• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
That's who I learned it from :D It's really useful when you know someone will spotdodge. For example, you jab MK at low percent and run towards him. Most MK's will usually spotdodge because they expect all of us to go for a dash grab, but you can punish that by running past them instead and doing a DJC turn around egg lay (or if you don't have that down yet a simple pivot grab once you run past them works too). On the contrary, stupid MK's will just throw out a random move and you will get punished. Kinda funny how it works in situations like this. MK A is thinking and knows most Yoshis want to go for a dash grab so he will spotdodge. MK B doesn't know wtf is going on and what a Yoshi is, so he will panick and throw out some random move which will punish us trying to punish what we thought would be a spotdodge. :awesome:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yo real talk, I get hit by people in my dorm all the time when I try to pull stuff like that. A lot of their responses to being hit are to just throw out attacks.

I actually recommend trying to use attacks rather than defensive options when playing in tournament now. It really throws off people's followup game because they naturally expect defensive reactions.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I think knowing your opponent and what they like to do in these types of scenarios would work here. Possibly testing your opponent's reaction one or two times to certain situations and act accordingly could do you good.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Lol, you should've been in the Yoshi chat last night. I actually went over some of this then.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I can't find the Yoshi Skype chat anywhere, can someone add me to it again if I'm not already there?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This is becoming a headache, I still can't find the group anywhere. Google isn't helping either. You can't search for groups either huh?
...maybe removing me from it and sending me the invite again might work?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hello Yoshi players, I have a question.

I'm a Lucario main and I happen to be teaming with a Yoshi main.

My question is. What should I expect from Yoshi? And what should Yoshi expect from me?

I also use Lucas in teams so the same question would also apply.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
If you're thinking of our team for LanSmash in April, yeah I'm wondering this question too. Yoshi's weight+my recent improvement in DI should prove valuable hopefully. (I'm living to around 160-170% now in most instances, I have video proof <3 ) Yoshi can stock tank well imo, but I'm an aggressive player so whichever style works best for you I'm fine with.
Since he's so mobile and maneuverable, I should be able to come help you whenever you're in trouble as well.
Just don't Fsmash me if either of us are at 150% XD

Other than that I'm better off leaving this to the pros. (One day..)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yoshi likes teammates who can reliably get KOs, so ideally, a Yoshi/Lucario team should have Lucario doing most of the work offensively, while Yoshi stock tanks. This will allow you to take advantage of Aura, so though Yoshi can play offensively, he will definitely want to hang on to stocks as much as he can for this team. Also, if you can get an advantageous position over both opponents, Aura Spheres together with Eggs make a projectile wall that can be pretty frustrating to deal with; just make sure Yoshi is behind Lucario, or on a platform above him. It also pays to know how to follow up on Yoshi's guaranteed grab releases; for example, grab release -> Fsmash on MK makes a very easy to land KO set-up that can kill really early if your Aura is strong enough.

A lot of the above applies to Lucas as well, except without the Aura stuff; Yoshi will still probably want to stock tank though, with Lucas getting most of the KOs. Make the other team scared of getting grabbed by Yoshi by having Lucas Usmash out of his grab releases. :smirk:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Definitely make sure you know how to follow up on Yoshi's Grab Releases.

Firefly is pretty much right. Yoshi is a very solid stock tank. His projectile is good for covering you. I found that last time I did teams, hanging behind my partner and throwing eggs above his head helped put on some good pressure. Naturally you need to be careful with eggs, though. However, eggs rack up good damage (9% fresh), so having Yoshi land them is pretty good.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yoshi's heavy, has a good recovery, and is mobile. Very good stock tank, imo. The only thing is that he doesn't have the same damage potential as MK does while doing the Anubis strategy, nor is he as safe.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Let Yoshi have space to work with. Yoshi likes to move around so that he can either fight or retreat. Cramped stages don't help Yoshi out much perse. He's good support with Lucario leading the charge because of the grab release and egg support. Just know that if he has someone grabbed, you can't hit him or else you'll smack Yoshi.

Make sure you just have a plan in case the Anubis strategy doesn't work. Both are decent in killing (Lucario a variable as known) and good at combos, but with your lingering attacks, you can end up tipping Yoshi's nose (it's pretty damn big) when you're trying to attack a foe.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Yer, sure. I'll think of another a plan encase it fails. I had a feeling ANIBUS wont be as safe with Yoshi.

What are good stages besides FD? (I assume FD is good because of the space)

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I asked this in the Social, but I'd like the opinions of other Yoshis. :p

Is Yoshi better in the air, or the ground, and why?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Both in a sense :p It depends on the MU mostly, but in general I find he's better off just switching it up between his ground and air game, which he can do easily.

