• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Sharky

Smash Master
1) yes you ETS to do it. You can practice it without having to be on a platform to get more reps in. If Yoshi's slide changes direction then you got it. I normally picture it like this: Start your ETS as you're about to leave the platform with the control stick around 1:00 or so. As soon as you make the input, roll the control stick over to 9:00. I say roll because it's easier to do if you are new to this stuff. Don't worry about starting the egg toss before he leaves the plat and b-reversing after he's off it or any crap like that, that isn't how it works. Just do it all just before he leaves the plat. He'll slide forward a bit then change direction as soon as he leaves the plat. I like using this to start matches on PS1 and BF, the trajectory makes for a great set-up because of the space it covers and where you land.

2) The platform has to be moving. It's easiest to do with dair, try that first. Flick right around when his feet begin to cross through the plat.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Still not getting the ETS platform trick right, it feels like such a complicated input for me. I'll just keep practicing it. Thanks a bunch Sharky :)

On another note, I believe I've just discovered a new form of DR! :o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsn0dXfvHmM
I'm not so sure about it's usefulness but I figured any new discoveries open up more possibilities :)
I'd really appreciate it if I could have some sort of feedback on this sometime.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Would anyone be willing to answer a few more queries for me?

1. When Yoshi's shield is hit, and he rolls away in the same direction as the attack after being hit, why does he roll twice as far as a normal roll, even to the point where he can roll right off the edge? Has anyone looked into this much?

2. What do we know so far about Yoshi's tongue gimp/egg lay time out?

3. I don't want to unnecessarily bump the Ledge and Banana tricks thread ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317875 ), so I'll ask here: Would anyone who knows how to do these mind explaining in more detail on how to do them? Eg how fast it has to be done, control setups etc. I'm particularly interested in L6~
Edit: As a matter of fact, the other day I DR'd the ledge accidentally, and on wifi lol.

4. I heard we've got a GR>Uair on Jigglypuff, but when I was at Grim Tuesdays house (Jigglypuff main) against his Jiggs, I could almost never get it. How fast do we need to react in order to get it to work?

Sorry for asking even more stuff, and sorry if these have already been discussed, just couldn't find much about these in the archives and I thought it would be interesting to know more about them. Cheers.

Also, I'd really like to help out this board more if possible, besides frame data and hitbox stuff, is there anything I can do to help?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Still not getting the ETS platform trick right, it feels like such a complicated input for me. I'll just keep practicing it. Thanks a bunch Sharky :)

On another note, I believe I've just discovered a new form of DR! :o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsn0dXfvHmM
I'm not so sure about it's usefulness but I figured any new discoveries open up more possibilities :)
I'd really appreciate it if I could have some sort of feedback on this sometime.
Thats actually not DR, its a crawl dash. Youre just doing it while landing :p And it does have a few cool applications like it shows on Yoshi's Island. Only characters with crawls can do it, hence the name, so you can only pull it off with Bowser, Diddy, Ivy, Lucario, Luigi, Pikachu, Sheik, Snake, Squirtle, Wario, Yoshi, and ZSS. Works best with Lucario, Luigi, Pikachu, Sheik, Squirtle, Yoshi, and ZSS, other characters dont get much distance so its not that useful.

Would anyone be willing to answer a few more queries for me?

1. When Yoshi's shield is hit, and he rolls away in the same direction as the attack after being hit, why does he roll twice as far as a normal roll, even to the point where he can roll right off the edge? Has anyone looked into this much?
Youre roll keeps the knockback from the move, so basically yeah, you just roll further. If you roll forward, youll roll in place as well (and this is bad, dont do it lol).

2. What do we know so far about Yoshi's tongue gimp/egg lay time out?
I dont know what you mean by that, but if youre talking about the egg lay fake (where your egg lay grabs them but instead of swallowing them, releases them) then how that worksm is if you grab them with the last frame the grab is out with egg lay, then they release instead of being swallowed because it takes too long for them to reach your mouth, so the animation ends before they get swallowed and therefore get released. Its hard to do consistently, but if done, we have a huge frame advantage.

3. I don't want to unnecessarily bump the Ledge and Banana tricks thread ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317875 ), so I'll ask here: Would anyone who knows how to do these mind explaining in more detail on how to do them? Eg how fast it has to be done, control setups etc. I'm particularly interested in L6~
Edit: As a matter of fact, the other day I DR'd the ledge accidentally, and on wifi lol.
L6 and L7 you have to ledge jump, then immediately double jump and either nair/uair. If done fast enough, the move will come out right before Wavelanding.

4. I heard we've got a GR>Uair on Jigglypuff, but when I was at Grim Tuesdays house (Jigglypuff main) against his Jiggs, I could almost never get it. How fast do we need to react in order to get it to work?
Its pretty lenient, just you have to be used to it. All you do it Air release, then Full Hop, move forward a bit, and uair. Just practice it a bit to get used to it.

Sorry for asking even more stuff, and sorry if these have already been discussed, just couldn't find much about these in the archives and I thought it would be interesting to know more about them. Cheers.

Also, I'd really like to help out this board more if possible, besides frame data and hitbox stuff, is there anything I can do to help?
The best way to help out is honestly to just help other Yoshis with questions to help them improve. You dont need to know the answers to everything (hell I get asked stiff all the time I dont know) but if you DO know or it reminds you of anything, feel free to share your thoughts. The best way to help people improve outside of actual practicing and gameplay is to get involved in discussions, ask questions, etc, so they best way to improve is usually to just try and be involved. Even just asking questions, like you are now, can help other people later as they read through some other time when they are wondering the same things.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks a bunch for answering all that Gashi, I really appreciate this help.
I'll try to get more involved.

Just how fast do we have to react to do the ledge tricks (L6/L7)? Is it similar to the input speed of DR? I'm hoping it's at least somewhat easier than that lol.

As for the crawldash thing, as ridiculous as this probably sounds, I didn't know you could do it while standing, I thought you had to do it after landing from a jump. I'd never gotten that much of a slide with the slope thing either. Sorry to ask, but would someone mind explaining them both to me?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
L6/L7 require your jump and attack to be much faster, but due to you needing to ledge jump, it gives you quite a good amount of time before your dj > attack so its a bit easier than 3 quick inputs as its 1 input > small gap > 2 fast inputs.
So basically, when DR is:
(Frame 1) Jump > (Frame 3-4ish) Double Jump > (Frame 6-7ish) Attack
L6/L7 are:
(Frame 1) Ledge Jump > (Frame 13-14ish) Double Jump > (Frame 14-15ish) Attack
So while the attack is closer to the double jump in L6/L7, you only need to make 2 inputs fast instead of 3 so it ends up being a bit easier. And it should be noted that those frames are prob not 100% correct, I was just trying to remember frames off the top of my head but am not sure if its correct. Regardless though, it shows the gaps within 1-2 frames for sure.

As for crawldash, im honestly not sure what causes the sliding by the edge (its due to the physics of brawl, i know that, just not sure exactly why it does that) but just doing a fast quartercircle forward or back allows you to slide like that. You can also slide forward with it, not only back. However, with Yoshi, it should be noted that the only crawldashing that actually helps him is landing crawldash and the ledge slide crawldash, as every other form of the crawldash is either slower or goes less far than DR.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks for the info, I've almost got it I think. I can DR the ledge now and do a quick rising Nair with this both on and offstage, but I can't get it on the ground like it's done in the vid. I guess it just comes down to timing~

When I'm trying to do the grounded crawldash both forward and backwards, all Yoshi's doing is ducking and rising >.>

On another note, I can't figure out his Nair lock either, is there a video or a detailed guide to it lying around somewhere?

I can just picture you guys groaning at me behind your screens irl lol :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
For Crawldash youve got to do a quarter circle forward or back (236 or 214 if you know Stick terms lol) motion and will just take practice to get down.

As for the nair lock, I dont actually remember what thread the info on that was in, so if someone else remembers they'll prob grab it, but it requires short hop fast fall nairs, sweetspot at REALLY low percentages but mostly softspot nairs.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You first need to land a sourspot Nair to create a forced get up. It's not a continuous lock cause only 1 Nair (sweetspot) works before they recover before you.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
On another note, I can't figure out his Nair lock either, is there a video or a detailed guide to it lying around somewhere?
I can just picture you guys groaning at me behind your screens irl lol :p
Not really, it's a Q&A. Place is meant to help others. And basically what scatz said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhaBzJpVSXQ#t=2m10s

Okay, big edit to help out.
What you need to do (depending on settings, I have X and R as special) before running off the edge to do the ETS platform (BF left platform for this example)thing is Y+X and Hit the control stick in the opposite direction of the way you're running off the platform (running right so quickly hit Left) and do the quarter circle starting at 8:00 to 2:00.
Here's a video example, and I tend to do this alot out of habit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-n2jmHSJc

Thats actually not DR, its a crawl dash.
Now gashi has this part wrong, it's not really a crawl dash persay since what that thing you posted is doing more than just hitting back the control stick. But it's something I actually talked about in the skype a couple months back.

I dunno about the usefulness, but what you did was basically buffer a Jump and Aerial to make yourself slide forward/backward instead of being stuck in the eggtoss animation when you throw the egg immediately after short hopping.
If anything, only thing I'd say it'd be useful for is going backwards if someone is running towards you, so you slide back and fsmash immediately instead of being stuck in the initial frames after throwing the egg.

As for the crawldash thing, as ridiculous as this probably sounds, I didn't know you could do it while standing, I thought you had to do it after landing from a jump. I'd never gotten that much of a slide with the slope thing either. Sorry to ask, but would someone mind explaining them both to me?
You can't really do the crawldash while standing. Luigi is just more floaty and has no friction, every stage is like ice for him.
Anyways, the crawldash you can do involves tapping the opposite direction from where ever you're facing. So if you jump to the left (facing left too) and you tap down and Right, you'll slide a bit. Kinda simple once you get it down, but not entirely useful. But hey, every little trick might work depending on the situation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOAFrFi-AQ#t=6m35s

Also, a neat trick I also randomly found a couple months back that involves the crawldash.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318820

For your ledge banana thing that gashi answered. When you're new to it, you'll most likely be seeing fair alot more. Gashi left that aerial out. Nair and Uair though are the only ones that'll hit enemies of course if they're too close. but only if you press em fast enough... and I believe it basically works by not moving the control stick at all until you press the A button to do the aerial.
So basically doing ledge/double jump in place, Then move forward and Press A. Most times when I do it, I either get it down and do Uair/Nair, or if I mess up, I double jump into the air while still off the stage.
Man, this'd be alot easier to explain if I knew how to upload brawl replays.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sorry the response was so late, massive thanks for covering all that.

And another question~
with the Nair to Dsmash combo, is it possible to land the Nair infront of the opponent, crawldash backwards into them, then do the Dsmash to get both hits in? Or would the landing lag from Nair stop that from working?

Also, I'm teaming with a DK for doubles at a tourney this weekend, has anyone here had any experience in this team?

D

Deleted member 189823

Is it a problem for others playing Yoshi on a laggy TV? I have this problem often in tournaments, and for that reason, I avoid using Yoshi there. Yesterday in the tournament (friendlies) I got 2-stocked twice by a friend while I beat him often in my house (my TVs have no lag, for some reason).

The TVs in the tournament were average, TVs, by the way. Most tournaments tend to have LCD screens.

Scatz

Smash Champion
CRTs are the way to go. LCD will always lag cause the Wii isn't made for them. Yoshi isn't really playable in lag unless you play a super campy playstyle I guess.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Yeah, aggro Yoshi doesn't work with that kind of delay lol. Using his already slow shield in lag is also annoying. On the bright side, eggs are stupid to deal with if there's lag. XD

:phone:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
how much higher do you think yoshi should be? he seems like he's gonna make a positive jump soon. he seems like he's too good to be so low. i think im gonna learn him :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Pretty much that.

Sometimes I think Yoshi should be a lot higher, but then I look at the characters I'd be moving him above, and I'm like "Oh..."

I don't think there's a big difference between him and a good number of characters above him, though.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
He should be high tier :awesome: Lololol~
I do think he's way underrated and deserves to go up a couple spots though imho.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
He's never technically gone down if I'm correct. I think he had a -1 once but that's only because they added Shielda.

:phone:
His placements per list have been: 32 > 33 > 32 > 30 > 29 > 28 > 26

So movement wise: -1 > +1 > +2 > +1 > +2 (Addition of Sheilda makes this a +2 instead of +1) > +2

So in the end, only 1 negative movement, and a total gain of +7 from the first list to now.

I'd prefer to be optimistic until proven otherwise.

Hence my super positive view on Falco until recent times.
I prefer being realistic over optimistic~

Also, imo right now, I dont really think Yoshi should be moving anywhere... Maybe up one spot, but I honestly dont think we should really be above anyone above us currently. Like, maybe Sheik, but after that, I think were done. Maybe something will change my mind and some point, but right now, I just dont think we have anything going for us to warrant a move in any direction.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was talking strictly with relations to MUs, Gashi. I tend not to be over optimistic, I think, but I'm of the mindset that it can't be TERRIBLE until I've experienced it.

Or unless it's really obvious.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
only above sheik? not even ike and dk? yoshi is hard to fight against unless you can camp him hard i think. but even then he has eggs. hes so slippery and confusing :p

D

Deleted member 189823

Why are Ike and DK higher than Yoshi, anyway? Aren't they more prone to being heavy-camped due to their size and lack of projectiles?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Ike: San, Ryo, etc.
DK: Will, Etc.

From what I can remember anyways. Also sry for name drops <3

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'm for Yoshi being above those two (of course :p), because they're: 1. big targets=easy to camp, juggle and combo.
2. not very hard to be gimped.
3. they might be heavy, but so is Yoshi, so he'll still survive long, and he's much much more maneuverable.

I realize they have an advantage of killing power and range, so I'm not saying Yoshi absolutely destroys them, just pointing out some of his advantages.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd be willing to put Yoshi up there, if not for the fact that Ike/DK have consistently shown themselves to outplace Yoshi and do better regardless. We've never had someone who has had the same success as San/Ryo for Ike or Will for DK.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sounds like we just need to place better ourselves then and iron out our tournament hurdles.

Maybe something like this could work: One of us comes back from a tournament. Presuming they didn't win, they talk to other Yoshi mains about who they lost to or what tactics troubled them etc, from there we band together to input our own solutions or advice? Since we all have different experience, we'd all have something to input that could help one another.
I know that seems pretty basic, but if we wanna move our character up the rankings, we've gotta help each other advance one way or another.

Top Bottom