• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

D

Deleted member

Well i didnt say anyhting about snake and hes not really relevent because he is fast and his move speed is pretty good(and grenades). and he can duck lazers.

I just think you are wrong. I could argue each thing individually but at this point i wont change any of your minds, so whatever. As if yoshi doesnt have a ton of nasty stuff he can do to falco,. I really do want to see kietaro vs some yoshi though, im curious as to why you guys think its so bad. just spotdodge lazers ;)

Yikarur

Smash Master
lol spotdodge is not reliable.

I agree with everything Delta and Z said. This Match-up is horrible. The only reason I rarely lose against Falco is lack of character knowledge.
the difference between random Falco XY and a Falco who knows how to play vs. Yoshi is one of the farthest differences I know in this game

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yika! <3

Spotdodge is reliable for dodging the second laser in a SHDL, but it doesn't actually get anything done and puts us at a frame disadvantage because he'll be landing while shooting that laser. This makes it not such a good idea closer up, but if you're trying to close some distance, spotdodging lasers is okay.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I play more Diddy and MK nowadays because Yoshi is mentally too exhausting. I can't keep cool in friendlies so I don't play him there at all anymore.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is viable if you have the control, there's not much more to say about it than this. Yes, this IS TRUE for most smash characters, but Yoshi's gain of the upper-hand can result in an entire stock being lost, example is Yami v Zudenka @ Paris 2011.

D

Deleted member 189823

Why is Lucario-Yoshi -3 in Lucario's favor? What makes it so bad?

D

Deleted member

Yoshi just cant approach, kill, or deal with most of lucarios options very well. Even short hop fair from lucario is just like right in the area yoshi doesnt like.

Some people dont think its that bad.
I used to not think its that bad.
It really really depends on if you get an early kill.

D

Deleted member

^ I just want to say that the relative "effort" (i dont know how else to say it) shouldnt really affect how bad the matchup is. Just because lucario doesnt have like something to spam against us doesnt mean he doesnt shut yoshi down hard. Just because falco can abuse a few options doesnt mean he beats us worse than a character that has to use a wider variety of options (not that you are saying that, im just clarifying).
Similarly to how MK destroys yoshi but has to work pretty hard at times to do it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think the effort a character needs to put in to shut us down actually is relevant, to a degree. Like, Falco can just camp us away, while Lucario can't. Since Lucario needs to actually fight us, it opens up more opportunities for reads, which gives us more to work with, as compared to Falco, who doesn't really even give us those kinds of opportunities.

D

Deleted member 189823

How are Snake and Olimar only -1s against Yoshis? I'd like to know these MUs better for when I actually face them in tournaments.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Against Snake we have to be very patient for kills,I really don´t try to kill Snake until he gets 150% or more.

We use eggs,dash grabs and pivots grabs a lot here,the main objective in this MU is to damage Snake as much as possible,and really take care at ANY approach.

I think the biggest problem on this MU is Snake´s resistence for kills,since Yoshi is not that good with kill moves.

Avoid Utilt,jabs,C4s,bombs and try to take Snake to the edge,since we can at least abuse of him when he is recovering giving some damage with eggs or edgeguarding with a good Fair.

This MU is definitely a little advantage for Snake,a +1 in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 189823

It's not strange to see him live that long against most characters, honestly, so it's alright.

What about Olimar?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think Olimar is a little less complicated than Snake,but still a -1 for us.

We have eggs to force his approach,but he has Pikmins to force our approach too,so we have to be more quickly with eggs than he is with pikmins,I think the best thing in this case is to already start throwing some eggs at the start of the match,because Olimar needs to prepare his pikmins first. :p

Both characters has a very useful Pivot grab,so use need to use it when we have the opportunity,but take care to don´t give a opportunity to him to do the same thing.

We can kill pikmins more easily than most of the cast(in my opinion) so to deal with pikmins is not THAT hard.

After approaching with a Bair,we can give a Usmash on his face too.(It never failed with me :p)

There are more things to talk about this MU,but I think these are some of the most important things on this MU...

D

Deleted member 189823

The problem with approaching with B-Air imo is the shield, unless it can be spaced well enough to prevent getting grabbed. How well does B-Reversal work in this MU?

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's running grab is very good against olimar, because almost no other character has a a move that outranges olimars grab on the ground. Yoshi can mixup bair, airdodge and neutral b on olimars shield.

Eggs can be good, but not really for forcing approaches. Some strong frame traps.
And unlike a lot of characters, when olimar is falling, yoshi can running grab him on landing, which cant be whistled.

Yoshi doesnt force olimar to approach, i dont know what hes talking about :p

-1 seems about right, leaning more towards -2 than 0.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yoshi vs Lucario is dumb.
Its very simple on the lucario's part. Are moves just naturally beat alot of yoshi's. Lulu's ground normals are natural at baiting spot dodges, and frame trap alot of what yoshi can do if he shields. They're nice long ranged and linger. His f-air just flat out beats alot of what yoshi can do in the air as well. And yoshi's main kill moves like u-air and u-smash get outranged by d-air. U-air can probably trade if you time it right though. but if you don't get that kill early we'll be living for quite awhile.

Oh. Also aurasphere can be irritating if its fully charged. It makes yoshi think twice about throwing eggs.

I'll admit though. Yoshi's n-air and jab are amazing momentum stoppers...

So yea. Lucario just naturally beats out alot of what yoshi can do, but only slightly. I think its -2 personally but hey, I never fought any of the top 5 yoshi before.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Imo Oli is a solid -1, Lucario a solid -2, and Snake is kinda in between -1 and -2 but imo more towards a -2 just cuz we have to be so on point to get anything done and his punishes are stupid good.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yoshi vs Lucario is dumb.
Its very simple on the lucario's part. Are moves just naturally beat alot of yoshi's. Lulu's ground normals are natural at baiting spot dodges, and frame trap alot of what yoshi can do if he shields. They're nice long ranged and linger. His f-air just flat out beats alot of what yoshi can do in the air as well. And yoshi's main kill moves like u-air and u-smash get outranged by d-air. U-air can probably trade if you time it right though. but if you don't get that kill early we'll be living for quite awhile.

Oh. Also aurasphere can be irritating if its fully charged. It makes yoshi think twice about throwing eggs.

I'll admit though. Yoshi's n-air and jab are amazing momentum stoppers...

So yea. Lucario just naturally beats out alot of what yoshi can do, but only slightly. I think its -2 personally but hey, I never fought any of the top 5 yoshi before.
Lucario is a -2 for these reasons. It used to be -3 for these reasons, but then we learned that we could use our mobility to not have to try and beat your moves out directly.

D

Deleted member 189823

You don't have to play the Top 5 Yoshis to be sure. If they're not in the Top 5 it doesn't mean that they aren't good players, it just means that they are not the best using their character.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to play the Top 5 Yoshis to be sure. If they're not in the Top 5 it doesn't mean that they aren't good players, it just means that they are not the best using their character.
Wutevn.

There are so many amazing players that are not Top 5, you wouldn't believe. The world has so many brawlers, lol... Top 5 means nothing, there's really no accurate way of saying one is better than another; most people say that Zudenka, Karamity and Delta are the best three, but there's no way of saying that this magic forth best (imo PRiDE - a mostly inactive yoshi) isn't actually the second best, they're all great players.

Top 5 means jack ****.
THIS.

D

Deleted member

^o gawd
Airslash did you just say that pride is a top 5 yoshi? LOL

Places 5/100, outplacing multiple socal ranked players
never top 5 yoshi
<---- This guy =D
/stillsalty ;)

maybe i will play again eventually. im sure i havent gotten worse than when i played WGF, ii havent had a controller since november but i sometimes play comps with Wiichuck to make sure dont suck. Posting on yoshi boards is more fun anyways =]

I do agree that there are quite a few decent-goodish yoshi players, and that the top 5 isnt really important.
GYK isnt top 5 and hes still da bess

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get top five, but being in Denmark (Eurosmash is dead, to be blunt)

I was playing KillLock today in wifi friendlies, really trying to improve...

If anyone is up for some wifi games, we should try... I'm going to attempt to make it to some large NA tournaments, but the money is several thousand krone.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Personally, you'd be better off saving up to travel when the next smash comes out (provided that's it's good enough to be competitively solid)

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm trying to get top five, but being in Denmark (Eurosmash is dead, to be blunt)

I was playing KillLock today in wifi friendlies, really trying to improve...

If anyone is up for some wifi games, we should try... I'm going to attempt to make it to some large NA tournaments, but the money is several thousand krone.
come to germany :p

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's just my personal opinion. You can still come over here if you were more or less planning to have a really good time socially (those are worth doing imo), but just for brawl, which is dying, it wouldn't be in your interest.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
I was reading a few posts back about the falco matchup, and I'd just like to say, I love it when people spot dodge lasers. It is literally a free punish. If you're further away, we can punish with a phantasm, and if you're about mid range we can dash attack or dacus. Don't spot dodge lasers. It's not a good idea. Just take the about 5-7% it takes to approach falco. You're a heavy character anyway.

Also, did the match between delta-cod and keitaro ever get uploaded?

Top Bottom