• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
Sorry for responding to all of you later, got a lot of work those days :o Thanks for all your help !

I also wanted to know, I think Yoshi's worst MUs are Falco, MK and Lucario and I would like to have an effective second character (if possible top or high) to have a better chance against those three. I also don't like very much TL, Fox and Diddy so if they have a chance against them, that would be also fine, all others should be fine I think. So I want to ask you what do you guys think is the most effective second character for a Yoshi Main ?
I don't want to play MK (really don't like how to play him), and Falco dittos suxx so don't want that bird too :I I mainly thought about Olimar, Diddy or Marth, are those three a good choice ?

Thanks =)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was actually going to recommend Olimar to you, since he's very good against Lucario, and has history has shown, does well against MK (relatively, anyways). Not too sure about him vs. Falco though.

Olimar also does well against Fox, and I'd imagine the TL and Diddy MUs are evenish. However, they're definitely doable MUs for Yoshi and I think you should learn them.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You guys are ****ing awful at helping people out. You just completely derailed a potential discussion with your inane chatter.

If you don't want to use Olimar, then I'd pick Marth over Diddy. Diddy takes too much time to get consistent and competitive with. At that point, he might as well be your main. Marth does relatively well against all those characters as well. IIRC your problem MUs are all evenish with Marth.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Again, Oli doesn't cover Falco, who is one of our worst MUs.
Aura wants a pocket to cover bad MUs.

I pocket Falco, he ***** Oli. Go to the Oli boards, they'll say their worst MU is Falco. Lazers kill Pikmin, reflector put Pikmin on Oli, Phantasm gets Pikmin off of Falco. It becomes Falco VS. nolimar.

Marth DOES, however, cover our MUs, is high tier, and pretty fun to play.

My point stands.

:phone:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Oli may not cover Falco, but he has the advantage of doing REALLY WELL against all the other MUs. Marth, on the other hand, is relatively even against everyone else, so he's not a very powerful pocket to have, although a versatile one.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Even is defiantly enough to win.
But for real, I'm really bad at this game so I don't really know, maybe snakes a good pocket.
I just know Falco wrecks Oli, so I suggest Marth. My word is in no way law.

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
MK is banned.
MK is not banned everywhere, and can be unbanned in US. I prefer still consider him also for those reasons

Actually you could always use marth. Or Wario, but Wario vs falco is meh.
Wario also suxx against MK I think

Pikachu then I guess.
I heard Pikachu VS Lucario is a hard MU

Well okay guys, thanks.
I also realised that a second needs to be as approximatively same level as a main so as to be effective. And I prefer for the moment giving time for Yoshi only.
But if I change my mind, I will remember Olimar & Marth would be the best choices.
Thanks to all of you !

D

Deleted member

Lol@mrgameandwatch.
Your secondary doesn't need to cover all of yoshis bad matchups, just ones you don't want to play. Marth isn't a great secondary in general IMO unless u love playing him, cuz he doesn't really counter yoshis bad matchups. Oli is good, mk is obviously good, d3 can be good.
At the end of tr day, If u want to main yoshi, u should get used to most matchups and then get a secondary for the ones u really don't like. Like people say falco is bad, but even when I played tournaments often I think I lost to falco in tournament once ever (sk92). I don't like rob so I cp him sometimes. There's no best secondary, it's all about what u want

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's just me being stubborn and not choosing the route of high tiers if I Really want to make A name for myself/win money.
But if you want to win matches but still use, say, Mario. Might as well just switch to your high tier secondary as A main. Since in bigger tournaments you'll notice that you'll have to be using your high tier alot more cause of some MU's you hate coming up alot more in National level tournaments or just big regionals.

So yeah, either decide to just go your low/mid tier character, or don't bother at all and just go the route of A high tier and maybe another high tier secondary to deal with some matchups like what ESAM has been doing with Pika and IC's.

D

Deleted member

Disagreez. Who says that rob will be coming up more often in nationals? If u really don't have fun playing yoshi vs a lot of characters than why play him. Again, for me, there's like 2 or 3 matchups I just don't have fun playing and that I don't feel allow me to utilize my character how I want. So I go someone else. I have fun vs snake falco, mk, diddy, wario, Oli. So I go yoshi, even tho it's not necessarily in my favor (the price of playing a low mid tier)
It's much easier to make a name for yourself with a mid tier than a high tier IMO.

Ur argument didn't even make sense o_O

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
You make no sense.

His question was "what character can i use to pocket Yoshis bad MU's?"
He even tagged on "his bad MU's are MK, Falco, and Lucario."

Then you said lol@me for saying a good pocket for our bad MU's and that bad MU's don't matter so I shouldn't say that.

Your answer doesn't help him, he wanted to know about bad MU's, not non-fun ones.

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
The fact is that France level is not the same as US level. So I must go to US to see which ones are really my highest problems (that's mostly why I planned to come in july/august).
For example, our Lucarios are really aggressive, I don't really have a problem against them. But the problem should be Lucario's camp. If they don't play the MU, I really can't say if I'm good against him or not.
But for the moment, I think my worst MUs are Falco, Diddy, ROB, TL and Fox

Yikarur > I really can't play MK, he is so boring to me xD

Disagreez. Who says that rob will be coming up more often in nationals? If u really don't have fun playing yoshi vs a lot of characters than why play him. Again, for me, there's like 2 or 3 matchups I just don't have fun playing and that I don't feel allow me to utilize my character how I want. So I go someone else. I have fun vs snake falco, mk, diddy, wario, Oli. So I go yoshi, even tho it's not necessarily in my favor (the price of playing a low mid tier)
It's much easier to make a name for yourself with a mid tier than a high tier IMO.
That is my mentality. Win Money is not important for me, I prefer being known as a good Yoshi mainer than any other thing I would have. That's why I hesitate playing a high/top tier second. I don't like playing marth, and I don't know about Olimar but I think I will be quickly bored :I

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario can be aggro and good. Lucario actually can pressure yoshi really well.

I think lucarios just aren't super good outside of the us lol.

Yikarur

Smash Master
MK is one of the most fun characters in brawl, if someone is bored of him he does something wrong :( xD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That is my mentality. Win Money is not important for me, I prefer being known as a good Yoshi mainer than any other thing I would have. That's why I hesitate playing a high/top tier second. I don't like playing marth, and I don't know about Olimar but I think I will be quickly bored :I
10000000000x this.

That and I actually feel like...incapable of playing anyone besides Yoshi. The difference in skill is MASSIVE. >_>''

Lucario is a ridiculously hard MU, lol. I hate it so much.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I use tons of other characters. I love Yoshi and am best with him, but my Yoshis bad.
I hate to say it, but I'm garbage at this game.

I've never not gotten double eliminated(except scrub tourneys<3)

I don't play for money or fame.

I play for fun/honor like Japan does. I only do MM's cause people want a reason to play, and not many play for fun only like I do.

I want to get better, but that's just because I find progressing fun. I like improving. But even if I went to a tourney and didn't enter I'd have tons of fun. I love tourneys!

Steam

Smash Hero
Nives is pretty good, but not anything like June or trela.

And yoshi is a pretty fun character. Yoshi dittos on wifi are stupid tho

D

Deleted member

Japan plays for winning wtf. Not honor. Not fun.
Just cuz u dont play for money doesnt mean you dont take the game equally or more seriously. There's just less extrinsic gain to be had from winning. They could have more intrinisic gain to be had, idk the culture.

D

Deleted member

Yea i know. Most people do, cuz most people realistically wont make money xD
I meant top players. I was just saying that mr G&W was being silly with his statement.
Most everyone plays for fun. I just dont have fun losing =P

Secondary puff, counters falco, diddy, and MK.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I occasionally make money in doubles (and since we have Mario Kart here, I always do in that), but I dont play for the money, I literally only do cuz I enjoy the game, that's all there is to it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I believe they play for the pride of being better than whoever they just beat. That's why they're better than us, lol. They play to be better than everyone, while we play to scrape out a win through whatever means necessary (stupid CPs, character selection, etc).

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
^excactly my point.

"playing to win" is the same thing as playing for honor/pride. The honor of being the best is a big honor. One you'll fight for, and strive to get better for.

I won't make money anytime in the near future, but I will want to win matches so I can log in wins. Just to know you've beaten someone else is enough. I don't care about money.

D

Deleted member

I play to win, my yoshi is better than my MK usually.
Im not against going other characters if i think it will improve my chance of winning. But i also like playing yoshi, and i get bored of others if i play them too much.

Top Bottom