• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ReFormation of the Smash Back Room (Brawl)

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Speaking of Sonic Mains I'm not sure Boxob. should be dragging his ban evading name out in public.

...oops.

I'm a little slow in coming across this, haven't been to the DBD so close to the Christmas season, was mostly sticking to my regional threads. I like the new leadership lineup seems like we got some varied regions and opinions in charge and the mix up in the back room should keep it from getting stale and out of touch, a real concern that has been with the community for a while. I've read many members upset with the possibility of Melee only players getting to have an opinion on Brawl rules and other things concerning the new game, so this seems to clear all that up for everyone.

M.K

Level 55
So a board that 99% of us can't even see just had more people locked out of it.

Thank you?
You really shouldn't complain. With the recent purge of people from the Smash Back Room, only the best of the best are left, thus we can have the utmost confidence in the rules and standards of competitive SSBB that they decide upon.
In other words, be GLAD they purged the members who weren't contributing, even if it doesn't apply to you directly, it DEFINETLY applys to you indirectly.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
You really shouldn't complain. With the recent purge of people from the Smash Back Room, only the best of the best are left, thus we can have the utmost confidence in the rules and standards of competitive SSBB that they decide upon.
In other words, be GLAD they purged the members who weren't contributing, even if it doesn't apply to you directly, it DEFINETLY applys to you indirectly.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

TP

Smash Master
I have no idea what you're talking about.
The SBR decides the guidelines for tournament organizers to follow. Ideally, only the people who understand Brawl the most get to make these guidelines. This purge removed those who were not at the peak of understanding the game or the community. Therefore, this change theoretically leads to a better ruleset, which affects all of us.

...Unless you're a noob and know nothing of tournaments or competitive Brawl in general.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hmm.

With the seeming 'purge' of the SBR, we probably won't be able to quote certain posts and make fun of the SBR anymore.

I like when Sonic's try to use their neutral B to recover, all you have to do is dodge and it sends them at a downward angle.

Past that, Sonic is pretty bad. Doesn't his dash attack go over Diddy Bananas, without picking them up.

Though, OS is still in it <3.

Tenki should be in the SWF. Just look up his serious posts, FILLED WITH INFO!

:093:
I'm already in the SWF.

:laugh:

Zhamy

Smash Champion
We have that already and nobody cares what the n00bs say. Noone's advocating that the SBR be made public; just read-only.
Problem is that we'll get a bunch of threads saying "SBR should _______" Or "SBR's decision on _____ is stupid."

More transparent is fine, but meh.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Problem is that we'll get a bunch of threads saying "SBR should _______" Or "SBR's decision on _____ is stupid."
We have those already. Opening the SBR would only allow those same people to actually read the reasons the SBR comes to the decisions they do. I doubt many of them even will, regardless, since the ppl who post such nonsense are generally of the limited-attention-span variety, IMHO. So with read-only SBR, what we're left with is simply win: those who pursue knowledge have access to it, whether they're scrubs or not.

That's just an argument, for argument's sake, really. I've never strongly advocated that the whole SBR be made read-only, although I'd like them to open up more stuff than they do. However I'd always assumed they had better reasons for being private than (m)any of the reasons that've been posted here. lulz :) I'll just hold my tongue until I'm given some of the official reasons the SBR's private; for which I'm now quite curious.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I wanted to bring back up the back room topic.

Truthfully, all the arguments against opening the back room have been the same: to many topics about the back room. Truthfully, I think this was and still is a very poor reason. The problem is that it is a minor problem at best that is overblown by some. This will not create more problems, but only expose the problems that have always persisted, threads are looked. The problem is not a new one, but it has never been solved. Too many, the real issue is not the opening of the back room, but the fact that there are too many locked threads to begin with. Basically, no one should feel like we are adverting a crisis. The problem is still there, this is just the scapegoat.

Now, in contrast, there have been many good reasons to open it. Perhaps the best is that it allow the community to see how things are being decided. The problem the Brawl players have with the back room is they are polarized from their decisions. They disagree. This will help solve that. Additionally, this will do the same thing the presidential debates are suppose to do. It will allow the community to get an idea of which side they wish to support. Overall, it makes a better community.

Lastly, I must say that if the back room is not viewable, then there is no need. The back room only has influence, not power. They can only suggest. Many have complained that there isn't enough information given with each decision. If the board's purpose is to suggest, then it needs to be viewable. If it is now viewable, then it becomes much harder for anyone to get a educated reason why or why not. If there is not enough power behind the suggestion or the community has problems understanding it, then there has been nothing accomplished.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I agree. They should let everyone with, say, 1000 posts be able to just look at it without adding replies. Just to make sure any idiot can't stumble in there. Gotta put in your time a little first.

Right now, it seems to me like the "Smashback" room is just a little club for the people who've been here forever to feel cool in. Something they get that everyone else doesn't. Which doesn't really bother me, I only heard of it's existence when I saw this thread. But I can imagine all of the people who've made tons of worthwhile posts and helped smashbros, they feel shafted because they have to "enter a submission" and "get selected" by other users (extremely biased) to view a certain board. Like I said, it doesn't offend me, but it seems really backwards.

TP

Smash Master
I think the SBR should remain hidden completely. Opening it doesn't seem necessary, and there are good reasons to keep it from being readable. The main problem (in my opinion) is that the SBR doesn't make unanimous decisions. They reach a conclusion, but they get there by disagreeing with each other, and not everyone in the SBR will be happy with the results. If that were visible to the public, people would be less willing to accept the outcome. Those who disagree with some aspect of the ruleset would become louder about it, saying "2 of the 27 SBR members saw it this way, that means it is a legit option." Conclusions are made for a reason: the community needs a standard. Letting us see disagreements inside the decision making body makes the conclusion less credible.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
As much as i'd be curious on what Broomers actually discuss from time to time, i'm well content not knowing. There's two things I will say though

1) It would be nice to be a slight bit more descriptive and elaborate on the tier list. Such as what was the thought and reasoning behind the changes in ranks. (Tier list will change an change over continuously in due time)

2) A few of the character boards, when the Broomers discussed the character overall (Has been a good while back) . I was thinking wts, that's all?

It's over an done with now, And I don't really care about it. It just gave me the impression that alot of people don't really understanding anything decently worthwhile is all. And just released garbage, not things you'd expect reading from soneone supposedly knowledgable on Brawl.. Hopefully that's changed with this so called purge..

Anyway. Good luck to everyone who's applying for the position.,

Fino

Smash Master
Is there a single Olimar main BRoomer? We need one =) AndyG or Fino would be good lolz
True true... I'll have to rev up me resume.... hopefully the midwest circuit championships will boost me. I do think knowledgeable mains of each character should be in there.
Which bring me to:
Whenever I see new videos of Anther and Ankoku, I see SamuraiPanda using Olimar.
I've watched recent vids of samurai panda's olimar, they make me cringe sometimes. Granted... he's got a good start, but.... nvrm haha.

Guess I'll have to get crackin'

~Fino

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Mmac FTBroom.
You want it too, don't deny it.

Kick out M2K, he's only in it for the money and doesn't give a crap about Brawl

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman

True true... I'll have to rev up me resume.... hopefully the midwest circuit championships will boost me. I do think knowledgeable mains of each character should be in there.
Which bring me to:

I've watched recent vids of samurai panda's olimar, they make me cringe sometimes. Granted... he's got a good start, but.... nvrm haha.

Guess I'll have to get crackin'

~Fino

I agree Fino. Get one person off every character. Would really become beneficial in the longrun.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
so does this mean that we are getting a new tier list on the 5th or wait till june 1st? like disscusion is gonna start on the 5th and end on june 1st is what im really asking. haha

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If we're interpreting it right, and assuming the false SBR doesn't pull a Sakurai, it's coming on the 5th.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
Maybe instead of leaving the room view only they could maybe every quarter. Have you know like a Press Conference where they would be able to tell users what they have been doing and what they are planning to do in the future.

This way users have a way of asking questions they might have in a nice formal format instead of just P.M a member they could ask the whole back room which would get better results.

I think this would help in fixing some of the problems people have with the BR right now. I know I would be happy just with some more in site of what is happening.

You don't have to tell me everything a matter of fact I could care less if you did. Just having a general Idea of what is happening is good.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
If we're interpreting it right, and assuming the false SBR doesn't pull a Sakurai, it's coming on the 5th.
Correct, the new list will be up at some point today! The new SBR Ruleset is slated for at some point in January though. But the sexiness that is the Tier list will be gracing the world today.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Correct, the new list will be up at some point today! The new SBR Ruleset is slated for at some point in January though. But the sexiness that is the Tier list will be gracing the world today.
Oh boo.

I was looking forward to the new stage list... :ohwell:

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
With the seeming 'purge' of the SBR, we probably won't be able to quote certain posts and make fun of the SBR anymore.
:laugh:
To be fair, I actually meant the forward b / Side b, but said the dash attack in error. They can go over bananas, which is neat, but not something I actually need to remember; as there's no point in which I will be choosing to play as Sonic against a Diddy.

But don't worry, I'm still in both of the SBR's.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Now that there has been a purging of Smash Back Room members for Brawl, can you do a re-vote on if MetaKnight should be restricted? I heard that some of those who voted had little to do with Brawl or hadn't even attended any Brawl tournaments.
I believe in what's best for the community, a revote on the MetaKnight issue should be in order, just as the tier list and the recommended rules have been reworked with the new community.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Not that it matters, but why "SBR-B"?

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...

Why not Brawl Back Room?

BBR?

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
How many are allowed to be let in every 4th month? I don't think a limit is exactly beneficial in regards to the board. If you would normally accept someone, they should be accepted. I can understand that, if you have a significant amount of people who you would have no problem accepting, drawing a border at one point would be fine, but do it by a logically placed 'percentile' and not a static number.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Ahh, I was wondering why my name wasn't purple. I thought it had something to do with the banning. I guess the real reason was that I couldn't make the cut?

I hope it has more to do with my lack of posting in the BRoom, and not my merits as a smasher/Brawler. I'd find it easy to disagree with the latter if that was the case. Either way, I'll apply again when it's time.

Browny

Smash Hater
This is a good idea... but its not there yet. Especially when current SBRB members who voted on the tier lists dont even play the game, it seems like they are only in there because of melee history

sbrb member said:
i haven't played brawl in a really long time

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means they don't have alot of brawl experience, it doesn't remove the rest of their experience as a whole.

I am interested in trying to join the SBR-B but, I don't play in alot of tournaments and could think of better qualified people.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
To be fair, I actually meant the forward b / Side b, but said the dash attack in error. They can go over bananas, which is neat, but not something I actually need to remember; as there's no point in which I will be choosing to play as Sonic against a Diddy.

But don't worry, I'm still in both of the SBR's.
Don't worry ignatius, people only bring it up cause its funny not because they think you were serious. Least I didn't.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
It seems like smash is falling apart rather than coming together at times. Just saying, no one respond to this just throwing 2cents out their.

Top Bottom