• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Scatz

Smash Champion
Not yet. I have a lot of personal stuff getting in the way of me finishing the video.

D

Deleted member 189823

How do you throw eggs straight out of a dash? I could do it just fine with Tap Jump on, but now that I de-activated it, I have to take a halt. The dash eggs allowed more flexiblity.

Sharky

Smash Master
So I keep messing up my pivot grabs and instead am getting dash grabs out of a small dash-dance (moving back, then forward, then dash grab). How do I correct this?

Also, what should I be doing when fighting close up?

Edit: Additionally, did that vid ever get made? o.o
Fix that by pressing grab before inputting the direction change.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Anyone have any advice vs Falco? Ya know besides not getting grabbed of course.

Its just that I never feel that I'm never able to get in without committing to an option(which from my experience are alll punishable..), and I can never be truly "safe" even at neutral due to lasers.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Falco is our worst MU. Your feelings of helplessness are justified.

I dunno what to say really. He outboxes us close range, beats us at mid and long range with lasers, and has a CG that is like, worth 60% free damage (about 40% + a dair or two assuming you're still onstage). You can't be safe vs. Falco. You need to make really ballsy reads a lot of the time. =/

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
1) Don't get grabbed while you're in CG %s. Camp really hard and sneak in some eggs where you can (just do so in a way such that you never throw an egg close enough to get grabbed for it). Eating lasers is OK at this point because it takes you out of CG %s while giving you chances to trade with eggs.

2) This one's important: if you get a stock lead, CAMP LIKE YOU'VE NEVER CAMPED BEFORE. One of the only advantages we really have to press in this MU is the fact that we are one of the most mobile characters in the game and Falco sucks at KOing. If you ever have a stock lead, every single decision you make should be motivated by the goal of not getting KOed. Don't worry about damaging Falco; just don't get KOed. Don't get me wrong, this MU is bad, but if Falco ever lets you get a stock lead on him, you can (and should) make him suffer for it. The best wins I've gotten in this MU have resulted from me getting a stock lead and playing like a total asshole to make sure he can't catch up.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
^ That's actually really good advice...

While I think of it, are we safe throwing eggs just at his feet or can they still be reflected back at us?

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I have couple a couple of questions related to Dragonic Reverse. I tried to read the guide for it but I couldn't understand what DR exactly is. The guide shows how to perform it without telling how it should look like. And is it okay to use different button mapping? I use Classic Controller with Tap Jump OFF and L is set to Jump.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
DR is basically a waveland.
It's perfectly okay to use a different button setup for DR. Hell I probably have the most unique button setup compared to the rest of the Yoshi's.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I use Classic Controller Pro,and I use B for jumps (Tap-Jump off),A for normal attacks,Y for specials and X for grabs.

I can DR aerials easily(even though I don't use it much on matches) but when I try to DR a ground move(like a Fsmash) I miss...

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to DR but all my Yoshi does is: Jump -> doing Aerial during Double Jump. Are my inputs too slow or something?

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
What exactly is an autocancel? I keep seeing the term everywhere but never an explanation
An auto cancel is when you use an aerial is a way that cuts all(or at least most I think) ending lag when you touch the ground. Different aerials have their different auto cancel points. Like say iirc Yoshi's bair autocancels when you fast fall it into the ground at any point in the animation. Thats why its such a combo able move. However with other aerials, you must time it so you land during the end of the animation. An example for that is Ganon's Thunderstorming(aka his rapid use of SH D-air).

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
What exactly is an autocancel? I keep seeing the term everywhere but never an explanation
What courage said.
Basically if you land on the ground after a certain point in the animation, your character won't do the whole "WHOOP! I'VE FALLEN!" animation. A good example is Yoshi's down air. If you land it early he slumps over on the ground for a bit and you can't move. This is called landing lag, and every aerial normal has it. However, if you end it JUST after he does all his kicks he'll land with 0 lag and you'll be able to act immediately when you hit the ground.

Keep in mind that all aerial normals have different autacancel timings. Experiment with each of them until you get the hang of it. Also, keep in mind that you don't always have to autacancel. Lucario for example can end his jumps with n-air pretty safely because the landing lag after n-air is very short.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Yoshi Boards first of all, shoutouts to you guys I love seeing yoshi players whenever i can since I'm fond of the character myself but never went serious to main him. This is my first time posting in the Yoshi boards I believe? Anywho I actually have curious questions that I've been wondering the answers to and I came by to ask:

• In terms of Yoshi's survival DI, best aerial is N-air or U-air? (always thought it was U-air but i re-read Yoshi's frame data and N-air looks pretty good on par with U-air) The more interesting question below is:
  • Does Egg Roll really cancel horizontal and vertical momentum that well? I hear that Egg Roll cancels both vertical and horizontal momentum, but mostly a large amount of horizontal momentum. I apparently read up that Egg Roll is one of the few Special Moves that cancels both momentum here: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Momentum_canceling Last question for now is:
  • Would you ever recommend yoshi mains/beginners to use Egg Roll for emergency MC (Momentum Cancel) and if so, when? Vertically launched Hit-stun?

