o.o

I do not want to say one is better than the other. Depends upon your situation.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
now we all know poor little ness is horrid, but i have a friend who mains snake and has trouble wth th MU against my ness. My ness is good, not great, but i usually win the MU. The MU thread has nothing on him, any tips on how to counter a good ness? thnks.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Interesting. I don't watch/play too many serious doubles. Most doubles I do are friendlies, so I'm not exactly the best partner, though I do know the basics. Post some vids to enlighten me?
lol sorry for the late reply dude, heres some stuff about it we posted in the wolf boards with vids and stuff

Ok so I'll explain basically how we do Wolf/Snake.

Like in alot of doubles teams, both players need to be very aware of their roles. We play a pretty complex strategy in that we have alot different situation that we use a certain strategy in. Basically our major goal against most combinations we play against is to get the "Walls of Elysium" going. It's basically camping in doubles.

The standard "Walls of Elysium" (Elysium is our crew before you ask), is just Wolf spamming the **** out of blaster/SH blaster and Snake lobbing grenades over the top of him. This doesn't sound like much but even in a 2v2 situation this can do some good damage to the opponents. The grenades are quite damaging by themselves as you'd already know, but the blaster adds a fair bit of unpredictability to it.

It's difficult to defend against, especially on a stage like FD, because you can pretty much have snake throwing grenades constantly, with less lag than usual, because the blaster will often hit grenades, allowing him to throw another one quickly. As I mentioned before, this also adds some unpredictability because the blaster disrupts the usual grenade timing. If someone tries to pick one up, they get hit with a blaster. If that doesn't make the 'nade explode, snake can just grenade strip, which means they take a blaster, a nade, and then potentially another blaster.

The "Walls of Elysium" is best space with snake's back to the edge. Even if somebody gets through our spam, we space ourselves so that wolf is just out of snake's utilt range. This cuts off alot of approaching options. If an opponent tries to jump over wolf, wolf uses uair, which will often force an airdodge to the ground, right into a snake utilt/ftilt. Get *****. While it's not necessary to have a ledge begind snake it does make it alot easier. HOWEVER, if snake has a mine behind him that deters opponents from going over there anyway.

A further expansion on this is to plant a c4 under wolf. The only downside to this is that Wolf must be aware of the timing and not be standing on the c4 when it explodes (duh). BUT if wolf gets a grab while standing on the c4, he can dthrow as snake detonates the c4. Wolf's hurtbox actually goes higher than the c4's hitbox can reach, so the opponent takes damage and knockback from the c4 rather than the dthrow.

If there is no c4 below wolf, he can bthrow to a snake uair or DJ nair really easily

Dthrow > Mine is lols.

We love dthorw utilt. Peopele seem to miss the tech more in doubles because there's so much going on so you can like dthrow someone accross the entire stage into a snake utilt. This can be enhanced if Wolf is stickied with a c4. Imagine dthrow, utilt, c4. :O

We also have several starting setups. Let W represent wolf, S represent snake and O represent the opponents. These setups are assuming you all start on level ground and are reasonably close like on SV or delphino or something like that.

IF: W S O O
Ftilt wall. Snake starts with an ftilt, wolf can SH blaster over snake's head (barely which is lols). This means if they try to do anything but shield, they will get hit by snake's ftilt. If they try to jump over it, they will prolly get hit by the laser, which will knock them back down into the ftilt.
This can be implemented decently on FD aswell but snake has to be a bit more careful because he'll actually need to MOVE to hit them with ftilt(god forbid).

IF: S W O1 O2
If 01 doesn't have a decent ranged attack that is also faster than wolf's ftilt, you can safely ftilt in most situations here with wolf, then go straight into "Walls of Elysium". On FD it's usually more practical to go straight into walls of Elysium.

If we don't have "Walls of Elysium" going, generally Wolf does damage while snake stock tanks, then when we get them to a decent % snake throws in an utilt, GG.

Also snake dthrow > wolf charged dsmash is good. We seem to hit that a fair bit and staling wolf's dsmash doesn't matter AS much because you have snake there to kill if necessary.

Using wolf to control the air and snake to control the ground is a good idea if you're near eachother.

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Anyway that's the basic idea...
ok heres some vids

a grand final set
matches 1 and 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XvphWxYNk (ted used wario in the second match)
matches 3 and 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iovzfxv7POE (7:24 and 8:38 for the lols)

these guys play us alot and are quite used to the "walls", however you'll notice just how effective they can be

heres some more against those guys in winners finals of the same tourney

1 and 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpU6wh9Mvfw
3 and 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BehhHgAEDI

us playing another good team http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrENrywGcQ

so yeah, that should give you some ideas
if you want a little more info go here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243990&page=4

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sorry for the double post but I thought I'd split this up to make it harder for the forever zero to miss,

so for ness, uptilt should be able to beat all his aerial approachs, if you pull a nade and shield and they do a PK thunder 2 into it, it explodes hurting ness and not snake, the ness will probably try to do running grabs alot to get that back throw kill, ftilt is good against this, but even better is pulling a nade, pressing towards or away from ness, and they pressing grab, (by pulling the nade you bait the running grab, but they you do a sliding grab out of nade stance, to or away from ness depending on which direction you press, works pretty well)

nade camping is good, and if ness try's to pk fire with a nade in front of him, it'll blow up the nade and hurt ness.

once you hit ness off stage, follow him with a nikita, and then when he does PK thunder, either hit him with the missile, or just hit the pk thunder to absorb it and let ness fall to his death. also I think you can uptilt from a ground grab release if you wanna be extra gay.

if your snake friend does these things, he should be able to win even if your 3 times better then him, simply because of how gay snake can be to ness.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
you guys are forgetting something really important about ness, if you grab him then keep on pummling him to force a gound release, youll have 10 frames advantage on him. Which means you can grab release to ftilt for a quick 21+ damage or an utilt to kill starting at 110/120.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Wait, are you ask how to pick up a grenade as soon as it's been Shield Dropped.....if so.....then simply jump and air dodge (L or R button) and you'll pick it up.
or you can do an aerial and snake will pick it up.
:)

If that's not what you mean....than I do not understand your question.

.decoy

Smash Ace
if you're talking about Z-catching then you just press z right as his hand is near the grenade. if you hold it too long snake will airdodge. also your hand has to be near it; you can't just tap z and be anywhere around it.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
ohh....I see what he's talking about no.
I don't really use that too often.

Also got a question.
My friend say that he shield drops a grenade that picks it up w/ an air dodge (i think) and can the air dodge w/ a throw.
What is he talking about?
Is it an AT?
If so......how do you do it. (button input/ explanation plz)

TY

thought i would mention this. instatrow can b used when landing. great to punish people throwing items towards your landing site. nana, bomb, turnip etc.

Xeylode said:
thought i would mention this. instatrow can b used when landing. great to punish people throwing items towards your landing site. nana, bomb, turnip etc.
That should be the answer.

Double Posting because I want attention.

What is the amount of time delayed on respawning before inviciblity is over with?

I have been toying with various ideas to prep. the stage for yourself after you KO someone. Most of the time I typically place a Mine near the edge of one side of the stage, then Mortar Slide/Dash PS under the hover craft as it appears. I want to know if trying to pull nades, charge a mortar, nikitia missle, or anything like that has enough time to prep. safely, but will not come out until the opposition has run out of frames.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
idk lol, funny thing i noticed is that invincibility wont prevent you from being launched by sonic's spring, so a good strat as sonic is to up b right when your about to land and send you in the air, that way he wont get owned when you have invincinbility frames.

idk lol, funny thing i noticed is that invincibility wont prevent you from being launched by sonic's spring, so a good strat as sonic is to up b right when your about to land and send you in the air, that way he wont get owned when you have invincinbility frames.

O.O That's what the Sonic was doing? I thought he was just an idiot.

One sonic I was playing tried doing exactly what you described. Well, they messed it up. I Baired them every time they tried to do it.

Plus, it's predictable so it can be easily counteracted and Snake's grab release is useless. Who the heck is the guy your playing against? He really needs to learn how to counteract easy things like these well... unless you did that on a CPU

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Snake's grab release is actually not useless, its useful for a few extra damage and to bring your opponent to the ledge, when you can either dthrow and limit their options when techchasing or throw them offstage and edgeguard.

I just refuse to believe that Snake and fair Falco out of a grab release. Falco can escape yoshi's grab release to fair by diing back and jumping, and Yoshi's fair is much faster than Snake's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom