• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I disagree with almost everything you said.

:falco: = -3
:metaknight: = -2
:olimar: = -2
:lucario: = -2 and nowhere near hopeless
:snake: = -1 and nowhere near 65:35, more like 55:45 or AT MOST 60:40
:fox: = -1
:pit: = 0
:sonic: = 0 LOL at us losing to him

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Gashi, you (we) are very likely to lose to :sonic: if we lose the stock lead. We won't be able to just outright approach him since that blue testicle will just wait for us to screw up.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Aha, thanks! :3
I've posted here a few times before, but I'm never truly active/talkative (except for the past week or so.)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Gashi, you (we) are very likely to lose to :sonic: if we lose the stock lead. We won't be able to just outright approach him since that blue testicle will just wait for us to screw up.
You do know I play _X_ on a weekly basis, right?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
And SA is home of Snakes and Sonics.
Turbo, Zero, Espy, we had omega come down back in 09, and some other random sonics that has come and go.

But notoriously Espy I play most of the time in bracket or during the smashfests I host.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I knew you guys lived in the same state, but didn't know you guys played every week.
Btw, I did say we are likely to lose to him given the circumstance I mentioned in the previous post, but it's not impossible to bring it back somehow.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hence why I said its even lol... Look at WuvS post, hes saying we lose -1 to Sonic.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Bad Yoshi's opinions mangz ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
I just find it really hard annoying to get in and doing anything. Whenever I play with Ant (lol Wifi Sawnic) or MeekSpeedy, I don't do horribly, just super tedious. I guess -1 was a bit harsh~

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Sonic is probably the most boring character to play against,at least for us.

I believe he can have a +1 advantage over us on lag-fi.

Offline is a different story though,he's so free here,probably +1 for us.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I can't even operate Sonic on wifi unless there's zero lag 0_o Wish Sonic wasn't such a boring character to play/go against though.
Anyway it's great seeing all this meaningful discussion!:bee: Hopefully one day I'll have enough experience to input something useful toward these discussions. :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bad Yoshi's opinions mangz ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
I just find it really hard annoying to get in and doing anything. Whenever I play with Ant (lol Wifi Sawnic) or MeekSpeedy, I don't do horribly, just super tedious. I guess -1 was a bit harsh~
I already see the problem...

Stop trying to get in on Sonic lol, its not worth it. Camp him out and force him to come to YOU, where you can then wall him with pivot grabs, egg lays, bairs, nairs, etc. If you get a grab, chain grab him and throw him at the ledge.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I already see the problem...

Stop trying to get in on Sonic lol, its not worth it. Camp him out and force him to come to YOU, where you can then wall him with pivot grabs, egg lays, bairs, nairs, etc. If you get a grab, chain grab him and throw him at the ledge.
This.

Though, what do we do if we lose the lead? He's not going to approach us then. Not only that, but it's hard to approach him without getting *****.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Eh, we can just not outright approach him. Close the distance like I do against Fox, then pivot grab/wait. It's not easy, yeah, but it's not a complete blowout.

Any lead can be recovered. I think Sonic has a harder time recovering leads against us, anyways.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Guys I need some last minute MU advice :c What're our best moves/strategies to use again ROB? I've already read through the MU thread for ROB but I'm not sure how much of that's still relevant anymore. And can we punish his Dthrow to Uair or are we better off DJing away from it?

Also, would a angled stutter step-Fsmash work against an approaching Jigglypuff? I have more trouble with this MU than I should lol.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Play footsies at mid range against ROB, walling with bairs and stuff just outside his ftilt range, and make him scared to use Gyro/Laser due to you being close, and punish him with nairs/bairs/egg lays if he ever tries to Laser/Gyro or get aggressive. As for his dthrow>uair, just double jump away, but if you double jump armor a hit, you can nair him in between hits, the timing is hard though.

As for Jigglypuff, I wouldnt suggest using fsmash, shes always in the air and shes fast, so she can dodge and punish it easily. Use more short hop egg lay and pivot grabs to keep her at bay, and use retreating egg toss to pester her if she ever loses her ground. Practice getting your grab release to uair down for Jiggs, as its SUPER helpful and kills her around 80%. Also, running usmash is great against puff as your head is invincible during it, so its a great anti air if you predict a jumping bair from Jiggs or something.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks dude! I've always had trouble against ROB, so all of that advice should prove very helpful at tomorrows tourney.

Here's the thing about the GR>Uair, I can get it against cpus fine but offline against a real person they're always just out of range :urg:
How good is SH Nair as an alternative kill move in this MU?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Its a good option, but you should still try your best to get the uair timing down. Jiggs will die off the top really easy, so learning to land uair is a great thing to know for the MU.

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
Good to see some ROB advices, I've some difficulties against him.

I really don't know who should camp who in this MU. Is spamming Up-B really usefull in this MU ? If I don't have ROB's gyro, I would say I got ***** when I try to camp. But, maybe Yoshi can count on his mobility to outcamp ROB ?

I really don't know if I should be more at large range or at middle range, and that's probably why I can't do well for the moment on this match-up as I try to mix my positions.

I also HATE G&W. Up-B and reverse grab help me a lot to raise %. But I really have problems to kill that guy and got ***** before. I can't UpSmash or UpAir easily his Dair, my Fsmash got generally ***** by his Bair or Fair. Nair et Dsmash are easier to place on him but they kill really late. I use Down-B a lot in this MU but got ***** when I fail it, because of Down-B's lag. He is also good offstage and hard to kill there. How do you mainly kill G&W please ? :o

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Do not camp Rob. It's really not worth it, except under certain circumstances, like you're at really high percents and he's not. Because he can't kill you while you're camping, and damage taken once you hit like, 150-160 doesn't matter, so you might as well camp back for safe damage without significant risk in death.

Lke this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3Ed-XuiY0

Otherwise, it's better to stick around mid range and approach with Bair/DJCEL, then move to juggle/carry momentum.

Like in these matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbPRj3u-rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r3KlQ8Lrw&playnext=1&list=PL4A4327203F8B5634&feature=results_video

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ This (way to copy exactly what I said 5 posts earlier but with videos ;p) And eggs arent too useful against ROB unless hes offstage or occasionally while hes in the air, unless of course youre at high percent like Delta said, cuz then its okay to trade laser hits for eggs as more damage at that point doesnt matter.

And as for GW, you can shield grab his dair if he dairs your shield (but only if he lands in front of you), so do that, and dont try to force kills on GW, as hes really good at abusing over aggressiveness. Just take the match slow and safe, and if you see an opening for a nair/uair/usmash (usmash him for using a predictable bair or fair, as it will beat it out if youre below him), then you can kill him. And when GW is offstage, dont try to kill him, its not worth it, he has one of the safest Up B's as it has invincibility, so just pelt him with eggs and if he recovers high (which he really shouldnt be doing) try to get under him for a uair as he cant hit below him without dairing which is obviously not smart for GW to do offstage lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, he asked a question which required the same answer. :bee:

I didn't know you could shield grab GnW's Dair. Amazinnnnnnng.

If GnW is high enough offstage and you try to get below him while he's recovering, he could always just slowfall Dair to hit you. I don't recommend going for an attack outside of certain positionings, and even then I think you'll need an egg to cover you/create a setup.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If GnW is high enough offstage and you try to get below him while he's recovering, he could always just slowfall Dair to hit you. I don't recommend going for an attack outside of certain positionings, and even then I think you'll need an egg to cover you/create a setup.
if he recovers high (which he really shouldnt be doing) try to get under him for a uair as he cant hit below him without dairing which is usually not smart for GW to do offstage lol.
Delta wit dat repeat of what I said twice in a row now ;p

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Tournament starts in a few hours...thanks again for all the advice and info guys :)
Good stuff with the G&W info too.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Do not camp Rob. It's really not worth it, except under certain circumstances, like you're at really high percents and he's not. Because he can't kill you while you're camping, and damage taken once you hit like, 150-160 doesn't matter, so you might as well camp back for safe damage without significant risk in death.

Lke this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3Ed-XuiY0

Otherwise, it's better to stick around mid range and approach with Bair/DJCEL, then move to juggle/carry momentum.

Like in these matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbPRj3u-rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r3KlQ8Lrw&playnext=1&list=PL4A4327203F8B5634&feature=results_video
You just wanted an excuse to post those matches, didn't you?

I see you.

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta wit dat repeat of what I said twice in a row now ;p
Except you said GnW shouldn't be Dairing offstage if you get below him, which is false, because Slowfall DAir is a thing.

You just wanted an excuse to post those matches, didn't you?

I see you.

:005:
Including the match I lost? Nahhhhhhhhhh

I think they're the best representatives of the MU, though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Except you said GnW shouldn't be Dairing offstage if you get below him, which is false, because Slowfall DAir is a thing.

Including the match I lost? Nahhhhhhhhhh

I think they're the best representatives of the MU, though.
You do know our uair outranges his dair, and we can also DJ into the dair, armor it, and nair him, right? He shouldnt be dairing offstage in general

/plays against a lot of gw

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Slowfall dair doesnt hit us out until like, sometime just before the triple digit %. And outrangeing slowfall dair is pretty easy, GW falls super slow and we have a decent margin of error

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
He can also slowfall it whenever he wants during the move. It's not that straightforward. Like, it's easily possible for him to do a normalfall DAir until he hits/gets past us, then slow fall so he doesn't get too low.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hey guys I'm not sure if somebody already asked this, but I can't seem to find out how to do it anywhere; how do you do the reversed aerial egg lay while changing your horizontal moment into that direction? iirc I've seen some Yoshi's do it without their double jump

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Press B (or whatever button is your Special) and click the opposite direction a half second later. Messing up results in either egg laying same direction, changing direction but not changing momentum, or egg rolling.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Its good that you're trying to implement egg lay into your gameplay some mu's are almost impossible without it. Just remember this, if you want the reversal you input b first then the direction. If you want a turn around egg lay (momentum doesn't change but Yoshi turns around) you input the direction first then B. When you get that down, learn the DJ cancelled turn around egg lay for some sexy mixups. <3

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
:grin: Sounds great!

I was watching some of Zudenka's vids and saw him used DJ cancelled turn-around egglay and figured it out. Pretty usefull and looks pretty sexy when it lands :]

Top Bottom