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hey Yoshi Boards first of all, shoutouts to you guys I love seeing yoshi players whenever i can since I'm fond of the character myself but never went serious to main him. This is my first time posting in the Yoshi boards I believe? Anywho I actually have curious questions that I've been wondering the answers to and I came by to ask:

• In terms of Yoshi's survival DI, best aerial is N-air or U-air? (always thought it was U-air but i re-read Yoshi's frame data and N-air looks pretty good on par with U-air) The more interesting question below is:
  • Does Egg Roll really cancel horizontal and vertical momentum that well? I hear that Egg Roll cancels both vertical and horizontal momentum, but mostly a large amount of horizontal momentum. I apparently read up that Egg Roll is one of the few Special Moves that cancels both momentum here: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Momentum_canceling Last question for now is:
  • Would you ever recommend yoshi mains/beginners to use Egg Roll for emergency MC (Momentum Cancel) and if so, when? Vertically launched Hit-stun?
I'll and answer all of your questions at once.

Yes Egg Roll stops all horizontal and vertical momentum. However I think I speak for most Yoshis when I say we rarely ever use egg roll on purpose. This is because once you use egg roll mid-air you wont be able to break out of the egg for a few seconds while you plummet. After you are free you will be sent into a helpless state and be unable to recover regardless of where you egg rolled midair. I've tried, and egg rolling offstage to momentum cancel will always seal your doom. Your only hope of momentum cancelling with egg roll are situations when you sent flying straight up Over the stage. However as said before you vulnerablity while coming down is very glaring and you are pretty much open to attack. An attack that will most likely kill you since you attempted to momentum cancel at death percent.

As an alternate and more effective way of momentum cancelling would be U-Air. Uair is a faster and more effective momentum cancel. Dont forget about DI, as it is just as important.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
what about Bair?

I use it almost every time for momentum cancelling and it think it works.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think Uair is the standard for momentum cancelling. I believe the idea is to use the aerial with the shortest duration so you can jump faster, but I'm not sure which one that is. According to this (http://www.smashboards.com/threads/yoshis-entire-frame-data.249046/), Yoshi's shortest lasting aerial is Uair. While it isn't the shortest normally, it's IASA at frame 38, which is the fastest you can act out of any of our aerials. Bair ends frame 39 though, which is only one frame slower. I think Uair is better though, because Bair involves inputting a directional input towards the blastzone. But either is fine.

As far as Egg Roll Braking is concerned, I HAVE done it before, and it's possible to reach the ledge if you cancel out of it fast enough and you're high enough off stage. However, it's typically an easy ledgehog for the opponent. I'd just Egg Roll Brake if you think you're going to die regardless of momentum cancel > DJ, and then just pray that you can make it. Lylat helps you if the side you're on is tilted downwards, as it becomes possible to actually land on stage in that situation. On Yoshi's Island you can also hope for the ghost to come up and save you. On some counterpick stages, you can hope for stage transitions to help you as well.

Basically, do it as a last resort, and then pray. For the record, I've successfully used it (meaning I actually made it to the ledge/stage) in a couple matches, so it's a useful thing to consider.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Really? Hmm i've only really tried it on nuetrals.

From the times you made it what was your general position? Like in the top corner or the top of the blast zone near the center? Something like that?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'll and answer all of your questions at once.

Your only hope of momentum cancelling with egg roll are situations when you sent flying straight up Over the stage. However as said before you vulnerablity while coming down is very glaring and you are pretty much open to attack.
As an alternate and more effective way of momentum cancelling would be U-Air. Uair is a faster and more effective momentum cancel. Dont forget about DI, as it is just as important.
Thanks Courage:yoshi2:. When you're talking about an alternate way of MC'ing using U-air for for your MC'ing aerial what would you do in the heat of the moment after U-air input for both horizontal and vertical momentum? I wanna try and answer myself as a guess and say:
  • {DI+MC Formula example: (MC(Aerial) + Jump/AD/Aerial/Special Move) = Still Living :yoshi2:}
  • When horizontally launched: U-air + DJ F-air for the general way of thinking to DI horizontal Hit-stun.
  • When vertically launched: U-air + Egg Roll for the most extreme last resort to a huge vertical knock-back scaling hit

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
what about Bair?

