• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
There's no way Diddy is top tier. He has too many bad match-ups and he has to many flaws to be exploited on. Although, with the rate the Diddy players are developing his metagame (single nana lock, ground tossing, tech chasing chaingrabs, peanutgun canceling, etc.) he is easily heading that way. Thanks AZ for not giving me any credit with the single nana lock >.>, here's a video of me doing with a mini tutorial in the description for anyone who wants a video (Note that I'm purposely taking this slow in the video but test have been done and you can't esape it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd84oApOEoc

Also, this is inescapable when done correctly and is an infinite on walls.

I agree with OS that NL ROB is good but not Z0MG T0op T13er poownage. NL is an amazing player and no brawl mechanics better than he knows the character, which, I think is better than knowing the character.

Too soon to ban MK, metagame for most characters are starting to evolve, it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Learn 2 play Diddy Pro Mk banners
Diddy is top tier imo and he hardly has any bad matchups and the ones he does have are at worse 6:4 like peach and falco.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Diddy is top tier imo and he hardly has any bad matchups and the ones he does have are at worse 6:4 like peach and falco.
amd u clearly kno nothin about diddy. Peach isnt a horrible matchup. Its in her favor slightly but not by much.

RDK

Smash Hero
What is it with people pulling random matchup ratios out of their *****?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
There's no way Diddy is top tier. He has too many bad match-ups and he has to many flaws to be exploited on. Although, with the rate the Diddy players are developing his metagame (single nana lock, ground tossing, tech chasing chaingrabs, peanutgun canceling, etc.) he is easily heading that way. Thanks AZ for not giving me any credit with the single nana lock >.>, here's a video of me doing with a mini tutorial in the description for anyone who wants a video (Note that I'm purposely taking this slow in the video but test have been done and you can't esape it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd84oApOEoc

Also, this is inescapable when done correctly and is an infinite on walls.

I agree with OS that NL ROB is good but not Z0MG T0op T13er poownage. NL is an amazing player and no brawl mechanics better than he knows the character, which, I think is better than knowing the character.

Too soon to ban MK, metagame for most characters are starting to evolve, it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

U never saw my ROB in person so u cant say how good my ROB is. I kno my characters so u dont kno what ur talkin about. Knowing brawl mechanics better than i kno the character doesnt even sound right. I usually know more about their character than the mains do so u cant judge me unless u played me.

This topic isnt about me in the first place. Stay on topic ppl.

pockyD

Smash Legend
He said diddy has like no bad matchups. Definitely not true. If it was i would main him and use no one else.
then that's the explanation you should have provided -_-

instead...

amd u clearly kno nothin about diddy. Peach isnt a horrible matchup. Its in her favor slightly but not by much.
... it just sounds like you were agreeing with him

D

Deleted member

Well, I better start MK training he's just my secondary now but I can improve. I'm in favor of the ban but i guess I'm happy an official decisions out.

CO18

Smash Hero
Did I say peach is a horrible matchup? Basically you're just backing up what I was stating that he has few bad matchups and I knew that Peach and Falco were two of them.

I also said theyre probably at worse 6:4 not that they were.

Just sayin.

Player-1

Smash Legend
U never saw my ROB in person so u cant say how good my ROB is. I kno my characters so u dont kno what ur talkin about. Knowing brawl mechanics better than i kno the character doesnt even sound right. I usually know more about their character than the mains do so u cant judge me unless u played me.
I agree with OS that NL ROB is good but not Z0MG T0op T13er poownage
Also, I don't need to see your ROB in person to know how good it is. Although, i do need to play your ROB in order to compare us which I'm not comparing in this case...

I was stating that he has few bad matchups and I knew that Peach and Falco were two of them.
Falco is more like 7:3 in Falco's favor, Peach is probably 6.5:3.5 Peach's favor. TL has an advantage over diddy, not a strong one though, I'd say Marth has one as well, like 5.5:4.5. Lucario and DK have an advantage at 6:4 about. Luigi has just as great as an advantage as the Peach match-up or better. MK has the advantage obviously, although Diddy is rising up fast to be the counter to MK. Wario has a 6:4 advantage or maybe 5.5:4.5 about. Olimar has a pretty good advantage, probably 6:4 or 6.5:3.5. There are probably more, but none I can think of at this point.

Also, like I said before, Diddy has flaws that can be capitalized on GREATLY when done correctly. There's just no way he is top tier.

This topic isnt about me in the first place. Stay on topic ppl.

CO18

Smash Hero
Also, I don't need to see your ROB in person to know how good it is. Although, i do need to play your ROB in order to compare us which I'm not comparing in this case...

Falco is more like 7:3 in Falco's favor, Peach is probably 6.5:3.5 Peach's favor. TL has an advantage over diddy, not a strong one though, I'd say Marth has one as well, like 5.5:4.5. Lucario and DK have an advantage at 6:4 about. Luigi has just as great as an advantage as the Peach match-up or better. MK has the advantage obviously, although Diddy is rising up fast to be the counter to MK. Wario has a 6:4 advantage or maybe 5.5:4.5 about. Olimar has a pretty good advantage, probably 6:4 or 6.5:3.5. There are probably more, but none I can think of at this point.

