• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Sharky

Smash Master
I will guarantee you now that name searching for Will will not bring up very many results that will have much to do with Will.

Or will it?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Will the Will of Fire really help provide people with the Will to Win?

Will getting a new pair of Nike shoes keep my feet warmer in the winter? Will they give my Yoshi enhanced power?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I always try to play as fast as I can, a couple things I do to accomplish such are running SH Nair>Jabs and DJC egg lays. And keep moving~
I'm actually looking for pointers in this area too, so any input from other Yoshis would be great for both of us I'm sure.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, don't look at me. :bee:

I recommend plenty of usage of Egg Lay tricks, at least. Also, work on your jab cancels. Being able to cancel jab 1 on people's shields is super good because it reduces their window for punishment and lets you continue pressure strings.

D

Deleted member 189823

I always find my Jab 1 to Jab 1 attempts to get punish with shieldgrabs. Does it only work on high percents?

D

Deleted member 189823

Sorry, playing too much Boozer with Jab Cancelling does that to you. :(

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Has anyone discovered any new Yoshi stuff by any chance? I wanna mix something new into my game.

And a question about DR; Which one makes you sink into the ground more, Bair or Fair? I use (attempt to anyway) the X,X,A method for DR and I can get it half the time, but it needs to be consistent so I wanna know which is more reliable.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Doesn't matter what attack you use. What matters is what frame(s) you input the buttons on.

You have 6 frames to input jump, jump, attack.

You do it that way and you won't technically leave the ground.

If you input the 2nd jump & attack on frames 8-9, the. You'll get 1 frame of heavy armor before landing back on the ground. Someone else can go into detail. Typing on a phone sucks lol.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
If you crawl backwards to the ledge, and roll the stick up to the top and immediately hit B.
You'll pop onto the ledge. Don't acceding lay down B tho you'll reverse and die.

Oh, and if you aim the egg right, you can throw it while falling to the ledge while doing this.

:phone:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Scatz: Thanks a lot for the info :) Now...how are you supposed to time your input on a specific frame though?0_o

Mr G&W: Heheh that's really neat, cheers! I'm already using it effectively in my game :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You can also just run off the ledge with an up b to get to the ledge. If you run towards the ledge, then do an up while running right before you go over the edge, youll do a grounded egg toss, so you wont hop, then slide off the ledge and autosnap the ledge.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Seems like that could be epic for edge guarding o_o Can you throw the egg in any direction or just a short toss upwards?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Any direction, just like a normal egg toss, you can turn and throw it behind you as you go over the ledge too

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Scatz: Thanks a lot for the info :) Now...how are you supposed to time your input on a specific frame though?0_o

Mr G&W: Heheh that's really neat, cheers! I'm already using it effectively in my game :p
Just practice. If you play with the GCC, you can set your controls up as:

Y = Jump
B = Jump
Cstick = Attack
X = Special.

With this, you can slide your thumb from Y, across B, into the C-stick, and get DR to come out. Just practice the timing/motion for it. It should be pretty easy if you put enough work into it.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
If you play with Tap jump on, there is another way to do the DR.
It's Tjump-X-A

Instead of pressing 3 different inputs at different times, after the Tjump, you'll be pressing X-A at the same time with your right thumb. You just have to get used to the time frame between the Tjump on the analog stick and the X-A. This way, it'll feel like you're only pressing 2 buttons instead of 3.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Isn't that every Yoshi?

Technically you can do it by jumping once with the dpad, jumping the second time with B and attacking with L, it'd just be hard.

I always used R(set to jump even now with MK)XA

:phone:

Sharky

Smash Master
I used to DR when I practiced this game. Nowadays I PR in pushups/situps/pullups/running/swimming instead =P

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ the truth.

Real talk, I only don't do it because I'm a lazy little ***** who doesn't want to practice.
So you dont want to practice, but you can play through allstar mode on intense hundreds of times?

Top Bottom