I use it almost every time for momentum cancelling and it think it works.

I've noticed myself doing B-air on accident sometimes, the times i do it i miraculously live with other inputs right after B-air like AD or another aerial so, idk maybe :cool:

I think Uair is better though, because Bair involves inputting a directional input towards the blastzone. But either is fine.
^ This Not to mention when being in Hit-stun B-air is 4 hit-boxes inching you closer towards the blast zone (Idk if that would be worth mentioning if that's even true someone clarify that for me :()

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
it's possible to reach the ledge if you cancel out of it fast enough and you're high enough off stage. However, it's typically an easy ledgehog for the opponent. I'd just Egg Roll Brake if you think you're going to die regardless of momentum cancel > DJ, and then just pray that you can make it. Lylat helps you if the side you're on is tilted downwards, as it becomes possible to actually land on stage in that situation. On Yoshi's Island you can also hope for the ghost to come up and save you. On some counterpick stages, you can hope for stage transitions to help you as well.

Basically, do it as a last resort, and then pray. For the record, I've successfully used it (meaning I actually made it to the ledge/stage) in a couple matches, so it's a useful thing to consider.
Thanks a lot Delta-cod:) I'll probably consider using Egg Roll Brake for vertical launches from now on for future clutch MC moments. I can really see this done in a 2v2 game and your partner could have stage awareness and save you without being gimped. I can see this being used also for the counterpick stages like you've said, especially SmashVille's moving platform if it's conveniently there :yoshi2:.

Again thanks yoshi mains :D

Scatz

Smash Champion
Feel free to come by more often. We're here to help out others new to Yoshi and wish to get better with him.

Also stop using separate posts to answer multiple people. There's an edit button for that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Really? Hmm i've only really tried it on nuetrals.

From the times you made it what was your general position? Like in the top corner or the top of the blast zone near the center? Something like that?
A little below the top corner (I got hit by a horizontally sending move, like MK's Dsmash). You need very good DI to make it.

Thanks Courage:yoshi2:. When you're talking about an alternate way of MC'ing using U-air for for your MC'ing aerial what would you do in the heat of the moment after U-air input for both horizontal and vertical momentum? I wanna try and answer myself as a guess and say:
  • {DI+MC Formula example: (MC(Aerial) + Jump/AD/Aerial/Special Move) = Still Living :yoshi2:}
  • When horizontally launched: U-air + DJ F-air for the general way of thinking to DI horizontal Hit-stun.
  • When vertically launched: U-air + Egg Roll for the most extreme last resort to a huge vertical knock-back scaling hit
Depends on how hard I was hit horizontally. If I can survive without the DJ, I'll save it and drift back to stage. Otherwise I'll use it. Maybe I'll also Egg Roll.

As far as using Egg Roll is concerned, here's how to get it out the fastest.

Hitlag Cancel: You can cancel the Hitlag with an Airdodge at Frame 14 and with an Aerial at Frame 26.

Airdodge ends Frame 49. Uair can be canceled Frame 38.

Airdodging as soon as possible would mean you could start Egg Roll on frame 63. Uairing into Egg roll would mean you'd start Egg Roll on Frame 64.

So Airdodge would be faster, but the extra MC you get from Uairing probably gives you extra time to Egg roll. So basically, never Air Dodge to MC.

Frame Data Link: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/yoshis-entire-frame-data.249046/

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Feel free to come by more often. We're here to help out others new to Yoshi and wish to get better with him
Also stop using separate posts to answer multiple people. There's an edit button for that.
  • Thanks for clarifying that for me Scatz, I never know if ppl don't like really long posts or not here yet sorry but again thanks. I have a couple of replays for critique do I post those to the Video Thread? Only video-related thread i saw :(

A little below the top corner (I got hit by a horizontally sending move, like MK's Dsmash).Depends on how hard I was hit horizontally. If I can survive without the DJ, I'll save it and drift back to stage. Otherwise I'll use it. Maybe I'll also Egg Roll.

As far as using Egg Roll is concerned, here's how to get it out the fastest.

Hitlag Cancel: You can cancel the Hitlag with an Airdodge at Frame 14 and with an Aerial at Frame 26.

Airdodge ends Frame 49. Uair can be canceled Frame 38.

Airdodging as soon as possible would mean you could start Egg Roll on frame 63. Uairing into Egg roll would mean you'd start Egg Roll on Frame 64.

So Airdodge would be faster, but the extra MC you get from Uairing probably gives you extra time to Egg roll. So basically, never Air Dodge to MC.

