• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
even though i was not sure if mk should of been banned i do think if he was banned for a couple of months to see how the tournament scene looks, to advance some other characters, and to get so many people who just use them because they hear he is the best off playing him and on to other characters would of been the best decision.

I know that i am not a well know person (at least not yet) and that many more influential people have argued what i am saying i implore you to think about doing this. If you do this and then when mk comes back he proves that even after the advancement of other characters play he still dominates as he has been it might show that he is worth banning. While if when he comes back the playing field shows to be more even then banning him would be unnecessary. Everyone knows that he will always be one of the best in the game so even if you do ban him for a short time he will come back and win plus since people wont be use to him at first he might win more but i believe banning him for a couple of months would have a positive effect on this game with an increase use of underplayed characters and a all around more even playing field for everyone once they get use to mk being back in the playing field.

i also know i am late with this argument since the decision has been made but i am sure the argument of banning mk will still be brought up in the general areas of the smashboards and maybe even in the BR it will continue for some time still.

With the thought that some might think i am saying this because of the character i play I want to say bias did not play a part in my thought process. To show that i will be honest since zelda is no longer my main and that i am now a rob main but keep zelda as my 2nd since even though i am sure many disagree i feel she does well against mk so no i don't have a character bias since i feel it is winnable for me. Plus i want to note that over all i feel i might of been leaning to the non ban side but i truly feel a temporary ban would benefit most people in the smash community and only be a short annoyance for all mk mains since the ban would end after only a couple of months. So i feel this idea hurts no one but helps almost everyone who is not just a mk main

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
if someone has more credibility than another then that would be the tiebreaker
I'm personally a fan of fighting to the death, anyone with me? I've got some fencing sabers available if anyone is interested in resolving this like a gentleman.

I'm sexy, what does that count for? :p
It counts for who gets to bring the girl/guy/person of indeterminate gender home.

Otherwise sorry.

I think they realized that if that was a factor I'd be #1 in the power rankings immediately, so it just didn't work out.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Inferno, that is an awesome avvy. Sorry to repeat what everyone is saying, but its true. XD

On topic: Glad to see that the Back Roomers are against the ban. It really didn't make sense to ban a character this early in the metagame, in my opinion.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
So I hear Florida banned Falco once.

(Melee)
At the begining of melee many people wanted a shiek ban, however it was not to the degree of the MK ban proposal we have in brawl.

So it can be stated with the evidence on earlier smash, that in the begining of the metagame, one character has an easy learning curve and is very rewarding, yet once the level of competitve play gos up with time other characters are recognized to be at the same level(fox/falco in melee once wavedashing was learned) as the character that some wanted to ban at the start. And look what happened to shiek in the final melee tier list, 3rd.

So there is a chance that an AT will help some characters reach the level MK is at now, or the fact that we can now see characters that have close match-ups with MK(diddy and snake) who was thought to have perfect match-ups in the late summer.

The SBR is filled with all kinds of players from each reigion with a different stance, I believe it too early to call the MK ban, his dominace in about than half a year of release does not seem to be enough to say he is too good.

Iono, I just think that all the noobs and scrubs who actually post here and dont actually go to tourneys read these boards about MK being almst flawless when I go to tourneys and manage as DDD against MK and most knowledgebale smashers in my reigion norcal, are against this ban being avid melee players who know this system well

B_AWAL

Smash Master
FL doesn't have any problem with any characters. MK's don't win major tourneys here. It's normally a Snake.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
3-1 for no ban. YAY!!! :)

the problem with banning is that you really have to consider ALL possible options. And as we all know, that's d**n near impossible.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
BTW, MetaKnight now benefits froma new technique - standing pivot grab. You run forward, c-stcik backwards, and grab all at the same time. Olimar benefits more, but MK is one of the better characters for this technique.

EDIT: ever notice how whenever a new universal AT type thing comes out, MK is one of the characters than tends to benefit the most? This is reminiscent of the pivot techniqures that were discovered early one. It's kinda annoying.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
wow are you kidding me? lol I'm pretty sure Snake benefits a lot more from his super disjointed hitbox from pivot grab than MK does. Please show me how useful this is for MK over a different option that he already has, besides just biased theory talk (aka "the overswarm")

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
wow are you kidding me? lol I'm pretty sure Snake benefits a lot more from his super disjointed hitbox from pivot grab than MK does. Please show me how useful this is for MK over a different option that he already has, besides just biased theory talk (aka "the overswarm")
Well, aparently, the number one use is to make landing behind opponents after an approach an unsafe option. I was basing my opinion off of the opinions of Samurai after his testing. My Wii broke, so I haven't been able to test it myself yet, but here's a link to what's been discussed:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210097

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
FL would rather ban DDD than MK.
You sir, are completely incorrect. Seibrik, after just picking up MK, can beat Afro Thundah's snake and wario, without playing MK for more than 3 weeks. MK dittoes insued and seibrik lost those, so then he went his normal characters and ended up losing, but it is kinda sad that it had to be decided by a MK ditto to who would play their characters.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yeah that type of stuff happens in regions that aren't good vs MK yet.

It happened to me vs Atomsk where his never-used MK beat me in tourny in dittos, but I recently 3-0'd him when he tried it again and he does better with Dedede now since he learned the match-up.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeah that type of stuff happens in regions that aren't good vs MK yet.

It happened to me vs Atomsk where his never-used MK beat me in tourny in dittos, but I recently 3-0'd him when he tried it again and he does better with Dedede now since he learned the match-up.
Sounds like the Sonic matchup, only with a bigger learning curve.

Master Raven

Smash Master
ESAM I don't hear most people in FL *****ing about MK nowhere NEAR as much as DDD. That's why I said FL would rather ban DDD than MK. It was a tongue-in-cheek post if you really want to know.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
I read the first sentance he posted then stopped reading

that's old school melee ****ttttt

Florida

rofl

>.>
Wow I guess ignorance is truly bliss, its a comparison of a similar ban that happened to a game before brawl, which allows us to look at this MK with more information on the smash community reagrding the banning of characters. Who gives a fvck if its old, in my post I said it was old, but it is important to bring up that there was a proposal to ban shiek at the first months of melee, but as there is a proposal to ban MK in brawl but to a much lesser degree, yet still notable.
------
I think from the SMYN MK debate AZ and many other knowledgeable smashers see a small degree of tourney dominance of MK comapred to marth in large MLG melee tournies. And the fact that MK is beatable with characters that are 60:40 match-ups in MK's favor, like G&W, Falco, and DDD, (Snake and Diddy are closer than that match-up number above), and so if the top tier develops to beating MK like what happened earlier in brawl against snake, people will relax about losing to an MK and its will be slitghly less intense as it is now.
Also it is good to notes that the position of tournament players wether it be a common biweekly or smashing out of ur state, have much more knowledge and deserve much more credit than the belief of smashboard noobs, who rant but do not actually go to tournaments, who have been the majority of people backing up the MK ban. When you go to a tourney, people dont start whining and **** if they play an MK in brackets,

to tell you a real life expierience, I main DDD and went into a first tourney and played a diddy,who is a kool guys and often went to tournies before i did, who barely beat me in the first match(note this match-up is in favor of diddy), I two stocked his diddy in the second match, and then, he went MK, barely beat me as we were both on our last stock both above 85%, and I had to congragulate him on a well played match.

I was extremly close to beating a constant tourney go'ering MK on my first tourney, and knowing I was so close at beating a skilled MK in my first brawl tourney, I know that if I played in as many tournies as he did before, I could have definetly won that match, but he was a cool guy who played well, and I dont care if he used MK, and as long as im playing with norcal most knowledgeable melee/brawl smashers I know how to beat and MK and the truth is the SWF hype is a load of bull, the only people you should learn their opiion on about the pro ban side is DSF and edress, cuz they have some valid arguements

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Out of 72 people:
1: Azen Zagenite (?)
2: Chu Dat (Kirby)
3: Snakee (Zero Suit Samus)
4: Atomsk (King Dedede)
5: Ninjalink (Diddy Kong)
5: BlackWaltz (Olimar)
7: Candy (Snake)
7: Korn (Meta Knight)
9: Plarinkk (Meta Knight)
9: Hat (Kirby)
9: CK (Marth)
9: Inui (Meta Knight)
13: Alphazealot (Diddy)
13: Chinesah (Meta Knight?)
13: Shadow (Meta Knight)
13: Chillindude829 (Falco)

Azen is (?) because he used pretty much everyone-except MK I believe (for example, he beat NinjaLink in a Diddy ditto).
---

East Coast-my anti-ban.

D

Deleted member

BTW, MetaKnight now benefits froma new technique - standing pivot grab. You run forward, c-stcik backwards, and grab all at the same time. Olimar benefits more, but MK is one of the better characters for this technique.

EDIT: ever notice how whenever a new universal AT type thing comes out, MK is one of the characters than tends to benefit the most? This is reminiscent of the pivot techniqures that were discovered early one. It's kinda annoying.
I like how people think this is new, when many yoshis (and other characters for that matter), have been doing this for a long time. Mk doesnt benifit much,

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Out of 72 people:

Azen is (?) because he used pretty much everyone-except MK I believe (for example, he beat NinjaLink in a Diddy ditto).
---

East Coast-my anti-ban.

None of those can beat M2K's MK . lol

This is just like in japan where Japan Pro players loved to beat the crap out of amateurs Akuma Players but when a Pro player used akuma it was just imposible. Same happened with Gil in 3rd.

The problem with Brawl is that many considered "Pros" arent really pros, and use MK. So they say MK is beatable. but when you get Real Pros MK players like M2K its kind of frustrating watching Some Diddy getting MK to 200% but wont die cause MK just simply cant be edge guarded. And the only match he lost was cause he screwed up using F>B .

Anyway I enjoy to destroy MK scrubs who think they can play and I have studied the match up completely but the advantage is just to ridiculos for MK. now i understand why M2K changed from DDD to MK.

I think in the long run if tournament outcomes continue like this Mk will be banned. But for now lets just see what happens.

PS: this come from someone who was an MK anti ban

Fletch

Smash Master
Out of 72 people:

---

East Coast-my anti-ban.
Did Candy and Korn purposely place right next to each other?

RDK

Smash Hero
Out of 72 people:

---

East Coast-my anti-ban.
Was this recent? God I love Chudat.

And I love how Azen beat NL in a Diddy ditto. Any new progress on that naner combo?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
M2K's MK has lost sets to Azen and NinjaLink and he has lost matches to DSF, Atomsk, one to KEITARO (LMAO), so yeah...
Inui do you beat MK with consistency? wich character do you use?

Just tell me wich character were DSF and ATOM sk using. By the way i did forgot to mention DSF as a pro who uses MK and snake really good. and Please MK dittos doesnt count.

About Ninja Link well yeah he is too good with diddy but even with all that I saw the set on youtube and it was frustrating watching MK in almost 200% and not dying cause he cant be edgeguarded has to many invincibility moves and all that BS the character has.

But just in case people think Im noob I do like to fight MK and with marth. up B FTW and down B or up B against tornado . Foward b to punish all MK attacks.

Now I got an Idea If SBR wants MK so badly in brawl why not make a thread that points all MK weakness ( if he has one) and the tips and strategy for all characters against MK. like counter moves or what to use to punish X moves etc etc. then w8 for feedback of the tournaments to see if improvements are happening.

RDK

Smash Hero
Honestly Suspect, do you ever have anything useful to add to the discussion? Or do you just like being completely useless?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I aint M2K fanboy jajaj he is like a robot and has no manner and is arrogant I played with him in evo 2k7 and i aint a fan. but he wins... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom