• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibs7

Smash Champion
I did dhgr to a Wario in tourny last week, even though I think it's not guaranteed lol. Vids should be up soon.
I'm pretty agro too, time out has only happened once against a pit player.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Like Kaptain Kong said, you CAN, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've already Double Jumped. Against some characters you'll always get it (there's a link to ADHD's thread about this in the Kongpendium), but against MK you really have to follow his DI and if you miss you're ****ed. I personally would just jump off the MK in that situation, even if I felt I could read his DI. The read is more important than the timing; I've never had trouble Footstooling someone out of a DGHR in terms of timing so long as it was guaranteed DI-wise.

Who here has done it in a tournament set? We all know NinjaLink and ADHD have, those videos are famous. What about the rest of us?

EDIT: At least I'm assuming ADHD has. The NinjaLink video is the one that's really famous.

EDIT 2: How many people have to rate a thread before it shows up that anyone rated it?

EDIT 3: AUSOM HYPE!!! I'm about to go to another tournament, and hopefully this week I'll be bringing home some decent results :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKtmAA39DGk

Personally, I wouldn't shoot for it if you're at an even stock. All characters can DI, but it's a 50/50 chance that you can read that and follow it up with a footstool so it can often be worth it. However, if you've already used your double jump and it breaks too low, you could end up commiting suicide.

Count

Smash Champion
I camp all the time :D

I won a 9 person tournament yesterday, so that was cool. I was expected to win going in, though. I did beat Hadesblade who has beaten y b m and hyli@n before though, so that was good i guess.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It was a friendly, but I was seriously giving Reflex a run for his money. He paused when I was trying to Up-B back to the stage on my last stock, though, so I can't actually say if I did well or not xD I had him down to his last stock at that point, anyway.

I beat elev8's Yoshi (which is super legit, no joke) and DanGR's MK, both of which were serious come-from-behind matches. Maybe I should change my signature to "The Comeback Diddy" xD

And for what it's worth, I found I do a lot better playing aggro on smaller stages like Frigate or most of RC. I mean, sure, when I got the opportunity to camp under the middle platform on Frigate it was great, but on the other transformation it was all about pressuring them off the right side until they mess up. I think I found one of my new favorite CPs in Frigate; other than like Kirby, ROB, or MK, I think I'd take practically anybody there (game 3, assuming I've won on Smashville and they banned FD. Or if just if they're Falco).

I got to play against 4GOD in a lot of friendlies, and he was super-legit. I've never gotten to play a good D3 before, and he is **** good at gimping once you're off-stage O.o He said he practices a lot with you, P1, and it definitely showed. I need good players to practice against :laugh:

What is everyone's opinion on Wifi? Even with the lag, is it a legit way to get better by playing better people? I had multiple people reccomend it to me yesterday, yet I've yet to have a match that's even remotely (or even just bearably) lag-free. Is it just me, because I can't seem to do half Diddy's tech in lag :x

Count

Smash Champion
Myself, P1, ADHD, AZ, and to a smaller extent Gnes all got good because of wifi. Chimpakt also. There's more. Definitely a great way to get better.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do you play in lag and switch back and forth? It's taken me two years and I'm just now getting all the timing down for Diddy's techs irl :\

Count

Smash Champion
I generally don't play wifi the day before a tournament or anything to that nature, but it shouldn't mess up your timing too much. The way I look at it is if I mess up a glide toss or dribble on wifi it doesn't really matter, wifi matches are for improving your player skill (i.e. mixups and reading skills) so just do your best to initiate the techs but if you can't dribble as well on wifi just don't sweat it. After a while, you get the timing so exact that the lag doesn't seem to affect it as much, at least in my experiences.

It also helps that I have a wired connection at college that is very good. Well, I had one. My university is ****** me with a firewall at the moment and I hardly have time to play as is.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Wifi is definitely legit practice as long as you have a decent connection. For me whenever a match gets too laggy I just stop caring at all because it wont help me get any better. I just kind of ignore those matches. For tech skill it shouldn't affect anything that much, as long as you also just make sure to practice stuff offline as well.