Frame Data Link: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/yoshis-entire-frame-data.249046/
    • Yeah right on, definitely looks good to me Delta :yoshimelee: The only characters that should AD would be Ike/Snake as far as i know. I really wanna see this in a replay/video somewhere if someone has a reference for it for Egg Roll Braking.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yes, videos for critique go in the video thread.

Well, none of my sets are ever streamed/recorded. So I got nothing for you. I doubt anyone else has an example video either.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yes, videos for critique go in the video thread.

Well, none of my sets are ever streamed/recorded. So I got nothing for you. I doubt anyone else has an example video either.

Radical :yoshi2:, I'll be sure to do that, One last question for the good of the thread:

• I'm about to get off, I'll ttyl Yoshi boards, BUT/ How do you cancel/release your Egg lay grab to snatch them and go from there with a follow-up FootStool/N-air/Jab/Etc. ?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You can't really control it. It happens when the Egg Lay animation ends before you actually swallow the opponent, so they end up in a Grab Release animation while you have standard Egg Lay end lag. The frame advantage is ENORMOUS, enough to Fsmash your opponent if you can react to the situation properly if you're on the ground.

We don't really know the exact conditions for it happening. I think it has something to do with grabbing with the very tip of the grab box for the move, on one of the last (or the actual) last frame the grab box is active.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I try and practice it. But you'd kinda need like the precision of the gods to properly land it(consistently) while people are constantly moving in a match.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You have to have the hitbox of Yoshi's tongue land on the opponent 1 frame AFTER the tongue is fully extended (that's the last frame he'll actually turn opponents into an egg). Problem is, that's also the only frame to have a chance at doing it. There's no way to practice it when it's pretty much luck to land it in the first place without a specially designed setup, like the over the ledge setup on Wolf.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
Two questions:

1) How exactly do you wavebounce egg toss/egg lay? I've read up on it and tried, but I cant get it down w/o b-sticking

2) After looking at the video critique thread today (never really did it before because I figured I wouldnt gain anything from it since I dont currently have a means of gameplay videos), I've decided to try to learn to use egg lays in my gameplay, especially the DJCed ones.

I've learned how to basically do it, but the problem is I cant consistently use it. If I try to DJC egg lay forward, I might either: egg roll; land it, but face the wrong way; or land it, but not get the momentum (so I'd just stop the moment I use egg lay). Same thing basically happens when I go backwards

Any tips? :facepalm:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Omg I would love to be able to input B-stickable WB'd Egg Lays, especially for options walking off platforms snagging them in an egg over a platform :yoshi2:.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'm not too consistent at wavebouncing egg throw yet so I won't be very helpful there, but to wavebounce egg lay, jump forward, hold slightly backwards on the control stick, smash the control stick forward and press B.(Pretty sure that's right anyway) It's really hard to learn and even a little frustrating at first, but when it's in your muscle memory you don't really need to think about it.

DJC egg lay can be used in a variety of ways/directions, but for the basic one when you're DJing forward (short hops are better for this needless to say), it's just jump in a direction> double jump> let go of the control stick (to let it reset so you don't get a sideB) and of course, neutralB. It's that simple :) As for going backwards but facing forward, you just tilt the control stick forward slightly when jumping backwards. Again, may take a while to get down. But it's worth it.
It basically just comes down to letting the control stick reset, this applies to the other types of DJC egglays you can do.
Hope that helps somewhat, I'm not the best at explaining.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
Hmmm I might have a prob with my control stick resetting...

I've done it before almost perfectly on a classic controller (but so much slower), but now that I've swapped back to my gc controller (I got one of those converter thingies that allow me to play a gc controller like a cc for the wiiu) hmmm...

Edit: Yeah, it's my gc control stick not resetting to neutral properly. My poor controller T.T

(I'm referring to the DJC egg lay atm)

Lemme work on the wb specials..

Edit 2: yep... Still can't do wb egg lay xP

But I can do wb egg toss tho!

Also, mason, you mentioned your input about how to wb before you edited it out (yeah I saw it before I logged in :p).. Can you repost it?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Also, mason, you mentioned your input about how to wb before you edited it out (yeah I saw it before I logged in :p).. Can you repost it?
)= I removed it because at first it didn't seem accurate to me when i re-read it but sure i'll try:

Ways to WB Egg Lay forward:
  • SH or FH backward then input B-reversal to propel forward to WB forward
Ways to WB Egg Lay backward:(This is a lot harder to do w/o B-sticking imo cus it's input is hard to do without any practice)
  • SH or FH forward then input back in the control stick then B-reverse forward to WB backward
Only ways I found so far to WB =/

Top Bottom