Also, like I said before, Diddy has flaws that can be capitalized on GREATLY when done correctly. There's just no way he is top tier.
Umm Well theres some contradiction here considering NL just said Peach BARELY has the advantage in the matchup.

What proof do you have that the matchup is 7:3 In falco's Favor? I do recall seeing NL 2-0 Chillin's Falco.
I also do recall seeing Advent lee(Nonranked fl player) 2-0 Tommy G's Falco(ranked fl player) in tourney on saturday.
There needs to be proof otherwise, random people making matchup charts do not supply accurate rankings.
As I said he only has a few bad matchups and the ones he does are probably not past 6:4.

also 55:45 is considered a Neutral matchup.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Umm Well theres some contradiction here considering NL just said Peach BARELY has the advantage in the matchup.

What proof do you have that the matchup is 7:3 In falco's Favor? I do recall seeing NL 2-0 Chillin's Falco.
I also do recall seeing Advent lee(Nonranked fl player) 2-0 Tommy G's Falco(ranked fl player) in tourney on saturday.
There needs to be proof otherwise, random people making matchup charts do not supply accurate rankings.
As I said he only has a few bad matchups and the ones he does are probably not past 6:4.

also 55:45 is considered a Neutral matchup.
Yes, and I do recall the countless other diddy players losing to all the other Falco players out there. Just because 2 great players beat 2 other great players in a match does not mean that we have an advantage or any less of a disadvantage. I've seen Reflex stomp our best Falco, D3, and Marth in GA but that does not mean CF has an advantage against these characters or has any less of a disadvantage.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yes, and I do recall the countless other diddy players losing to all the other Falco players out there. Just because 2 great players beat 2 other great players in a match does not mean that we have an advantage or any less of a disadvantage. I've seen Reflex stomp our best Falco, D3, and Marth in GA but that does not mean CF has an advantage against these characters or has any less of a disadvantage.
I didn't say you have an advantage.

But you don't have solid proof that the matchup is 70:30 unless you take 2 players of equal skill and the Falco wins 70% of the matches.

Its just hear-say.

I could just as easily say Diddy has a 9:1 advantage on Falco and I would actually have proof considering the best example of 2 people with relatively same skill are NL and chillin and the falco got 2-0ed in the situation.

Just saying.

Count

Smash Champion
I think it is being explained wrong.

Diddy has lots of bad matchups, the thing is that none of them are that bad.

He has lots of bad matchups, but most of them are like 6-4 or maybe 65-35 at worst.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's what he initially said. it's not his fault that people can't read or respond properly

except that he used "at worse" instead of "at worst" (multiple times too) which may or may not have been confusing

Player-1

Smash Legend
I didn't say you have an advantage.
or any less of a disadvantage.
But you don't have solid proof that the matchup is 70:30 unless you take 2 players of equal skill and the Falco wins 70% of the matches.

Its just hear-say.

I could just as easily say Diddy has a 9:1 advantage on Falco and I would actually have proof considering the best example of 2 people with relatively same skill are NL and chillin and the falco got 2-0ed in the situation.

Just saying.
So you're saying that the math-ups have to be a tournament match? Let's say, hypothetically, that no Diddy mainer and Falco mainer have ever played eachother in a tournament match. Just by friendlies or MM results we can determine that Falco has the advantage over Diddy, will it be as accurate as tournament matches? No of course not, but we didn't have any tournament results to look at at the time. Now let's look at it in the real smash scence. There are FAR less Diddy players than there are Falco players so it'd be hard for me to go out and get tournament reults of where John Smith's Falco beat Joe Johnson's Diddy in the second round of a 150+ attendance tournament. Although I don't have proof, I can certainl tell you this has happened our of memory. If you want me to record every match I go to between some random diddy and some random falco player in a tournament for these reults, I certainly will.

CO18

Smash Hero
So you're saying that the math-ups have to be a tournament match? Let's say, hypothetically, that no Diddy mainer and Falco mainer have ever played eachother in a tournament match. Just by friendlies or MM results we can determine that Falco has the advantage over Diddy, will it be as accurate as tournament matches? No of course not, but we didn't have any tournament results to look at at the time. Now let's look at it in the real smash scence. There are FAR less Diddy players than there are Falco players so it'd be hard for me to go out and get tournament reults of where John Smith's Falco beat Joe Johnson's Diddy in the second round of a 150+ attendance tournament. Although I don't have proof, I can certainl tell you this has happened our of memory. If you want me to record every match I go to between some random diddy and some random falco player in a tournament for these reults, I certainly will.
Again its just hear-say. Unless you provide proof of a falco and diddy player of equal skill and the falco winning 70% of the matches theres no real case for that matchup ratio
other than just theory.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Again its just hear-say. Unless you provide proof of a falco and diddy player of equal skill and the falco winning 70% of the matches theres no real case for that matchup ratio
other than just theory.
My brain has turned to much right now, i just got done typing half a paper for my language arts class and I can't find the right words for my respone so I can't give a response to that part right now, BUT I can say this. You are saing that the match-up is about 6:4, then you'd also need more proof than NL beating Chillin and Advent beating whats his face or you're saying the match up is 8:2 in diddy's favor

Inui

Banned via Warnings
wtf no

Diddy can't possibly have anything worse than 60/40 with the amazing tools and attributes the game gives him.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This isnt true either. I seen Azen play diddy at C3 alot. He glidetosses to grabs and such. U can look on youtube for C3 vids.
YAY! I'm referring to older videos of his Diddy I guess, you probably saw the topic in the Diddy forums like a month ago.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
that sounds almost exactly like what he just said
i have to agree with you. stop hating on CO18 lol

Ignorance is like butter, except it isn't. It's more like not knowing ****.
was that supposed to be clever? :lick:

edit: i love how OS has been slowly turning into a troll since the start of this whole ban thing.

at the beginning i actually was nuetral, and was legitimately listening to the arguments and took it seriously, and i was slightly pro ban for a while (although i hate admitting that). i had started playing meta among some other disputed matchup characters before during the summer.

the fact that i was beating allot of people with a char i barely used was disturbing. However i progressed and got good, and by good ill say that i was placing decently in irl tournaments edit with good people in them xD.
from my own personal experience, taking this character into high level play against top players you realize that he is not as good as people say he is. at low levels of play he is **** broken, yes. anyone can get through "scrub rounds" with meta at a tourny.
but try to do any of this to a Good kirby (atomsk, switched to oli now though i believe), olimar (blackwaltz), Falco (D1), ZSS (snakeee). I listed these names because i have played them all irl, friendly's or tourny in these matchups. but more importantly because they arent just diddys and snakes.

the ban argument is getting worse everyday. and its kinda sad, i would probably place better without metas (looks at teh spammer, inui, m2k, shadow >_<)

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Banning character's is not always the right decision, he does have weaknesses like every character does. The best way to learn how to beat MK is to learn from the experience of previous defeats, then you're able to look for your weaknesses that MK has an advantage over and work around it or even possibly use that as an unexpected advantage. MK is not impossible, he's just a little harder to understand. But that's the point huh? It's always fun to try and figure out what to do about it.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I hate to move the conversation backwards, but after watching that video of Diddy's new lock and reading some of the debate about it, I decided to try it out for myself. I hope that this next part goes without saying, but every video I've seen of this being done has the technique being performed TOO SLOWLY to be inescapable. Just listening to the rhythm of the controller clicks in one of the videos and comparing them with my own makes me pretty certain of this. I'm not sure if video slowing down is common with whatever you guys are using to record, but after doing some tests with this myself I'm certain that if a human were holding up on the analog stick while someone did Diddy's lock at that speed, they'd escape without a problem.

Like I said, HOPEfully that was said somewhere and I just didn't read it. Now, I'd like to say that through the limited testing I've done, I'm 99% sure that when performed up to speed this lock is inescapable on Metaknight and that it's HIGHLY likely that it can be inverted without allowing the opponent to escape. To test this, I just took some string and tied the analog stick on the second controller in the UP position while I attempted to do the lock. I was able to lock Metaknight all the way across the width of Shadow Moses without him standing up(which he did rather quickly). I managed to invert the process only once without the aid of a wall, however, so I feel like that would need more testing.

I hope to be able to get a video of this at full speed up sometime soon, but as the Ganon boards will tell you, I'm too busy to do mostly anything. So if anyone else wants to record this lock being done against an opponent that's TRYING TO STAND UP, be my guest.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Doesn't mean the human opponent knew what he was doing.

Either way, the more thoroughly something is tested, the more credibility it has. I still don't think OS is genuinely convinced yet...Plus I'm bored at the moment.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Hylian's already done it against a human opponent, I think. And he pulled off the infinite perfectly.

Smooth Criminal
The video Hylian posted only seems to have the Meta Knight controlled to get in position for the lock. It's hard to tell if he does anything to try and escape it. Unless he's posted another that I missed.

RDK

Smash Hero
I feel exhausted just looking back on the pages in both of these threads. I must have gained 50 posts just today over ridiculous ban discussions.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Doesn't mean the human opponent knew what he was doing.

Either way, the more thoroughly something is tested, the more credibility it has. I still don't think OS is genuinely convinced yet...Plus I'm bored at the moment.
The video Hylian posted only seems to have the Meta Knight controlled to get in position for the lock. It's hard to tell if he does anything to try and escape it. Unless he's posted another that I missed.
Both are QFT.

Smooth Criminal

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Starting march 9th, Houston tx i will ban metaknight forever. I hope my actions will make other cities jump on this wagon......i hope

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Starting march 9th, Houston tx i will ban metaknight forever. This makes texas/new mexico/Nj a brotherhood.
This only applies to Houston. Other tournaments in Texas will not ban MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom