• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Peach Q & A Thread

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
When, they SDI my Dair when I short hop them, it makes it easier to uptilt them. I do this all the time. I can even get an upsmash from it.

Xyless

Smash Master
Exactly. You have more options and are less vulnerable if you just SH it. Plus, if they don't SDI it, then you can do a nair just before landing.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
When, they SDI my Dair when I short hop them, it makes it easier to uptilt them. I do this all the time. I can even get an upsmash from it.
Agreed, or if your looking to send em off edge after short hop dair you could float cancel double nair em.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
The only thing is, can't you get a better shield advantage if you float at a precise height and autocancel perfectly? This can't be done with a normal short hop. If the first hit of the dair hits, keep on floating, otherwise drop or DI away.

Oh and sh dair, DI behind player to float to perfectly autocanceled bair/nair gives a ridiculous shield advantage and is unpunishable vs many chars without fast shield options (or player without good relfexes).

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Floating slows you down and some characters uptilts can hit you for this. Short hop makes you faster and lets you reach quicker than floating. You speed in increases in:

-Pressure
-Spacing
-combat
-evasion

Don't think you can't space moves while you short hop. Cause you can.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Short hopping the aerial is about 6 frames faster compaired to floating at a nice height, bacause you can't buffer the aerial. The disadvantage is that floating dair can be autocanceled perfectly and floats aerial exceleration is high, meaning its safer to whiff. SH dair takes more momentum from a dash, making it easier to land behind a shield.

Is it easier to combo of a float?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
The problem with both of those is for Floating Dairs, they can be DI'ed out of and even if you move away from the sheild, people can still jump out and chase you. As for SH Dairs, I agree they are safer but some people may jump up higher and hit Peach where the Dair isn't. Also, its risky SH Dairing and trying to land behind the sheild, chances are the Dair will push them back and you won't actually end up behind them, which leaves you vunerable to getting grabbed

Btw, if you use a SH Dair as you jump, it finishes before you touch the ground so technically, you don't need to autocancel it cause its not there lol. You can also go into a Float from doing a SH Dair

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
I agree that it makes your game faster and less predictable overall. But floats aerial exceleration makes it easier to space and combo at low percentages.

Btw, if you use a SH Dair as you jump, it finishes before you touch the ground so technically, you don't need to autocancel it cause its not there lol. You can also go into a Float from doing a SH Dair
But ideally you want to land on the soonest possible autocanceling frame, for the least amount of time to get punished. This can only be accomplished with float.

The momentum that a dash provides will always gives you enough momentum to land behind a shield with a sh dair. Float can't do this.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So does short hopping moves. but here is the different. When I short hop my moves, I won't get uptitled so easy as if I was to float. That is what I am telling you, Floating is not that hard to hit Peach out of anymore these days. it's generic and all people see. They know how to deal with this. Every time a Peach does this I just uptilt out of shield. Characters like Snake and Marth get get her for this. And characters with projetiles can abuse her for it like Samus Link, TL. meta Can up-B her OoS when she does this.

That floating all the time for combos is typical and will get you beat up.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
I agree that it makes your game faster and less predictable overall. But floats aerial exceleration makes it easier to space and combo at low percentages.

But ideally you want to land on the soonest possible autocanceling frame, for the least amount of time to get punished. This can only be accomplished with float.

The momentum that a dash provides will always gives you enough momentum to land behind a shield with a sh dair. Float can't do this.
But both are equally detrimental on wiffs, so it comes to the situation and your preference IMO

Xyless

Smash Master
I swear I was one of the only Peaches that hated floating back before KOS-MOS made it cool to SH dair. Granted that was back when I was using Wiimote/nunchuk so I didn't really float as much back then.

Metatitan

Smash Master
SH Dair is harder to SDI out of than floating Dair. Btw if they SDI your Dair they'll probably Uair or Nair during it so you'll actually get punished instead of finding a follow up.

Floating Dair does have its merits though, while its not as good as SH for comboes or OoS, it does offer a better position for shield pressure than SH (opponent dependent of course).

I agree that SH Dair is better than Floating it.
Imo, Float makes her far more vulnerable in the air compared to SH.
The main differenece though is that Float can act as a means to approach. SH Dair really only works when you are really close.

At least that is how I have come to view it.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I feel uncomfortable using Float as an approach, honestly.
I feel like Peach's body is more restricted and open to attacks.
I mean it has it's uses as an approach but nowadays it's just not really a good option compared to other methods of approaching.

That's just my opinion though.

I feel uncomfortable using Float as an approach, honestly.
I feel like Peach's body is more restricted and open to attacks.
I mean it has it's uses as an approach but nowadays it's just not really a good option compared to other methods of approaching.

That's just my opinion though.
I'm just saying generically it is a decent approach. There are many characters you would not want to stay very floaty against. Meta Knight will eat through you everytime, or marth will space you to death. Float in itself gives more than enough options that you can mix in a Float Dair here and there. Fair is a good enough spacing tool. Turnips are an excellent means of being able to get in close to exchange a few blows. So when Float Dair is mixed in with Fairs, turnip throws, dash attacks, Shieldgrab, peach bomber, rolls, dodges and probably a few other methods I missed, Float Dair becomes a pretty valid approach. It is not the best to be used all the time and against every character.

SH Dair, I really can never see being a valid option to approach, only in close areas of fighting would I ever do it.

Question: Can Dtilt be a decent option to punish landing? Occasionally, I have used it for this purpose and ended up spiking them into the ground.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To put this simple. There is times when to float and times to Short hop. Thing is, people never seem to know or realize when to use what, and mostly stick to the generic floating game with Peach. And get beat up for it. People need to learn when to switch up and why.

To put this simple. There is times when to float and times to Short hop. Thing is, people never seem to know or realize when to use what, and mostly stick to the generic floating game with Peach. And get beat up for it. People need to learn when to switch up and why.
I already found out when xD

I just need to stop canceling my SHs with Dair though >.< I SH Dair with a C-stick, but occasionally that reflex from using other characters kicks in and makes me want to use down on the control stick and press A which will auto cancel my jump.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
Mind games with Float FTW. I like to move in with Float to make it seem like I'm gonna approach with Float Dair (the most typical approach), do a 2nd jump (the small jump) and voila, there you go you got a Fair instead of a Dair which is what people might expect. SH Dair is something I've yet to find useful, watching it in action via peach videos does make me curious thou.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
What do you guys do about G&W's dthrow?? I was told to tech it, so it's something I need to practice. Of course, it would be awesome to not get grabbed at all lol.

What do you guys recommend doing in the matchup?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yea, best option is to tech it and roll (I think) away. One roll has more range then the other. And when you get up, just jab incase he wants to tech chase you.

I don't play that much up too much anymore so I gotta re learn it. But don't NOT rush that character. Take it easy. Gotta use a defensive style on him.

I'll letPraxis take care of this one. i'm sitting this one out.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Tech and roll away. If you're feeling risky, and you know the G&W player knows that dthrow > dsmash doesn't work on Peach so they're probably not going to try it, every once in a while I'll tech in place and grab him. But don't do this more than once or twice in the match, and don't even think about trying it if you have more than 70% damage, it's not worth the risk.

And yeah. Make G&W come to you. His smashes cannot be used to punish actions, they can only be used to punish approaches the opposing player makes. If you're not approaching, you won't get hit by his smashes.

Learn the inactive frames on bair (when the turtle's head tips down, any attack can pass through it; dash attack, jab OOS, grab, etc). Learn how to punish G&W's lag (drop shield and jab when he dairs your shield, for example). Dash attack his feet when you can, punish his return to the ground because all of his aerials are laggy except nair which doesn't cover his feet. Play a game of keep away and throw a lot of turnips until he jumps and then prep yourself to punish whatever he does to get back down. Stay grounded or at least keep your second jump as much as possible.

Oh, and falling Uair beats G&W's dair. :3

Just play as completely risk-less as possible. Engaging in a guessing game with his smashes does not have a favorable risk:reward ratio.

