• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

D

Deleted member 189823

Look who's back, everybody's favorite Yoshi. :awesome:

So, those who've been on the Skype chat yesterday kind of know what I want to ask.
I wonder, how do we have 0 against ICs and -1 against Olimar? Olimar is actually believable, but ICs...?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We're currently arguing with the ICs since they want it as -1.
Three of us wanted Olimar to be possibly -2 but we decided other Matchups are more important right now.

To slightly answer your question with as minimal writing as possible.
We can at least play the keep away game and camp game better against ICs while Olimar does both better than us since he's faster than ICs, more range, and of course infinite Pikmin.

Doesn't help that Purple can kill us around 90% either.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hey guys, I have a question about Egg Roll's priority, as it seems to be pretty random. And are there any practical uses for egg roll besides suprise attack?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's not much to say, it's literally random. Two hitboxes that don't change/spin with the egg.

As for uses... It's kinda good for stopping momentum and living longer if you can get to the ledge that is, or as an anti-air move.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
@Sinister Ohhh, kinda like when GaW uses bucket? I'm pretty sure with yoshi's air speed we can get to the ledge if we are high enough.

Edit: One more thing. What are some good secondaries for Yoshi? I secondary/duo main Dedede but I'm not sure if thats enough. Glaring matchups for me are MK, Diddy, ICs, and ZSS...

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
Edit: One more thing. What are some good secondaries for Yoshi? I secondary/duo main Dedede but I'm not sure if thats enough. Glaring matchups for me are MK, Diddy, ICs, and ZSS...
^BEEN MEANING TO ASK THIS.

I currently also play ROB, but I feel ROB can't effectively cover everything either.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
While we're all asking questions; What's a good strategy against DDD on Delfino? DJC egg lay seems to work well against him, but everything else seems too dangerous. Even when I purposely tried to keep myself from getting grabbed it still happened, way too much. I had to time him out to win. -___- (Tourney set)

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
While we're all asking questions; What's a good strategy against DDD on Delfino? DJC egg lay seems to work well against him, but everything else seems too dangerous. Even when I purposely tried to keep myself from getting grabbed it still happened, way too much. I had to time him out to win. -___- (Tourney set)
Well I secondary DDD so I think I can be of help. On Delifino specificaly; at the start of the match I'd throw eggs at DDD forcing approach. I say this because DDD can easily stop a DJC egg lay with a f-tilt or a waddle. My advice would be to play extreemly evasive and gey :/. Dont be afraid to take the fight to the skies cuz our bair is faster and has more priority that DDD's iirc. To avoid DDD's almighty grab is difficuly, but doable if you space properly and poke their sheild with bair and retreat. Make sure not to get grabbed at the walk off part of delefino. I would encourage the abuse of DJC egg lay against sheild happy DDDs. The hardest thing to do tho would be to get the kill...while he has no problem killing you. Just tack on as much dmg as you can and dooont rush the kill. If you do, you will get grabbed, and eat a ton of dmg. DDD can also d-tilt us out of a chain grab.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks a lot Courage. I'd imagine it'd be pretty safe to go to juggle DDD while he's airborne, the trick is getting him there first. Wonder if d-throw to Bair could work...
What use does him d-tilting us out of a CG have?

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Thanks a lot Courage. I'd imagine it'd be pretty safe to go to juggle DDD while he's airborne, the trick is getting him there first. Wonder if d-throw to Bair could work...
What use does him d-tilting us out of a CG have?
Well aside from d-tilt having killing potential, it can put us at an insane angle off the stage and possibly set us up for a gimp if not careful. If you were to juggle DDD i'd do it from an angle to avoid down air. Or just throw eggs.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Ah. I have a lack of DDD knowledge and experience, so that's good to know, thanks. I guess it's strong enough to knock us out of our double jump armor too, will have to be very watchful for that.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Lastly be weary of inhale. He can use it defensively like to stop aerial approaches as well as the DDDcide when he's ahead. I heard if you both are at last stock when that happens, DDD wins.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
You guys have any tips vs Marth?
Stay out of his tipper range and camp him with short-mid distanced Egg Tosses and pivot grabs and bait with them egg lays. Trying not to get hit is the key. As soon as you get hit even once, you'll fall into his zone of pressure and it'll become rather difficult to reset the situation since he's gonna' on your *** from that point onward. Though, when you do get hit, just run away and try to reset as best as you can. If he gets too close (Like... in your face kind of close) jab like there's no tomorrow. Or if you do wind up spot dodging, buffered down B (lol Raptor) is also typically pretty safe and its fast as ****.

If Marth comes at you at like....a 45 degree angle, you won't be able to pivot grab it if he's close enough. In this situation, just Upsmash instead. If Marth does a retreating Fair from that 45 degree angle, do a running Upsmash and make sure you do it fast so that the tip of the sword won't poke Yoshi's belly. The invincibly frames from Upsmash should save you from the problem. If he's landing far enough from that 45 degree angle approach, you can punish his landing with a dash grab, but be careful in case he decides to DS upon landing.

Also, Marth is booty when he's directly above Yoshi (or anyone, really) because he doesn't have any effective tools that are sufficient enough to save him from that area. Marth's Dair is bad in this scenario because it's a one shot chance. If he misses it, he's ****ed. His only other option is the Counter, but as long as you can see that coming, this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You don't want to be above Marth either though. His Uair will keep you up there for days at a time and any good Marth is going to tipper it just about every time.

The worst part is that against Marth, spotdodge out of reflex is also bad and will get you to fall more deeply into the Marth pressure that you're already in. The best thing you should do against Marth is to show them that you're not scared of that range by not spotdodging/sheilding whiffed moves and aerials. The other best thing is basically everything else that I've said.

I think that's all I've got. Hope this helps. : )

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Thanks MX ^_^

I'll be sure to put this into practice. I'll have to definitely work on not spot dodging. Dancing blade hurts ;o
No problem bro, anytime. Yes, Dancing blade is a *****, but everything else Marth has is a lot worse.

Ah. I have a lack of DDD knowledge and experience, so that's good to know, thanks. I guess it's strong enough to knock us out of our double jump armor too, will have to be very watchful for that.
Also, Yoshi's bair may be faster, but it will NOT beat DDD's Bair. His bair has a lot more range and stays out fairly long as well. At best, our bair will trade with his, Yoshi will still get the short end of the stick on that because Dedede has the longest deformed toe that anyone has ever seen.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
So I have a question about Dragonic Reverse.. I cant fire it off right off the bat (probably because Im impatient and expect results even tho I know this thing takes time to even get right consistently, even tho I've been working at it on/off for about a month?), but, after messing around with it last night, I can pull it off almost consistently as a landing (ALOT more so than on command).

The controller Im using is the CC pro, and I set jump to X, A, and L (yeah Im weird. grew up using R to shield instead of L in melee). my attack to B, and my my right stick to smash. Basically, it emulates the GC controller from melee, except with tap jump off and having an extra shoulder button.

Anyways, I would slide my thumb across a-b once with no direction and I get an n-air. I noticed that I have after the move ends, there was a small window where I could input another aerial (but I think it'd get autocanceled? idk.), and so I figured I could add in a jump input before the aerial, and I basically get the DR in when I land. however, I found that I can actually move too quick and the timing becomes wider and I'd just barely miss.

With the above conditions, it probably wouldnt take too long before a really good player catches on during the match and shield the attack (right?), but if given enough mixups and proper spacing (like using it to grab instead of an attack, or even charging a smash for a bit if I predict a spotdodge?) and if I dont spam it (like all of yoshi's other moves), it could still be very effective I think.

Probably someone already talked about it, but I wanted to share and hear thoughts on it. Should I still try to learn the straightforward one? or get used to DR landing it, then learning how to straight up DR later? or should I drop the tech altogether and learn2space? (Im pretty bad at it, but I am slowly learning thro my beatings from da masters heh heh...)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhaBzJpVSXQ#t=56s
?
It's better to just practice regular DR instead of the one for landing it's about as finnicky to get as regular DR while grounded.
Though most Yoshi's at the time also didn't use DR much, hell back in 08-11 our best Yoshi's didn't use next to any techs. I had to teach Polt easier ways to Platform cancel and how to B-reverse.

Also just preference for me since the B is further away from the X (which you're using for your jump) I used X for Special and R for attack. But upon switching to GC controller (which is better for both tournaments and what every Yoshi now, at least ones that're left) Jump was B and Special being X and R. Should probably change to GC inbetween every week or two to get different feels incase you need to switch from the CC cause of "take out batteries every match" rule most tournaments have these days.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
ewww I have to replace batteries EVERY match? o.o lol that makes me wonder how many ppl had batteries run out on them mid-match...

anyways, the landing I was doing looked like that, only with an nair/bair in the jump, then followed by the landing. idk it just helps me time it better (tho yeah like you said I should be doing the normal one heh heh)

Also, I would be using a GC controller, but I have a wii-u, and they dont use GC controllers :(

Edit: Huh, I think I might like setting attack to R (only, I just set it to L b/c I use R to grab). really tho, I dont use my left index finger at all. its there for support really

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll answer your question in the video I'm going to make on DR (since I've gotten multiple questions on it).

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'd be highly interested in seeing that vid Scatz. On that note, it's probably not worth me trying to use the default 'notap' control scheme for DR anymore since it's so hard to be consistent with except on slopes :/ *random double jump Fair/Bair instead lulz*

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Slopes you say? I havn't tried it on a slope before...hmmm...

Well anyway I am also looking forward to Scatz's vid. Though I gave up trying to learn to use the GGC if that has any relevance or importance to the video. Still, I believe I could still learn from it

Scatz

Smash Champion
If you're getting DJ Attack after doing it, then you're doing it too slow. The attack input is placed a few frames after Yoshi jumps, so that's why you're getting that. It's generally better to ask me a solution to those kinds of issues because I've already done the work and know what happens when you see something that puzzles you.

Even if you gave up on the GCC, I can still help. It might take me slightly longer, but I used to play on the CC before going to the GC. CC was where I started learning the DR too. So, I have some things to help make it easier, but the reality of it is that the CC's buttons are farther apart than the GC, making it harder to do the same method as you can on the GC.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
I'll answer your question in the video I'm going to make on DR (since I've gotten multiple questions on it).

If you're getting DJ Attack after doing it, then you're doing it too slow. The attack input is placed a few frames after Yoshi jumps, so that's why you're getting that. It's generally better to ask me a solution to those kinds of issues because I've already done the work and know what happens when you see something that puzzles you.

Even if you gave up on the GCC, I can still help. It might take me slightly longer, but I used to play on the CC before going to the GC. CC was where I started learning the DR too. So, I have some things to help make it easier, but the reality of it is that the CC's buttons are farther apart than the GC, making it harder to do the same method as you can on the GC.

Oooh cool. cant wait to see the vid! O.O

and yeah some tips on CC would be awesome. no tap for me also. I would frequently get SH aerial or a DJ aerial, but only once in a blue moon would I get it. while in practice mode. i can never be quick enough xP

I've read thro part of the thread where u and a couple of others were first crafting DR, but its been so long since I have, and all I remember is the XXA and XLA methods (only I'd do AAB and/or ALB for my control scheme)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Quick question, do we have a CG on Snake or not? I've heard mixed opinions on this.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks, that clears a lot of confusion out of the way. :p I read that we did in the grab release>spike thread but I was having trouble believing it, it's an old thread anyway though.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
So guys. I'm pretty sure we all know egg roll is a pretty bad move. Buuut I wanted to know if any of you guys found conventional uses for it in certain MUs or certain situations. I mean the move has speed, power and (random but usually decent)priority. Just wondering if you guys found a way to put it to good use. I find using it randomly against opponents who dont know how to deal with it is ok at times, but I guess that doesnt really count.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
As it's been mentioned a few times, it's a great anti air move, especially if they're short hopping. I also use it to get away to safety and give myself a chance to reset if I need to, but its situational.
And it's really good in the Olimar MU :D

D

Deleted member 189823

...What. Egg rollolol as an anti-air? How is that supposed to work? I think it's speed should punish landings, but that's about it.
I only use it by accident when I mess up DJELC, and just go with it and roll away.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
So I keep messing up my pivot grabs and instead am getting dash grabs out of a small dash-dance (moving back, then forward, then dash grab). How do I correct this?

Also, what should I be doing when fighting close up?

Edit: Additionally, did that vid ever get made? o.o

Top Bottom