• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
bair then midair jump
i have never used bair as fear for accidental wrong DI though i use it for rob. is it really that influential? i thought the bair pushed diddy towards his feet? i always just dair airdodge O-o. is it really that much better

Count

Smash Champion
Merry Christmas!!

vyse i'm really sorry the holidays are making me busy, I will pm you later tonight about setting up a possible time to send replays.

Player-1

Smash Legend
i have never used bair as fear for accidental wrong DI though i use it for rob. is it really that influential? i thought the bair pushed diddy towards his feet? i always just dair airdodge O-o. is it really that much better

IDK what you mean by push diddy towards his feet but this is how to DI:

If you get sent flying off the stage at 120% damamge by a Wolf Dsmash, you're suppose to bair and then midair jump. The bair is the fastest aerial Diddy has (start up and cool down combined). Using the bair will cancel you out of your hitstun and then the midair jump will (should unless you midair jump backwards >.>) get you going back to the stage. The bair has less lag than an air dodge, think about it: Bair is the only thing you can do twice before you end a SH, you can't airdodge twice, you can't nair twice, you can't Uair twice.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
The bair has less lag than an air dodge, think about it: Bair is the only thing you can do twice before you end a SH, you can't airdodge twice, you can't nair twice, you can't Uair twice.
ok i understand completely now. and just tried it and yes man thats improved my DI greatly :3 ty

Legic

Smash Cadet
IDK what you mean by push diddy towards his feet but this is how to DI:

If you get sent flying off the stage at 120% damamge by a Wolf Dsmash, you're suppose to bair and then midair jump. The bair is the fastest aerial Diddy has (start up and cool down combined). Using the bair will cancel you out of your hitstun and then the midair jump will (should unless you midair jump backwards >.>) get you going back to the stage. The bair has less lag than an air dodge, think about it: Bair is the only thing you can do twice before you end a SH, you can't airdodge twice, you can't nair twice, you can't Uair twice.
thanks for the info this will improve my di too:)

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
About the barrel rocket (Up-B) spike... is the spike's knockback more powerful if you charge the rocket barrel for longer? Does an uncharged rocket barrel suffice for a clean spike? If the length of charge effects the strength of the spike, at approximately what % should i not worry about charging the barrel rocket in order to get a spike that my opponent likely will not recover from?

(i know i should use the term meteor smash if it isnt unrecoverable, but i prefer to say spike in all cases of downward knockback)

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
And theres like 10 other characters that are more annoying.
ninjalink, please pay that immature person no mind. he probably just sucks at brawl and slips all over bananas, chances are he gets beat by everyone else too and it just isnt as frustrating.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
About the barrel rocket (Up-B) spike... is the spike's knockback more powerful if you charge the rocket barrel for longer? Does an uncharged rocket barrel suffice for a clean spike? If the length of charge effects the strength of the spike, at approximately what % should i not worry about charging the barrel rocket in order to get a spike that my opponent likely will not recover from?

(i know i should use the term meteor smash if it isnt unrecoverable, but i prefer to say spike in all cases of downward knockback)
Yes, the length of the charge of the Rocket Barrel Blast is directly proportionate to the amount of knock-back there is on the ensuing meteor spike. However, if I ever resort to barrel-spiking, it's usually because my opponent either has a terrible vertical recovery, or my opponent is far enough past stage level that the length of rocket-barrel charge becomes negligible.

Think about it for a second: which characters are you most commonly going to be able to get barrel-spikes off of? Off the top of my head, those characters are ROB, Falco, Fox, Pit, Kirby, Meta Knight, King DeDeDe, and Marth.

• ROB is the easiest of the bunch to barrel spike. Unless your opponent has incredible foresight and predicts a barrel-spike from underneath the stage and anticipates with U-air, he will not be recovering. If he still has juice in his Robo Burner, he will still be in a bad enough position to eat another barrel-spike from you as soon as you decide to drop off the ledge and rinse and repeat. ROB will never recover from the second barrel-spike attempt.

• If Falco or Fox are recovering vertically from underneath stage level either straight up or at an angle, tilt the angle of your Rocket Barrel Blast accordingly off-stage and barrel-spike them. Neither characters - not even Fox - have great enough recovery out of hit-stun to survive one barrel-spike.

• Pit and Kirby are a little trickier to barrel-spike, but still fairly simple once you develop a sense of familiarity against their recovery patterns. Kirby's Final Cutter actually has somewhat pathetic vertical height, so you won't even have to fear getting spiked by it in most cases (assuming you barrel-spike him during at least his third jump past stage level). Pit's Wings of Icarus offer him greater maneuverability, but bananas peels, arced peanuts and three different spike options really renders any possibility of recovery virtually a non-issue.

• You have to pay attention to percentages if you're barrel-spiking Meta Knight, because he has so many vertical recovery options in addition to his multiple jumps. Most players will fear using Shuttle Loop to recover after being barrel-spiked, but the smarter batch will always exhaust all their jumps before aiming Drill Rush vertically to get back on stage. D-air spiking is quicker, more reliable, and has greater knock-back, and is usually the superior of the three options in several cases. Most MKs will not be recovering from a D-air spike after around 60% under any circumstances.

On a sidenote: AlphaZealot (and whoever else), I think I might have to retract any previous objections I have about the Rocket Barrel Blast being a viable option against Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop and offer an apology. I won a set against d4bA's MK because I killed him with an explosion from the rocket barrels when he Shuttle Looped into me, and similar events occurred multiple times throughout the night at yesterday's Dallas Smash-fest when I kept on baiting Infinity's Shuttle Loop at high percents, only to kill him while being in charged barrel state. They call it "getting Damien'd" (that's d4bA's real name).

• Barrel-spikes on Marth or D3 are significantly rarer, but the possibility is still present because players who main either character tend to favor stalling below stage level until it's safe for them to grab the ledge. For those of you who are confident in your ability to recover after being struck during your charged barrel state, you should consider taking this opportunity every time against Marth. I managed to gimp Roy_R (but not necessarily spike) a few times in the friendlies we played this way.
In summary:

Awwww, C'MON N00B

EVERYBODY NOES DIS

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
thanks Le_THieN, i am starting to see how you earned your popularity and respect, as this is a very thorough and informative summary (as most of your posts that i have seen are, less our first civil quarrel). i never would have denied that your knowledge of the game is extensive and impressive, using it to help others is commendable.

you called me a n00b again... well i guess im a diddy n00b but not a smash n00b, ive been playing smash games as my main fighter for over a decade as many of us have, therefore it would be unfair to think that i am a n00b.

Anyway, that didnt really bother me because you did answer my question better than most would bother to and i appreciated the specific match-up information as well (pit can glide though and his recovery far from a non-issue :-). Especially thanks for the data on MK, as he is one of the main reasons i decided to 2nd diddy.

One more question... if diddy's Rocket Barrel is released at an angle other than straight up, does your opponent get knocked back at the same trajectory as the angle of the barrel, or is it always the same downward spike?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
ROB is the easiest of the bunch to barrel spike. Unless your opponent has incredible foresight and predicts a barrel-spike from underneath the stage and anticipates with U-air, he will not be recovering. If he still has juice in his Robo Burner, he will still be in a bad enough position to eat another barrel-spike from you as soon as you decide to drop off the ledge and rinse and repeat. ROB will never recover from the second barrel-spike attempt.
The thing is unless rob is low on his robo burner I dont see him not using Uair. If a character is right above you and your fastest aerial is the uair, why wouldn't you use it. It's free damage and you don't get barrel spiked. Plus you have the possibility of gimping the diddy.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
thanks Le_THieN, i am starting to see how you earned your popularity and respect, as this is a very thorough and informative summary (as most of your posts that i have seen are, less our first civil quarrel). i never would have denied that your knowledge of the game is extensive and impressive, using it to help others is commendable.

you called me a n00b again... well i guess im a diddy n00b but not a smash n00b, ive been playing smash games as my main fighter for over a decade as many of us have, therefore it would be unfair to think that i am a n00b.
LOL, no one likes me or respects me anywhere - I'm just an old, crochety man who thinks he knows everything.

Also, I was actually just kidding about the n00b thing the second time around. I thought it would be funny to hearken back to funny and ridiculous week-old skirmishes, but I forget that not everyone's acclimated to my brand of offbeat humor. Anyway, sorry for being a d*ck (I'm like that a lot as you'll quickly learn); I'm generally a nice guy but I have very little patience for stuff like that sometimes.

One more question... if diddy's Rocket Barrel is released at an angle other than straight up, does your opponent get knocked back at the same trajectory as the angle of the barrel, or is it always the same downward spike?
They will never be spiked at an angle no matter how acute or obtuse the angle of your blast state is.

ADHD

Smash Hero

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
LOL, no one likes me or respects me anywhere - I'm just an old, crochety man who thinks he knows everything.

Also, I was actually just kidding about the n00b thing the second time around. I thought it would be funny to hearken back to funny and ridiculous week-old skirmishes, but I forget that not everyone's acclimated to my brand of offbeat humor. Anyway, sorry for being a d*ck (I'm like that a lot as you'll quickly learn); I'm generally a nice guy but I have very little patience for stuff like that sometimes.

They will never be spiked at an angle no matter how acute or obtuse the angle of your blast state is.
yea i figured you were joking, well your not bad at all Le_THieN, thanks for the helpful information :)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I know this has been discussed before, but I kind of want to bring it up again.

Dsmash or Fsmash for killer?

I generally save both and use Fsmash first, saving Dsmash in case my opponent survived with good DI. The reason I do this is because Fsmash does more damage so it's more likely to put them into kill range if they weren't already (also has more knockback I think so it would kill a little earlier).

Also with the Dsmash, since there's no forward tap input, there's no chance of tripping when trying to execute the kill. Can't be DI'ed out of either, so I find it's a safer finisher (though my sparring partner doesn't DI out of Fsmash anyway, I'd rather be prepared if I play someone who will).

They do each have their own uses though; Dsmash can catch someone trying to roll behind you, and Fsmash can catch someone trying to spotdodge.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
I know this has been discussed before, but I kind of want to bring it up again.

Dsmash or Fsmash for killer?

I generally save both and use Fsmash first, saving Dsmash in case my opponent survived with good DI. The reason I do this is because Fsmash does more damage so it's more likely to put them into kill range if they weren't already (also has more knockback I think so it would kill a little earlier).

Also with the Dsmash, since there's no forward tap input, there's no chance of tripping when trying to execute the kill. Can't be DI'ed out of either, so I find it's a safer finisher (though my sparring partner doesn't DI out of Fsmash anyway, I'd rather be prepared if I play someone who will).

They do each have their own uses though; Dsmash can catch someone trying to roll behind you, and Fsmash can catch someone trying to spotdodge.
lol@ Le_THieN and Vyse...

I go for F-smash closer to the edge, and try to catch em off guard elsewhere with D-smash, especially when they shield roll, but yea you have the right idea keeping them both fresh around that point in time

TreK

Is "that guy"
fsmash after a glide toss cus some opponents bouce when they trip and avoid dsmashes. Otherwise, i mostly kill with dsmash.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
luzl @ ninjalink. My question is '' what should you do wiff spammy players who uses spammy char. [ i.e pit ]
how could you get close to them if there just going to spam like **** crazy ?

GrunJ-MonkE

Smash Cadet
Ugh I hope this post worked....

First off: Hello! lol
I'm not too technically savvy with computers nor am I an advanced player, but enough with the self-degredation lol

I just recently participated in a brawl tournament in Miami, my first, and was eliminated by a Game and Watch main who went on to claim 1st place, after the match I recieved a bit of a backwards compliment: "Your **** good for a diddy that doesnt glide"... sooooo I took the initiative to come here and take the next step to better my competitive play....

My sincerest apologies, as I have read through this thread and understand that the "banana gliding" technique is probably a frequently asked annoying question that everyone who mains diddy should already know the answer to, but Im not too swift with comp. so when I searched "banana glide" or "ban. lock" none of the threads proved useful, so if someone can give me an answer to gliding or locking, or a link, then I'd be maaadd grateful gangstas lol

btw I posted here cuz this thread had all the diddy mainers that I have seen on youtube for the past months lmao...Vyse, Alpha Zealot, Ninja Link, ECT....lol I'm glad someone appreciates diddy.....My state is filled with Snakes and Pits :/ lol oh and thnx in advance for any help!

TreK

Is "that guy"
wtf people know about dtiling with banana since august -.-
why nobody uses this then ? it ***** falco's shine and a lot of stuff (and falco's shine. did i mention falco's shine ?)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ugh I hope this post worked....

First off: Hello! lol
I'm not too technically savvy with computers nor am I an advanced player, but enough with the self-degredation lol

I just recently participated in a brawl tournament in Miami, my first, and was eliminated by a Game and Watch main who went on to claim 1st place, after the match I recieved a bit of a backwards compliment: "Your **** good for a diddy that doesnt glide"... sooooo I took the initiative to come here and take the next step to better my competitive play....

My sincerest apologies, as I have read through this thread and understand that the "banana gliding" technique is probably a frequently asked annoying question that everyone who mains diddy should already know the answer to, but Im not too swift with comp. so when I searched "banana glide" or "ban. lock" none of the threads proved useful, so if someone can give me an answer to gliding or locking, or a link, then I'd be maaadd grateful gangstas lol

btw I posted here cuz this thread had all the diddy mainers that I have seen on youtube for the past months lmao...Vyse, Alpha Zealot, Ninja Link, ECT....lol I'm glad someone appreciates diddy.....My state is filled with Snakes and Pits :/ lol oh and thnx in advance for any help!
Hey GrunJ, welcome to the boards.
Check out the AT sticky specific to Diddy Kong.

Diddy Kong: The Facts, Must Reads and Videos! (Updated 03/12/08)

You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Anyone keep tap jump on? I'm considering it so I can up b out of shield when someone has a banana in their hand and to react quick enough when meta's whorenado is coming for me if my shield is low. Sometimes people just blatantly throw it at your shield and charge--alot of people do, that's why I'm thinking about it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Anyone keep tap jump on? I'm considering it so I can up b out of shield when someone has a banana in their hand and to react quick enough when meta's whorenado is coming for me if my shield is low. Sometimes people just blatantly throw it at your shield and charge--alot of people do, that's why I'm thinking about it.
I use default controls
okay dat question was juss da LAMEST question ov all
yu PHAil 10 fold
brooklyn?

TreK

Is "that guy"
I stickjump... left handed ftw xD
But you still can jump oos so you can still upB oos without tap jump. Just press up during your shield then press your jump button and B at the same time. That keeps your tap jump off i heard it's better.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
this is technically a Q&A thread, and i have a Q for you all :laugh:

Jan 17th - San Diego USCD winter brawl or something like that. And February 7th Clash of Titans in Philadelphia. Who here is going to either of those events. Ive made it my goal to take a picture with every diddy main i ever meet OOS

GrunJ-MonkE

Smash Cadet
Yes! Thank you very much Kaptain Kong and Vyse!!!! both tips were very informative, I started getting the hang of it yesturday; however it is pretty tough to incorporate into my versus game lol, but paractice makes perfect! Also do you guys think the the monky flip(side B) is worth implementing into gameplay as a potential KO or is it just not worth the risk, considering diddy's other kill moves in his moveset.

oh and.....MY BAD YO! sorry GamerDragonX, madd props to you fellow diddy main!
ironically enough I was interested in finding players from Florida here, but I guess I didn't look hard enough lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom