• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
you could stand to pole jock your peeps slightly less...

just sayin...
lol but I'm not kidding.

With the exception of Mew2King being nearly unbeatable and Azen having a very high shot of beating anyone, any of those players are capable of beating any of the other players I listed. That shows a lot of near-equality in skill at the higher levels of play.

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
so i was discussing MK with some friends, and i was behind the anti ban side. they explained to me that mk was broken. i proceeded to tell them that he had several near neutral matchups, some debatable disadvantages. they pointed out that to beat mk, the game must be played very differently. regardless of who you pick you must stay on the defensive. this in itself would be "game breaking" because a character changes the way there opponent must play the game completey. "it ruins gameplay by supplanting other gameplay elements". now i understand that depending on matchups, the approach in each match is different, but vs an mk, no matter what character you pick, youre strategey must consist mainly of running away and waiting for opportunities to present temselves in MK's mistakes. i do not agree with them, but i still thought it was something interesting and worth posting. i just wanted to see what others thought about this.
no flames :p

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
so i was discussing MK with some friends, and i was behind the anti ban side. they explained to me that mk was broken. i proceeded to tell them that he had several near neutral matchups, some debatable disadvantages. they pointed out that to beat mk, the game must be played very differently. regardless of who you pick you must stay on the defensive. this in itself would be "game breaking" because a character changes the way there opponent must play the game completey. "it ruins gameplay by supplanting other gameplay elements". now i understand that depending on matchups, the approach in each match is different, but vs an mk, no matter what character you pick, youre strategey must consist mainly of running away and waiting for opportunities to present temselves in MK's mistakes. i do not agree with them, but i still thought it was something interesting and worth posting. i just wanted to see what others thought about this.
this is true for the most part. U do actually have to wait and punish him. The only char which can play somewhat normal is snake cause he can basically grenade camp everyone. Olimar i guess is another but not really.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Dude, the optimal playstyle for just about everyone in just about every match-up is camping, and camping hard, and if it's not possible the character who can't generally loses the match-up.

Granted, a few characters are pretty dedicated rushdown, but this game isn't built to advantage that playstyle (but MK is just so good it doesn't matter).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I would disagree, such is not the case usually for Diddy/Kirby/ZSS.
"Just about".

There are definate exceptions, even characters with exceptions in the majority of match-ups (you obviously cited a few, Diddy is probably one of the best examples), but overall Brawl's mechanics simply favor a defensive playstyle.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
That is the true in way to beat a real good MK u have to play defensive all the time. That is how I manage to beat MK a lot.

For instance I like to use marth although the match up is in MK favor marth has alternatives.

1- First of all I dont attack first I w8 and space a lot doing one Fair and fast falling if the MK is close I can hit him once with fair fast fall and if he tries to attack or grab I simply use jab. or counter attack with Fowrd B. I can use down A but have to be carefull cause his down A is faster and has more priority but if able to conect that lowers his shield and u can foward B him.

2- if he use the tornado when it stops fowrd B or if ur shield is down quickly Up B. that is good and can kill MK.

3- For edgeguarding u can grab edge. or w8 to how MK is going to recover
a- if he goes with tornado to come back. Up B or down B.

b- Same if he uses Up B.

c- if he tries to sweet spot foward B , use down B.

d- invincible cape depends on where he lands.

For all this you have to be sharp cause MK can gimp u for trying to edgeguard him and u lose one stock

4- Almost all the Fight ur going to have to turtle but once you manage to have the lead on % he may fall for the traps mentioned above. and almost all the fight is going to be based on Foward B with marth and real defensive.

But brawl in overall u have to play on defense. different to other fighters. That is why SRK decided to add items. to make the fight go faster since they didn't know Brawl was going to be so different compared to melee ( marvel junior)

By the way I'm from PR and here there is good Competition and gotten better. People like Zero, HDL, Myself , DSL and a few others. But PR is Small compared to the states.