Big 4am post:
Ground game advantages and disadvantages:
*Good ground speed (But if you add in DR...:awesome: )
*One of the best spot dodges
*Shield can't be poked (mostly >_>)
*Can shield MKs tornado :bee:
*Has a good jab1 (Pretty sure this is right?)
*His pivot grab is really good

-Has trouble approaching a lot of characters from the ground
-Shield takes a while to put up+can't jump out of it
-Laggy roll

Air game advantages and disadvantages:
*Highest air speed in the game
*Bair sets up for attack strings, both aerial and ground
*You can do a quick turn around double-jump Uair or Nair as a surprise kill move
*Nair comes out fast
*You can approach from the air with a lot of mix-ups, eg Breverse then DJC back toward them again.

-It's too easy to SD with egg roll when trying to B-reverse off-stage
-Can be hard to get back down safely, especially if your opponent cancels out your double jump

Too tired to think of anything else, I'll update this post later unless someone else covers the rest. -w- A lot of this you probably already know, but sometimes it's easier to do a comparison when it's written down in front of you.

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
I don't have a Wii at the moment so I've begun losing the feel for a lot of mechanics in Brawl. What is it about yoshi's forward air that makes it so much less appealing in this game? Yoshi's bair is really good in Brawl, and I wouldn't ever think about straight up approaching with a fair, but there must be some place for his fair in all of this.

I get hit by people in my dorm all the time when I try to pull stuff like that.
Oh and I thought people were getting mad and hitting you for real when you said this.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Fair has a lot of start-up time in Brawl, but it doesn't have as much recovery time as it looks like it should, which can make it useful for baiting people.

It can make for a pretty funny punish sometimes too. One time, a Marth made the mistake of punishing something I did on his shield with UpB when I was still at low %s, so I drifted over as he was falling and Fair spiked him into the ground when he landed, giving me free follow-ups. Stuff like this obviously shouldn't happen very often if at all, but it's good to know about things like this so that on the off-chance that your opponent does leave themselves in a very vulnerable position, you can make the most of it.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Umm, when people are trying to edge guard me when I'm hanging at the ledge I drop down, and double jump rising fair, and nail them as I come over the ledge. Pretty easy to time. But dont expect to land it more than twice since your opponent should know what comming by then.

I usually rarely hit with fair when I'm not trying to spike however other than that scenario. To help it land when I am trying to spike, is fast falling a decent distance from above and time it. As I said, timing is pretty easy.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I asked this in the Social, but I'd like the opinions of other Yoshis. :p

Is Yoshi better in the air, or the ground, and why?
Technically, he's more sound on the ground because of DR, but it's not by much. Yoshi is able to utilize his air and ground options fairly fluidly to create a dodgy playstyle. His matchups often force one side of his game to be more prevalent; however, you still have to use the other side to keep the edge. Best example I can give is versus the Wario matchup. Yoshi's ground game is stronger than his air game because it's less bait-able, and allows you to bait stronger than his aerial game. His ground game allows for better punishing too. Yet, his aerial game still matters (just not as much) to keep Wario walled out from getting in Yoshi's face.

TL;DR - Due to DR, his ground game is slightly better than his air game because it allows him to be much less commit-able than his air game; however are needed to create a concrete game.

I don't have a Wii at the moment so I've begun losing the feel for a lot of mechanics in Brawl. What is it about yoshi's forward air that makes it so much less appealing in this game? Yoshi's bair is really good in Brawl, and I wouldn't ever think about straight up approaching with a fair, but there must be some place for his fair in all of this.

Oh and I thought people were getting mad and hitting you for real when you said this.
The changes they made to his Fair from Melee to Brawl made it worse. It's overly complex for a move that was just a meteor smash and the range is smaller than his Melee counterpart. With Brawl being so defensive, you can't use it with efficiency for the two methods it was originally for - spiking and comboing. Like Firefly said, it's purposes are more useful for baiting overaggressive players. It can work as a last minute counter due to the way he pulls himself back, but take note that it's not much lol.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
@Nikes: I thought it was his shield DROP that was laggy?
Also, I didn't know he had best aerial movement; I thought that was Wario. :p
Then again I might be mixing up with the ability to maneuver left & right lol

@Scatz: Alright, thanks for the info. :)

Scatz

Smash Champion
His shield drop is laggy. Idk what he's talking about. Also, Yoshi has best top speed air movement, but average air acceleration.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I forgot to put that in, as I said it was 4am when I wrote it so I wasn't thinking very clearly.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hey guys, i'm aware we have a full MU export thread for Yoshi but its like old, and i didnt get as much as I wouldve like to out of some of the discussions taken place. I see that Z'zagashi made a newish MU thread but its very the characters already disscussed is pretty abyssmal. Unless i'm missing something or just being dumb, is that MU thread ever gunna get finished? Cuz i have some trouble with a few match ups, and the help would be great.

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
5 of us (more of 3.5 people) are discussing Matchups for Yoshi for v3 of the chart. Give it about two months at most and the next chart will be out.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You can always ask for MU advice here or in the Skype chat. We're perfectly happy to give advice/help if you ask for it. We just lack a MU thread for this stuff.

Top Bottom