Also, getting grabbed by G&W will happen pretty often, despite his totally crappy grab range; because you should be shielding a LOT. It's often not worth the risk of spotdodging if you fear he could also use a smash instead of a grab. Obviously, do your best not to get grabbed, but once you pass 70%, not getting smashed is the most important thing.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Ok guys, I'm starting to have some rather irritating problems getting back onstage when stuck to the ledge

I've found going for the ledge is normally Peachs safest recovery option unless the opponent decides to try and intercept me first. The problem is when I'm on the ledge. Ledge hop Fair has completely lost its surprise, standard get up/get up and roll is horribly easy to punish. Doing a jump get up seems to be the only slightly safe thing to do and even then I can get hit

I'm not entirely sure what to do. If I don't have a % lead I can't exactly try and plank with Uair (isn't planking normally banned anyway) but my main form of recovery (ledge hop Fair) just gets smashed or sheild grabbed most of the time

Just was wondering if other people could share their various tricks to get back onstage when clinging onto the ledge

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Our options in full are:

Normal Get-Up - I use this when they're spacing a move a bit away from the ledge and they miss. Usually only safe if it's something laggy. Never used after 100% unless it's a Falcon Punch.
Ledge Attack - If they're dumb and they get close. It's still usable after 100% due to the range, but sooo slow.
Ledge Roll - Unsafe, but occasional cross-up.

Ledgehop - Not normally used - I'd prefer to cover it with something.
Ledgehop Airdodge/Shield - One of my favorites, airdodging into an instant shield may get me knocked off again, but that just resets the situation with me none the worse.
Ledgehop Fair - If they're farther.
Ledgehop Nair - If they're closer.
Ledgehop Uair - If they're higher.

Ledge Jump with Dair - If unpredicted, very safe, and eats and covers a lot.
Ledge Jump with Nair - Very quick, but lacking in range. Favorite as more of an offensive tactic when higher than me.
Ledge Jump with Fair - Useful if timed right and they're far away for some reason.
Ledge Jump with Uair - More offensive than anything - It'll catch higher edge pressures (such as G&W's key). Also, FYI, our highest possible hitbox with a double jump (not counting turnips).

Release Peach Bomber - Very occasional mix-up.
Parasol Over Ledge - It'll catch dumb people who stand too close, but otherwise, lol.

Use all of these, but my favorites that work the majority of the time are: Ledgehop Fair, Ledge Jump Dair, Ledgehop Airdodge/Shield, Ledgeattack, and Ledge Roll - with a Bomber sprinkled in once a set.

But importantly, just plank until they do something stupid. :bee:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Bair and Fair are equally important.

The key to recognize is that Peach has the ability to punish everything Marth can do, and she has much more of an ability to bait his attacks. Float gives you far more control in the air. If he whiffs a fair, you get a bair hit. Your fair outranges his, so if you retreat a fair he can't fair you through it. You have to play safe, defensive, smart, and bait like crap. Once he's offstage, **** him. Dthrow a turnip and prepare to edgehog.

Marth vs Peach is one gigantic spacing game. You have to see how he's spacing his fairs and nairs and try to outspace it with your own fairs and bairs, combined with the occasional dash attack to the feet of nair, and bait his moves out using float to enhance your air control over his.

Don't use dair at all, except for read airdodges and spotdodges. If you hit his shield with a dair, you're doing it wrong.
Space space space.

If he won't approach, well, you have a projectile. :3

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I use dair against Marths, but you risk getting Up-B'd or sliced to shreds with misspacing.

To piggyback with Rickerdy, I have a hard time getting back on stage fromt he ledge too, coincidentally enough I have the hardest time getting back on when facing Marth.

My main attempt is to ledgehop (full hopped) Nair. Soemtimes for surprise I drop the ledge (using back on the analog, not down) and parasol. They both come out almost immediately with a good hitbox so I usually clash or we both hit each other

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Thanks guys. I do think match-up is not unreasonably hard. I played Melee and I definitely think Marth is harder on that game, although I'm ok at the match-up. So the Marth in this game is different and not as stupid lol.

Top Bottom