• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey Yoshi boards, I'm seriously thinking about using Yoshi as a fun second. What are the basic ATs I should learn and any other tactics I need to keep in mind?

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Egg planking.

Keep tap-jump OFF IMO. You could also use bstick but that's gay.

If tap jumps on you cant recover with eggs...easily.

I love eggtoss planking.

Easy, pretty safe. Just remember you got 5 eggs max before you need to get back onstage.

Wavebouncing is important.
And I use alot of b-reversals with yoshi.

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wave bouncing and B reversals are amazing with him, ESPECIALLY with Egg Lay and (to a lesser extent) Egg Toss. Learn to deal with a terrible shield, learn how to control the trajectory of your Egg Toss, and learn all your Grab Release options on preferably every character, but AT LEAST learn what you have on the characters you expect to be playing against.

Learn how to correctly abuse his Double Jump armor, and get use to how you move with it and where you'll end up, because it's drastically different from the rest of the cast.

When it comes to ATs, Yoshi's only really big AT is DR, or Dragonic Reverse. That takes a lot of practice to do however and is more simply done with a different control scheme, so be aware of that.

EDIT: Also, learn how to recover with him. Yoshi, when done right, has a very safe recovery on most of the cast. Also, learn how to play gay with him, he can be a VERY troublesome and annoying character to play against due to his over the top speed, great range, strange (but still fantastic) projectile, and his strange properties (like his DJ Armor and how his grabs work).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If they mash out during our pummel they will ground release.

EDIT: Related to this, do we have any frame advantage when we ground release? I tend to jab whenever I ground release and it always connects... Also, if we DO have FA, how much?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't believe we have any advantage when we ground release. Our jab just happens to be faster than a lot of other options.

Also, the ground break only happens if they break out before you get them in your mouth. This is avoided if you don't buffer a pummel, IIRC.

In otherwords, they can only ground break if you try to pummel before you get them into your mouth. If you never pummel, you'll always get an air release.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, if we HAPPEN to grab then with the very last frame of our grab, and they just HAPPEN to already be mashing out of a move before it connects or just HAPPEN to have inhuman reflexes.

It's never happened in an actual match before, so I see no reason to even worry about it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Since this is a Q&A Thread.
He's always been known to have a beard, I think the only time I've noticed him with less hair is on his head.
Haircuts man...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've been growing my beard since summer. Sharky, I expect a full beard off at Apex. If you lose, we got some problems, because you seem much more capable or growing a beard than me.

Scatz

Smash Champion
He played vanilla at first. Have no idea if he's playing ultimate though.

Goatee standoff. I win.

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if I am right about knowing all grab release true combos in order to improve my French Yoshi Guide. Can someone confirm me if I'm right and if I forget something ? Thanks =) I really don't know if there are true combos on SV's moving platform or anything particular in another stage, but I'm interested if you know something about that =)

Mario : Nothing
Luigi : Nothing
Peach : Nothing
Bowser : Chaingrab
DK : Chaingrab (fake if he uses Up-B only)
Diddy : Chaingrab
Yoshi : Nothing
Wario : Infinite Standing Grab (only if Wario has already double jump), Release to Usmash / Fsmash (Up-Stick) / Uair / Nair / Neutral-B
Link : Chaingrab
Zelda : Nothing
Sheik : Release to Fair (close to the ledge) / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)
Ganondorf : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack / Neutral-B (close to the ledge) / Fair (close to the ledge, only if Ganondorf has already Double Jump)
Toon Link : Nothing
Samus : Nothing
ZSS : Chaingrab
Pit : Nothing
Ice Climbers : Release to Usmash
ROB : Nothing
Kirby : Nothing
MK : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack
DDD : Nothing
Olimar : Nothing
Fox : Nothing
Falco : Chaingrab, Release to Fair (close to the ledge, only if Falco has already Double Jump) / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)
Wolf : Nothing
Captain Falcon : Chaingrab
Pikachu : Chaingrab
Squirtle : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack
Ivysaur : Nothing
Charizard : Chaingrab
Lucario : Nothing
Jigglypuff : Release to Uair
Marth : Nothing
Ike : Chaingrab
Ness : Release to Usmash / Uair
Lucas : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack
G&W : Nothing
Snake : Nothing
Sonic : Chaingrab

If you can help me, great thanks =)

Yikarur

Smash Master
Moves I mark in red are "not guaranteed but he dies if he trys to do something"

I was wondering if I am right about knowing all grab release true combos in order to improve my French Yoshi Guide. Can someone confirm me if I'm right and if I forget something ? Thanks =) I really don't know if there are true combos on SV's moving platform or anything particular in another stage, but I'm interested if you know something about that =)

Mario : Nothing

Luigi : Nothing

Peach : Nothing

Bowser : Chaingrab

DK : Chaingrab (fake if he uses Up-B only, SideB decreases the timing Window and can get you grounded) -> great mix-up potential

Diddy : Chaingrab

Yoshi : Nothing

Wario : Infinite Standing/Pivot/Dash Dance Grab, Release to Usmash / Fsmash (Up-Angled) / Uair / Nair

Link : Chaingrab (dies off-stage without double jump)

Zelda : Nothing

Sheik : Release to Fair (close to the ledge) / Neutral-B (close to the ledge) -> not guaranteed but if she buffers a DJ out of grab release she jumps right into it

Ganondorf : Dash-Attack / Neutral-B (close to the ledge) / Fair (close to the ledge, only if Ganondorf has already Double Jump)

Toon Link : Nothing

Samus : Nothing

ZSS : Chaingrab

Pit : Nothing

Ice Climbers : Release to Usmash

ROB : Nothing

Kirby : Nothing

MK : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack

DDD : Nothing

Olimar : Nothing

Fox : Nothing

Falco : Chaingrab, Release to Fair (close to the ledge, only if Falco has already Double Jump) / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)

Wolf : Nothing / with RCO Lag: Regrab

Captain Falcon : Chaingrab

Pikachu : Chaingrab

Squirtle : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack / Fair (on the ledge)

Ivysaur : Nothing

Charizard : Chaingrab

Lucario : Nothing

Jigglypuff : Release to Uair

Marth : Nothing

Ike : Chaingrab

Ness : Release to Usmash / Uair

Lucas : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack

G&W : Nothing

Snake : Nothing

Sonic : Chaingrab

If you can help me, great thanks =)
so I just realized that we can do an even bigger list.
I think I will work on it the next days :p because a lot of not-so-common stuff is missing.
means: I didn't do all fixes in your list yet

Top Bottom