• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Scatz

Smash Champion
Mario : Nothing
Luigi : Nothing
Peach : Nothing
Bowser : Chaingrab
DK : Chaingrab (fake if he uses Up-B only) / SH Egglay
Diddy : Chaingrab
Yoshi : Nothing
Wario : Infinite Standing Grab (only if Wario has already double jump), Release to Usmash / Fsmash (Up-Stick) / Uair / Nair / Neutral-B
Link : Chaingrab
Zelda : Nothing
Sheik : Release to Fair (close to the ledge) / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)
Ganondorf : Chaingrab / Dash-Attack / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)
Toon Link : Nothing
Samus : Nothing
ZSS : Chaingrab
Pit : Nothing
Ice Climbers : Release to Usmash
ROB : Nothing
Kirby : Nothing
MK : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack / DR Dsmash / DR Dtilt
DDD : Nothing
Olimar : FH Fair (next to ledge)
Fox : Nothing
Falco : Chaingrab / Neutral-B (close to the ledge)
Wolf : Egglay
Captain Falcon : Chaingrab
Pikachu : Chaingrab
Squirtle : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack / Fair
Ivysaur : FH Egglay (close to ledge)
Charizard : Chaingrab
Lucario : Nothing
Jigglypuff : Release to Uair
Marth : Nothing
Ike : Chaingrab
Ness : Release to Usmash / Uair
Lucas : Chaingrab, Release to Usmash / Dash-Attack / DR Fsmash / DR Dtilt / DR Dsmash
G&W : Nothing
Snake : Nothing
Sonic : Chaingrab

If you can help me, great thanks =)
There's more, but that's off the top of my head and this was done off phone. I'll expand when i'm home.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think I use the most dtilt of any Yoshis. That combo is a godlike combo move at low percent, has great edge guarding capabilities, and is a sexy poke too.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
First off, let me get this straight.
Sharking is when you go from one side of the stage to the other, while underneath it?

If so I (and all of you) do this on Delfino.

I found out a way of doing it on SmashVille, but it's easily edge hogged, and if you mess up you die so it isn't really worth it.

And it's probably known.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
First off, let me get this straight.
Sharking is when you go from one side of the stage to the other, while underneath it?

If so I (and all of you) do this on Delfino.

I found out a way of doing it on SmashVille, but it's easily edge hogged, and if you mess up you die so it isn't really worth it.

And it's probably known.
something like this happened to Raptor when he was one stock ahead against ADHD in tourney, but he decides to shark and got edge hog.

Sharky

Smash Master
ummm...no

sharking is attacking an opponent underneath a stage part you can move though, like mk uair spamming underneath delfino for example

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I don't really think that's a true combo. Maybe on some tubby characters.

But like, Falco ***** Yoshi, so if a stage benefits Falco in anyway, or if that player likes that stage, he might pick it just cause.

AFAIK Yoshi doesn't excell incredibly at Halberd.

Falco, however, loves him some platforms

:phone:

D

Deleted member

The upper platform makes it tough to approach falco and limits our options. I think its not a bad stage for yoshi, but falco gets some nice benefits, killing earlier is good for falco.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bair if autocanceled correctly IS a true combo to utilt so long they dont have godlike DI or are at stupid high percents.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
what happens if I give a yoshi a cookie? :troll:

But seriously is egglay offstage useful? IE yoshi just pushed his opponent off the ledge and egglays the opponent.

Also is Bair to Dsmash like a safe landing option/good combo on the opponent?

Sharky

Smash Master
egglay can be useful offstage if you want to set them up for juggling, but that's basically the same as on stage lol. I wouldn't use bair to dsmash, too laggy at low %s and at higher %s it won't connect as much. There are better options.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
egglay can be useful offstage if you want to set them up for juggling, but that's basically the same as on stage lol. I wouldn't use bair to dsmash, too laggy at low %s and at higher %s it won't connect as much. There are better options.
ah ok thanks.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Actually, I like bair > dsmash at low percents cuz you get both hits of dsmash so long as you know how to do it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'd like to see you DI out of that on reaction when I only hit with the first 2-3 hits of bair which come out stupid fast, them dsmash immediately after. Both attacks come out fast, and if you DI out of the bair somehow, Ill just usmash or utilt instead cuz theres no way to DI THAT far away at low damages lol. Ive done these COUNTLESS times and have prob only ever been punished/messed it up 5% of the time.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You're saying that people can't DI that quickly, but that you can read their DI in an even smaller window of time and decide whether or not to Dsmash. You give people to little credit, Bair isn't even that hard to DI.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I can usually tell by the first hit of bair if I'll be able to land a dsmash,amd Im also paying attention, before the move even starts, to their DI. They shouldnt know the move is coming, and would need to realize that they just got hit by bair, and then DI it, when I obviously know it's coming and am basically just in my head saying: 'if he's lower than this, dsmash, if he's not, usmash'.

Sharky

Smash Master
I can usually tell by the first hit of bair if I'll be able to land a dsmash,amd Im also paying attention, before the move even starts, to their DI. They shouldnt know the move is coming, and would need to realize that they just got hit by bair, and then DI it, when I obviously know it's coming and am basically just in my head saying: 'if he's lower than this, dsmash, if he's not, usmash'.
show me multiple instances of you landing it and I won't utterly reject all of this.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I know I have at least two matches backed up in the Utah Too Be Added Videos files, but I can go searching through replays and stuff to find more of it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
THE FOX ONE IS GETTING UPLOADED TIHS WEEK THOUGH!!!!

The other ones will come eventually.... lol.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of egg roll, in all my vids so far i spam the eff out of that move :D

yay friendlies

Yikarur

Smash Master
Egg roll makes me get grabbed 99% of the time.

Pretty sure every move in this game breaks the egg:(

:phone:
you use egg roll to fake your landing.
If you play against someone who is sure to punish your landing almost every time you land in front of him you can egg roll close to the ground, they will do their move because they will surely not react to egg roll properly and then egg roll hits because it's stops Yoshis entire momentum and the opponents move misses.
works EVERY TIME I've used it so far.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
i'm wondering if there's any threads on platform canceling an egg roll, using egg roll bounce to ledge grab, dragonic reversing up slopes, or using air dodge to dragonic reverse up a slope?
I don't think we have any threads dedicated to those things specifically, but here's a thread full of random little tricks we can do.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254832

you use egg roll to fake your landing.
If you play against someone who is sure to punish your landing almost every time you land in front of him you can egg roll close to the ground, they will do their move because they will surely not react to egg roll properly and then egg roll hits because it's stops Yoshis entire momentum and the opponents move misses.
works EVERY TIME I've used it so far.
The best is using Egg Roll and landing on the top BF platform. The amount of times people get confused as hell as I bounce from platform to platform and hit them is hilarious.

Top Bottom