• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Firefly, we just suck and run into Fsmash a lot. D=

I think Wario is Yoshi's best teammate. I did doubles randomly one day and teamed with a Wario. We took third.

I never do doubles and I suck at them, lol.

Yikarur

Smash Master
and how do you reason that, don't come here and say "wario da bess", I need reasons. Wario is general good in teams so..

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wario better than Lucario?! WARIO BETTER THAN MK?!?!?!

I could agree with 3rd best, maybe 2nd best, but theres no way he's a better teamate than MK lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
and how do you reason that, don't come here and say "wario da bess", I need reasons. Wario is general good in teams so..
Wario is a very mobile character, which allows him to move around the battlefield easily. Basically, this lets him deal with egg pressure well, and he follows up VERY well on most of Yoshi's moves. He has strong kill moves, and he's able to get into position to take advantage of Yoshi's setups - Grab Release, Egg Lay, Egg Toss - extremely well.

Wario also isn't a high maintenance character, and since Yoshi isn't the greatest at saving his teammates, this attribute is a huge boon to the team. Both characters are good at breaking up clusters (eggs, Wario can just avoid and use an aerial), and both characters handle 2v1s pretty well.

Wario better than Lucario?! WARIO BETTER THAN MK?!?!?!

I could agree with 3rd best, maybe 2nd best, but theres no way he's a better teamate than MK lol.
Lucario is slow and clunky, lol.

Meta Knight isn't even his own best partner, lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Why are 80% of the top 8 teams made up of top level players who main MK?

The problem with double MK is that it shuts down a lot of characters lower on the tier list who could actually be useful in doubles, like Yoshi, for example.

I did doubles with Raptor one day. Double Yoshi vs Double MK was like "LOL HOW DEAL WITH NADO."

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Go Yoshi+Ness then, Ness deals with MK like a boss, especially when he's being backed up by eggs to cover any blind spots.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Stupid connections...

I gotta make this short since I typed tons of stuff I wanted to ask, but here's what it is in a nutshell:

I'm curious about the Pit + Yoshi team, how they work, their strengths and weaknesses, their best/worst stages/MUs, and any combination/combos they have. I'm not a dubs person myself, but it doesn't hurt to know how the team works.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi tanks, Pit should be the one doing most of the damage while Yoshi supports him, both can set up/get kills decently. Their main problems are any team that can get in on Pit or separate him from Yoshi (Yoshi isnt that great at 2v1s). Not a great team tbh as their roles overlap, but definitely not bad.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No, hes not Delta, not at all. To many of his moves either concentrate on one person or are easily punishable, and the ones that DO work on multiple people are very few and become predictable.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No, hes not Delta, not at all. To many of his moves either concentrate on one person or are easily punishable, and the ones that DO work on multiple people are very few and become predictable.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Do you KNOW who you're playing as? The character with the highest air speed, a fast, easily B Reversible COMMAND GRAB that puts a character OUT OF ACTION, has INVINCIBILITY ON HIT, and resets a situation to a 1v1? A character with solid hitting aerials that can kill decently, are relatively safe because they can be set up into WITH THAT COMMAND GRAB, and the air speed to use them and NOT GET PUNISHED WITH GRAB DEATH? The character who BREAKS UP TAG TEAM EDGE TRAPS with his projectile because they're so disruptive?

Yeah, he's AWFUL at 2v1s. Marth is much better.

Almost a year old video and I never play doubles anyways, but this is related to the 2v1 arguement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLpb8rEg63c

Even if it's Low tiers, I think Yoshi can handle 2v1 kinda well cause of his mobility.
But as all characters once they make a single mistake, they die.
You guys did pretty poorly at the beginning, lol. Gotta work on that teamwork. Good fight at the end though.

D

Deleted member

Delta with da callout.
But i agree. Edge eggs are retardedly good in 2v1 i wuv just edge camping :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta with da callout.
But i agree. Edge eggs are retardedly good in 2v1 i wuv just edge camping :p
I play 2v1s sorta like I played against Chibo in my last set. :awesome:

Just with more retreating Egg Lay and stuff.

By the way, don't take my statement to mean that Yoshi should be winning 2v1s often. NOBODY SHOULD EVER BE WINNING 2V1s (except in like, the case where it turns into a 2v1 when everyone is last hit last stock).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
By the way, don't take my statement to mean that Yoshi should be winning 2v1s often. NOBODY SHOULD EVER BE WINNING 2V1s (except in like, the case where it turns into a 2v1 when everyone is last hit last stock).
That just means that no character is good at 2v1s, that doesnt mean Yoshi is good at them. Sure, I guess Yoshi is better than most, but that still doesnt mean he's good at it. If no one in the game is good at it, then why argue Yoshi is better than most? Regardless of how good he is in comparison to other characters, he's still not that great at it, so he's still going to lose most of the time in a 2v1 situation.

But with all that said, I like how the one thing you nitpicked out of my entire statement was the one thing I put in parenthesis, which states it's my opinion, and that it was the only part of my entire post that wasnt directly related to answering Admiral Pit's question.

Why dont you instead try and actually help me out and answer the question that this person asked in the Q&A thread, instead of trying to 'call me out' on a small and unrelated point which didnt have much, if anything, to do with what was asked, nor what I was saying.

Sharky

Smash Master
so if no character is good at 2v1s then why bother saying anything about it? If it's a basic thing that applies to everyone then it shouldn't be used in an individual analysis of the team.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I was explaining why separating Pit from Yoshi sucks, because it forces a 2v1 situation until Pit comes back. I guess I shouldnt have stated Yoshi is bad at 2v1s in the first place according to your guys' responses, even though I already parenthesized it as to show it was a separate statement from what I was trying to say.

Sharky

Smash Master
what I'm getting at is what makes this different from, say, snake and mk? you could easily say this for any doubles combination, according to everything you've said here and on skype.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What Im getting at is just because it applies to most, if not ALL team combinations, doesnt mean it should be ignored. That statement could easily be applied to any doubles combination, yes, so why does me pointing it out or speaking about it make me wrong?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Good/bad are relative adjectives. This means that, even though EVERYONE is at a disadvantaged spot when in a 2v1, Yoshi being good at handling the situation means he has viable options for escaping/fighting without getting destroyed like the rest of the cast does. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT ALLOWS HIM TO NOT BE RELIANT ON A TEAMMATE.

And OF COURSE I'm going to post an argument against something you said that I don't believe in. Nah, I'm gonna post an argument agreeing with you. Why waste the time? do you want validation that much?

Okay, Gashi, here it is: I agree with your entire post about the Pit/Yoshi team except the part about Yoshi being bad at 2v1 (he handles them fine).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Delta, read over what I said in the Skype Chat, I think you're not understanding what I mean and I dont feel like reiterating it all over again. Tbh, I think were actually saying the same thing, just Celes pointed out we're screwing each other over with word semantics.

Ill take a few really quick quotes though so you can see what I mean:
[2:07:03 PM] Z'zgashi: uhhh, my point wasnt that yoshi cant handle a 2v1, my point was that, regardless of how well yoshi does in that situation compared to other characters, it's still a disavantageous situation for him. I never said he couldnt hold his own, just that its still a bad situation
I never meant to say Yoshi was terrible, just that 2v1s usually dont end in Yoshi's favor, thats all.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I agree with that.

Still, his level of relative success in comparison to others in the cast is important when considering potential separation in doubles. That is what I have to say about the importance of getting ***** less.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wut, yoshi is hard to footstool. Sure, if you DO get footstooled you're ****ed, but it should never actually happen, Yoshi has the tools to prevent it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
A strange and rare occurrence where a Yoshi decides to descend down to the depths beneath the visible world, while performing strange disfiguring cartwheels. However, Im pretty sure this practice has been long forgotten as I havent seen a single dino attempt this feat in a millennium.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
A strange and rare occurrence where a Yoshi decides to descend down to the depths beneath the visible world, while performing strange disfiguring cartwheels. However, Im pretty sure this practice has been long forgotten as I havent seen a single dino attempt this feat in a millennium.
Lol, true. :x (lmao @ strange disfiguring cartwheels)

Top Bottom