The day before/of a tournament I just go to practice mode and make sure I can do everything consistantly and stuff like that.

And Count, I'm gonna be on your list of Diddys who got good off of wifi someday...

Count

Smash Champion
JJ, you are on my list! I just forget about you because you go to a tourney like once every two months, do really well, then disappear again haha. Good job doing really well against some tough Chicago competition lately.

@ing Yeah, I just play AIB ladders. Used to do gamebattles back in 08 ^_^

tibs7

Smash Champion
Sounds like ingulit is hooked in brawl atm <3.
wifi is sooooooo bad in Australia, internet is ****. But I have my bro to play against.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I generally don't play wifi the day before a tournament or anything to that nature, but it shouldn't mess up your timing too much. The way I look at it is if I mess up a glide toss or dribble on wifi it doesn't really matter, wifi matches are for improving your player skill (i.e. mixups and reading skills) so just do your best to initiate the techs but if you can't dribble as well on wifi just don't sweat it. After a while, you get the timing so exact that the lag doesn't seem to affect it as much, at least in my experiences.

It also helps that I have a wired connection at college that is very good. Well, I had one. My university is ****** me with a firewall at the moment and I hardly have time to play as is.
Finally, finally someone says it. IMO this is what helped Ally become so great as well. If it weren't for WiFi, I'd be a ****ty Snake as well. All I ever did was play WiFi between tourneys except for the night before - usually a smashfest with the crew I went to tourneys with.

It helped my reading and mixups so ****ing much wifi is amazing, so long as you aren't in frame-by-frame lag....

Also

I have something cool and I'm not telling you guys because you probably already know about it and I'd get flamed.
It's about avoiding landing lag with an item

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Finally, finally someone says it. IMO this is what helped Ally become so great as well. If it weren't for WiFi, I'd be a ****ty Snake as well. All I ever did was play WiFi between tourneys except for the night before - usually a smashfest with the crew I went to tourneys with.

It helped my reading and mixups so ****ing much wifi is amazing, so long as you aren't in frame-by-frame lag....

Also

I have something cool and I'm not telling you guys because you probably already know about it and I'd get flamed.
It's about avoiding landing lag with an item
you can also land on a banana and instadrop it, that will prevent grabs i believe, since the banana trips them :p so landing on bananas is pretty safe imo

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i just airdodge really low on the ground near the banana and glide toss backwards near the same time, theres many ways including dair as well

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
That isn't avoiding landing lag. <_<
well, you basically nullify the chances of your opponent punishing you for it, since the banana's hitbox is out during your landing frames :p

but please, go on, im curious ^^

EDIT: @dfear, if they grab the landing, your glidetoss will be waaaay too late to help

@gnes, you catch the banana with an airdodge and drop it on frame 1, how is that not fast enough? you're invincible while dropping because you airdodge and after that you land
please collaborate since it seems pretty legit to me :S

-Googs

Smash Lord

forgive my ignorance but how do you set up a wired connection? Is there an ethernet slot on the wii? I've never seen one.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
You can buy whats called a Lan adaptor. You just plug the usb end of it into the wii and on the other side is an ethernet port.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
well, you basically nullify the chances of your opponent punishing you for it, since the banana's hitbox is out during your landing frames :p

but please, go on, im curious ^^

EDIT: @dfear, if they grab the landing, your glidetoss will be waaaay too late to help

@gnes, you catch the banana with an airdodge and drop it on frame 1, how is that not fast enough? you're invincible while dropping because you airdodge and after that you land
please collaborate since it seems pretty legit to me :S
Try throwing the banana before you touch the stage, but above enough to be near the end of the animation. To test if you're doing it right, try to land on Snake's dsmash. If you can shield the mine, you have no landing lag.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
who decided aipom should be the monkey mascot for diddy kong

i personally wouldve voted for infernape. maybe primeape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom