• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
When you crouch and crawl backwards towards the ledge and instantly ^B, you pop back onto the ledge.
Is this known/useful?
I can do more testing if you wan.

:phone:
Didn't know, Played with it though, and seems useless. ETS lets us throw an egg, and grab the ledge. AND we can do that while running. Best use i can find for this is A flashy ledgehog.

Test it if you want though, you might find something cool to do with it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Can you fastfall during the Up B animation? If so, we could prob fall beneath the ledge and throw an egg while falling. Dunno how that'd really help us much aside from a fancy shenanigan, but possible uses could arise I guess.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Well for one, it takes our max egg on the ledge limit from 5 to 6, also you can throw your five eggs on the ledge, get up attack and pop right back onto the ledge using this technique, haveing another five.

edit: you can fast fall, when you do you throw a egg over the ledge but don't grab it.
Then you run the risk of recovering with yoshi.
Might could be used in doubles if you were a boss and like "egg one guy, drop down here and fair spike him and recover!"
not excactly likely tho...:/
it's gotta have some use!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
It doesn't give us an "Extra" egg because the "Extra" one doesn't come out lol. Its started on stage meaning it doesn't count for our 5 that much is true, but the only way that's relevant to anything is if the egg comes out.

ETS is the better option. You get a ledge grab and a free egg.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Perhaps it could have opposite effect, and you get one less egg.
I have ONCE gotten the egg out before grabbing the ledge.
My brothers stupid about our wii tho and won't let me hack it, so ATM no frame testing for me:/

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Double post cause I found something.
When you crawl FORWARDS at the ledge, and egg back towards the stage, if you do it just right you egg forward an land on the stage.
I'm not sure at all how to do this, but it could be a good mindgame with your eggs.

The only problem is that it's so hard to do consistently I rage quit'd training mode.
If you don't time it right, you do that whole "ohai, I'm floating backwards while throwing an egg" thing yoshi like to do to mess you up while recovering.
Or, of course, you egg roll instead of even leaving the stage:(
I can't frame test cause my brother won't let me hack the dang wii.
Someone else wanna look at frames for me and see when and what you have to do your ^B?

Unless this is known of course :p

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey guys I read all the guide lines and I believe I am in the right place. I had an odd moment in a replay I just uploaded, but didn't really give it any thought till I rewatched it just before here at work.

Here is the replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpHGkUKf9Q

At 1:50 I manage to pokeswitch or down B out of yoshi's grab release on squirtle. Though I originally brushed it off as a mis-timing of regrab I watched the video again to find the timing seemed on point and before yoshi had extended his tongue a third of the way for the regrab I had already initiated the switch. Pause the video at 1:49 to see what I am talking about.

I am not sure what happened so any thoughts or solid answers will gladly be heard out.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
>See's the stage is Yoshi's island.
The Stage of Yoshi's island is slanted, You most likely started bashing DownB to try and escape since jumping doesn't work for Squirtle/Charizard.
Basically you landed and used DownB before he was able to regrab you.

That's dumb, we really can't edit our posts without it showing under two minutes anymore...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you were talking about getting out of Yoshi's CG, that's cuz the Yoshi did it considerably slow and it was also uphill so you hit the ground early.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To look fancy and trick the opponent into thinking you're running away from one of their moves only to DR and punish them, or use it to get away from a move you can't avoid by just turning around.

Even though I haven't perfected it, I usually try DR hundreds of times in most of my matches and whenever I do get it, it mostly works when I need to punish someone like DR'ing onto a platform on (Say) PS2 and trick them into thinking i'm going to use Uair on them so they airdodge and get a Charged USmash instead.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
DR lets you do running smash attacks (not counting usmash) or running tilts, which give you better reach, have less lag, or allow you to punish more things and with more damage output.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Welcome back. I see you're repping dat Chicken Bacon Ranch in yo sig. Mmmmmmm.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@MGW: Imo just simple wavebouncing, it helps a ton in your maneuverability, mind games, and helps you play more safe; not to mention its VERY easy to do compared to most AT's, it carries over to other characters in the game as they can do it too, and it's arguably best for Yoshi out of all the characters in the game due to our air speed. Also, it's not only just how to do it, but how to use it effectively in a match as well.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Zz knock it out yo

How do I.... Oh wait.
MU thread...

Does downB have any use other than looking cool dive bombing onto the ledge?

I heard you can jab to downB but idk

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It shield pokes shields that are low like a boss, is generally pretty fast therefore having mix up potential, and it's a good kill move that is rarely ever stale.

Yikarur

Smash Master
it's our fastest kill move.
and you can use it to punish airdodge when you DJ past them.
you can use it to kill opponents when they try to space aerials below you.
Yoshis Island.
it's a pretty good move.

Top Bottom