But it seem NJ is where most good smash players are so I will have to visit NJ some time. Or u can all come here

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But brawl in overall u have to play on defense. different to other fighters. That is why SRK decided to add items. to make the fight go faster since they didn't know Brawl was going to be so different compared to melee ( marvel junior)
This is not true.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
He's making fun of you moron.
i saw the sarcasm, evidently you did not see mine, and it's still funny you idiot

anyone who reads my sig is not gonna no how the convo went, god ur dumb lol

EDIT: i just remembered, are you not that person that was getting banned from Grandezas sig shop a while back or some other sig shop. I think you are and now i know why

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Dude, the optimal playstyle for just about everyone in just about every match-up is camping, and camping hard, and if it's not possible the character who can't generally loses the match-up.

Granted, a few characters are pretty dedicated rushdown, but this game isn't built to advantage that playstyle (but MK is just so good it doesn't matter).
I rush everyone down with everyone except GW (even then i do it sometimes). I dont really camp anyone. The only time u have to play defensive(to me), is when ur attacks get beat out altogether. U have to be defensive always against MK because of the random tornado. Even then he gets rushed ^_^

RDK

Smash Hero
i saw the sarcasm, evidently you did not see mine, and it's still funny you idiot

anyone who reads my sig is not gonna no how the convo went, god ur dumb lol

EDIT: i just remembered, are you not that person that was getting banned from Grandezas sig shop a while back or some other sig shop. I think you are and now i know why
The hell? Who is Grandeza?

if its not true then why they put items.
They put items in because the SRK management didn't feel the need to ban them from play on Brawl's first run through EVO. They justified it as "stage control" and left it in for the sake of a larger attendance.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Someone who kept posting in red with a falco avatar was not allowed in his shop cuz they were trolling and being dumb. Guess thats why i thought it was you, my bad

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
I rush everyone down with everyone except GW (even then i do it sometimes). I dont really camp anyone. The only time u have to play defensive(to me), is when ur attacks get beat out altogether. U have to be defensive always against MK because of the random tornado. Even then he gets rushed ^_^
This...

Is how you play Brawl...

imo

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Guys, you must also take into account that melee had like 5-7 years to develop strategies and then counters to said strategies. Brawl has been out for LESS THAN 1 YEAR. Eventually people will find counters to MK's strategies, or MK will discover new and completely broken strategies, as the first post says. Give the game time to develop in order to ban somebody. MK isn't dominating enough to get banned; yet.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
characters whose offensive options are better than their defensive options usually cannot win by camping

peach, sheik, diddy, pikachu, squirtle come to mind

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Dude, you can get away with it because you're NinjaLink.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Every Diddy player can get away with it.
I know, talking about him rushing with everybody against everybody. I mentioned previously there are some characters where it's the best playstyle, but rushing is certainly not an optimal strategy for everyone, or even the majority of the cast.

*watches vid of NinjaLink fighting Rykoshet using Zelda*

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I know, talking about him rushing with everybody against everybody. I mentioned previously there are some characters where it's the best playstyle, but rushing is certainly not an optimal strategy for everyone, or even the majority of the cast.

*watches vid of NinjaLink fighting Rykoshet using Zelda*
I rushed him down on that 3rd vid. Hence the 2 stock MA d00d :laugh:

Btw Soul Calibur 4 was out shorter than brawl but yet they banned Al Gol because he can only be beated by 2 characters.

And yes there is strats against MK. I'm tryin to help out with that in the char threads.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Kilik and Hilde because they have range. Al Gol has Bubble Walling and only those 2 can attack through it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea basically if Al Gol does it right no one can touch him except those characters.........think about the situation we have now......just saying

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Btw Soul Calibur 4 was out shorter than brawl but yet they banned Al Gol because he can only be beated by 2 characters.
Algol was banned because he turned the game into "move around the bubbles" and running the clock was way too easy. He lost to Kilik and had plenty of match-ups where he could lose, but he made the game too gay.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yea basically if Al Gol does it right no one can touch him except those characters.........think about the situation we have now......just saying
Algol was banned because he turned the game into "move around the bubbles" and running the clock was way too easy. He lost to Kilik and had plenty of match-ups where he could lose, but he made the game too gay.
It's really funny to think of all these scrubs complaining about the Tornado when you hear something like that :laugh:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
The tornado doesn't turn the game into a stupidly boring process of dodging bubbles and it doesn't make running the clock extremely easy to do. I don't think Algol and MK are comparable.

Agent P

Smash Rookie
Truly, Banning a character isn't going to move the game forward >_>
Yeah he's cheap but, w/e doesnt mean we should ban him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom