• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have any tournament experience to write anything that would be meaningful. Nappy and I are currently working on a guide.
You do not really need tournament experience to be well versed. It is possible to get the experience needed to commen on these things by simply playing people. Tournaments just give you access to players.

Wifi is probably the most complete (yet impractical) way to get experience. You can find people of all skill levels and mains to play against. In your area, you are limited to just the people around you. That can get rather stale pretty quickly. However, wifi has it's faults as we all know, and you do not get the full picture of the character. Only glimpse of there true potienital. This is how it is with me. I know the characters and match-ups well enough to know what to expect because of wifi, but how to always counter it I am lacking. I also lack the technical skills to pull off some of the more difficult things.

Smashfests are also other ways to get experience in place of tournaments.

-Ran

Smash Master
A true Metagame guide for competitive Snake players. It'll have a lot of our observations from the tournaments that we've gone to. No theory crafting, etc.

You need to attend tournaments and play tournament caliber individuals to get good/great at any game. Playing with a friend that isn't competitive in the game isn't going to make you better. Wifi is a mixed bag, it'll teach the match ups in general, but there are many things that don't/do work because of it being played with lag. Berk does not have experience, everything that he writes when it comes to any match up is just a regurgitation of what has already been said.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Agreed with everything Ran Iji says, wifi is soooo much different than Offline, after playing offline only since the end of summer I played a lil wifi over thanksgiving and was like "wtf is this its sooo bad". And yeah, tournament experience > playing with your friends. Especially since you will be playing against people at the very top level, and I think thats the level that guides should try to appeal to.

I suppose I can contribute since I have tournament experience and have watched/played against top Snakes such as Fatal and Bizkit. But I suck so idk how much help I can give.

Depends who your friends are ;) If your friend happens to be Atomsk, then I think you might qualify for some serious experience :laugh:

That only fits for general trends that more skilled people join up at tournaments, but it is not always true.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
What options does Snake have against MK's tornado? I've been curious about this one..

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Depends who your friends are ;) If your friend happens to be Atomsk, then I think you might qualify for some serious experience :laugh:

That only fits for general trends that more skilled people join up at tournaments, but it is not always true.
Yeah thats true, most of my Snake experiences came from playing Fatal when he comes over to our smashfests.

So the lesson is:

host a smashfest
hope someone good shows up?

Good thing I'm going to local tourneys at 2012 since I'm going to US but for now, train, train and train

My only MU experience: Link, Kirby, MK kinda, Ice Climbers and Olimar and also Marth

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Berk you don't live in the US?

And my good MU experiences are DDD, Kirby, MK, Snake, Diddy, Gdubbs, Donkey Kong, ICs, Zelda, ZSS, Luigi, Lucario, ROB, Lucas, Samus, Jiggs, CF, Ganon

Some of the other chars like Olimar and Marth I sort of know how to play against.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Do grenades help with move degeneration at all? Like if a person gets hit by the grenade and takes 3% does that mean my other moves are getting refreshed? And is the explosion and the low % dealt by getting hit by the grenade 2 separate moves in degeneration?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
lol does nobody have the answer to my question?
Do you not know the meaning of indeed? Here, let's take a look together:

dictionary.com said:
in·deed (ĭn-dēd')
adv.

1. Without a doubt; certainly
so you asked, "Does hitting with a grenade and hitting with the grenade explosion count separately towards unstaling moves?"

He answered, "Indeed."

Now with your new found knowledge, you can see that your question was indeed answered.

=]

yes

Vorguen

Smash Champion
And since you guys are on the topic of move degeneration, someone told me it was related to button inputs. IE if you F-tilt you press A twice hence two refreshes. If you N-air you don't get 4 refreshes, you get 1.

Now onto my question.. If I hit A for the jab three times, I get three refreshes right? Well a lot of times I fast jab people when they're in my face to eat their spotdodges, and I am holding A throughout all three hits aka 1 input. Am I refreshing only 1 move now, or does it still count as 3?

Questions:

1.) I don't see a one hit move of Snake that damages 15% so I have some troubles against purple pikmin. What moves should I use?

2.) What % can U-smash kill?

3.) Is there a full-list of Snake's advanced techniques?

4.) Why is it that sometimes when Snake tries to recover, there's something pulling him down a bit?

5.) When a projectile hits Snake's cypher, can Snake recover again?

7.) Which of the 2 has a bigger hit box? Down smash or Down B?

-Ran

Smash Master
Questions:

1.) I don't see a one hit move of Snake that damages 15% so I have some troubles against purple pikmin. What moves should I use?

2.) What % can U-smash kill?

3.) Is there a full-list of Snake's advanced techniques?

4.) Why is it that sometimes when Snake tries to recover, there's something pulling him down a bit?

5.) When a projectile hits Snake's cypher, can Snake recover again?

7.) Which of the 2 has a bigger hit box? Down smash or Down B?
1) Avoid it. It has poor range and is typically just thrown. It isn't good for grabbing either. Just watch the Pikmin your opponent has in line.

2) Go into Training mode, test it yourself. I don't think the data is out there. I'd say around 145-150 with DI, since it typically hits at mid height of the stage. Realistically, you'll probably get a kill out of Upsmash maybe once every hundred to two hundred matches.

3) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207880

4) Because he's overcoming the downwards momentum. I normally jump right before cyphering to get the most out of my recovery.

5) For Snake to get the Cypher back he needs to be physically knocked out of it. Anything that accomplishes this allows him to recover again.

6) C4 has a larger functional hitbox since you can count on utilizing the underneath of it every time it is on a platform. I'd say they have about the same horizontal length, no testing has been done though.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
7) Mine has a larger horizontal range than C4 (hitbox range, not the range needed to trigger it), I didn't test it but I'm sure of it.

Another question: Who is Snake's most useful double asides from Meta Knight and who is his worst double?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Do you not know the meaning of indeed? Here, let's take a look together:

so you asked, "Does hitting with a grenade and hitting with the grenade explosion count separately towards unstaling moves?"

He answered, "Indeed."

Now with your new found knowledge, you can see that your question was indeed answered.

=]

yes
Eh? Well I never knew indeed was used in that sort ofcontext. I thought he was going more for the "indeed [that is a good question)" type of effect.

Anyway thanks. although simply saying yes would have been much shorter if you only wanted to type a one word answer ;)

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
I just got a quick lil question. When I play against a Snake when I'm someone other than him, sometimes I pick up a grenade to throw it back, but I'll just unexpectedly drop it. I'm guessing the Snake can force it somehow, can you guys explain this to me?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Another question: Who is Snake's most useful double asides from Meta Knight and who is his worst double?
I know **** about doubles but I would think Kirby works well too because he controls the air and can omnigay.

worst double is prob. ICs, if not then like Ganondorf.

ace156

Smash Apprentice
I apologize if this was posted beforehand but I was unable to find through searching or browsing a tutorial on the insta-throw.
an example would be the thread about insta-throw on the main boards, however the video included does not actually show the process of insta-throwing for the grenades. another example is the japanese video (i think posted earlier in this board?) that shows snake pulling out a grenade and then (short) shielding and immediately being able to throw the grenade as if he was holding this.

so; 1) how to insta-throw (link or explain would be awesome)
2) how to shield drop but instantly be holding the grenade (platform specific maybe?)

also if this IS explained somewhere, please just link me to it or give me an idea of where to find it.
thanks in advance

EDIT:
worst double is prob. ICs, if not then like Ganondorf.
Recently there was a tourney that occured (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176740) where the winners were a snake and ganon team combo, it was pretty **** haha

.decoy

Smash Ace
2. you basically press down then shield. the nade goes straight into snakes hand, you don't have to pick it up. this has to be done pretty quickly, but not so quickly that you spotdodge. youtube - "lolsusa".

ace156

Smash Apprentice
awesome, thank you guys for your help. I'll have to go start practicing this.

another quick question, for b-reversing grenades while airborne, is there a better way to make snake move farther when you do it?
for instance, sometimes the b-reversed nade makes me go really far while other times it doesnt. is this because of my forward aerial momentum or because of how long/hard i hold the control stick in the reversed direction?

.decoy

Smash Ace
more horizontal momentum will give a more dramatic horizontal shift.
the initial shift is not made better/worse by continuing to hold the direction, though obviously if you keep holding it after the shift you continue in that direction (making the total horizontal movement greater, assuming you continued to fall after switching directions).
but no, holding the stick does not make the shift more dramatic.

How about Snake and Falco or Snake and Jigglypuff? Are they good? It's pretty cheap with Jigglypuff because whenever I see that the enemy is 100% above, I tell the jigglypuff to make the opponent sleep then I forward-smash the opponent then boom

.decoy

Smash Ace
cool story bro

but both teams are fail.

in a competitive setting you will never get an opponent sleeping, and then if you do you won't both be able to get there in time to fsmash him without the sleeping persons's teammate stopping you. only in situations of immense fail could that even be imagined.

falco is another story...a skilled falco could be a good partner, but imo falco is a bad teams player because of his campy nature. there is just no room for him. teams doesn't allow many falco players to play to their full potential.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
And since you guys are on the topic of move degeneration, someone told me it was related to button inputs. IE if you F-tilt you press A twice hence two refreshes. If you N-air you don't get 4 refreshes, you get 1.

Now onto my question.. If I hit A for the jab three times, I get three refreshes right? Well a lot of times I fast jab people when they're in my face to eat their spotdodges, and I am holding A throughout all three hits aka 1 input. Am I refreshing only 1 move now, or does it still count as 3?
Does anyone know the answer to this?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wario is not only a good partner for snake, but the snake/wario team is up there in the best teams in the game.
mario or luigi can work too but not as effective.

also snake and wolf can work well, doesnt sound like it would be a good team but the current Australian national doubles champions are a snake/wolf combo ;) (shameless plug, since I happen to be that snake) hit me up if you wanna know how they work together.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
wario is not only a good partner for snake, but the snake/wario team is up there in the best teams in the game.
mario or luigi can work too but not as effective.

also snake and wolf can work well, doesnt sound like it would be a good team but the current Australian national doubles champions are a snake/wolf combo ;) (shameless plug, since I happen to be that snake) hit me up if you wanna know how they work together.
Interesting. I don't watch/play too many serious doubles. Most doubles I do are friendlies, so I'm not exactly the best partner, though I do know the basics. Post some vids to enlighten me?

How do you immediately grab the ledge like Ally does when he edgeguards?
If you mean where he runs off the stage and auto-snaps to the ledge that is called 'hugging' that anyone can do. It's done by pushing the character off the stage, then immediately moving your control stick down and inwards towards the stage. If done right your character will run off and auto-snap to the ledge. Much needed tactic for edgehogging.

Which is better? Drop to airdodge land or release to airdodge land?
Wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom