• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I hate sv against marth and I haven't a clue why. =/

I still insist on it being a pretty even mu, but I feel it's an impossible mu to explain to people. =/
I like it because it gives us more options when getting off the ledge. At higher percents, Marth is VERY scary to return against. He spaces for tipper Fsmash, and that spacing really does block anything you'd think about doing. @_@

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
but isnt sv one of marths best stages? id take him to FD cause id be more comfortable knowing he has no platforms. and on sv the platform moves back and forth and could lead to a early gimp or kill. marth is scary! O_O

Sharky

Smash Master
I like lylat vs marth personally. Although the platforms may seem to be pretty good for marth, the spacing underneath them just seems really good for camping him with imo

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whenever I go SV against Nike, it's Platform Cancelling wars. And goes on until one of us messes up to get a good amount of percentage on the other, or even a Stock.
FD is pretty good since you actually have room to run and camp. And I do oh so love Egglay Chains!
Lylat is okay, but I don't like getting Tipper U/FSmashed by Marth cause of the platforms.
YI is a a good stage against marth... until they start reading your slope shenanigans So this stage is 50/50 of me probably CP'ing a Marth main here.

At the most, With the current ruleset and me having port priority i'd probably take off Battlefield Lylat or YI and just wait to see if Marth takes off either One of the three I mentioned or SV/FD.
As for counterpicks, I'd say Delfino is good for Both the slope shenanigans, walkoffs, and cause of the platforms being slanted and a bit too high for a few of marths moves to hit us if we were to DownB from above
(Or course they could just read it, but most of their muscle memories are to rush in and hope a Tipper USmash gets us)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I like using Halberd against Marth. He can't really take advantage of the low ceiling and there really isn't anything special he can do there. If it's banned (as it almost always is), I just go FD.

Sharky

Smash Master
halberd's a fave cp of mine against marth, I thought we were just talking neutrals which is why I said lylat

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I just explained it. :<

It's a great Yoshi stage in general against characters who don't kill upwards early (i.e. DON'T TAKE SNAKE, FOX, OR OLIMAR TO THIS STAGE. BAN IT). It works especially well on Marth, actually.

Choice

Smash Champion
i just read, marth can't really take advantage of the stage, but i didn't see where anyone said yoshi takes advantage of it doing ___. i guess i'll just search further back.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Halberd is good for yoshi for multiple reasons. His primary kill moves (Usmash/air) kill earlier, his ledge game is significantly made better (recover from below the stage), and the solid foundation transformation has long range for chaingrabbing.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You all need to watch vids of my playstyle nowadays.

It is the most dumbed down, boring playstyle in existence.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Hey Yoshi's, I've recently picked up Yoshi and I main Mario and my friend plays Yoshi as well. He says that Yoshi's MUs are worst than Mario. I feel that Yoshi has better MUs than Mario. Would the Yoshis feel that Mario has better MUs than Yoshi?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As someone who mains Yoshi and seconds Mario, I can tell you this, Yoshi has better MUs for sure.

The only MU Mario does significantly better than Yoshi in is against Lucario, where Mario still has a disadvantage. Mario, however, takes the **** from multiple characters like D3, Marth, MK, and G&W as they can wall him to no end and completely hold him out. Yoshi really doesnt have a problem with this as he has ways around walls with his projectiles and superior mobility, but Mario doesnt have the tools to get past characters with far superior range and speed.

Mario also doesnt have ANY advantages outside of a few low tiers, where Yoshi has random advantageous MUs strewn throughout the entire tier list.

Yoshi > Mario, no doubt.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I'd say take them wherever they suck, but that usually causes them to switch to a pocket something (lol MK). I love RC but if i CP them there its almost always a tap out to MK.

I mean it really is character dependent.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just go wherever you feel best, it doesn't matter, yoshi isnt very stage dependant at all, he can go wherever really.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
How you you deal with the pit matchup. I got outcamped at a tourney this weekend ad i was like what the **** im i suppose to do

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You need to camp him at midrange. Basically, if you stay at mid range, a certain spacing away from him, he's not safe at all and he can't really camp you. He's not fast enough to get away from that pressure, either. Don't rush in blindly and don't try to camp back unless you're a stock up or if you're at extreme percentages.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
could anybody please give me some tips on the weegee MU whenever i battle one they always take advantage of my shield and destroy me with up b and his crazy fireball game works better even than marios and shuts down anything i try

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
I've done something I couldn't do again, so i'm curious to know how it's done.
while grabbing the ledge i jumped and did an egglay (not DJC). The thing is, yoshi drifted a bit offstage (maybe the distance of half stage builder block) in the air and faced the stage while egglaying. when i tried to reproduce it i always b-reversed egglay but facing offstage.

a little drawing:

----->* <- yoshi's position
___
__/ <- stage

Top Bottom